Dark Phoenix (Trainwreck x Jack Herer) Flower Journal

• Thread starter PerfecTrader
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I'm just gonna add this here, not to call anyone out or anything, but to put words around the traps new growers fall into.

I'm helping a buddy out on his 2nd hydro grow. He has had issues in the past, and really does not consider himself successful. Understandable. So we got him started out properly and the plants were looking great, just getting nice and big in veg, about to flip to flower.

He was using the General Hydroponics 3 part line, Flora Gro, Micro, and Bloom.

The feeding chart was working with some tiny adjustments.

Then he added this, also per the GH feeding chart:

LKB

Why wouldn't you want bulking?

Look at the label, it is just a giant dose of P and K. He already had that covered with the basics.

Within 24 hours, the plants started to take a dive. Being hydro, it was easy to drain and refill and get back to where he was. Less so in soil for you. But he thought he was doing the right thing, and trusting the nute company to have his back. What they really had was his wallet. This is an unnecessary product. In the hands of a new grower, you are asking for problems. Like installing NOS on your first car when learning to drive.

I think we all go thru this school of hard knocks, and I don't know any seasoned grower that has not killed a plant. Keeping your hands at 10 and 2 and right down the middle of the lane should be the goal until you get a harvest you are proud of. Then you can look back and think about ways to improve, and incorporate those into the next grow.

Everything you feed that girl should be something you can justify easily. If you have to go looking for reasons to add something, you are likely making a mistake.

Less is more. For now.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

@PerfecTrader we love you buddy and just want to see you succeed! It can be frustrating watching from the distance with remote support being the only method of help we can provide. There's a reason why I refuse to do IT support over the phone 🤣
love yall too and I can totally see why it would be so frustrating watchin me whine like a banshee over growing a weed. I do unfortunately have a way of making myself out to be a bit more helpless/knowledgeable then I am and I don't mean to.
Some times too many variables can make things overwhelming. That's why I suggested cutting things down to the bare minimum and seeing what you can do without all the added jazz. Your post above regarding pH'ing water made me chuckle. @Aqua Man has exhausted himself so many times on why treating the soil is much more effective than treating the water source when it comes to pH. He's explained it in detail in other threads. Your soil should have the capacity and additives to self-buffer your pH for the grow(this is specifically why I use fresh promix every run)

Dolomitic Lime
Calcitic Lime
Oyster Shell

Just a couple additives that buffer pH. Shit now I'm giving you more things 😦 or just use promix as your medium
Roger that and Puff may not know it but she will get NADA but water from here on out. Going to let that 2-8-4 soak in by moving blumats around. I will hunt down that info from Aqua about PH. Lord knows he has heard and seen it all. I do have Organic Garden Lime I bought if ever feel I should use. I'm about to clean out the res because it has 2.5g of tap water with 50 drops of ph down. You told me you don't like that and I don't either. Said it yesterday but suck it Puff, hope you like 8.69 ph biatch jkjk all in fun
It's not that the 2-8-4 "is enough" it's just the other stuff is probably unnecessary at this phase and stage. The 2-8-4 covers your macronutrients (N-P-K) for plant growth. Fulvics and Silica are not macronutrients, I would classify them as supplements. With that being said there are some natural fulvics and humics that come with the GG Power Bloom.
Roger that and I've nute burned my ladies for the last time. Less is more!

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

I'm just gonna add this here, not to call anyone out or anything, but to put words around the traps new growers fall into.

I'm helping a buddy out on his 2nd hydro grow. He has had issues in the past, and really does not consider himself successful. Understandable. So we got him started out properly and the plants were looking great, just getting nice and big in veg, about to flip to flower.

He was using the General Hydroponics 3 part line, Flora Gro, Micro, and Bloom.

The feeding chart was working with some tiny adjustments.

Then he added this, also per the GH feeding chart:
Yup, sounds like something I would do. Ya know cause more is better right
Why wouldn't you want bulking?

Look at the label, it is just a giant dose of P and K. He already had that covered with the basics.

Within 24 hours, the plants started to take a dive. Being hydro, it was easy to drain and refill and get back to where he was. Less so in soil for you. But he thought he was doing the right thing, and trusting the nute company to have his back. What they really had was his wallet. This is an unnecessary product. In the hands of a new grower, you are asking for problems. Like installing NOS on your first car when learning to drive.
Feel for him. That is me in every grow medium thus far. Done spending any monies thinkin it is the answer. Less is more and I keep it simple!
I think we all go thru this school of hard knocks, and I don't know any seasoned grower that has not killed a plant. Keeping your hands at 10 and 2 and right down the middle of the lane should be the goal until you get a harvest you are proud of. Then you can look back and think about ways to improve, and incorporate those into the next grow.

Everything you feed that girl should be something you can justify easily. If you have to go looking for reasons to add something, you are likely making a mistake.

Less is more. For now.
Love it. She getting some fresh tap water here in a min and will see how she feelin.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

This was a good thread with steamroller and Aman going back and forth. My tap water comes in around 7.8-8.2 and I don't do any adjusting.
You dirt guys got it easy in that respect. But CEC can be a problem for you too.

