Damien's Photo Grow: Malawi X Panama Edition

• Thread starter damien50
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Rikismom420

Rikismom420

The autoflower will cause more problems if your environment isn't dialed in because you won't have much time to fix problems especially once flowering begins. Autoflower don't necessarily produce less yield but they don't have the ability to veg for weeks on end because of grower mistakes. I've pulled 30oz off two plants under a 600w northern lights auto

The average home contains 400ppms of C02. I think your entire problem in the setup of your environment.

The way I run my tent is in an upstairs bedroom.

I have a 20" box fan mounted to the ceiling in the tent that cools my lights and circulates air really well.

I have a 300cfm exhaust fan with a carbon filter at the bottom.

An intake line near my AC that pulls cold air into the tent

I have a heater and a humidifier connected to controllers for 72-84f temps and 60-65% RH for flowering but 70-80% during veg.

What is your RH usually at? Are you already flowering? Nutrients, grow medium? What strain? How long have you vegged?
I just attached my ac sealed to tent and I have a occl. Fan at bottom, started last night with 12/12. But I can’t really control the temp inside the bedroom and my tent is just 5’ tall. Which. Sux I found out ,that is why I starting my flowering to be able to have the lights not be too close during flowering.mine is the 300 exhaust at bottom also, have humidifier in tent and run that when lights are on.have aha going Co2 pad whether it works or not but my environment has improveved greatly from the beginning, ph problem....not like the weed u though seeds in garden then let go, long long ago...lol. I use ff ocean soil with some coco mixed in and ff nutrients as directed 1/2 strength as directed ,Rh I have no idea I know that heat holds water vapor better so feel that is in my favor. My hum monitor says 40 or so ,transplanting to bigger pots made much much better growing , the auto flower is because I have some seeds to use so thought I would do that later ,have my ledsat about 18” above plants , strain oh and big bud from ministry of cannabis...not really worried about strain, I know ihave one sativa and two indices which is fine, thx so very much for responding , I have read so much online , have vegged about 6 to 7 weeks , thx again , happy growing

damien50

damien50

I just attached my ac sealed to tent and I have a occl. Fan at bottom, started last night with 12/12. But I can’t really control the temp inside the bedroom and my tent is just 5’ tall. Which. Sux I found out ,that is why I starting my flowering to be able to have the lights not be too close during flowering.mine is the 300 exhaust at bottom also, have humidifier in tent and run that when lights are on.have aha going Co2 pad whether it works or not but my environment has improveved greatly from the beginning, ph problem....not like the weed u though seeds in garden then let go, long long ago...lol. I use ff ocean soil with some coco mixed in and ff nutrients as directed 1/2 strength as directed ,Rh I have no idea I know that heat holds water vapor better so feel that is in my favor. My hum monitor says 40 or so ,transplanting to bigger pots made much much better growing , the auto flower is because I have some seeds to use so thought I would do that later ,have my ledsat about 18” above plants , strain oh and big bud from ministry of cannabis...not really worried about strain, I know ihave one sativa and two indices which is fine, thx so very much for responding , I have read so much online , have vegged about 6 to 7 weeks , thx again , happy growing

Try some wet towels for higher humidity. I don't know how well those c02 methods work, not enough for me to invest in, and your plants aren't very big for a 6-7 week veg. If you can bring your temp down and raise your RH I think you'll be fine and be able to run those lights closer.

Higher temps hold more humidity but you're extracting air into what seems to be a dry environment despite your plants transpiring water more quickly due to high heat and low humidity. I say raise the humidity, don't worry about c02 and keep them healthy and happy to the end.

I also suggest getting some microbes and enzymes to help your roots and overall plant health. You can still do foliar applications before the buds start forming. So you can do a microbial drench, like a tea of Recharge or Great White, and then use the rest for a foliar. It will help inoculate your roots and protect the plant better against environmental stress, bacteria, and pathogens

With the autos start light on the feed especially since your soil comes fertilized to some degree you might not even use a lot of nutrients.

Rikismom420

Rikismom420

Try some wet towels for higher humidity. I don't know how well those c02 methods work, not enough for me to invest in, and your plants aren't very big for a 6-7 week veg. If you can bring your temp down and raise your RH I think you'll be fine and be able to run those lights closer.

