DWC Plants Dying Please Help

• Thread starter TheOhmOne
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
chemistry

chemistry

Im gonna walk right past that easy setup and ask if you mean two inches between the water and the rockwool or two inches between the water and the net pot? I agree if you mean two inches between water and net pot, I like about another inch of hydroton between the bottom of the netpot and the rockwool (with even more on the sides).

Yes, two inches below the pot.

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
It’s 3 planes in 40 gallons of water ?

Too much. 1 plant in that rig is enough if you are growing right. You do realize that most sativa and hybrid strain plants can have a 3ft spread right? Most of these ladies are not little if done right.

You need GH Grow for this stage of life dude.

And ph up and down? Baking soda brings it up. Lemon juice brings it down. I ph AFTER the nutes are measured and WELL mixed in the water. I’m in dirt. But nutes get mixed the same way.

I don’t get it. Why didn’t you just say this is your very first hydro grow, you’ve read too much shit online, and you need to separate fact from fiction? Everyone here is assuming you actually have first hand knowledge but after re reading this entire thread and checking out your equipment, I tend to believe otherwise. You are asking about things that even someone who has one grow under their belts already has experienced and knows...

Eg. Grow nutes are stage 1. GH is a 3 part system. Stable PH within range is required for a healthy plant. How to mix nutes and how to adjust ph properly. Proper pot types and water spacing. And the fact that no one would waste the money on coolers when a res is much cheaper.

Just come clean and actually listen to the growers who are trying to help. You might actually get some bud in a few months.

chemistry

chemistry

Ph adjusting them or adding cal mag will fuck them up. I vowed to never enter another AN ph perfect thread probably a couple yrs ago now? @Beachwalker

Just throw the ph pen in the closet and don't add anything to them and you should be fine. Also get your sterile or live system in order and it shouldn't be an issue.

I also agree with @MHippie space may be an issue.

Done it my self. I love Canna. 😁

TheOhmOne

TheOhmOne

Too much. 1 plant in that rig is enough if you are growing right. You do realize that most sativa and hybrid strain plants can have a 3ft spread right? Most of these ladies are not little if done right.

You need GH Grow for this stage of life dude.

And ph up and down? Baking soda brings it up. Lemon juice brings it down. I ph AFTER the nutes are measured and WELL mixed in the water. I’m in dirt. But nutes get mixed the same way.

I don’t get it. Why didn’t you just say this is your very first hydro grow, you’ve read too much shit online, and you need to separate fact from fiction? Everyone here is assuming you actually have first hand knowledge but after re reading this entire thread and checking out your equipment, I tend to believe otherwise. You are asking about things that even someone who has one grow under their belts already has experienced and knows...

Eg. Grow nutes are stage 1. GH is a 3 part system. Stable PH within range is required for a healthy plant. How to mix nutes and how to adjust ph properly. Proper pot types and water spacing. And the fact that no one would waste the money on coolers when a res is much cheaper.

Just come clean and actually listen to the growers who are trying to help. You might actually get some bud in a few months.

Sorry your wrong.
You do not need to use all 3 parts to use GH. Lucus....

This isn’t my 1st grow. What makes you think so? Which piece of equipment?
Which nutrient?
I don’t see what looks amateur at all

The fact that I’m using multiple girls on oneRes?
YOU DO KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE GROW OUT OF 5 gallon buckets ? Those 5 gallon buckets don’t even hold but 2-3gallons of water.

I don’t see how this is much different,

The plants will be trained under the Scrog.NEARLY ALLGROWTH UNDER NET WILL BE TRIMMED ANYWAY.

If I grew one plant of 5 plants it doesn’t matter. The Scrog net and canopy will be just as Full. It will just takelonger.

I’m sorry but I don’t seem for agree at all with anything you’ve said.

So what’s your advice exactly ? That so much greater than what I’m doing already?
Run one plant in a 40gallon res? Don’t use one of the most well regarding growing formulas in the Market?

I’m not the only one whose grown out of a cooler Of a large tote for that matter either.

not sure whatyour problem is, but thanx for the help. Goodluck on your future harvests.

TheOhmOne

TheOhmOne

I know how to adjust my ph... give me a break dude.

people take the time to respond. And I take the time to respond to what they wrote. If I felt someone was trying to tech how properly us PH adjusters, I’m not going totech them right back. I’ll embrace what they taught me,ask a few more questions pertaining, and compare to my previous knowledge.