@PerfecTrader how deep you want to go with this crap. Wanna learn about things like

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Anyone else have a mega-drooler? This drool occured in the amount of time(min or less) it took to get peanut butter out of cabinet and put 2 benadryl in her mouth for allergen reasons.
Next pic is her sayin fk your allergies
Next pic is my patio table that I thought looked unique. Get wee bit too baked every now and then and wake to weird sand scriptures and sculptures 😂
Whats up with her paws?

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Whats up with her paws?
Wicked seasonal allergies and this is 15th resort. She licks paws and would until bleeds if not caught in time. I put duo chlorhexidine Calm in between paw pads then the socks for 20-30 so she has to leave it alone. We give her the kitchen sink and can't quell when in a flare. Cytopoint was last option and for $240 a shot I said get....d

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Puff day 49F update

Temps good overnight and daytime

Turned blumats on and they sippin Scottsdale's finest now

Some noticeable leaf deficiency and/or burn here and there but she will be fine 💪🙏

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Wicked seasonal allergies and this is 15th resort. She licks paws and would until bleeds if not caught in time. I put duo chlorhexidine Calm in between paw pads then the socks for 20-30 so she has to leave it alone. We give her the kitchen sink and can't quell when in a flare. Cytopoint was last option and for $240 a shot I said get....d
Poor girl.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Puff looks great. Did you turn fans off for the vid? Did not see any wind?
Aye 😂 there were a few takes. I have an AC non oscillating that blows up her skirt and then another AC oscillating from above her at this pace

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Does RH come up and VPD drop once the lights have been on a while? So respiring?
Yes. I turn my back-up humidifier on when lights come on. I have a ultrasonic 8L humidifier but I think not cleaning her killed her 😣 and now she only beeps

20230207 091816
20230207 091757
Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Puff is looking really healthy brotha! Can you post a pic of these questionable leaves and tell me if they came from old or new growth?

Might start running into some Cal or Mag issues here soon if you're just giving 284 and tap water. We will play it by ear.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Puff is looking really healthy brotha! Can you post a pic of these questionable leaves and tell me if they came from old or new growth?

Might start running into some Cal or Mag issues here soon if you're just giving 284 and tap water. We will play it by ear.
Seems to be older growth fan leaves. Newer growth and sugar leaves don't yet appear affected. Suggest maybe adding 3-5ml/g cal-mag maybe?

20230210 090931
20230210 090945
20230210 091327
Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Seems to be older growth fan leaves. Newer growth and sugar leaves don't yet appear affected. Suggest maybe adding 3-5ml/g cal-mag maybe?

Hmmm nope not seeing any cal or mag defs. If it's just on a few older/lower leaves I wouldn't stress too much. Let us know if it progresses or spreads. Blumats on 24/7 or do the gals get a chance to dry back?

Probably wouldn't hurt to cover some micronutrients over the next 4-6 weeks though. You wanna go the wiz route? Gypsum, Epsom, Azomite. 2 tablespoons of each every 2 weeks until finish.

Last edited:
PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Hmmm nope not seeing any cal or mag defs. If it's just on a few older/lower leaves I wouldn't stress too much. Let us know if it progresses or spreads. Blumats on 24/7 or do the gals get a chance to dry back?

Probably wouldn't hurt to cover some micronutrients over the next 4-6 weeks though. You wanna go the wiz route? Gypsum, Epsom, Azomite. 2 tablespoons of each every 2 weeks until finish.
Ok cool and I won't sweat it but will report back if worsens
Hmm I have Epsom but not the others. May have to look into sourcing. I will topdress 2 TBL now of Epsom. Don't think it could hurt. Thanks

Oh and about the Blumats. No I don't keep them on because I don't yet trust my "dialing in" skills with them and am fearful of overwatering. So I will turn them on till they drip half gallon then turn off. It feels like they want this every day. Would you suggest maybe 1gal then dry back 2 or 3 days then another gal? I'm in 7gal at 7 weeks of flower

Last edited:
Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Ok cool and I won't sweat it but will report back if worsens
Hmm I have Epsom but not the others. May have to look into sourcing. I will topdress 2 TBL now of Epsom. Don't think it could hurt. Thanks

Oh and about the Blumats. No I don't keep them on because I don't yet trust my "dialing in" skills with them and am fearful of overwatering. So I will turn them on till they drip half gallon then turn off. It feels like they want this every day. Would you suggest maybe 1gal then dry back 2 or 3 days then another gal? I'm in 7gal at 7 weeks of flower

I mean this with the best intentions. Perhaps bluemats aren't the best method of watering at this point.

Fully sature -> dry back -> fully saturate -> dry back. What you are doing now is probably getting the top 1/4 of the soil wet. Roots need water to expand!

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

I mean this with the best intentions. Perhaps bluemats aren't the best method of watering at this point.

Fully sature -> dry back -> fully saturate -> dry back. What you are doing now is probably getting the top 1/4 of the soil wet. Roots need water to expand!
Ok np and that is simply what needed to know. The blumats allow me to do exactly that if want. Saturate and dry back. I will ensure saturation today with little to no run-off then turn off for at least 2 days or 3?

Top Bottom