Dark Purple Disease Affecting New Growth?

• Thread starter browntrout
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jewsh808

jewsh808

Has anyone seen this issue before?

Temps have been hot: 28-31C Day / 15-22C Night with 75-85% humidity Avg.

Appears to be affecting all plants in the garden except a freezeland/timewarp strain that had flowered itself and was in and out of veg/flower all summer. Other than that some 15 or 16 strains of varying age have been affected.
Same thing I've been dealing with in Hawaii at the same time last year!!! It's a bitch...tried everything, every spray, every way...seriously wtf is it haha

Reactions: RLB
jewsh808

jewsh808

Has anyone seen this issue before?

Temps have been hot: 28-31C Day / 15-22C Night with 75-85% humidity Avg.

Appears to be affecting all plants in the garden except a freezeland/timewarp strain that had flowered itself and was in and out of veg/flower all summer. Other than that some 15 or 16 strains of varying age have been affected.
Damn I feel your pain, never want to deal with this again...I pray it never comes around again

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

There aint no cure. Sometimes they come out of it, but not very often 100%, and I assume they are probably still infected, even if they grow out of it. Most Ive seen die, or are severely deformed/stunted.

Im all but certain its a Phytoplasma, and is brought mainly by bugs in the Cicadae family. IE Leafhoppers being the #1 offender.

But my understanding is the disease gets into the roots of trees, and is passed on to bugs.
I will also speculate other type of trees/plants also may be vectors.

Phytoplasmas in Hemp were first discovered, and observed in Iran, by 2 Japanese Botanists in 1967... 1 year later it was found in India. It was predicted to spread.

Phytoplasmas are associated with plant diseases in several hundred plant species, including many important food, vegetable, and fruit crops; ornamental plants; and timber and shade trees. The list of diseases caused by phytoplasmas continues to grow; many newly emerging diseases, known diseases with an uncertain etiology, and diseases with diverse geographic distribution, have been identified in recent years as being associated with phytoplasmas. Examples are the citrus huanglongbing disease that is associated with aster yellows-related phytoplasmas in China (16SrI) (Teixeira et al., 2009) and with pigeon pea witches’ broom-related phytoplasmas (16SrIX) in Brazil (Chen et al., 2008). These are only some of the most recently described diseases on the list of reported phytoplasma diseases, confirming the widespread occurrence of similar symptoms associated with diverse phytoplasmas. This situation requires molecular identification of the

Phytoplasmas are mainly spread by insects in the families Cicadellidae (leafhoppers), Fulgoridae (planthoppers), and Psyllidae (psyllids), which feed on the phloem tissues of infected plants. The host range of phytoplasmas is therefore strongly dependent upon the insect vectors. Phytoplasmas possess a major antigenic protein that makes up the majority of their cell surface proteins, and this has recently been shown to interact with microfilament complexes of the intestinal muscles of insects. This protein is believed to be important for both transmission and infection (Suzuki et al., 2006; Hoshi et al., 2007). Phytoplasmas may overwinter in insect vectors or in perennial plants and interact in various ways with insect hosts: examples of both reduced and enhanced fitness of the phytoplasmas while they are in the vectors have been reported (Christensen et al., 2005). Phytoplasmas enter the insect through the stylet, then move through the intestine and are absorbed into the haemolymph. Subsequently the salivary glands are colonized, a process that can take up to several weeks. The time between a phytoplasma being taken up by the insect and its reaching an infectious titer
in the salivary gland is defined as its latent period. Some phytoplasma transmissions in insects have been reported to be transovarial, such as the insect/disease combinations Scaphoideus titanus/aster yellows (Danielli et al., 1996; Alma et al., 1997); Hishimonoides sellatiformis/mulberry dwarf (Kawakita et al., 2000), Matsumuratettix hiroglyphicus (Matsumura)/sugarcane white leaf (Hanboonsong et al., 2002), and Cacopsylla melanoneura apple (Tedeschi et al., 2006). Phytoplasmas may also be transmitted from infected to healthy plants through the parasitic plant dodder (Cuscuta sp.). Experimental transmission of a phytoplasma from infected to healthy dodder of the same or different species, is one of the main way by which experimental phytoplasma transmission is achieved. Recently the possibility that phytoplasmas were transmitted by seed has also been
Figure 2. L–P: L, M, N, grapevine flavescence dorée symptoms in Serbia; O and P. apple proliferation disease symptoms in northern Italy.
investigated. This type of transmission was first suspected in the spread of coconut lethal yellowing (Cordova et al., 2003). Studies on alfalfa (Medicago sativa) in Oman cultivations severely affected by phytoplasmas further showed evidence of phytoplasma transmission by seed. Seeds from phytoplasma-infected lime (Citrus aurantiaca) and tomato (Lycopersicum esculentum) from Oman and Italy respectively were allowed to germinate under sterile conditions, and tested at several growth stages. Some of these seeds contained phytoplasmas belonging to ribosomal groups 16SrI, 16SrXII and 16SrII (Khan et al., 2002; Botti and Bertaccini, 2006). Phytoplasmas can also be spread via vegetative propagation such as the grafting of infected plants onto healthy plants, propagation through cuttings, micropropagation and any other method to multiply plant material that avoids sexual reproduction

Also, just because they mention Yellowing. Yellowing isn't the only thing it does, and this also is probably not a Yellowing Phytoplasma.