Higher temps hold more humidity but you're extracting air into what seems to be a dry environment despite your plants transpiring water more quickly due to high heat and low humidity. I say raise the humidity, don't worry about c02 and keep them healthy and happy to the end.

I also suggest getting some microbes and enzymes to help your roots and overall plant health. You can still do foliar applications before the buds start forming. So you can do a microbial drench, like a tea of Recharge or Great White, and then use the rest for a foliar. It will help inoculate your roots and protect the plant better against environmental stress, bacteria, and pathogens

With the autos start light on the feed especially since your soil comes fertilized to some degree you might not even use a lot of nutrients.
Thx again my friend 😎😎

MDGrnthum68

MDGrnthum68

Thanks! This will be my first sativa grow and my first real attempt at photo periods. I grew out some bag seed in soil for my first grow and did pretty horribly. My wife has been urging me to start pheno hunting instead of growing autos combined with our dislike of indicas.

I'm hoping it goes well as I have never scrogged nor fimmed before. The hope is I can manage their heights by keeping consistent night/day temps to get stretching to a minimum. The seeds were quite small which surprised me but they seemed a bit vigorous compared to some of my other grows I had believed to have fast growth.

I'll gladly accept your help. Drop a link too your journal here and I'll keep up with it

Funk junky

Funk junky

Rickismom420 did you say ex tractor fan is at bottom? Needs to be at the top hot air rises.
Are you running your lights through the day? If so problem solved switch to night time.
As Damien50 said you can use an intake fan. But where as you expelling your air from outtake fan?
I run my outtake fan into attic to expel the hot air and make sure I exchange it for the fresh air that’s inside the room my tent is in. The best way to work if you’re reclycling the same air is sealed room.
That’s when you use co2 to replenish the air that has been used.
Personally I don’t see any any point of using co2 with extraction that isn’t recycled, as in traditional set up your expelling the hot used oxygen away from the grow.
I don’t see any negative pressure in your tent you’re tent should sucking in if it’s not your not exchanging the air. A little bit like you living in a room all your life with the windows shut.
Sorry just looking at photos again not sure about how you have set up but I would have exaust in top corner of your tent expelling the air out of room that holds tent you can use passive intake or intake fan but if the hot stale air is going back into the grow you need co2. Then temps don’t matter as much too you will want to run at higher temperatures.
I suggest you start a thread and then invite a few people by e.g. @Funk junky or and @damien50 as good etiquette and listen people here are there to help so remember everyone makes mistakes. Not saying you have just trying to figure out what’s happening in your grow:)

damien50

damien50

@Jimster

They were killing off short branches that had tried to flower but were pathetic below the canopy.

I think the problem was they started drinking more and my ppm was too low. I ran several gallons of water through them because I saw some under watering and I like to do it once a month. The current ppm is 1100 with a 6.0 ph but they slowed down on shedding.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
@Jimster

They were killing off short branches that had tried to flower but were pathetic below the canopy.

I think the problem was they started drinking more and my ppm was too low. I ran several gallons of water through them because I saw some under watering and I like to do it once a month. The current ppm is 1100 with a 6.0 ph but they slowed down on shedding.
I read a very informative article about overfeeding P and/or K, as well as everyone's favorite, Cal-Mag. The interplay between too much Potassium and the resulting inability of the plants to take up Nitrogen was very interesting, since it fit the bill for a lot of growers who are seeing yellowing leaves after using a fairly strong blooming potion. There was also info about Manganese (I think) causing Calcium to be un-available and causing signs of deficiencies, while the problem is actually from overdosing on something else. The Ph range was surprisingly narrow, with levels lower than 6.0 causing problems. With everyone keeping their Ph pretty close to the 6.0 level, it isn't surprising that these problems pop up. Of course, alkaline soil is also problematic but seem to be less likely than an acidic medium... plus many nutes are acidic and can contribute to these issues. I couldn't find the URL for the article, but I found it researching NPK usage under various conditions. It's a LOT more complicated that I really thought, and actually makes diagnosing problems more difficult, since a simple N deficiency might actually be from too much P or K in the soil, compounded by Ph dependent reactions.
This doesn't really apply to your current step in this process, it was just an offshoot of considering yellowing leaves and dried/burnt leaf tips and it kind of went from there. One thing I did pick up was that it is best to go easy on nutrients unless you either really know what you are doing, or that you have the ability to determine Micro and Macro nutrients. I've come to the conclusion that it's almost impossible to correctly diagnose something without decent lab type equipment, since any particular symptom can have a half dozen possible causes in addition to the obvious ones.
OK... enough for random, stoned thoughts. It gets hard to keep focused enough to make whatever point I started off trying to make.:cool:

