Dirtbags Hydroponics Thread.

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
You probably can just figuring out the concentration may take some tinkering. And from what others have said who have experienced this stagnant water is where it's most pronounced which tells me as one reply said that some of the organics stay in more of suspension than being fully dissolved and the longer it's stagnant the more pronounced this becomes as they may form larger particles?

Tbh never seen this but that's kinda what makes sense to me.

I'd be curious to see how often it plugs up a Y filter in an irrigation line.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I can bet your nervous. When ya taking the plunge? I honestly can't see anything to worry about. Once you get it in the res I'm sure it will be no different than mine.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I can bet your nervous. When ya taking the plunge? I honestly can't see anything to worry about. Once you get it in the res I'm sure it will be no different than mine.

Not sure, I still have some pbp left, but yeah I'm uncertain about putting this stuff through the irrigation line.

B

Burned Haze

Pathogen issue seems easily fixable and preventable ...
(I’m not recommending you to uv hydro system, I’m recommending you to uv cleanse before the Rez ) if you tried to uv hydro while in the System it would absorb your stuff and hurt it as well .. no reason to map it that way

Uv the water before it enters the Rez

Have it connected to your r/o + uv ( or kdf85 + sediment before uv )
I have been doing this for over a year in my flower room and it makes my Rez last way longer , killing the pathogens from the get go is the key! Plus every Rez fill if you can cleaning with something like physan 20 to guarantee success )

after I started doing those preventative things = way higher success in everything and my Rez life span was 2-4x longer ( anther key is don’t add organics and when you do add it to your small batch 24hr-3/4 day batches and apply it with your bennies or make sure to have em separate )

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Pathogen issue seems easily fixable and preventable ...
(I’m not recommending you to uv hydro system, I’m recommending you to uv cleanse before the Rez ) if you tried to uv hydro while in the System it would absorb your stuff and hurt it as well .. no reason to map it that way

Uv the water before it enters the Rez

Have it connected to your r/o + uv ( or kdf85 + sediment before uv )
I have been doing this for over a year in my flower room and it makes my Rez last way longer , killing the pathogens from the get go is the key! Plus every Rez fill if you can cleaning with something like physan 20 to guarantee success )

after I started doing those preventative things = way higher success in everything and my Rez life span was 2-4x longer ( anther key is don’t add organics and when you do add it to your small batch 24hr-3/4 day batches and apply it with your bennies or make sure to have em separate )

I'm way ahead of you. I installed this UV system with 5 micron and 1 micron pre filters a couple weeks ago. It filters the rainwater going into the res.
20191023 214935

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I'm gonna have to complain about something here.. I've got a gripe!

This megacrop does not dissolve fully. It leaves a brown powdery residue on the bottom of the container and there is tiny white flakes in the dry mix which just dont dissolve at all.
Kind of annoying...

If it's anything like Veg+Bloom they use a carrier clay for something so they can keep it a 1 part.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
With that being said they could be using something synthetic for a carrier or something along those lines. That is getting above my level of understanding of nutes tho.

Strain it in a coffee filter and see if it dissolves in hot ass water.

Edit: saw you did that.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
On a serious note guys. The consensus on riu about mega crop solubility was temperature.

Temp shouldn't completely matter on solubility at the temp range we deal with. It can speed it up and slow it down but not make something completely insoluble. PH can matter but you have to be super low for that to start happening.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

BTW MiMed what's this backstory I'm unaware of re; bankrupted company selling this stuff?

They came out with the old formula. Lots of bad reviews. The goof in charge went out of business. Then a couple years ago he showed back up on riu with a new formulator and product. Hes kind of an ass in his threads. He was insisting his calculator online would give the exact amount needed. Must not know that plants are different.

If it wasnt $6 for just shipping and hydro red had not vouched i would not have ordered it.

And one read of the marketing sheet that came with it and i was done.

Many reports of insoluble sediment and packs gone solid in cold storage.

Many warnings about moisture ruining it as well but that makes sense.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

They came out with the old formula. Lots of bad reviews. The goof in charge went out of business. Then a couple years ago he showed back up on riu with a new formulator and product. Hes kind of an ass in his threads. He was insisting his calculator online would give the exact amount needed. Must not know that plants are different.

If it wasnt $6 for just shipping and hydro red had not vouched i would not have ordered it.

Yeah moisture for any dry ferts is a no no

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

And hey, turns out it's also Vegan lol..View attachment 909907

All these things happened when I tried the first mix, and I almost immediately started having both calcium and magnesium issues in veg and flower, took a long time to rehab plants.

However I've heard nothing but great things about his new blend and I was very surprised to see the sediment although someone mentioned that might be a carrier clay

I didn't find him a bad dude, I told him his product didn't work for me and why and he seemed very professional about it to me, and I like the free sample offer if I didn't already have more nukes than I'll possibly use in the rest of my life I would give his new formula a try for sure

BTW Hydro red recommended the black dog that I'm running, good dude & great recommendation 👍

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter

Interesting. I always avoided RIU and most other boards honestly, but wish I had known about that.

This 1g per L batch actually does have some small white floaties still, just a lot less. But enough to plug a filter after a couple resivoirs worth I think. But I dont know..

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Temp shouldn't completely matter on solubility at the temp range we deal with. It can speed it up and slow it down but not make something completely insoluble. PH can matter but you have to be super low for that to start happening.

I know. The compaints online were about 45-50 degree farenheight garages basically solidifying the mega crop into concrete.

Im guessing they were wet and cold though.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I mean I have never seen this but if your worried about it why not just throw the nutes in a filter sock. It will remove any particles. Use them in reef tanks and such.

@Dirtbag that test you did with 1g/l is it settling also?

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I guess that could be, I've never worked with a dry form of silica before, always use the stuff that pours like muselage. Shouldnt dry silica dissolve eventually though?

it can but it usually isn't compatible with other nutes since it spikes your ph alkaline and can keep other things from dissolving. It's intresting to see it in a 1 part. They usually separate it out to a stand-a-alone (again like V+B foliar). Potassium silicate I mean. Why you have the mixing order of adding it first usually.

Latest posts

Top Bottom