Dose anyone grow fruit n veg in your back yards .

• Thread starter One drop
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

There my engine room for the garden . 🐓
of course you'll have to keep things out of their way like broccoli cauliflower collard greens spinach... But once your garden plants get bigger I let them into the garden and they eat the bugs... Especially the ones in my pumpkin patch.. you just can't trust them around certain plants... Broccoli and cauliflower being their favorites... But yeah they're like my little yard police...when I find an area of my property that has say an infestation of grasshoppers... I lead the flock to that area and they take over from there they're awesome...not to mention they lay more eggs than I can eat so I compost a lot of eggs each year ..good for the soil

stoneyluv

stoneyluv

wow Dr.B that might be the most clean and organized gardens i've ever seen!!!!!!! great work!!!!!!!!

the other day i put my chickens in the polytunnel hoping they would pluck weeds out for me..... yeah right!! i put them in the growbeds and they just hopped right out and pecked at the weeds i already picked out and threw on the floor!!!!! just made me laugh!!!!

Dr.B

Dr.B

wow Dr.B that might be the most clean and organized gardens i've ever seen!!!!!!! great work!!!!!!!!

the other day i put my chickens in the polytunnel hoping they would pluck weeds out for me..... yeah right!! i put them in the growbeds and they just hopped right out and pecked at the weeds i already picked out and threw on the floor!!!!! just made me laugh!!!!
Thank-you stoneyluv. Its my first organised attempt at actual gardening!
...I was reading about diesels chickens yesterday thinking how great! A roaming death squad for pests and such... Now, not so sure. 🤣🤣🤣 I guess I do peck more effectively than a chicken in a garden. 🤣🤣🤣

stoneyluv

stoneyluv

Thank-you stoneyluv. Its my first organised attempt at actual gardening!
...I was reading about diesels chickens yesterday thinking how great! A roaming death squad for pests and such... Now, not so sure. 🤣🤣🤣 I guess I do peck more effectively than a chicken in a garden. 🤣🤣🤣

first time garden... you really went head on with it... awesome work!!!!!

supports, trellis, cages, borders.... you got it all down!! doing all the hard work now really pays off later... instead of scrambling and figuring it out on the fly you will just be able pull up chair, fire up a fatty, and just enjoy all the growth!!!!

and i think my problems with the chickens is i spoil them way too much!!! they're just not interested in garden weeds with all good clover and worms in the yard!!!! today i saw my older hen eat an entire tree frog!!! i thought she was gonna choke on it... looked like a snake wolfing the thing down!!! hahahaha thats redneck entertainment at it's best right there!!! i sat there on my atv sippin coffee watching the whole thing... wish i would have had my camera on me!!!

but keep up the great work man and i hope you keep posting pics of it!!!!

BTW... i love those light diffusers or whatever you have as domes... i bet they really hold the moisture on warm dry days!!!

stoneyluv

stoneyluv

My mob would rape my vegies as quick as look at them hence the fence ..... Looking great Dr b loving the upcycled shades very cool .

i only put three of the new young pullets in there... i think they're like 20 weeks old... they're into checking things out more than eating at this time.. i could never put my hen in there, she would just destroy my beds digging for worms and probably dig up plants doing so...

it was a thought but i'll probably not do it again. last year i had a rabbit living in the poly tunnel... i chased that thing around for like two hours before i said fuck it, you can stay!!! i had my best yields of all time last year so i didn't mind it eating some if it.. they're was enough to go around for everybody!!!! haha

love this thread by the way, thanks for starting it and sharing!!!!!!

Dr.B

Dr.B

first time garden... you really went head on with it... awesome work!!!!!

supports, trellis, cages, borders.... you got it all down!! doing all the hard work now really pays off later... instead of scrambling and figuring it out on the fly you will just be able pull up chair, fire up a fatty, and just enjoy all the growth!!!!

and i think my problems with the chickens is i spoil them way too much!!! they're just not interested in garden weeds with all good clover and worms in the yard!!!! today i saw my older hen eat an entire tree frog!!! i thought she was gonna choke on it... looked like a snake wolfing the thing down!!! hahahaha thats redneck entertainment at it's best right there!!! i sat there on my atv sippin coffee watching the whole thing... wish i would have had my camera on me!!!

but keep up the great work man and i hope you keep posting pics of it!!!!

BTW... i love those light diffusers or whatever you have as domes... i bet they really hold the moisture on warm dry days!!!

Thank you again! That's just how I roll I guess, always been more of an ant than a grasshopper... 🤣

Now I want a few chickens for the funny stories alone. Red neck entertainment is one of my favorite forms of entertainment... Chickens present me with some municipality issues though unfortunately.

I'll keep this thread updated periodically, not overly though... I was really excited about the broccolli or I would have waited until the sun came out again before posting at the least...

