Does it always smell bad?

• Thread starter PhoenixFlower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
freezeland2

freezeland2

Yeah. That sounds like it dried way to quickly. 35 percent humidity is way to low.
The OP stated he just hung them two days ago. They are not dry yet. The OP is smelling a fresh cut plant. What he is smelling or not smelling at this point is normal. He needs to get the drying temp and rh dialed in a bit better before they do in fact dry to quickly. That hay smell you believe to not be normal is chlorophyll breaking down in the early days of drying. If it doesn’t go away it is drying to quickly. It is why the longer and slower the dry the better. You want as much as that chlorophyll to break down over time as possible. It won’t break down further once dry. I have been doing this a lot longer then 4 years.

Enforcer

Enforcer

The OP stated he just hung them two days ago. They are not dry yet. The OP is smelling a fresh cut plant. What he is smelling or not smelling at this point is normal. He needs to get the drying temp and rh dialed in a bit better before they do in fact dry to quickly. That hay smell you believe to not be normal is chlorophyll breaking down in the early days of drying. If it doesn’t go away it is drying to quickly. It is why the longer and slower the dry the better. You want as much as that chlorophyll to break down over time as possible. It won’t break down further once dry. I have been doing this a lot longer then 4 years.
This ☝️☝️☝️ is true.

Cannagar

Cannagar

That’s fair. However my point still stands. 35 is too low. That’s all that I was saying.

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

i guess you didn't hear they invented something called a humidifier lol
What's going to happen if I don't increase the humidity? Because from all the research I've done, having that 50% rh range is ideal for drying purposes, but you guys say my buds are going to dry too fast. What's the difference if I dry them in 3-5 days compared to a week or longer? I'm just trying to get them dry enough to the point where I can stick them into a jar without them getting mouldy in the jar, right?

Cannagar

Cannagar

What's going to happen if I don't increase the humidity? Because from all the research I've done, having that 50% rh range is ideal for drying purposes, but you guys say my buds are going to dry too fast. What's the difference if I dry them in 3-5 days compared to a week or longer? I'm just trying to get them dry enough to the point where I can stick them into a jar without them getting mouldy in the jar, right?
If you dry them too fast then the plant doesnt have time to breakdown non desirable substances like chlorophyll. You dont want to smoke chlorophlyll. if you do your bud will have a harsher taste/smoke to it.

Reactions: TSD
TSD

TSD

Hard disagree. If it smells like hay. It will continue to.
I think a little hay smell is normal as shit breaks down during drying... I've never had it smell like straight hay, it always stinks up my whole area to the point I fear thieves lol... I'd say if it smells like hay after a few days curing... you probably fucked up drying. I'm always impressed how fast smells develop and improve during cure. Also depends on the terpenes cause they all act differently. I hated the smell of my widow a month ago, but it's finally starting to smell good. Drying and curing are so important... and so easy to fuck up lol. There's more hay smell if you leave all the foliage too obviously, cause all that chlorophyll breaking down gives off that smell... or some scientific shit like that🤣

TSD

TSD

It's just not ideal that's all, slower is better, but you can still get a top notch result with a proper cure. I'd get a humidifier, or you could go old-school and hang for a few days, then put in paper bags for a few days... that can slow the dry process... I find it works well to even out the moisture of different sized buds too. It also seems to jumpstart the cure a bit, in my experience.

Cannagar

Cannagar

I think a little hay smell is normal as shit breaks down during drying... I've never had it smell like straight hay, it always stinks up my whole area to the point I fear thieves lol... I'd say if it smells like hay after a few days curing... you probably fucked up drying. I'm always impressed how fast smells develop and improve during cure. Also depends on the terpenes cause they all act differently. I hated the smell of my widow a month ago, but it's finally starting to smell good. Drying and curing are so important... and so easy to fuck up lol. There's more hay smell if you leave all the foliage too obviously, cause all that chlorophyll breaking down gives off that smell... or some scientific shit like that🤣
True. True. I supposed I assumed OP meant a strong hay smell.

E

Edinburg

Could be bud rot, if your smelling a hay grass smell that is the clorafill and is normal, anything else and u have a problem of some sort.

O

OntarioGoldenHash

Its taken well over a month for my cured bud to start to smell nice again. I made some edible's last night which blow my socks right off.

Reactions: TSD
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Im hydro only but I do know that my weed didnt smell before I used a bloom booster. Now, it smells stronger the entire grow. Idk if theres a correlation but I sure made one.

I want to try a grow without it, but why stop a good thing?

O

omega_mu

There's no way that I can increase the humidity lol. I live in a place where it looks like the North Pole outside of my window right now, I'm pretty sure I seen some elves walking by my place just a few minutes ago..
As admin stated. You should get a humidifier, not just for drying but for your grow. You need to invest in being able to control temp and humidity unfortunately, otherwise no bueno during grow ,drying, and curing. If youve taking time to grow good bud dont watch it degrade because of bad dry/cure, everyone trying to save you the pain. I'm in south so it's a/c and dehumidifier must haves. Sounds like for you heater and humidifier at the very least.

T

Titleist

As you control your grow space, control your dry space as well. You're smelling everything the plant is doing right now. The plant doesn't immediately die when you cut it. There are still things going on with the plant and will continue to do so while curing as well. If you believe you should smell the exact same smells you get in a live in progress tent you'll be disappointed. Part of the long slow temp dry process is to allow the plant to continue utilizing sugars still contained in the plant so that when you arrive at a stable 62-62 or whatever your target is, you're ready for the long sleep cure to finish. Several things happen when you dry too quickly, but most notable is that the outer area of your stash is too dry while it's possible the stems and inner buds contain too much water still as you haven't given them enough time to draw it out to the outer surfaces. So now you jar it, put a hygrometer in the jar and notice it's sitting in the 50's but after a few hours it's gone up above 62. Bud dried too quickly tends to give you a lot of ups and downs when curing rather than the stability a low slow dry process provides. That's of course unless you've gone too far and it's completely dried out.

If you're concerned get a small hygrometer, put it in a half gallon mason jar on top of your product and see where it sits after a minute or so. Keep an eye on it and see if it continues to rise quickly and if it goes over 62 or so open up the jar and let it vent. Keep doing that until the jar RH doesn't go above 62 or so in the final area and temp where you're going to cure. If it doesn't ever get to that 62 RH you can throw in some boveda or whatever floats your boat for a humidity device.

TSD

TSD

I wait a few hours at least before looking at a hydrometer for a reading, gotta give it time to adjust.

2Bad

2Bad

For my first grow I dried in ur same conditions it dried faster sure. Weed was just as good tho. To each his own.

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

I think a little hay smell is normal as shit breaks down during drying... I've never had it smell like straight hay, it always stinks up my whole area to the point I fear thieves lol... 🤣
This is my concern. I think I may have grown it poorly, because it doesn't give off that dank smell you might be referencing here. I only used cheap soil with granular nutrients, all from Walmart lol. When I squeeze the bud and go to smell my finger it smells dank. But when I walk into my closet I get that whiff of fresh cut hay.

Let me guess, you grow with either compost or worm castings?

Top Bottom