Rikismom420

Rikismom420

Rickismom420 did you say ex tractor fan is at bottom? Needs to be at the top hot air rises.
Are you running your lights through the day? If so problem solved switch to night time.
As Damien50 said you can use an intake fan. But where as you expelling your air from outtake fan?
I run my outtake fan into attic to expel the hot air and make sure I exchange it for the fresh air that’s inside the room my tent is in. The best way to work if you’re reclycling the same air is sealed room.
Personally I don’t see any any point of using co2 with extraction that isn’t recycled, as in traditional set up your expelling the hot used oxygen away from the grow.
I don’t see any negative pressure in your tent you’re tent should sucking in if it’s not your not exchanging the air. A little bit like you living in a room all your life with the windows shut.
Sorry just looking at photos again not sure about how you have set up but I would have exaust in top corner of your tent expelling the air out of room that holds tent you can use passive intake or intake fan but if the hot stale air is going back into the grow you need co2. Then temps don’t matter as much too you will want to run at higher temperatures.
I suggest you start a thread and then invite a few people by e.g. @Funk junky or and @damien50 as good etiquette and listen people here are there to help so remember everyone makes mistakes. Not saying you have just trying to figure out what’s happening in your grow:)
Hi funk and thx,
Have extractor at top right and have fan by bottom vent on bottom right,need to hang my fan , I do believe. My extractor fan goes to carbon filter in same room, room is not sealed and I only seal my tent at night to keep out light leaks so I can start flowering , my tent is 5” high, I know ..didn’t realize it wa s that short...but that is one reason I am going to flower , so I will have room for my plants and my light ..leds two 300w.
The air that comes out is the carbon filter, has the cover on it so I pulled it down and the air was not hot or even warm

B

Burned Haze

I read a very informative article about overfeeding P and/or K, as well as everyone's favorite, Cal-Mag. The interplay between too much Potassium and the resulting inability of the plants to take up Nitrogen was very interesting, since it fit the bill for a lot of growers who are seeing yellowing leaves after using a fairly strong blooming potion. There was also info about Manganese (I think) causing Calcium to be un-available and causing signs of deficiencies, while the problem is actually from overdosing on something else. The Ph range was surprisingly narrow, with levels lower than 6.0 causing problems. With everyone keeping their Ph pretty close to the 6.0 level, it isn't surprising that these problems pop up. Of course, alkaline soil is also problematic but seem to be less likely than an acidic medium... plus many nutes are acidic and can contribute to these issues. I couldn't find the URL for the article, but I found it researching NPK usage under various conditions. It's a LOT more complicated that I really thought, and actually makes diagnosing problems more difficult, since a simple N deficiency might actually be from too much P or K in the soil, compounded by Ph dependent reactions.
This doesn't really apply to your current step in this process, it was just an offshoot of considering yellowing leaves and dried/burnt leaf tips and it kind of went from there. One thing I did pick up was that it is best to go easy on nutrients unless you either really know what you are doing, or that you have the ability to determine Micro and Macro nutrients. I've come to the conclusion that it's almost impossible to correctly diagnose something without decent lab type equipment, since any particular symptom can have a half dozen possible causes in addition to the obvious ones.
OK... enough for random, stoned thoughts. It gets hard to keep focused enough to make whatever point I started off trying to make.:cool:
( heard this/suggested from random sources ) I guess if you have a mild iron deficency plant at the end of its cycle ( it will yield more ) than having more iron or what your suppose to be feeding it? I never tried to make my plants “ iron def “ and did a compare but I have heard that on a few boards and a few pod coast and growers that view point .