*They are glass shades for old high bay warehouse fixtures. Keep moisture in and rain out. No butterfly egg bombers have found their way in yet either haha.

Slap

Slap

Then you should get a Rooster funniest s*!? I ever seen, was a big grown ass man be afraid of a rooster. My grandma had them, When roaming free, I used to taunt them and get chased. Roosters are mean. My friend wanted to see me make the rooster go crazy. He had never been that close to one. City boy! When I did, I jumped in back of truck.He ran and tripped, flying like Superman in the air.lmao (Bhaaaack For Super Chicken!) Rooster saw him falling on ground and exploded towrds him. wings out. Won that fight! Everyday after that, when the bad ass rooster caught wind of him, he would fluff up and punk him. That's was some funny sh*!. Watching a grown ass man get punked by a rooster. Wish I had video. I sang the intro for Super Chicken , Everytime I saw him, for those old enough to know Super Chicken! The cartoon.

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

Then you should get a Rooster funniest s*!? I ever seen, was a big grown ass man be afraid of a rooster. My grandma had them, When roaming free, I used to taunt them and get chased. Roosters are mean. My friend wanted to see me make the rooster go crazy. He had never been that close to one. City boy! When I did, I jumped in back of truck.He ran and tripped, flying like Superman in the air.lmao (Bhaaaack For Super Chicken!) Rooster saw him falling on ground and exploded towrds him. wings out. Won that fight! Everyday after that, when the bad ass rooster caught wind of him, he would fluff up and punk him. That's was some funny sh*!. Watching a grown ass man get punked by a rooster. Wish I had video. I sang the intro for Super Chicken , Everytime I saw him, for those old enough to know Super Chicken! The cartoon.
Hey man I'm a grown ass man and I respect my rooster... Always keep something laying around that you can threaten him with... Stick, hose, squirt gun anything to keep them off guard even bending over like you're going to pick something up makes him think twice about his attacks... I guess the only reason I have him is I live in a wild place with lots of animals and he is very protective of his flock

Mikelej14

Mikelej14

I used to have some chickens, around 18 or so with a few roosters... Never knew really since neighbors had a bunch too they liked to roam free between eachother we mutually agreed its easier than fighting and sorting them whoever's coop then came home to at night was fine lol. Raccoon in the area was always the biggest threat to them. The roosters and our dogs did fairly good job keeping them out but not 100%... Have lost a couple before when one broke thru a rotted section of the wood on back side. Basically tunneled in that little shit... That was a long night..

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

I used to have some chickens, around 18 or so with a few roosters... Never knew really since neighbors had a bunch too they liked to roam free between eachother we mutually agreed its easier than fighting and sorting them whoever's coop then came home to at night was fine lol. Raccoon in the area was always the biggest threat to them. The roosters and our dogs did fairly good job keeping them out but not 100%... Have lost a couple before when one broke thru a rotted section of the wood on back side. Basically tunneled in that little shit... That was a long night..
I'm new to chickens... Well these guys are about a year and 2 months old now, I raised them since they were two days old I had seven but I'm down to six... Two of my initial seven ended up being roosters by surprise and they were raised together and got along fine until one day my pretty black Cochin rooster was dead in the coop smothered by the great big Rooster in the picture here... Lesson learned...this guy is twice the size of my biggest egg layer and them coachens can get pretty good size...
IMG 20200608 132457193

Ina

Ina

I'm new to chickens... Well these guys are about a year and 2 months old now, I raised them since they were two days old I had seven but I'm down to six... Two of my initial seven ended up being roosters by surprise and they were raised together and got along fine until one day my pretty black Cochin rooster was dead in the coop smothered by the great big Rooster in the picture here... Lesson learned...this guy is twice the size of my biggest egg layer and them coachens can get pretty good size...View attachment 983545
Two roosters cant share the harem:)

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter

Thats how it was back in 2018, the shit was like 8-10 feet tall amazng growth, I had a huge pit filled in with Peat moss, Worm castings, a 5kgbrick of coir, worm casting tea, and .. my own urine :P

I was seeing some sweet sweet corn when not only did the birds come to check it out pecking holes in my shit, the local black bear decided he was hungry and ravaged the shit out of all my corn :(

I pulled mabye 2-6 ears that year outta 30+ Stupid bears.

This year i gotta get a small fence for sure theres lil critters round here.

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

Got bored today before the sun finally came out... Got into the old Halloween costumes... A little more stuffing and my handful of corn plants will be safe! 🤣🤣🤣
I did the same thing a few years ago it works for a while but the animals get used to it the only thing that truly helps is a fence, but it sure gave a lot of smiles to the farmers around here .probably seen a dozen car stop and take photos that first year... It was holding a large super soaker squirt gun... But some teenager passing by in a white car stole it
FB IMG 1591756599975
FB IMG 1591756554681

Top Bottom