Does it always smell bad?

• Thread starter PhoenixFlower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cannagar

Cannagar

This is my concern. I think I may have grown it poorly, because it doesn't give off that dank smell you might be referencing here. I only used cheap soil with granular nutrients, all from Walmart lol. When I squeeze the bud and go to smell my finger it smells dank. But when I walk into my closet I get that whiff of fresh cut hay.

Let me guess, you grow with either compost or worm casting
It sounds like you might have harvest too early. Do you have a picture of your plant before harvest?

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

It sounds like you might have harvest too early. Do you have a picture of your plant before harvest?

This was right at the 8 week mark of flower

2Bad

2Bad

This is my concern. I think I may have grown it poorly, because it doesn't give off that dank smell you might be referencing here. I only used cheap soil with granular nutrients, all from Walmart lol. When I squeeze the bud and go to smell my finger it smells dank. But when I walk into my closet I get that whiff of fresh cut hay.

Let me guess, you grow with either compost or worm castings?
Either weak lights or weak genetics.

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

Either weak lights or weak genetics.
Genetics aren't weak, trust me on this. I specifically chose this strain due to its high THC content. Someone on a review said they had it tested and it measured levels as high as 27% THC. The growlight used was a Mars Hydro TSL2000, a 300 watt device. So it's not the strongest but it's certainly not a 'weak' light either.

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

Did you check to trichomes before harvest? during my last grow I had to wait 11 weeks before they were ready. Even though to the naked eye it looked done at eight or nine weeks
I did not. One plant started to turn red. Literally. The buds literally turned blood red lmao. I took the red color as all the trichomes having turned amber, because I the other two plants didn't turn that way at all.

Cannagar

Cannagar

I did not. One plant started to turn red. Literally. The buds literally turned blood red lmao. I took the red color as all the trichomes having turned amber, because I the other two plants didn't turn that way at all.
Genetics and temp can cause colorations like red and purple in some strains. So that doesn’t necessarily indicate it was ready.

But it could have been 🤷‍♂️. Really no way to know now.

Cannagar

Cannagar

In any case it is some very pretty bud. Love the coloration.

T

Titleist

Genetics aren't weak, trust me on this. I specifically chose this strain due to its high THC content. Someone on a review said they had it tested and it measured levels as high as 27% THC. The growlight used was a Mars Hydro TSL2000, a 300 watt device. So it's not the strongest but it's certainly not a 'weak' light either.

There's a lot of factors you're leaving out though. Every facet of the plant's characteristics are predetermined by it's genetics, not just THC content. There are several cultivars that don't give off strong aromatic terpenes because it's not in their genetics to do so. As an example, you can find many "high THC" strains available from spanish and european sources that would be considered "weak" genetics by today's standards. There's one very notable online vendor that basically only sells these euro or spanish strains. I grew a fair amount of those genetics and while the plants grew correctly an were given as close to a perfect environment as I can provide, every one that I can remember was unremarkable in every way. Maybe by "weak genetics" it was meant that whomever bred that strain did so only for a high THC content and either chose not to continue advancing the line for better terpene production or was unable to achieve it before deciding to just make seeds if seeds are what you're using. Advanced breeders that take their time with a strain are usually trying to perfect as many characteristics as they can before releasing the strain.

As for the light, 300 watts from the wall isn't weak, but it's not maxing out the PAR either. I've never measured that light but it's possible you're not maxing out the DLI from it either. Also, while the light may grow for you, it may not have the extra power that can lightly stress a plant to produce more THC or terpenes in response to the stress.

From the single pic you posted it's tough to say whether it was done or not. Just my opinion on that pic though is that from how I grow that bud looks about half done or it began to foxtail on you because it looks about half and half mature pistils. We'd need a close up pic of the trichs to make a better guess.

It's a pretty bud though. Enjoy it and fire up the tent for the next run!

TSD

TSD

Let me guess, you grow with either compost or worm castings?a
It could just be the terpene profile, it could be a little premature, but it's early yet. I do amend with both compost and worm castings... dry organic nutes that get mixed, mycos, a bit of molasses to feed the mycos once or twice, but I'm outdoor, outdoor terps are *usually* stronger, plus I specifically pick strains with strong smells and flavors because that's what I like. If you're getting a good smell when you squeeze, don't panic. Wait till cure to judge... like I said I had one plant that's taken a month to smell decent, and another that has a hint of hay... but I know she was premature so it is what it is... My super Lemon Haze could have gone another 3 weeks or more probably, but she is so packed with such an impressive terpene profile due to her genetics, she still tastes and smells delicious... man I would have liked to get her fully mature... would have been dank. Such is life. So many factors decide the final product, but genetics is a big one.

TSD

TSD

Yeah high thc content doesn’t mean it’s gonna smell good. And terpenes are a major component to an overall great high
For sure, I was going to come back and say that ... it could taste like brick weed that got left in the sun for a month and still get you wrecked, conversely, it could smell and taste amazing and have almost no psychoactive effects like some CBD strains. Crazy plant that Mary Jane lol. Personally, and only judging by the plants and strains I've grown in the last 5 years since I started growing again (we won't count my younger days, since so much has happened to genetics in 20 years) my experience has been the extreme THC level plants don't necessarily have the best flavors. Every run I have done, I've favored the flavors of the lower level ones... like the 16-20% range. Not to say uber high THC strains don't taste good obviously, but I think sometimes terpenes are lost in the breeding to reach those crazy levels... just my stoned theory and anecdotal evidence, I don't breed.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
No it's not. Make nutrition 80% of your focus and the dry cure doesn't matter enough to drop you out of the top 1% of growers.
Ok, if you say so!
You obviously were not following what I said about finishing the drying process!
Not the feeding process!

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Then stick your harvest in a closet at 78F
80% humidity,
What will your results be when dry?

TSD

TSD

No it's not. Make nutrition 80% of your focus and the dry cure doesn't matter enough to drop you out of the top 1% of growers.
Yeah no. You can definitely screw up a good harvest by drying/curing wrong. I have a friend that grew good buds this year but wouldn't take my advice on drying and curing... he put it in a room with a pellet stove, in the sun, quick dried, didn't even really try to cure, no burping or anything... and wonders why his beautiful buds taste like shit. Drying and curing
are very important.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Yeah no. You can definitely screw up a good harvest by drying/curing wrong. I have a friend that grew good buds this year but wouldn't take my advice on drying and curing... he put it in a room with a pellet stove, in the sun, quick dried, didn't even really try to cure, no burping or anything... and wonders why his beautiful buds taste like shit. Drying and curing
are very important.

I mean....isn't that exactly what dispensary weed is? Great genetics grown amazingly well, dried and cured horribly. Not sure what this guy is on 😂

G

Greenny

I got my buds hanging in the closet, and they smell absolutely BLAND, they don't smell like marijuana whatsoever. Is this normal? Or have I grown bad bud
Once I saw the strains that is described to be smelled as vomit, not sure if it real, but possible you hold some kind of its variety

Johnlandy420

Johnlandy420

Supporter
No shade but I literally feel like it’s the complete opposite. I feel like nutes are 10%. Less is usually more.

Top Bottom