Have you ever used a cooler as a Res? As much as you hate to believe it, I’ve done this before. The ice chests help significantly maintaining temperatures. Do I need to break down the differences between ice chests and a plain poly Res? I should stop bringing ice chests out camping as well, Poly Res is cheaper.

Google Lucus Formula while your on your high horse. Or do you already know everything there is to know?

Here maybe you’ll be able to teach me about light periods. Since I’ve never grown.
can you explain the differences between 24/0 and say 18/6? What different outcomes will we actually see, and what will we actually be doing to the plants?
Thanx for your wealth of knowledge, I know without all your input. I never would figure out this plant thing...........

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Sorry your wrong.
You do not need to use all 3 parts to use GH. Lucus....

This isn’t my 1st grow. What makes you think so? Which piece of equipment?
Which nutrient?
I don’t see what looks amateur at all

The fact that I’m using multiple girls on oneRes?
YOU DO KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE GROW OUT OF 5 gallon buckets ? Those 5 gallon buckets don’t even hold but 2-3gallons of water.

I don’t see how this is much different,

The plants will be trained under the Scrog.NEARLY ALLGROWTH UNDER NET WILL BE TRIMMED ANYWAY.

If I grew one plant of 5 plants it doesn’t matter. The Scrog net and canopy will be just as Full. It will just takelonger.

I’m sorry but I don’t seem for agree at all with anything you’ve said.

So what’s your advice exactly ? That so much greater than what I’m doing already?
Run one plant in a 40gallon res? Don’t use one of the most well regarding growing formulas in the Market?

I’m not the only one whose grown out of a cooler Of a large tote for that matter either.

not sure whatyour problem is, but thanx for the help. Goodluck on your future harvests.
My only concern would be the root tangle. Again its doable and many ppl do it very successfully. If you need to pull a plant due to PM or something then your likely to damage roots that could lead to an infection. Again not a huge risk and I agree its an absolutely viable way to grow.

I would say its better than single 5 gals but not as good as a RDWC.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Here maybe you’ll be able to teach me about light periods. Since I’ve never grown.
can you explain the differences between 24/0 and say 18/6? What different outcomes will we actually see, and what will we actually be doing to the plants?
The difference is DLI. light cycles should be determined based on light intensity mostly

But also there needs to be consideration given to the different processes that happen during photosynthesis and the Calvin cycle. During the Calvin cycle exces startches and others are brought to and exuded through the roots. This feeds beneficial microbes and attracts them to the roots providing important benefits such as defenses and increased nutrient availability and keeping healthy roots by breaking down the organic matter like root shedding or decay.

Now alot of these processes still happen to an extent during photosynthesis but not nearly as efficiently. I would say that a dark period is beneficial to overall plant health but not because as ppl often say "they need rest"

That about as basic as it gets and could go on for pages but yeah let's not.

TheOhmOne

TheOhmOne

My only concern would be the root tangle. Again its doable and many ppl do it very successfully. If you need to pull a plany due to PM or something then your likely to damage roots that could lead to an infection. Again not a huge risk and I agree its an absolutely viable way to grow.

I guess I’m accustomed to how everything else has gone.
I always run the same strains together. So they always finish together.
I’ve never had PM or anything, so sure if that occurred. I’d take some damage.

I want to do an RDWC system, but how do I Scrog multiple sites in a 5x5 tent?
Even with an RDWC, I’d still want to be lifting the plants when checking on roots, ext...

I currently use a Ice Chest because :

The larger volume really creates a much larger buffer than a 5gallon bucket. In a 5gallon, near the end of veg or early follower,
watering almost daily.

The PH is much more stable over multiple days as the plants eat and drink

I can maintain Temps under 70F ALWAYS without a water chiller

I like big roots. I get almost as excited for roots as a do buds.

I moved away from GH 2 part formula looking for something I could play with a little more. I thought that was the AN like, but it appears there is no playing with their products or they just stop working lol

TheOhmOne

TheOhmOne

The difference is DLI. light cycles should be determined based on light intensity mostly

But also there needs to be consideration given to the different processes that happen during photosynthesis and the Calvin cycle. During the Calvin cycle exces startches and others are brought to and exuded through the roots. This feeds beneficial microbes and attracts them to the roots providing important benefits such as defenses and increased nutrient availability and keeping healthy roots by breaking down the organic matter like root shedding or decay.

Now alot of these processes still happen to an extent during photosynthesis but not nearly as efficiently. I would say that a dark period is beneficial to overall plant health but not because as ppl often say "they need rest"

That about as basic as it gets and could go on for pages but yeah let's not.

lol indeed this could go on for pages.