I’m sure there’s a lot of nutes just like that, just like you were talking about, if you go over board ( your fucked )at that certain time , so if anything save the cash and underfeed in a tank and dry feed the more agreessive fert wanting plants ( that’s my technique) & top feed every 2 weeks till last 3-4 weeks of bloom

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
( heard this/suggested from random sources ) I guess if you have a mild iron deficency plant at the end of its cycle ( it will yield more ) than having more iron or what your suppose to be feeding it? I never tried to make my plants “ iron def “ and did a compare but I have heard that on a few boards and a few pod coast and growers that view point .

I’m sure there’s a lot of nutes just like that, just like you were talking about, if you go over board ( your fucked )at that certain time , so if anything save the cash and underfeed in a tank and dry feed the more agreessive fert wanting plants ( that’s my technique) & top feed every 2 weeks till last 3-4 weeks of bloom
I never heard about an Iron deficiency improving the harvest, but it will probably cut back on the chlorophyll! I always thought Iron was a great addition but stranger things have happened. It's sort of like the equivalent of a Cannabis Urban Legend... I don't understand why people think their plants grow better when stressed, other than producing hermaphrodites. Stranger stuff has happened, though. After reading thru the text, it makes it harder to guess on what the problems might be, since just about any condition can be caused by just about anything in excess or deficiency. I try to provide everything that they might need, but in lower doses than recommended. It's a lot easier to cure a deficiency than to try to cure an excess... or even figure out what the problem might be, if any.

damien50

damien50

I don't generally believe pk boosters are necessary if everything is done correctly. I've used them once but even my worst grows still yielded well. Though I am interested in primordial solutions terp germ but $63 a bottle for a flowering foliar applicator is high. I'm considering it my organic ebb and flow with pure blend pro, liquid karma, and sea green but I don't know yet. The medium I have the clones in retains so much water that I'm not even concerned with the cost of nutrients nearly as much as with coco.

I also don't like pushing until burn especially with all I've learned about microbes I find it questionable and would rather under feed than over feed. I like to let my ph go from 5.5 to 6.2 rather than a static ph. Indoor growing provides quite a bit of control but that is a double edged sword.

Funk junky

Funk junky

I don't generally believe pk boosters are necessary if everything is done correctly. I've used them once but even my worst grows still yielded well. Though I am interested in primordial solutions terp germ but $63 a bottle for a flowering foliar applicator is high. I'm considering it my organic ebb and flow with pure blend pro, liquid karma, and sea green but I don't know yet. The medium I have the clones in retains so much water that I'm not even concerned with the cost of nutrients nearly as much as with coco.

I also don't like pushing until burn especially with all I've learned about microbes I find it questionable and would rather under feed than over feed. I like to let my ph go from 5.5 to 6.2 rather than a static ph. Indoor growing provides quite a bit of control but that is a double edged sword.
It is good for your ph to fluctuate as different nutes have different uptake ranges and I don’t think you get every nute if you’re ph is dead same. Think the it’s only a couple of points in either direction though. Always better to underfed some people think more feed the better easier to treat a deficiency than wait for a plant to right itself after overfert. I always like to give a flush some where mid flower just to clean her out.
It’s supposed to be 3 times the volume of your medium, I normally put less. And then on last couple of litres add about a three quarter strength nutrient solution.
On my final flush first couple days I rinse through with a lot of water. I have used the shower for this before before shit with neighbour then last couple of litres I make sure ph is correct. So they use everything up. I let them go few days then just try to keep rinsing once initially dry . Then chop and hang:cool:

damien50

damien50

Day 42 - 7th Week of Flowering

Coco coir - 1140ppm/5.9 ph

Jack's FeED 5-12-26/Growpito enzymes and microbes

78-84f Leaf Surface Temp - Night Time Temps 62-68f

60-65% RH

4" Light Height

I stopped the excessive yellowing and #3 is going to be a yielder. #2 isn't really fattening and to have been they most vigorous is the most disappointing. If the smoke is right it will be between #'s 1/2/4/5/6. The cold temps have brought out a lot of oranges and reds in the pistils of the more mature plants.