My guess is that it is Witches Broom.

A Lady Scientist, 27 years experience can test it for $275. Shes in California.

[PDF]Phytoplasma and phytoplasma diseases: a review of recent ...
www.fupress.net/index.php/pm/article/viewFile/3300/2994..

Last edited:
Bobrown14

Bobrown14

Brother, have you found a cure? ...I lost many good strains to this disease or whatever you want to call it

Keep the leaf hoopers away anyway you can. I got a clone from a friend down in Tobacco country NC - shortly after I had leaf hoppers in my VEG room and then several clones I had going got sick. First time I ever had any plants up and die on me for no apparent reason. Some had that witches broom thing going, others just started loosing all the leaves, some plants just withered and died.

I culled what was sickly, sprayed to treat the leaf hoppers. Those fvcks are pretty tough too, had to get heavy duty pesticide out and I'm organic so I tried everything and nothing worked. So I broke out Monterey Take Down Spray and foliar'd everything in VEG room and quarantined all the plants. Till I'm positive no more leaf hoppers. It's been a month. Still in quarantine. Still a leaf hopper every once in a while.

I haven't figured out their life cycle yet. I'm indoors so I should be fairly easy to get rid of them.

I sprayed spinosad on them and the flew right thru that spray like they were taking a shower. ffs.

jewsh808

jewsh808

Keep the leaf hoopers away anyway you can. I got a clone from a friend down in Tobacco country NC - shortly after I had leaf hoppers in my VEG room and then several clones I had going got sick. First time I ever had any plants up and die on me for no apparent reason. Some had that witches broom thing going, others just started loosing all the leaves, some plants just withered and died.

I culled what was sickly, sprayed to treat the leaf hoppers. Those fvcks are pretty tough too, had to get heavy duty pesticide out and I'm organic so I tried everything and nothing worked. So I broke out Monterey Take Down Spray and foliar'd everything in VEG room and quarantined all the plants. Till I'm positive no more leaf hoppers. It's been a month. Still in quarantine. Still a leaf hopper every once in a while.

I haven't figured out their life cycle yet. I'm indoors so I should be fairly easy to get rid of them.

I sprayed spinosad on them and the flew right thru that spray like they were taking a shower. ffs.
Crazy, so far from people that I've talked to, I've had it here in Hawaii, also michigan, and 1 dude in south africa..yup I've tried almost every spray out there..from what I've seen, I had 1 plant have it, it rained that day, next day every plant had it, took down the whole op

H

HulkSmoke

So I found purple in one stalk of my outdoor grow and just assumed it was from cold, its been down to 9 C a couple nights. Then after some reading I find out I have the dreaded purple phytoplasma. I was going to cut off that entire stalk and see if the spread will stop. If I don't notice any purple in any of the buds or leaves do you guys think that it would be safe to smoke from buds that were not on the infected stalk or should I just chop the entire plant to be safe?
Growing Bruce Banner in Ottawa in pro mix soil mixed with perlite. They have been watered and fed liquid nutrients all season. I do have a leafhopper problem though and they have had powdery mildew problems off and on, I got them as clones with powdery mildew already and our summer has been very humid and hot.
Purple 1
Purple 2

I have been trying to find a solid answer to that but the internet seems shockingly split on this with some saying the purple makes the bud taste awful and other say if you see purple chop the whole plant down and bury or burn it. I want to be safe and not spread but I also dont want to kill an otherwise healthy plant.

Bobrown14

Bobrown14

Looks like you have a ways to go. Is that a flower?? IF so its pretty late for where you live. When do you think your first frost is??

If its just one stem - cut that branch off at the base/main stem and compost or burn it.

It's the leafhoppers spreading disease. PM you can spray plant with Southern Ag - Garden Friendly Fungicide. They might even sell that stuff in Canada or look for the active ingredient and search for it.

The Southern Ag stuff works on PM and Mold, its systemic and organic so one spray and you're good for a long while.

Nights getting cooler, you should start or are already seeing very humid night time conditions. PM only gonna get worse.

All might be for naught - no flowers yet and you only have about 30 days maybe... before frost. Hoping for a warm fall like last year. That'd be perfect, but 9C .... winter time is coming.

Bobrown14

Bobrown14

I'm indoors I have it on my clone table. Only plant I took off the clone table died. Clone table is quarantined until I am sure I got rid of leaf hoppers.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I'm indoors I have it on my clone table. Only plant I took off the clone table died. Clone table is quarantined until I am sure I got rid of leaf hoppers.
I was wondering more if anyone has seen it in 100% indoor plants from seeds, but I guess clones should be looked at too, although anything exposed to leafhoppers is at least a partially outdoor crop (unless they sneak inside and get established).

H

HulkSmoke

That pic was from two weeks ago or so but yes winter is coming quickly and it might be a problem for me. Its my first outdoor grow so it is a bit of an experiment all around. Thanks for the advice withe the PM. Its an up hill battle where we live this year most people I know have had it or are fighting it right now. Worst case I will wash everything in hydrogen peroxide and see how it dries.

H

HulkSmoke

I cut off my infected branches last Thursday and so far I haven't seen any spread. I also don't see any more leaf hoppers on them so here is the outbreak is over for this year.

P

Plan A

Hi everybody,

I have a natural solution.
I can send all around the world.

I'll be back in few minutes with some proof.

Cordially.

Plan A

Latest posts

Top Bottom