Dirtbags Do-over... 🤪 Back to Organic!

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Glassdub

Glassdub

Ah i understand the microbes in organic grows help to assist with nutrient breakdown and uptake, and since im using chelated ferts their rapid absorption is not assisted by the microbes.
The other reason I opted to try was the implication that increase the pH range of absorption, so am I pissing money away using the stuff with Dyna Gro? 🤷‍♂️

Glassdub

Glassdub

I wouldnt feel too bad. I used it in coco with floraflex nutrients specifically for the cheap source of the right kind of trichoderma and BA.

But it is pretty disengenuous of some of these nutrient companies to not properly explain how their products really work and which sysyems theyre most suitable for. They'd prefer eveyone bought some and used it more than necessary.
I've been suspicious of Harley, always am when they have product to sell, I tend to think I just underfed attempting not to over & the problem will eventually self correct over time, that + its been kinda cold in my house & the tent seldom gets over the lower 70's at peak lights on.
On the plus side the roots are already peaking out the bottom water holes on half the plants only after a week so the base structure is there, just need to get them to stretch.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
The other reason I opted to try was the implication that increase the pH range of absorption, so am I pissing money away using the stuff with Dyna Gro? 🤷‍♂️

I cant honestly answer that question. The microbes may have some affect on absorbtion at a wider ph range. But honestly its not difficult to ph nutrients to the right middle ground ph and if youre using chelated nutrients, you shluldnt have uptake issues with any nutrients.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Spent the day recovering from poker last night. You manage to get the controller figured?
I figured how to make it work, but i still dont know how to calibrate it, or if it needs a timer. I dont see a photocell or calibration button anywhere and cant seem to find much info online.
Not a big deal either way. Quite honestly its gonna be wasteful in my room anyway, if i have to run it at 1500 and burn through all the Co2 in a couple weeks.. so be it.
Im not going to set it up to run until im into flower though to conserve the gas. I can handle a bit of a slower veg, i want to see what it can do to the flowers.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Fuckin.. 9 strains in here. lol, I know that doesnt sound like much to @Kanzeon but for me its a LOT! 🤣 I normally keep it to 4 or 5 tops just so the sizes and flower times can be managed a bit more easily. At least with organic, I shouldnt need to worry too much about different feed rates and some plants getting buildup etc.. And no flush.

Final strain list in the room;
6x 4 star general
4x Chronic mint tarts
3x chronic mints
2x Lamsbreath x AK-49
1x C99 x Durban Thai
1x Purple Wreck
1x Spiked Punch
1x Wedding Crasher
1x Sky Cuddler Double Kush

Pretty interesting mix of Indicas, Sativas and hybrids, and some really classic genetics as well as some flashy newer stuff. Really itching to flip these lol. Ive gotta tame my trigger finger here...

Glassdub

Glassdub

I cant honestly answer that question. The microbes may have some affect on absorbtion at a wider ph range. But honestly its not difficult to ph nutrients to the right middle ground ph and if youre using chelated nutrients, you shluldnt have uptake issues with any nutrients.
Yeah, sending it back.

Odiesel

Odiesel

Fuckin.. 9 strains in here. lol, I know that doesnt sound like much to @Kanzeon but for me its a LOT! 🤣 I normally keep it to 4 or 5 tops just so the sizes and flower times can be managed a bit more easily. At least with organic, I shouldnt need to worry too much about different feed rates and some plants getting buildup etc.. And no flush.

Final strain list in the room;
6x 4 star general
4x Chronic mint tarts
3x chronic mints
2x Lamsbreath x AK-49
1x C99 x Durban Thai
1x Purple Wreck
1x Spiked Punch
1x Wedding Crasher
1x Sky Cuddler Double Kush

Pretty interesting mix of Indicas, Sativas and hybrids, and some really classic genetics as well as some flashy newer stuff. Really itching to flip these lol. Ive gotta tame my trigger finger here...
I have heard mixed things on flushing with synthetics. I need to do some more research since im on day 40 now
Im sure some plain water wont hurt them towards the end

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I have heard mixed things on flushing with synthetics. I need to do some more research since im on day 40 now
Im sure some plain water wont hurt them towards the end

I did too. Ive always only used plain water for the last 7-10 but kept reading people say its pointles or worse.. So I ran 3 crops straight as an experiment without flushing and instead just tapered the nutes back.

For me some strains were ok tapered, but the majority of them didnt burn as clean or retain their flavour for very long into a joint, so ive gone back to water only finishes.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yeah, sending it back.