Not a lot of pictures. Mothers are doing great in the Growpito with the same nutrients and a foliar.

Clones have roots to the bottom of the 5 gallon buckets and are doing quite well. I've cropped them once for training and because their height was more than I wanted. Over my past and current grow I've come to notice that thin, spindly stems don't produce anything unfortunately.

With the clones I've tied them down and fimmed to let lower branches develop height, I'm thinking 12", and ill have them circle the buckets to start an even canopy. I'll fim them at 12" and them down. Hopefully I can get more thick stems than thin ones with more nodes than what I've accomplished this first run. I figured with a 8-10 week veg I'll have enough time to prune weaker branches and be able to transition into flower immediately without the problems I've had this grow.

IMG 20190524 195030301
IMG 20190524 195026639
IMG 20190524 195021460
IMG 20190524 194935275
IMG 20190524 194915668
IMG 20190524 194902978
IMG 20190524 194824996
IMG 20190524 194758665
IMG 20190524 192644178
IMG 20190524 185820373

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

@Buzzer777 @Jimster

Just wanting to make sure that these sativas shedding fan leaves and non viable colas is normal. Upper leaves are a nice dark green but the yellowing is still going up. Never seen this before but I'm not willing to add N unless it's a problem.

@Buzzer777 when did you end up with no leaves on your Malawi x Panama?
That's pretty much what mine did..I mentioned that I was so new to Sativas I thought she was not getting enough food..I was wrong and the shedding was normal..It will accelerate from here..I don't remember exactly when since I had a lot going on here at the time (major PM outbreak again..pffft)

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
My grow has gotten away from me from a combination of Sativa's and Indicas that are difficult to control, since some are tall/lanky, some are short, some bushy, etc. I have to stay on top of it in addition to topping/splitting/fimming by removing some of the individual leaves that block light to bud sites uder them. I know it is a lot of work trying to keep all growing bud sites growing, but the difference in yield and size of buds is notable. I used an earlier picture of an excellent grow, but circled (in red) the individual leaves that I would remove, especially at the tops of the buds. The buds swell nicely under the areas that the larger fan leaves blocked the light, since the bud's size seems directly proportionate to how much light it gets.
Please excuse the use of the photo...please let me know ASAP if you wish it to be removed. This is only for an illustration of what I usually do to keep things as productive as possible without getting a canopy that is so thick that nothing can grow under it, lowering the potential yield.

Tent
Funk junky

Funk junky

Day 42 - 7th Week of Flowering

60-65% RH

4" Light Height

I stopped the excessive yellowing and #3 is going to be a yielder. #2 isn't really fattening and to have been they most vigorous is the most disappointing. If the smoke is right it will be between #'s 1/2/4/5/6. The cold temps have brought out a lot of oranges and reds in the pistils of the more mature plants.

Not a lot of pictures. Mothers are doing great in the Growpito with the same nutrients and a foliar.

Clones have roots to the bottom of the 5 gallon buckets and are doing quite well. I've cropped them once for training and because their height was more than I wanted. Over my past and current grow I've come to notice that thin, spindly stems don't produce anything unfortunately.

With the clones I've tied them down and fimmed to let lower branches develop height, I'm thinking 12", and ill have them circle the buckets to start an even canopy. I'll fim them at 12" and them down. Hopefully I can get more thick stems than thin ones with more nodes than what I've accomplished this first run. I figured with a 8-10 week veg I'll have enough time to prune weaker branches and be able to transition into flower immediately without the problems I've had this grow.