I appreciate your responses AquaMan and I don’t doubt your knowledge.

What type light period are you running ? Have you ever experimented Between different periods? Node spacing? Root growth? Ext...

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I guess I’m accustomed to how everything else has gone.
I always run the same strains together. So they always finish together.
I’ve never had PM or anything, so sure if that occurred. I’d take some damage.

I want to do an RDWC system, but how do I Scrog multiple sites in a 5x5 tent?
Even with an RDWC, I’d still want to be lifting the plants when checking on roots, ext...

I currently use a Ice Chest because :

The larger volume really creates a much larger buffer than a 5gallon bucket. In a 5gallon, near the end of veg or early follower,
watering almost daily.

The PH is much more stable over multiple days as the plants eat and drink

I can maintain Temps under 70F ALWAYS without a water chiller

I like big roots. I get almost as excited for roots as a do buds.

I moved away from GH 2 part formula looking for something I could play with a little more. I thought that was the AN like, but it appears there is no playing with their products or they just stop working lol
Once I scrog I never look at the roots again until harvest. Test will tell me everything I need to know. There are a few tricks like testing free ammonia vs nitrate etc. If you have decay it will cause ammonia to be present especially if there is no denitrifying bacteria. But all thats kinda not needed.

I run a live system and enzymes. Top feed a cup of res water a week and you will never see root issues if you keep environment and nutes in order with good aeration.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

lol indeed this could go on for pages.

I appreciate your responses AquaMan and I don’t doubt your knowledge.

What type light period are you running ? Have you ever experimented Between different periods? Node spacing? Root growth? Ext...
Spectrum plays a role in root growth, node spacing etc. A more blue spectrum with create shorter nodes with more leaf to shoot ratio and overall leaf surface area. A more red with increase node length and root and shoot growth. Like everything there is a balance and that balanced is still high debated.

Also temps play a role in node spacing. If you run a negative diff you can shorten node length by a lot.

I run pretty high light and co2 under an 18/6 for veg. Personally i would not grow under 24/0 but thats not to say you can't.

Really DLI is important and there isn't a definitive light saturation point for cannabis as far as i know but yeah its a huge subject in itself.

TheOhmOne

TheOhmOne

Once I scrog I never look at the roots again until harvest. Test will tell me everything I need to know. There are a few tricks like testing free ammonia vs nitrate etc. If you have decay it will cause ammonia to be present especially if there is no denitrifying bacteria. But all thats kinda not needed.

I run a live system and enzymes. Top feed a cup of res water a week and you will never see root issues if you keep environment and nutes in order with good aeration.

I’ve never top fed, and I’ve always used Rockwool. Do I need to do anything differently since I’m using rockwool? I feel like once the roots are well established, it won’t matter if the rockwool is completely saturated or not. But the 1st few weeks it seems critical to not over water the cube?

I was always under the impression not to top feed the rockwool once rooted, it does appear most people are top feeding currently, so just curious what is the proper way exactly with rockwool.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I’ve never top fed, and I’ve always used Rockwool. Do I need to do anything differently since I’m using rockwool? I feel like once the roots are well established, it won’t matter if the rockwool is completely saturated or not. But the 1st few weeks it seems critical to not over water the cube?

I was always under the impression not to top feed the rockwool once rooted, it does appear most people are top feeding currently, so just curious what is the proper way exactly with rockwool.
Your absolutely right IMO

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
I know how to adjust my ph... give me a break dude.

people take the time to respond. And I take the time to respond to what they wrote. If I felt someone was trying to tech how properly us PH adjusters, I’m not going totech them right back. I’ll embrace what they taught me,ask a few more questions pertaining, and compare to my previous knowledge.

Have you ever used a cooler as a Res? As much as you hate to believe it, I’ve done this before. The ice chests help significantly maintaining temperatures. Do I need to break down the differences between ice chests and a plain poly Res? I should stop bringing ice chests out camping as well, Poly Res is cheaper.

Google Lucus Formula while your on your high horse. Or do you already know everything there is to know?

Thanx for your wealth of knowledge, I know without all your input. I never would figure out this plant thing...........

ROFLMAO! My "high horse"? Rookie, I have more under my belt in a month than you have under your belt in a lifetime. My current "inventory"?

21 Strains. 8 Autos, 11 Photos, 2 self developed.

23 Bonsai'd Clone Mommas (would LOOOOOOOOVE to see you attempt that). That's real bonsai... Root Trims, Top Trims, High Stress Training, 3 inch deep pots. So much for the love of roots...

