Decarb Was Told Not To

• Thread starter oLd1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oLd1

oLd1

Was decarbing but was told not to because each time it is heated my THC goes down??

old1

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
Was decarbing but was told not to because each time it is heated my THC goes down??

old1
Decarbing cannabis to make oil or edibles is necessary to convert THCA into THC.
Although THCA also has medicinal effects.
You need heat, but not more then about 120°C for a certain time, for me just 5 or 10 minutes, otherwise part of the THC will convert into CBN.

oLd1

oLd1

Ok was told Decarbing then Cooking heats it twice losing THC.

old1

mancorn

mancorn

Ok was told Decarbing then Cooking heats it twice losing THC.

old1
It really depends on if you want to eat the actually cannabis or want to just transfer the THC into your edibles. Decarb and infusing are separate steps. In the decarb process you’re cooking your cannabis at ~240f for 20-40 min and the THCa is converted into THC. During the infusion process the THC (and unconverted THCa) is transferred to your oil/butter/fat at a lower temperature ~180f. Most of the infusion happens in the first 45 min or so, but doesn’t decarb the cannabis further. If you haven’t decarbed the cannabis you’ll primarily just be infusing THCa into your carrier.

That said if you add cannabis into your edibles and then bake them, then you are going to be decarbing during the baking process. Obviously this only works if your edible requires a cooking process that mimics the decarb process. (You don’t cook gummies.) I’m not sure of the numbers, but the actual oils/butter in a cookie aren’t coming close to the 350f temperature of your oven and while it might do some decarbing will not be optimal. (I think a chocoholic chip cookie gets to ~170/180 in a 350 oven.) But with all the varying temps and length of the baking process for different edibles, it’s much better to decarb, infuse, and then bake. You should continue doing what you have been doing and ignore the advice.

TSD

TSD

I mean, maybe if you're putting buds directly into brownies or something, but that's not the proper way to make edibles. You have to decarb to convert to thc, and you shouldn'tlose much if any thc if it'sdone properly... I make butter and I decarb, then make the butter on low heat, then bake or make chocolate with the butter, and my edibles do the job, and I often only use leaf and trim. I would say your friend might be a little uninformed perhaps.

growsince79

growsince79

I mean, maybe if you're putting buds directly into brownies or something, but that's not the proper way to make edibles. You have to decarb to convert to thc... I make butter and I decarb, then make the butter on low heat, then bake or make chocolate with the butter, and my edibles do the job, and I often only use leaf and trim. I would say your friend might be a little uninformed perhaps.
I make dry ice hash and decarb at 240 for 25 minutes then mix with butter stir in chocolate chips and condensed milk. 20g makes 80 very potent bites. Or I make cookies and bake at 250. Very potent either way.

Brendanpre

Brendanpre

I mean, maybe if you're putting buds directly into brownies or something, but that's not the proper way to make edibles. You have to decarb to convert to thc, and you shouldn'tlose much if any thc if it'sdone properly... I make butter and I decarb, then make the butter on low heat, then bake or make chocolate with the butter, and my edibles do the job, and I often only use leaf and trim. I would say your friend might be a little uninformed perhaps.

This is actually my favourite way to make brownies. I decarb my whole bud, grind it really fine and add it to my brownie mix. I actually find it seems a bit more potent than if I extract the same amount of bud into the butter used for the brownies. I've always just assumed that its something like the entourage effect when whole buds are used.

I will also say that brownies are the only edibles I enjoy with whole bud, everything else gets either butter or coconut oil extracted THC...

TSD

TSD

This is actually my favourite way to make brownies. I decarb my whole bud, grind it really fine and add it to my brownie mix. I actually find it seems a bit more potent than if I extract the same amount of bud into the butter used for the brownies. I've always just assumed that its something like the entourage effect when whole buds are used.

I will also say that brownies are the only edibles I enjoy with whole bud, everything else gets either butter or coconut oil extracted THC...
To each thier own, but I like my edibles to taste good lol.