View attachment 871997View attachment 871998View attachment 871999View attachment 872000View attachment 872001View attachment 872002View attachment 872003View attachment 872004View attachment 872005View attachment 872006
Looks like a nice problem to have lol:fire:

damien50

damien50

That's pretty much what mine did..I mentioned that I was so new to Sativas I thought she was not getting enough food..I was wrong and the shedding was normal..It will accelerate from here..I don't remember exactly when since I had a lot going on here at the time (major PM outbreak again..pffft)

Well that is good to know. These next few weeks are going to be interesting

My grow has gotten away from me from a combination of Sativa's and Indicas that are difficult to control, since some are tall/lanky, some are short, some bushy, etc. I have to stay on top of it in addition to topping/splitting/fimming by removing some of the individual leaves that block light to bud sites uder them. I know it is a lot of work trying to keep all growing bud sites growing, but the difference in yield and size of buds is notable. I used an earlier picture of an excellent grow, but circled (in red) the individual leaves that I would remove, especially at the tops of the buds. The buds swell nicely under the areas that the larger fan leaves blocked the light, since the bud's size seems directly proportionate to how much light it gets.
Please excuse the use of the photo...please let me know ASAP if you wish it to be removed. This is only for an illustration of what I usually do to keep things as productive as possible without getting a canopy that is so thick that nothing can grow under it, lowering the potential yield.

You're good man. I appreciate it, as far as I'm concerned I'm still a novice grower, and ill use that pic for reference tonight

Looks like a nice problem to have lol:fire:

It is an incredibly sticky situation lol

Funk junky

Funk junky

I feel you brother got fly low these ends, in the rare times I run indi next to sat dom I put pots under the indica. But normally it’s a sat Dom run then indica run.
Summer is no go because of neighbour can’t expell ac out front an windows don’t open out back. Only other outlet is loft but that’s where I exhaust.
Neighbour has for sale sign up and had viewings I’m very happy.
Launched two bingo pajama from bodhi and will clone if find female. Only germed two as financially I may have to travel to a more affluent part of my country soon to fix a cash flow problem.
So that would leave me with a problem if I hatched the other six I have left. One of my good neighbours said he would come in and look after them, but maybe too much risk for me as this house is difficult for me without striping the house out and fixing all the air leaks into my neighbours house I have to be careful.
This is the first time I’ve used a spot again after being comprised (I have put one successful
Well that is good to know. These next few weeks are going to be interesting

You're good man. I appreciate it, as far as I'm concerned I'm still a novice grower, and ill use that pic for reference tonight

It is an incredibly sticky situation lol
i miss that when the challenge arises and you know you have to knuckle down and make it work :)

damien50

damien50

Day 44 - 7th Week of Flowering

60-65% RH

8" Light Height

11/13 Light Schedule

So at this point I have 5 weeks left according to Ace Seeds. I forgot I had a second net for my scrog so I threw it up since I had branches falling over and it made the canopy a lot more uniform. Defoliated some more and buds below the net are developing well. Unsure of the cold nights affecting color but the red pistils are developing quickly on the more mature plants. Checked everything with a microscope and trichomes are still clear.

No burning from the higher ppm and while I miss my pure blend pro and liquid karma I think the Jack's FeED is doing well.

I raised the lights because while I was testing some of this bud I got to thinking about inverse square law and how at a certain height light will overlap. I could be wrong but I raised my light up just to see. I figured, bro science, that with 1344 diodes all facing down some overlap should occur.

IMG 20190526 193057953
IMG 20190526 193050242
IMG 20190526 193023441
IMG 20190526 192431938
IMG 20190526 192406338
IMG 20190526 192354322
IMG 20190526 191917474
IMG 20190526 191558536
IMG 20190526 191547994
IMG 20190526 191542591

E

eirI

Day 35 - 6th Week of Flowering

Coco coir - 780ppm/5.7 ph

73-84f Leaf Surface Temp

60-65% RH

32762~lux/720~ PPFD 3000k Average

4" Light Height

11/13

And here we go!

#1 and #3 are starting to bud up real fine. The mothers are doing beautifully and those clones are still adjusting and probably developing root mass for the prosperity of my future jungle.

I've sampled #2 and #4. I regret nothing. Sampling the twins and #5 tonight. Nothing but energy, happy vibes, and goodness

The EB2's are killing it and at 502 watts I'll be stealing my wife's 555 watt lights in the future for the sake of growing perpetual bud that she smokes. It's a kindness.

Let's get to the pictures and thank you kindly to those following this grow.

View attachment 871200View attachment 871201View attachment 871202View attachment 871203View attachment 871204View attachment 871205
Nice indoor jungle beautiful flowers

Top Bottom