Dark Purple Disease Affecting New Growth?

• Thread starter browntrout
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Madbud

Madbud

anyone curious about the suspects/culprits.. these were just in the last couple of days.
Quick googling maybe the smaller one is a female and the bigger one... bigger one I see most of and my yellow sticky pads catch a lot of them, but this particular one was really big.
Leafhoppers

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Leafhoppers, and if you get seeds from plants that happen to make it, the virus will be passed on in the seeds.

Its called a Phytoplasma Disease, and is passed by certain insects, and some trees harbor the infection, and infect the insects. Who transmit it to your plants. This disease is also systemic, and infects all of the cells.

My buddy lost a strain he had for 23 years to this plague.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Leafhoppers, and if you get seeds from plants that happen to make it, the virus will be passed on in the seeds.

Its called a Phytoplasma Disease, and is passed by certain insects, and some trees harbor the infection, and infect the insects. Who transmit it to your plants. This disease is also systemic, and infects all of the cells.

My buddy lost a strain he had for 23 years to this plague.

Thought i would add this.

psysun

psysun

Only 1 of my plants that has it I would consider really bad --(the one posted the most pictures of with the red circles on page 15)-- seems to be seriously affected by this.
I wouldn't say it's killing it yet (like, it's not decling in health)---. but it's not growing, at all much really. Past two weeks its more or less grown a tiny bit *maybe*.--

The other plants have some blotches here and there, but they still seem to be growing fine and looking perfectly healthy...

Has anyone else gotten it bad, went through the flowering process, and the bud turned out okay?
Have been debating tossing the one that has it the worst and isn't growing... still not clear to me whether this spreads from plant to plant or by an insect vector (talking spreading here not initial exposure). There is just so much conflicting information regarding this...

We have another 8 weeks of flowering to go, just transitioned from veg.

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

If you smoke it, and the plant has been affected, even a little, youre smoking a parasitic bacteria/phytoplasma.

Most of the time from my buddies experience, the mothers fuckers grow really nice in veg, and as soon as they start to flower they go south. Some live, some dont. Some seemingly come out of it, and everything else in between. Most of the time though they are a total waste.
Id never smoke it myself.

psysun

psysun

If you smoke it, and the plant has been affected, even a little, youre smoking a parasitic bacteria/phytoplasma.

Most of the time from my buddies experience, the mothers fuckers grow really nice in veg, and as soon as they start to flower they go south. Some live, some dont. Some seemingly come out of it, and everything else in between. Most of the time though they are a total waste.
Id never smoke it myself.

I hear you yeah that is definitely a concern of mine.
If they flower fine / yield fine (which most seem they are going to at the moment) I wonder if some type of extraction BHO or something similar... the high heat would almost certainly kill the bacteria and rid of it in the extraction out of the plant?

This is by no means scientific just an idea that came to my mind. I don't even have the equipment a friend does. It just seems like that may be a viable route.... probably 20-25% of my plants are affected? It's a decent amount I would hate for it to go to waste but then again parasitic bacteria...

kalopatchkid

kalopatchkid

So to my knowledge, this has never been formally diagnosed by a plant pathologist as a phytoplasma. If it truly is phytoplasma, you cannot beat it like many others claim to have done with this problem.
The confirmed phytoplasma infections in hemp look way different than this purple disease.

This is an actual pic of a confirmed phytoplasma infection in hemp

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Theres also different varieties of Phytoplasmas, thus different symptoms, though I do acknowledge Ive no no verified phytoplasma verification.

I can tell you though, its insidious, and is also passed to the seeds, if any plant makes it far enough to produce seeds ect. It also eventually turns black in many cases. or just so purple, it looks black. Some plants do make it, some cmpltely cme out of it, but is still passed to the seeds

Beatnick10213

Beatnick10213

Upstate NY, first year growing, outdoor. 4 different strains from clones from a grower who’s been doing this about 6-7 years, I’m not sure he really “knows” too much, but he does have a few years of experience and seems to know enough to grow under normal circumstances for our area. I don’t really know too much about what I’m doing yet myself, but I’m putting in some time to do research when I can. I have two plants that are the same strain (Banana Kush), and they both have this as far as I can tell. Some info I do have:

It’s been HEAVY rain early on, I only had to water a couple days a week at most in June/July. My soil is pretty sandy, but the grow area has been supplemented with various bagged soils/peat and mixed in. When I first planted them, I used home compost in the holes around the roots. I’ve been slowly increasing the fertilizer throughout the season as I felt more confident I wasn’t overdoing it. Started with a gallon of fox farm grow big mixed to the heavy feeding dilution every other day for 5 plants, then two gallons, I’m now mixing half/half that and fox farm tiger bloom for 2 days in a row so far, planning on every day for a week or so, then full bloom fertilizer, unless it starts to look like I’m overdoing it. This is only on a few branches of two plants, and I’ve been fighting with waiting it out or cutting it off. I’m worried if I cut it, it will spread, and if I don’t cut it, it will spread…not sure what the right move here is. These pics are a couple days old, I can take more of anyone’s interested in more detail.

