Doing everything right but my weed still doesnt taste as good as i want. Please help lol

• Thread starter Errly
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TSD

TSD

They have 2 oz gift bags. I didn't look far enough is all. QP is fine for me but I usually don't give my son in law a qp of 1 strain. He usually leaves with 3 - 4 strains at 2 oz each.
I did the build a bundle thing and got a bunch of different sizes and styles to try. I liked the "soft touch" kind better, it seems like a thicker material.

Whiskydrunk420

Whiskydrunk420

Hey again people.

Ok so I'm in no way an experienced grower, this is my 5th time growing but I've invested a lot into my room to a imo a high standard room here in the UK where it's still very illegal sadly.

Anyway I'm rambling on but this room I've gone to lengths to make it as good as I can afford. I'm doing everything I know to be right and yet I'm still not satisfied with my flowers taste and burn. Dont get me wrong it looks amazing but I'm not getting the pungent nose from it, I have to break it smell anything but when I break it, it smells nice.

I've got metal ducting for air flow which is connected to an opticlimate machine ( I'm not saying this makes a grower) but just letting you know I had the temps pretty much perfect through out veg, flower and even drying thanks to the opticlimate. I've attached photos and videos.

But why wont it taste amazing, why isnt it stinking the bag? I've used good neuts, flush for 7 days which on a dripper system in coco. Hung upside down whole plant in 16⁰c between 50-62% RM and now been curing for 4 days but still nothing. I'm sure it should smell lovely at end of the 14 day hanging?

My thoughts on what it could be......

1: First time using dripper system for flushing. Last batch same thing, white as but not very smelly or tasty.

2: had drip trays on top of the pots, medium connected with drippers, tray would get dirty sometime, possible that?

3: Had opticlimate set at 16⁰c day and night but night time it switches to warm air instead of cold air but still keeps the temps at between 14_17⁰c? This was drying temperature by the way.

4: Had a small fan on the floor blowing straight forward across the floor but not direct at and buds.

This is all I can think of that may have affected my final product, or do I just need to cure longer? Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Peace out my fellow farmers 💚
Nice room bro , wish I had that room right now

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

I'd like to see some pictures of what you've done. It sounds ideal in a lot of ways ...
The unit isn't plugged in these pictures so the LCD is not light up. But it works great in testing. In theory this should work. I haven't actually ran any product yet through it Im in week 4 of flower right now. Cant wait to try it. I almost want the dry winds to come. Come on bring it bitch! Blow hot and dry! lol

Its got a key too so I can lock it to keep my 3 year old son out. I got it set up on our covered patio...

IMG 6116

IMG 6115

IMG 6117

IMG 6119

Got a little tiny computer fan with a dial speed controller to circulate the air...

IMG 6120

At first I had only 1 dehumidifier in there. But it wasn't strong enough to combat the fridge compressor. So I ordered another mini dehumidifier and squeezed it in there. I barely had enough room to fit the 3 units in but by removing the bottom rack gave me just enough space to fit everything including the mini fan...

IMG 6121

This is the inkbird RH controller I have extension chords and power splitters coming off it to power all the devices...

IMG 6118

Happysmoke

Happysmoke

I think the best drying environment is 60F 60%RH the whole time. A small fan blowing air toward a wall to circulate air gently. For me anyway. If you can manage anything over 10 days dry time, the buds usually smell as much as they should for the given strain. Any temp over 70F and dry time drops and so does the scent. Taste gets harsher as well. If the tent needs a humidifier too much during drying, I feel like the fresh water removes some smell. I also have an automatic dryer that somehow leaves plenty of scent but the taste is not great and it's super hard not to overdo. I also dry in a paper bag sometimes and as long as it's cool and takes about 7-10 days the smell and taste are good. I have been researching freeze drying lately, it sounds interesting and I may try that soon. I think if the great smell is there before you dry, it should be there after as well. Letting go too long in flower can also cause the scent to drop. When the trichs have too much amber, they are getting over ripe and loosing terpenes as well as potency.

As a note though, I have always heard and read night temps should be at least a couple degrees lower than daytime temps. I'm not saying that is causing your issue, just saying.

Johnlandy420

Johnlandy420

Supporter
I had the same problem when I was using nutrient salts. When I switched to growing organic, taste improved dramatically ... but I was also more experienced and I'm sure that played in it too. I would suggest investing in a USB digital microscope ... the kind that takes pictures with your smart phone. That way you can accurately see what the trichomes actually look like. It's tough to tell otherwise. The other part is the cure process.
Not the most experienced either but I have heard this many many times. I’m too stubborn to go organic though.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
I'd get a second opinion on smell. I find from sticking my beak in my bags/jars and being in the grow room all the time, I can be a bit desensitized to the smell. Whenever i open up a bag, people can smell it across the room where it's not as obvious to me. Same thing if i have it in my car, the smell is overwhelming. It's very strain dependent as well.