TSD

TSD

I make dry ice hash and decarb at 240 for 25 minutes then mix with butter stir in chocolate chips and condensed milk. 20g makes 80 very potent bites. Or I make cookies and bake at 250. Very potent either way.
That's how I make my fudge, but with cannabutter, not hash.

mancorn

mancorn

The THC infusion into coconut oil is only around 80%, 90% with butter. (Ardent has a chart showing infusion % at https://ardentcannabis.com/blog/how-to-infuse-cannabis/). So by adding the cannabis directly into the brownie you’re getting 100% of the THC and probably doing some additional conversion of THCa into THC (if your decarbing wasn’t ideal). The down side is taste.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

We cure our small buds and trim in jars along with the premium buds. Then we boil it into coconut oil. Then use the now infused oil to make baked edibles like cupcakes or cookies.

The flavor is excellent to bake with after cure. Not bitter but it does add flavor to baked goods. We like it.

and the effects are way more full spectrum and long lasting compared to fresh decarbed plant matter. That tends to give a flatter shorter high IMO.

and the quality of the weed is important to the quality of the high. I have not had a decent high from a dispensary edible. Potent flat and short.

growsince79

growsince79

We cure our small buds and trim in jars along with the premium buds. Then we boil it into coconut oil. Then use the now infused oil to make baked edibles like cupcakes or cookies.

The flavor is excellent to bake with after cure. Not bitter but it does add flavor to baked goods. We like it.

and the effects are way more full spectrum and long lasting compared to fresh decarbed plant matter. That tends to give a flatter shorter high IMO.

and the quality of the weed is important to the quality of the high. I have not had a decent high from a dispensary edible. Potent flat and short.
I still never tried a store bought. I heard its way overpriced and you need to eat 10.

mancorn

mancorn

Unrefined coconut oil will give you the coconut flavor. If you use a cold-pressed organic oil, the refined is equal in nutrients, no nasty chems and doesn’t impart the coconut flavor.

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Unrefined coconut oil will give you the coconut flavor. If you buy a cold-pressed organic oil, the refined is equal in nutrients, no nasty chems and doesn’t impart the coconut flavor.

We use cold pressed oil. The point was to not decarb first and ruin the edibles. The old school way works better for me and my patients.

For gummies, candy and concentrates more decarb is needed.

mancorn

mancorn

I still never tried a store bought. I heard its way overpriced and you need to eat 10.
I’m sure most commercial edibles use distilled concentrates so that they can make a consistent product. But as anyone who’s purchased pure CBD (from the AM/PM Mini Mart) can attest, it’s complete garbage. Edibles derived from isolates don’t contain any of the hundreds of cannabis terpenes and other phytocannabinoids and lack the entourage effect. Full spectrum products contain all the botanical compounds naturally found in cannabis. Many of the missing terpenes have pharmacological effects and are considered essential for pain management, but impossible to quantify or even identify at this point. (Pretty much the same dynamics you find in cosmetics and why you won’t find many natural ones.) At least store bough edibles are consistently shitty, so you know what you’re getting.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I’m sure most commercial edibles use distilled concentrates so that they can make a consistent product. But as anyone who’s purchased pure CBD (from the AM/PM Mini Mart) can attest, it’s complete garbage. Edibles derived from isolates don’t contain any of the hundreds of cannabis terpenes and other phytocannabinoids and lack the entourage effect. Full spectrum products contain all the botanical compounds naturally found in cannabis. Many of the missing terpenes have pharmacological effects and are considered essential for pain management, but impossible to quantify or even identify at this point. (Pretty much the same dynamics you find in cosmetics and why you won’t find many natural ones.) At least store bough edibles are consistently shitty, so you know what you’re getting.

that is a huge reason not to decarb the weed. Burn off terpenes. That kind of explains the flat boring high.

And the quality of the flowers is still most important. Full spectrum CBD oil I have had didn’t have much or any effect either. But good cbd flower does for me anyway.

sportyridr

sportyridr

and as usual...if its not done your way your doing it wrong...

don't you ever get tired of crapping on people?...fk'n arrogant

Top Bottom