9 Full Size Plants in Flower. When I say "full size" I'm referring to an unadulterated plant with the exception of the bottom third trimmed. Purple Mountain Majesty, Squirt (both strains by HSC), Super 90 (Auto), Monster Kush (Auto), Purple Headband (Auto), Green Headband (Auto).

1 Bonsai In Flower which also follows Espalier methods. White Widow.

17 strains are in my aero cloner.

Current Nutes used depending on the strain and method:

Fox Farms: Classic Trio
Earth Juice - Seablast 4 Part
Diatamaceous Earth (uh.... yes it actually has a nute value) (dual use sup & pest control)
Bat Guano (sup)
Earth Juice - Cal/Mag (sup)

Want to get into a grow off? I'm more than game and will show you how to grow bud in a variety of methods applied to a WIDE variety of strains. But I'm not the one on my high horse. I just call it like I see it. So many people attempt to get into this with a lot of "knowledge" gleaned from the web.

I have a hard time believing ANYONE with ANY hydro experience would grow from a cooler. It makes no sense. Jesus you could take a standard 50 gal hydro res with a lid, drill it and go for DWC with a bubbler/direct feed on a drip manifold set up/flood and drain with a timer, for 1/2 the cost and a hell of a lot less maintenance than a cooler.

Want to see what a real no bullshit grow looks like? Go look at my grow off with BSG. Want to see what someone who has a hydro system looks like? Check out BSG's rig. He's on a bucket system. Those nutes are constantly recirculating from res to bucket and back again. Keeps it fresh for the plant, prevents fungus build up, optimum fresh nutes to the roots... the list is endless with respect to why a bucket system with a central res kicks the living dog shit out of the Coleman Special.

IDK in today's world of political correctness and delicate sensibilities people no longer have the stones to call others out on their bullshit. Unfortunately that's not what I'm about. I planted my first seed in 1991, had a REAL mentor back then, and have grown out I can't even count how much at this point. Show your past grows or something to back up your bullshit. Your equipment is too shiny and new to have ran too many cycles through it for sure. And those pots? Good god man there is this thing called... The Amazon. And they can have the right shit to you in about 3 days.

You do you. I'm going to sit back and watch it burn until you actually get it right. Good luck!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@MHippie knows his stuff. We all have our preference and experience. Many ways to skin a cat.

TheOhmOne

TheOhmOne

Spectrum plays a role in root growth, node spacing etc. A more blue spectrum with create shorter nodes with more leaf to shoot ratio and overall leaf surface area. A more red with increase node length and root and shoot growth. Like everything there is a balance and that balanced is still high debated.

Also temps play a role in node spacing. If you run a negative diff you can shorten node length by a lot.

I run pretty high light and co2 under an 18/6 for veg. Personally i would not grow under 24/0 but thats not to say you can't.

Really DLI is important and there isn't a definitive light saturation point for cannabis as far as i know but yeah its a huge subject in itself.
A

At what light density/intensity do you start incorporating C02 ?
Have you personally found any correlation between specific intensities and ppm of c02?

What’s interesting is how much light cannabis actually will use. More and more research comes out putting so many old tales to rest. How many micromoles is optimal with and without co2? What impact is this having and what spectral range is creating the biggest impact ?

Do you change or add spectrums to your current setup? This is my FIRST LED grow. I was going to mix in some different spectrums with some HLG kits around the edges or bottoms, later in the grow.
ROFLMAO! My "high horse"? Rookie, I have more under my belt in a month than you have under your belt in a lifetime. My current "inventory"?

21 Strains. 8 Autos, 11 Photos, 2 self developed.

23 Bonsai'd Clone Mommas (would LOOOOOOOOVE to see you attempt that). That's real bonsai... Root Trims, Top Trims, High Stress Training, 3 inch deep pots. So much for the love of roots...

9 Full Size Plants in Flower. When I say "full size" I'm referring to an unadulterated plant with the exception of the bottom third trimmed. Purple Mountain Majesty, Squirt (both strains by HSC), Super 90 (Auto), Monster Kush (Auto), Purple Headband (Auto), Green Headband (Auto).

1 Bonsai In Flower which also follows Espalier methods. White Widow.

17 strains are in my aero cloner.

Current Nutes used depending on the strain and method:

Fox Farms: Classic Trio
Earth Juice - Seablast 4 Part
Diatamaceous Earth (uh.... yes it actually has a nute value) (dual use sup & pest control)
Bat Guano (sup)
Earth Juice - Cal/Mag (sup)

Want to get into a grow off? I'm more than game and will show you how to grow bud in a variety of methods applied to a WIDE variety of strains. But I'm not the one on my high horse. I just call it like I see it. So many people attempt to get into this with a lot of "knowledge" gleaned from the web.