Yeah, Im starting to lean to the side of believing most of the innoculants are unnecessary. But i like to try shit for myself. And even that article had some questionable statements from the author. But i believe he's mostly right.
That said im still not convinced that none of them benefit the plant either. Biopesticides are a pretty big deal in commercial agriculture in Canada where normal pesticides are unobtanium. That was my primary reason for using RAW to begin more so than all the other microbes in it.

Odiesel

Odiesel

I did too. Ive always only used plain water for the last 7-10 but kept reading people say its pointles or worse.. So I ran 3 crops straight as an experiment without flushing and instead just tapered the nutes back.

For me some strains were ok tapered, but the majority of them didnt burn as clean or retain their flavour for very long into a joint, so ive gone back to water only finishes.
I can always run a test myself and see what i think as well. If anything i think it will help promote the fade since it will then use up nutrients in plant?

I've got 8 of the same strain in my 4x4 and i thought of doing tests harvesting at different days to see what i like the best and i could test with not flushing one.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Thats because they are all fed the same. Its the reason i started mixing individual gallons of nutes for each different plant.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Thats because they are all fed the same. Its the reason i started mixing individual gallons of nutes for each different plant.

Thats a good guess, i thought the same. But im not so sure. And like I said even the ones that burned were just ok. Not nearly as clean burning as a water finish.

Besides, there is no way i could do individual resivoirs for each strain.

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Thats a good guess, i thought the same. But im not so sure. And like I said even the ones that burned were just ok. Not nearly as clean burning as a water finish.

Besides, there is no way i could do individual resivoirs for each strain.

If you want to grow different plants together to their potential its the only way.

i tested 100’s of times in a row. If you get the taper right better smoke than flushed every time in my experience.

i didnt say it was easy. ;-)

the commercial growers i knew said thats why they just always pushed the feed then flushed as best they could. Hoping for the best results along with high yield.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Honestly i dont doubt it MiMed. You're correct about most things. I just couldnt make it work running one res for more than one strain, even tapering them all quite low a couple weeks from harvest. And nevermind not easy, there is no way i could run multiple resivoirs in my crowded room. I guess i am setup a little bit more like a small commercial operation.

That aside I think i would still recommend to anyone that hasnt absolutely mastered feeding yet, such as myself.. to run water only the last 7 days or the last 3 feeding apx. Ive always had excellent results doing that and it ensures a clean burning product.
There is nothing i find more disappointing than sitting on several pounds of weed that you dont really enjoy smoking all that much.

amekins

amekins

Honestly i dont doubt it MiMed. You're correct about most things. I just couldnt make it work running one res for more than one strain, even tapering them all quite low a couple weeks from harvest. And nevermind not easy, there is no way i could run multiple resivoirs in my crowded room. I guess i am setup a little bit more like a small commercial operation.

That aside I think i would still recommend to anyone that hasnt yet absolutely mastered feeding yet, such as myself.. to run water only the last 7 days or the last 3 feeding apx. Ive always had excellent results doing that and it ensures a clean burning product.
There is nothing i find more disappointing than sitting on several pounds of weed that you dont really enjoy smoking all that much.
Maybe this is naive, but what about basically taking a dry organic amendment approach the end of veg/beginning weeks of flower that will provide enough available (nonchelated) nutrients for the remainder of the plants expected life, anything excess,I’m assuming as an organic nutrient, will just remain in the soil but not be detectable even when still present in the plant. Does that make any sense?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That aside I think i would still recommend to anyone that hasnt absolutely mastered feeding yet, such as myself.. to run water only the last 7 days or the last 3 feeding apx. Ive always had excellent results doing that and it ensures a clean burning product.

i hardly am correct about everything but my goal was to harvest a different plant every week or two and i had a lot of chances to test stuff.

the difference between flushed (starved) at the end and properly tapered is much smaller than the difference between too much nutes which is always much worse.

and contrary to the cash croppers opinion. Small homegrown grows can always have the best quality. Automation and volume work against that.

Its why grandmas tomatoes are always the best tomatoes. :-)

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Maybe this is naive, but what about basically taking a dry organic amendment approach the end of veg/beginning weeks of flower that will provide enough available (nonchelated) nutrients for the remainder of the plants expected life, anything excess,I’m assuming as an organic nutrient, will just remain in the soil but not be detectable even when still present in the plant. Does that make any sense?
This is basically what @Aqua Man is trying i believe. In terms of dry amendments. But he is in coco.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

not for best results. Organic stuff and water only usually falls short. Usually need some supplementation or leaves too much nitrogen at the end.

i would always use a half dose and supplement to the plants needs.

thats what im doing with the ozmozote. I will likely usually only need water only but i want to need more than whats in the soil for flower so i can customize to each plants needs.

Top Bottom