TSD

TSD

The unit isn't plugged in these pictures so the LCD is not light up. But it works great in testing. In theory this should work. I haven't actually ran any product yet through it Im in week 4 of flower right now. Cant wait to try it. I almost want the dry winds to come. Come on bring it bitch! Blow hot and dry! lol

Its got a key too so I can lock it to keep my 3 year old son out. I got it set up on our covered patio...

View attachment 1240106

View attachment 1240120

View attachment 1240121

View attachment 1240122

Got a little tiny computer fan with a dial speed controller to circulate the air...

View attachment 1240123

At first I had only 1 dehumidifier in there. But it wasn't strong enough to combat the fridge compressor. So I ordered another mini dehumidifier and squeezed it in there. I barely had enough room to fit the 3 units in but by removing the bottom rack gave me just enough space to fit everything including the mini fan...

View attachment 1240124

This is the inkbird RH controller I have extension chords and power splitters coming off it to power all the devices...

View attachment 1240125
Sweet innovation, but I'd need approximately 20 of them 🤣

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

I know, most folks here are indoor growers, don't have to deal with the nonsense of a once yearly harvest that takes a month. I'm just an outdoor lover, so I like to make my life difficult. 🤣
I have done a lot of big outdoor harvests too its a pain in the ass. I feel your pain. This outdoor harvest below was 2017 it took me and my wife a month to trim the outdoor trees. I think she still has PTSD from it. Never again will she allow 10 footers LOL 😂

IMG 1400

Habosabin

Habosabin

I would. Grab a couple grove bags to try, you won't be disappointed, no bovedas required, no burping required... I still flip my buds periodically and I keep all the bags inside a cooler cause my house is very dry in winter and I'm nervous they will dry more since it's a breathable plastic... but haven't had it happen yet... some new age weed magic man.
Grove bags are cheaper than jars and don't require burping. Pinch me to make sure I'm awake.

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

You've dried it, probably decently well, but....

You haven't CURED it, which takes time. Minimum 3 weeks in the jar after drying.

Here's how I know, besides what I've read. My last crop cured too fast (as usual, here in Phoenix it is too dry to slowly dry my weed in the closet), and then it went into the jars for curing. When you dry too quickly, you get a hay smell that tries to 'lock in' to some extent. When you dry slower, that hay smell is reduced, but not eliminated. What you are tasting is chlorophyll, and the curing process is designed to slowly convert that to something that doesn't smell and taste like hay. So each day, multiple times per day for the first week or so, I burped my 1-quart mason jars, and when I did that I stuck my nose into the jar and sniffed a few times. Doing this it was easy to smell a progressive reduction in the hay smell. And right around the 3-week point, I noticed that the hay smell was almost gone, and the rest of the terpene smells were finally dominating.

Since then, the (remaining) buds I have in jars have been there 6 months. They taste as good as they are going to at this point, but they don't taste like hay anymore.

Errly

Errly

You've dried it, probably decently well, but....

You haven't CURED it, which takes time. Minimum 3 weeks in the jar after drying.

Here's how I know, besides what I've read. My last crop cured too fast (as usual, here in Phoenix it is too dry to slowly dry my weed in the closet), and then it went into the jars for curing. When you dry too quickly, you get a hay smell that tries to 'lock in' to some extent. When you dry slower, that hay smell is reduced, but not eliminated. What you are tasting is chlorophyll, and the curing process is designed to slowly convert that to something that doesn't smell and taste like hay. So each day, multiple times per day for the first week or so, I burped my 1-quart mason jars, and when I did that I stuck my nose into the jar and sniffed a few times. Doing this it was easy to smell a progressive reduction in the hay smell. And right around the 3-week point, I noticed that the hay smell was almost gone, and the rest of the terpene smells were finally dominating.

Since then, the (remaining) buds I have in jars have been there 6 months. They taste as good as they are going to at this point, but they don't taste like hay anymore.
Hey man, thank you for that and I was told it was chlorophyll but I was thinking is this a standard procedure to cure or do you get flower that's good to go day after a full dry cycle? Or is curing absolutely necessary?

Madmax

Madmax

Some strains just dont smell.id follow what Anthem has mentioned and you will get there.organic or synthetic nutes it dosnt matter.ive done both with same result..

Cheers.

TSD

TSD

Hey man, thank you for that and I was told it was chlorophyll but I was thinking is this a standard procedure to cure or do you get flower that's good to go day after a full dry cycle? Or is curing absolutely necessary?
Curing is absolutely necessary if you want your bud to be the best it can be. So many people neglect this step, and it's really a big part of how the final result smells and tastes.

Top Bottom