Dwc woes - constant failure

• Thread starter hm7
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

AtlaTeryx

Here ya go. Hopefully there's nothing majorly wrong with it.

Before it's brought up, no, that's not orange RTV - those are rubber gaskets and stainless hardware (which will be the feed/return lines from the chiller.

No water in the system yet (which is why the bluelab ph probes are sitting temporarily in a container. I'm still finalizing external pump/chiller plumbing. Ran out of parts, so ... won't actually be able to be filled for a few days.

Planning to use the towels around the edge of the hydroton/netpots to keep light from getting in around that area.
So, I take it this is the 3rd system you are building?

H

hm7

Well .... I thought things were going okay on the new system. One of the two is growing well, however the other one is growing slowly compared to the other.

Today I went to look at the slower growing one, only to discover there's some kind of 'fuzzy stuff' up on her stem. I'm assuming this is mold/fungal growth right? If so .... pull both plants, sanitize tent, etc right?

Screen Shot 2022 11 02 at 42836 PM
Last edited:
H

hm7

Well, it got worse over night. Upon closer examination, it's clear to me that it was damping off. Not sure how that happened, humidity levels were only sitting around 55-58%, although I'm sure it's much more humid in the area right above the netpots. I've never seen anything other than a tiny seedling damp-off before.

The other one is still going, and honestly growing great. I'm finally starting to see some of the fabled and ever elusive 'quick dwc growth'. However - I think this is where my journey ends. I told myself this would be my one last attempt to see if I could get through something without issues, and while one of the two is still going (and seemingly thriving), I'm already just waiting for the other to go down hill and encounter problems too.

This will be my last update on this thread. I may revisit DWC in the future again some day, as I've learned an incredible amount over my various attempts and failures - however for right now and the foreseeable future, I will be switching to Coco. I'm going to attempt to save the one that's still going well and transplant her into an auto-feeding coco setup going forward.

Thanks to everyone who helped for their efforts and sharing their knowledge. It's truly a shame to throw in the towel. I feel quite defeated but ... too much time and money has been expunged at this point, and it's time to move on to another method. Cheers.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Well .... I thought things were going okay on the new system. One of the two is growing well, however the other one is stagnating/growing slow.

Today I went to look at the stagnating one, only to discover there's some kind of 'fuzzy stuff' up on her stem. I'm assuming this is mold right? If so .... pull everything, sanitize tent, etc right?
Id get some more airflow in the room and lower your water level a bit. You can cover that. I wouldnt worry about it to much given its from the high moisture levels of that area. When i fully submerge the rockwool it slows growth for sure. I wick up keeping the bottom of the rockwool flush with the water level. You can just lift up on the cube to raise it up higher, my rockwool is flush with the net pot to and top of my system. When i top off i want as much water in the system as possible.. I also want the bottom 5% of the rockwool submerged for wicking after top offs.

I dont top feed or leave air gaps between water level and net pot.

Id raise the cube where the top is flush with the surface and add more pebbles. Then add water yo bottom of cube.

Latest posts

Top Bottom