Early color change, any advice?

• Thread starter Brotofsky
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Brotofsky

Brotofsky

We have 50’s at night, still ok. I’m in central VT. My Sundae Brunch is the potted one that I can move to protect and has a good month. I also have a 9lb hammer that thankfully is known for a shorter flower but is way far behind. I need a solid 1.5 months more. Just hopeful that she makes it to maturity.

Rooke

Rooke

We have 50’s at night, still ok. I’m in central VT. My Sundae Brunch is the potted one that I can move to protect and has a good month. I also have a 9lb hammer that thankfully is known for a shorter flower but is way far behind. I need a solid 1.5 months more. Just hopeful that she makes it to maturity.
sure would be nice if we were able to get to the end of October if only!

NorthernGreener

NorthernGreener

I live about 2 hours north of the Maine border and I've have had the temp drop to between 40 and 50°F at night, so I fed my girls a mix of tea and molasses with bone and blood meal mixed into it plus there regular nutes. while there is no fixing the color fade they seem super happy with the boost juice and the fade seems to have slowed for now at least.

Flappenschmapple

Flappenschmapple

Update: today noticed the purple moving down the plant towards healthy green mid/bottom halves of plants. I originally thought it was environmental issue due to high heat and sun exposure everyday for consecutive weeks at start of flower, but I’m starting to think it could be a primary nutrient Deficiency perhaps P and K I have kind of pussy footed the nutes this year. My soil is still quite damp from watering the other day. soil ph range between 6-6.48 I’d like to give it some nutes but don’t want to soak soil anymore. Any thoughts?

Brotofsky

Brotofsky

Update: today noticed the purple moving down the plant towards healthy green mid/bottom halves of plants. I originally thought it was environmental issue due to high heat and sun exposure everyday for consecutive weeks at start of flower, but I’m starting to think it could be a primary nutrient Deficiency perhaps P and K I have kind of pussy footed the nutes this year. My soil is still quite damp from watering the other day. soil ph range between 6-6.48 I’d like to give it some nutes but don’t want to soak soil anymore. Any thoughts?
Pics really help

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Normal for the conditions. It's likely due to a slight N deficiency. In leaves that photosynthesize less this is common. It's no secret the older larger leaves are less efficient. Cooler temps also impact this as lower rates of photosynthesis and anthocyanins do best under 70f.

Genetics is the biggest contributing factor as genetics that don't produce color (anthocyanins) will simply yellow. The purpling in this case is anthocyanins not deficiency.

See photos of the same thing as it progresses.

20200820 124902
20200824 150608
20200828 202643
20200905 173200
Brotofsky

Brotofsky

Normal for the conditions. It's likely due to a slight N deficiency. In leaves that photosynthesize less this is common. It's no secret the older larger leaves are less efficient. Cooler temps also impact this as lower rates of photosynthesis and anthocyanins do best under 70f.

Genetics is the biggest contributing factor as genetics that don't produce color (anthocyanins) will simply yellow. The purpling in this case is anthocyanins not deficiency.

See photos of the same thing as it progresses.
Aqua Man you really are a superhero!! ✊🏼

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Oh should mention that this usually occurs more pronounced under high light conditions.

Flappenschmapple

Flappenschmapple

Sorry for the delayed pics but here they are. I have been slacking on the bloom last few weeks, and they are in 20 gal buckets. One with ocean forest the other with coast of Maine. Like stated above it has been unbelievably hot here so I originally lay thought it was heat or light stress because it started at top of plant but over last three days it has dramatically worsened. I originally thought it could be a primary nute deficiency because of slacking on bloom during first couple weeks of flower. Hope i can salavage something from them. Turning into rough first time, ha

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Sorry for the delayed pics but here they are. I have been slacking on the bloom last few weeks, and they are in 20 gal buckets. One with ocean forest the other with coast of Maine. Like stated above it has been unbelievably hot here so I originally lay thought it was heat or light stress because it started at top of plant but over last three days it has dramatically worsened. I originally thought it could be a primary nute deficiency because of slacking on bloom during first couple weeks of flower. Hope i can salavage something from them. Turning into rough first time, ha
I'm not going to post links but if you simply search up anthocyanins and cannabis you will see many examples and explanations of how and why this occurs. Generally the 3 biggest influences are genetics, temp and to a small degree nutrients... especially nitrogen ime.

Brotofsky

Brotofsky

Colors look just like mine except that you better have your snippets sharpened and trimming fingers in training! 😁
Foliage season is definitely starting early this yr and our outdoor ladies are not immune.

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

YO! Dont feed your flowering plants a buncha N, its called healthy fall colors, you actually want this to happen. Feeding too much N is flower is a killer, were only a few weeks out and by the end your plants will have changed color, i know its hard to watch them turn colors but this is only natural. The purpling for you notherners is either genetics or cold temps, still nothing to worry yourself about. Its almost flushin time!!!

Flappenschmapple

Flappenschmapple

YO! Dont feed your flowering plants a buncha N, its called healthy fall colors, you actually want this to happen. Feeding too much N is flower is a killer, were only a few weeks out and by the end your plants will have changed color, i know its hard to watch them turn colors but this is only natural. The purpling for you notherners is either genetics or cold temps, still nothing to worry yourself about. Its almost flushin time!!!
I was originally thinking it could be a P deficiency if anything? I wouldn’t give any extra N during flowering. Temps def cooled down significantly from two weeks ago. Back in the 80’s tomorrow mid 60’s today with on and off sun

Brotofsky

Brotofsky

I agree! I think it’s difficult to accept this yr as these color changes started about 3 weeks or so ago when normally they don’t start until now.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

How long do you like to run N? I have so far done only a tiny bit of N during flower with high P and med K for most of flower and coming strong with the K at the end
I run transition until after the 3rd week then dial back.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

How long do you like to run N? I have so far done only a tiny bit of N during flower with high P and med K for most of flower and coming strong with the K at the end
Yes, the plant needs less nitrogen once it's completed it's stretch. However many of the bloom only nutes don't have enough nitrogen to begin with. I feed my plants with a light dose of veg nutes mixed into the water along with my bloom nutes and slowly taper it off until about the last week to 10 days before harvest. Too many people seem to accept the almost dead plant look as "normal" right before harvest. What I've experienced is if you cut your nutes too soon and the plant drops an over abundance of leaves, you actually slow down your finish. This does not mean that plant fade isn't normal. It's going to fade into fall colors. It's up to the grower to manage this part of the grow to minimize unhealthy leaves by providing appropriate levels of nutrients all the way through to the end.

It's ok to give your plants a little boost of nitrogen if you're seeing premature yellowing and leaf loss sooner than expected.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yes, the plant needs less nitrogen once it's completed it's stretch. However many of the bloom only nutes don't have enough nitrogen to begin with. I feed my plants with a light dose of veg nutes mixed into the water along with my bloom nutes and slowly taper it off until about the last week to 10 days before harvest. Too many people seem to accept the almost dead plant look as "normal" right before harvest. What I've experienced is if you cut your nutes too soon and the plant drops an over abundance of leaves, you actually slow down your finish. This does not mean that plant fade isn't normal. It's going to fade into fall colors. It's up to the grower to manage this part of the grow to minimize unhealthy leaves by providing appropriate levels of nutrients all the way through to the end.

It's ok to give your plants a little boost of nitrogen if you're seeing premature yellowing and leaf loss sooner than expected.
So much this ^^^

Latest posts

Top Bottom