I have a hard time believing ANYONE with ANY hydro experience would grow from a cooler. It makes no sense. Jesus you could take a standard 50 gal hydro res with a lid, drill it and go for DWC with a bubbler/direct feed on a drip manifold set up/flood and drain with a timer, for 1/2 the cost and a hell of a lot less maintenance than a cooler.

Want to see what a real no bullshit grow looks like? Go look at my grow off with BSG. Want to see what someone who has a hydro system looks like? Check out BSG's rig. He's on a bucket system. Those nutes are constantly recirculating from res to bucket and back again. Keeps it fresh for the plant, prevents fungus build up, optimum fresh nutes to the roots... the list is endless with respect to why a bucket system with a central res kicks the living dog shit out of the Coleman Special.

IDK in today's world of political correctness and delicate sensibilities people no longer have the stones to call others out on their bullshit. Unfortunately that's not what I'm about. I planted my first seed in 1991, had a REAL mentor back then, and have grown out I can't even count how much at this point. Show your past grows or something to back up your bullshit. Your equipment is too shiny and new to have ran too many cycles through it for sure. And those pots? Good god man there is this thing called... The Amazon. And they can have the right shit to you in about 3 days.

You do you. I'm going to sit back and watch it burn until you actually get it right. Good luck!

But what’s the major issue here?
@MHippie knows his stuff. We all have our preference and experience. Many ways to skin a cat.

I’m sure he does. I don’t doubt that.

I just don’t quite understand the harsh treatment.

Can you help me better understand this? I can understand if I was doing some clearly stupid shit.

But all my numbers are in check. This setup is better than any of my others, and while I know it’s not the best. I know it’s not the worst.

I didn’t know that AN wasn’t compatible with H202.

Has something changed over the years? I understand RDWC, waterfalls, flood tables, coco, lots of options. But aren’t they just that? Options? I mean sure some produce different results than others, but does standalone DWC with high DO, cool water, base nutrients, climate control, not produce quality cannabis?

What is so wrong here ?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Well if in a basement co2 is higher so its a good place to grow if you can control the environment.

I run1200ppm of co2 and about 1400ppfd.

Without co2 I would say 900ish ppfd in flower. Probably about 600ppfd in veg. Have to take into account the photo period.

FourthCity

FourthCity

It’s 3 planes in 40 gallons of water ?
Each plant needs more space and it will be difficult to drain and fill the reservoir. Can you show me someone that has done what you are trying to do successfully? I couldnt fit three of my full grown 5 gallon plants in your tent so its not like the buckets are a size limiter and if its just about watering less than why not get 10 or 20 gallon buckets? You talk about still wanting to lift and check on individual plants but that is not going to work when they are all in the same reservoir.

My only concern would be the root tangle. Again its doable and many ppl do it very successfully. If you need to pull a plant due to PM or something then your likely to damage roots that could lead to an infection. Again not a huge risk and I agree its an absolutely viable way to grow.

How is it superior to buckets when the plants are grown only a few inches from each other? If the reservoir was big enough to have each plant site at least a couple feet apart that would be different but op is talking about growing 3 plants out of a cooler. Even rdwc isnt better than buckets if you position the sites that close. If the plants are grown well no amount of training will change the fact that significant productive portions of them will have to be removed to make room as they age.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Each plant needs more space and it will be difficult to drain and fill the reservoir. Can you show me someone that has done what you are trying to do successfully? I couldnt fit three of my full grown 5 gallon plants in your tent so its not like the buckets are a size limiter and if its just about watering less than why not get 10 or 20 gallon buckets? You talk about still wanting to lift and check on individual plants but that is not going to work when they are all in the same reservoir.

How is it superior to buckets when the plants are grown only a few inches from each other? If the reservoir was big enough to have each plant site at least a couple feet apart that would be different but op is talking about growing 3 plants out of a cooler. Even rdwc isnt better than buckets if you position the sites that close. If the plants are grown well no amount of training will change the fact that significant productive portions of them will have to be removed to make room as they age.
More water volume means more stability. 4 plants in 40 gal res prob has about 30 gal of water. 4 plants in 5 gal each has about 14 gallons.

Trimming and training under a scrog you can steer growth. You just need to lookat it openly. If almost all growth is directed outward.

Top Bottom