Dirbags Rockin' Rockwool Revival Thread

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Anthem

Anthem

I've made chillers before by putting a tub of antifreeze in a deep freezer and pumping it through the wall of the freezer, then through an old radiator with a fan blowing on it. Basically a heat exchanger. The antifreeze just recirculates back to the tub in the freezer and the pump is controlled by an itc-308.

Cheapest and easiest is just look for a used window shaker AC. Ive seen them go for under a hundred bucks locally.
To add a little to this. You can ditch the anti freeze and just mix up a salt water brine to save some cash. It works well and will not freeze with the correct amount of salt in the brine.

Habosabin

Habosabin

By hand at first, then I use a pump and irrigation manifold on a timer by the time I'm multiple feeds per day
Do you think it's possible to grow one in a unislab and water by hand once a day? I'm doing hand watered rockwool now in two 6" stacked which seems to work but somewhere along the way it got calcium deficiency really bad. I didn't flush at all and my tap is 500ppm so not sure which one caused it. I flushed and using R0 now and growth is back but not sure what caused it. But leaves still mottled fir rest of grow which bugs the shit out of me because there is always something messed with my grows.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I've made chillers before by putting a tub of antifreeze in a deep freezer and pumping it through the wall of the freezer, then through an old radiator with a fan blowing on it. Basically a heat exchanger. The antifreeze just recirculates back to the tub in the freezer and the pump is controlled by an itc-308.

Cheapest and easiest is just look for a used window shaker AC. Ive seen them go for under a hundred bucks locally.
No windows 8 ft underground. I have one of those, a big fker that draws way too much for my 100amp service that I have just about maxed out..specially during peak times, like when the stove,lights,dryer,pumps,microwave tv's, freezer and such kicks on there's no room left for the 240v 20amp air conditioner. I was looking at building a swamp cooler, I saw a YT DIY with 2 - 12 V computer fans a 5 gal bucket, foam sheets, aquarium pump and some drip lines. I guess I better get at it...26c

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
No windows 8 ft underground. I have one of those, a big fker that draws way too much for my 100amp service that I have just about maxed out..specially during peak times, like when the stove,lights,dryer,pumps,microwave tv's, freezer and such kicks on there's no room left for the 240v 20amp air conditioner. I was looking at building a swamp cooler, I saw a YT DIY with 2 - 12 V computer fans a 5 gal bucket, foam sheets, aquarium pump and some drip lines. I guess I better get at it...26c
View attachment 1130918
If you come up with a plan let us know. I love alternative solutions lol.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Do you think it's possible to grow one in a unislab and water by hand once a day? I'm doing hand watered rockwool now in two 6" stacked which seems to work but somewhere along the way it got calcium deficiency really bad. I didn't flush at all and my tap is 500ppm so not sure which one caused it. I flushed and using R0 now and growth is back but not sure what caused it. But leaves still mottled fir rest of grow which bugs the shit out of me because there is always something messed with my grows.
Hmm maybe if you don't let them get too big.

Ghosttrainx

Ghosttrainx

Weekend update.. day 30 of 12/12. The room is filling in beautifully. Recycled nutrient solution is working well, things look healthy and not under or overfed in anything in particular. Amazing how fast the leaves grow back. But importantly, where they grow back.

My theory behind this is that fan leaves are necessary, but that doesn't mean stripping them is complete bro science. Removing older less efficient leaves during the plants time of transition allows more efficient newer leaves to replace them and do the work to uptake the most nutrients where they are better utilized for bud production during the flower cycle. Sort of like a corporate restructuring... out with the old and in with the the new lol.. All the while, greatly increasing airflow and gas exchange, and improving light penetration to every budsite. Two important things to consider when the plants are growing this fast and fill the room this densely.

Sure it might sound like bro science but in my mind, results don't lie. And this doesn't look too bad to me for a 3 week veg and 4 weeks in flower.

View attachment 1116689

Remember this lady?View attachment 1116690

Here is what she looks like nowView attachment 1116688

My take on defoliation is that it's a very valuable tool when growing in a high output hydroponic garden that doesn't have a cec. Next grow I plan to strip them even harder for sure.
Should do it all before flip in my eyes 👻🚂🙈🙉🙊

Top Bottom