Dark Purple Disease Affecting New Growth?

• Thread starter browntrout
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

JohnnyButtons

So here's how I started. I'll post how they look now
20220802 071211

S

Seawood

If it were a bacteria, that would be easy. Unfortunately, viruses can't be eliminated

So what’s the correlation between this virus and increasing K/Si to treat/control it? I don’t follow the logic here…and what is the root cause of the virus? How is it vectored? Are leafhoppers and other sapsuckers to blame? Has the virus been confirmed through lab testing?

The amount of time I have researching this phenomenon is ridiculous. I’ve been dealing with it for 6 years and this is the first time I’ve read of someone who claims to know what it is and not just speculating.

Pic is of one of my plants this year…

AFC3A6C6 6573 42BE 8034 CBFCEC79320D
Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

I may be wrong but I think K/Si help the immune system, and the Daconil outright stops the virus.

Yes, leafhoppers are most likely the main vector, but any bug that sucks the plant juice may spread the virus.

JohnnyButtons says he sent photos to his fertilizer company, and they identified the virus. They said it was a Cousin to Tobacco Mosiac Virus which has no known treatment.

Im for sure going to go buy some Daconil tomorrow, and treat what plants I have left. If it doesnt work, oh well, at least I tried, but his photos of before and after are very convincing. Not a trace of it left.

S

Seawood

I believe he was referring to Daconil for leaf spot or some other fungus.

J

JohnnyButtons

I may be wrong but I think K/Si help the immune system, and the Daconil outright stops the virus.

Yes, leafhoppers are most likely the main vector, but any bug that sucks the plant juice may spread the virus.

JohnnyButtons says he sent photos to his fertilizer company, and they identified the virus. They said it was a Cousin to Tobacco Mosiac Virus which has no known treatment.

Im for sure going to go buy some Daconil tomorrow, and treat what plants I have left. If it doesnt work, oh well, at least I tried, but his photos of before and after are very convincing. Not a trace of it left.
Ok. So sorry for the confusion. Daconil won't do anything for your virus. I was replying to another post about leaf spot. Viruses can not be controlled with fungicides!!! Fungicide is for fungus. Anti biotic would be for bacteria related issues. Once the plant has a virus, it can not be reversed! The K, in particular, will bolster the plants immune system. To be perfectly honest, the Si was recommended and no one can give be a great answer to why it helps. We will never solve this problem. We can only hope to mitigate it. Weekly applications of liquid P,K,Si seen to be helping me tremendously. I left a check plant just to see the efficacy of the applications, and that plant is devastated. I will post a couple pictures of some other symptoms that go along with this virus as well. You have to think about this like flu. Think about the development for a "vaccine". They spent countless money and time researching and developing something that is marginally effective. What do we do to mitigate the symptoms of flu? We try to stay healthy. Feeding the right nutrients at the right time will help mitigate this problem. With all that being said, I have a plant that just isn't responding to the K/Si applications. It seems to work on most. Do not waste your hard earned money on fungicide and garbage nutrients. I would recommend going to a turf supply company and finding solid chelated nutrients. Redox nutrients are chelated in such a manner that, even if your pH is off, the nutrients are still available to the plant. I've looked through many cannabis supply stores and the price that you are paying for some of this stuff is absolutely absurd. Between myself and my friends we have 30 plants. I fertilize them all for less than $500 with high quality turf nutrients. A plant is a plant. It's needs, in general, are all the same. I will follow up with a couple links with more information about the virus. It will amaze you how easily it is spread and moved throughout your grow.

J

JohnnyButtons

Here is an interesting article regarding tobacco mosaic virus in cannabis. It doesn't show the purpling, but my plants are showing the mosaic cuts l virus symptoms in many leaves

TomH

TomH

Is this virus being seen/detected everywhere?
I kind of wonder if we can do some data collection that identified where it's being detected, maybe with "heat spots", (red dots for highest occurrence, yellow for medium occurrence, and green for none)?
I'd also like to see details on other's efforts to deal with the infection.

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Ours dont show any mottling on the leaves. Just purple, black, twisted, stunted growth

J

JohnnyButtons

So what’s the correlation between this virus and increasing K/Si to treat/control it? I don’t follow the logic here…and what is the root cause of the virus? How is it vectored? Are leafhoppers and other sapsuckers to blame? Has the virus been confirmed through lab testing?

The amount of time I have researching this phenomenon is ridiculous. I’ve been dealing with it for 6 years and this is the first time I’ve read of someone who claims to know what it is and not just speculating.