E213E95C 6519 4D84 BD6B CDA7D354B493
ADFC88E6 B990 4CB6 831A 98689FEEB3BE
7A10F5DB 2826 4A11 BE50 A1F43D8EF529
FCBF42BC FABB 4D82 AED3 93B476DB7066
9EDD549B E502 4038 9760 22844A8C701E
BA6DA7ED 5C5C 4AD5 917F 28884AC5FC1B
mike1980

mike1980

Upstate NY, first year growing, outdoor. 4 different strains from clones from a grower who’s been doing this about 6-7 years, I’m not sure he really “knows” too much, but he does have a few years of experience and seems to know enough to grow under normal circumstances for our area. I don’t really know too much about what I’m doing yet myself, but I’m putting in some time to do research when I can. I have two plants that are the same strain (Banana Kush), and they both have this as far as I can tell. Some info I do have:

It’s been HEAVY rain early on, I only had to water a couple days a week at most in June/July. My soil is pretty sandy, but the grow area has been supplemented with various bagged soils/peat and mixed in. When I first planted them, I used home compost in the holes around the roots. I’ve been slowly increasing the fertilizer throughout the season as I felt more confident I wasn’t overdoing it. Started with a gallon of fox farm grow big mixed to the heavy feeding dilution every other day for 5 plants, then two gallons, I’m now mixing half/half that and fox farm tiger bloom for 2 days in a row so far, planning on every day for a week or so, then full bloom fertilizer, unless it starts to look like I’m overdoing it. This is only on a few branches of two plants, and I’ve been fighting with waiting it out or cutting it off. I’m worried if I cut it, it will spread, and if I don’t cut it, it will spread…not sure what the right move here is. These pics are a couple days old, I can take more of anyone’s interested in more detail.
Same issue here and lot of rain here in Ontario north of you too. I found this (see pic)but it's a long shot. What does everyone think? Note part about soggy soil

Gallery 18195 3606 37255
20210723 205414
20210723 205356
20210723 205332
IMG 20210727 192020
20210805 194335
20210805 194410
20210805 194348
Beatnick10213

Beatnick10213

I have read that it might be phosphorus, that’s what led me to start increasing the nutrients slowly. It went away early on; then came back. My experiment this week is water with nutrients only, NO plain water until I see something happen, good or bad. I might be fooling myself a as it’s only been a couple days since I decided to try that, but it looks a little better after 3 days so far of this test. I’m making 2 gallons of 1/2 half veg and 1/2 bloom for 5 plants about 4-5 ft high, every day, planning on about a week or so just to test it. 3 plants look fine, the two that are the same strain have that purpling.

07A4D995 F6C3 42F9 B8ED 3E77917716F5
mike1980

mike1980

I have read that it might be phosphorus, that’s what led me to start increasing the nutrients slowly. It went away early on; then came back. My experiment this week is water with nutrients only, NO plain water until I see something happen, good or bad. I might be fooling myself a as it’s only been a couple days since I decided to try that, but it looks a little better after 3 days so far of this test. I’m making 2 gallons of 1/2 half veg and 1/2 bloom for 5 plants about 4-5 ft high, every day, planning on about a week or so just to test it. 3 plants look fine, the two that are the same strain have that purpling.
I also just started feeding bloom so maybe this will clear up in the next week. Very strange because the guy at my local grow store says he has seen it a few times this year too. I can say the one plant that has it bad is in the path of a down spout from roof making it more wet. All same strain. I don’t think it's a surface mold because it doesn't wash off. Is it the rains low PH and locking out the soil do to the massive amount of rain? who knows... let's try to keep this updated. Thanks for reply. cheers

3Dino

3Dino

Quit being confused by everybody's post take a Horticultural class at your nearest agricultural based University. And your plants aren't your lover so don't finger them they don't like to be touched they don't like the oils of your fingers just listen to what they have to say and then you'll know what's wrong with them

mike1980

mike1980

Quit being confused by everybody's post take a Horticultural class at your nearest agricultural based University. And your plants aren't your lover so don't finger them they don't like to be touched they don't like the oils of your fingers just listen to what they have to say and then you'll know what's wrong with them
HI Dino,

I would love to know your soil recipe/mix. You're plants are beauties.

Bobrown14

Bobrown14

When you cut plant parts off please keep a dipping bucket with cleaner in it and a clean towel to wipe and clean hands.

People are the best vectors for plant disease like viruses.

Beatnick10213

Beatnick10213

I learned this too late…the first couple times I trimmed I didn’t sterilize anything, but saw that it’s a widely held practice and have started. This is my first year, I’m ok with a little experimenting and loss as long as I know what to do better next time. Fix my mistakes.

mike1980

mike1980

Well here's updated pictures. It not looking good to say the least lol.

IMG 20210812 195034
IMG 20210812 195028
Resized 20210812 193115
Remykwp

Remykwp

Uhgg. Same fuckin problem. No answers yet huh? I looked all over Google, and it seems the bacterial infection from leaf hoppers is just a guess from general forum growers. Looks to be the best guess though. I have a plant that is absolutely covered with the black stuff. Like 60 bud sites.

Received 265783611702780
Received 154891830104981
mike1980

mike1980

Uhgg. Same fuckin problem. No answers yet huh? I looked all over Google, and it seems the bacterial infection from leaf hoppers is just a guess from general forum growers. Looks to be the best guess though. I have a plant that is absolutely covered with the black stuff. Like 60 bud sites.
Is this flu for cannabis. what the hell is going on I wonder.

Beatnick10213

Beatnick10213

I’ve been keeping with my routine I gave above, more nutrients, no plain water. Still have the same black/purple, but the plants look a lot healthier. I’ve got two plans in mind for the next month or two…If it doesn’t spread too far, I’m going to just let them grow, and pick out the “bad” buds, keep them separate from the rest as I dry them, and see what happens. If it looks to be spreading rapidly, I’m going to chop the affected branches off as sterile as I possible can. What I’m worried about here is that if I chop the branches off, and it’s spread by an insect, then they’ll just move to the good ones. If I leave it growing, there’s more buds and leaves for them to get into, so maybe some will be left unaffected. Chopping the bad ones off will almost ensure that they just keep infecting the remaining ones until I’ve chopped the plant down to nothing. So I’m going for probability on this one: the more buds I have for them to get at, the better chance that some will remain unaffected.

Top Bottom