Pic is of one of my plants this year…
Great question. K is widely accepted as an immune system supporting nutrient. It certainly won't eradicate the disease but it seems to help. When K is sufficient there is an increase in the synthesis of the high-molecular weight compounds such as proteins, starches and cellulose.This depresses the concentrations of low-molecular-weight compounds such as soluble sugars, organic acids, amino acids and amides in the plant tissue.

These concentrations of low-molecular-weight compounds sustain development of infections and insect infestations. studies show, the lower concentrations of those compounds brought about by sufficient levels of K leaves a plant less vulnerable to disease and pest attacks.

I'm not sure exactly how Si helps, but coupled with K it does seem to help. Read the article I linked. It will surprise you guys easy the virus is spread around.

J

JohnnyButtons

Ours dont show any mottling on the leaves. Just purple, black, twisted, stunted growth
So in turf, we deal with new diseases and bacterias that pop up on us about every 10 years. It's all new and until studied we have to find ways to deal with it. Viruses within cannabis are new and I have to imagine they are being studied, and hopefully remedies will be available. Viruses are brutally tough however. I find it hard to believe they will ever find a silver bullet type cure. I have to imagine there are multiple strains of viruses within cannabis which would produce different symptoms. It'll be interesting to see what the future holds.

J

JohnnyButtons

Here are two leaves showing tell tale signs of tobacco mosaic virus. I think the purpling could be a secondary symptom. I've got my fingers crossed. Can't lose these dandy's.
20220818 094425

20220818 093142

20220818 094409

J

JohnnyButtons

Is this virus being seen/detected everywhere?
I kind of wonder if we can do some data collection that identified where it's being detected, maybe with "heat spots", (red dots for highest occurrence, yellow for medium occurrence, and green for none)?
I'd also like to see details on other's efforts to deal with the infection.
Good question. From what I've heard, it's been seen from coast to coast

S

Seawood

From what I’ve read, there appears to be a higher frequency in the northern and northeastern zones and affects primarily outdoor grows. I’ve only come across two incidence of it occurring with indoor plants. The timing of symptoms is very consistent as well. End of July/early August is when the majority of reports are made. Same time as the plants transition to flower and why it’s often assumed the issue is related to a P deficiency. One issue is most growers don’t report back after harvest so we are left wondering how the plants were ultimately affected. We would have a better idea of what’s going on if there was a website/forum thread/etc that could be used for data collection.

Regarding TMV, it has been noted by the botany community that it does not exist in cannabis. People often tend to assume that any variegation/mottling with their plants is a symptom of TMV. According to the science community, there has never been a verified case of TMV in weed and any claims it does infect marijuana is a result of the stereotypical “bro-science”. Don’t shoot the messenger….

PotsieSativa

PotsieSativa

Don’t shoot the messenger….

That purple top is just -B, with colder nights. As is all the "varegation" and practically every other leaf symptom prominently featured on weed growing websites. Poly hybrid = poly symptoms and 9999.9999 % of pot growers miss them all.

To be honest I've always assumed it's a law you can only show boron deficient Cannabis online. It's all I see every time I log in.

"I'm not sure exactly how Si helps, but coupled with K it does seem to help. Read the article I linked. It will surprise you guys easy the virus is spread around."

It works by antagonizing the CaCO3 that's locking out B. Of course the mythical "virus" spreads easily. You're growing multiple plants with the same poor soil/nutrients/water, right? And ignoring a dozen B symptoms leading up to the drastic color change, right?

20220818 114507

Polyhybrid, poly symptoms, same cause. The "pros" in Cali are starting in soils <5.5pH to avoid this problem, since they are forced to pay for hard water instead of stealing clean water like they used to, in the good ol med days when Cali bud was still green. Cannabis consultants and soil producers are dumping so much shit in people's fields attempting to battle this problem.

Increased cytosolic CaCO3 contributes to Hydrogen-rich water, promoting anthocyanin, instead of natural Cannabis antioxidant (thiols). With a lack of base cations you are seeing an increase in H that eventually transfers to the plant, dropping sap pH:
Anthocyanin scale 2

When sap pH hits 6.4, you'll get fungal symptoms, which somehow reinforces the notion that this isn't a nutrient problem. When you've locked out B, you've probably locked out K also. Adding K without B will cause different -B symptoms, namely the "variegation".

Pot growers today, will generally do ANYTHING but grow healthy plants. I don't get it. All the pesticides and shit to harvest bad crops.. You can tell who took the vaccine instead of eating healthy... I never worry about things like that, because nutrition isn't a myth in my world, all the imaginary boogie men are.

Top Bottom