Elusives Grow #2 is starting tonight

• Thread starter elusiveshame
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JerzeyMike

JerzeyMike

Looks like you’re off to a great start. When you are ready to do some lst, check out some velcro gardening tape. It works great, you can adjust and move them around real easy. I never liked the stuff until i found it sticks great to fabric bags. Happy growing! ✌🏻

8E598D44 69BF 46DF A653 AF2F2482A69F
E

elusiveshame

Looks like you’re off to a great start. When you are ready to do some lst, check out some velcro gardening tape. It works great, you can adjust and move them around real easy. I never liked the stuff until i found it sticks great to fabric bags. Happy growing! ✌🏻

Never even thought of Velcro straps. You don’t have issues with them peeling off from the tension?

The red clips seem to be working for now on the autos, but I don’t think those alone will get the job done.

JerzeyMike

JerzeyMike

Not really. One will pop off now and again. But for the most part they do whats needed. I wrap the softer side right loosely around the stem just under a node, so it cant slip up. The run, that all i used for training. And when i am done with them, i roll it back up for next time.

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
Not really. One will pop off now and again. But for the most part they do whats needed. I wrap the softer side right loosely around the stem just under a node, so it cant slip up. The run, that all i used for training. And when i am done with them, i roll it back up for next time.
I’m going to get those for my TF grow, can you send me a video or close up of your process, PM is fine to not hijack a diary, unless elusive is good with it. Pretty sure I follow but wanna make sure I’ll be doing it right

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
This mornings pic:
Can’t even tell the top gorillas are bent 😅 these plants are amazing

Edit: The temp and humidity has been slightly more challenging to control in this tent. The temp is kind of easy enough to play with as I can dim the light a bit, increase the exhaust fan, or just turn off the pellet stove for a few hours (or turn it down, which is what I did).

The humidity, on the other hand, seems to be typically between 45 and 55%, typically landing around the 50%. I don't think this is a major issue, but I do have 2 humidifiers going, one of which is constantly running. This *should* balance out as the plants grow and they get more water in the pots.
These girls grow fast for sure!! Regarding your humidity issues, do you leave your tent open or closed with lights on? Is your humidifier inside the tent or outside?

Edit:
I think I see it inside your tent, and believe it’s the same one I have. If I put mine at level 3 inside my tent my humidity gets to damn near 80%. Right now I’m keeping it on for 3 hours a day to keep my humidity levels at 50% with my tent open. During Veg I had it inside my tent at level 2 and had humidity levels steady at 72%

E

elusiveshame

These girls grow fast for sure!! Regarding your humidity issues, do you leave your tent open or closed with lights on? Is your humidifier inside the tent or outside?

Edit:
I think I see it inside your tent, and believe it’s the same one I have. If I put mine at level 3 inside my tent my humidity gets to damn near 80%. Right now I’m keeping it on for 3 hours a day to keep my humidity levels at 50% with my tent open. During Veg I had it inside my tent at level 2 and had humidity levels steady at 72%

Both humidifiers are in my tent. I did just bump up the new one to level 3, the other one is just “on” or “off”, but that’s controlled by the hygro outlet (currently set to shut off at 55%)

I leave my tent zipped up unless I’m poking around in there. The main issue is that my pellet stove drops my house humidity pretty low (right now it’s 45% upstairs and 38% downstairs), where during the summer months it’s typically 50% downstairs and 55-60% upstairs.

I think as long as I’m above 50% things should be fine. Nature doesn’t have a perfect 60-65% daily, so as long as I’m above 45% I think I should be okay.

Edit: turned on the display of the new one and it’s saying 56%, so I don’t think I have anything to worry about.

Last edited:
S

scotta

I followed your first grow and was really impressed with your knowledge. I'm new, only one grow complete. Just starting my second. So dumb question.

When do you transplant from the solo cups and to what?

Thanks.

E

elusiveshame

I followed your first grow and was really impressed with your knowledge. I'm new, only one grow complete. Just starting my second. So dumb question.

When do you transplant from the solo cups and to what?

Thanks.

Thanks for the compliment!

I’m transplanting most likely tomorrow or Monday (Sunday is 2 weeks since they grew their first true leaves on the white widows).

Some folks say transplant when you see the roots coming out of the drain holes, others say when the leaves extend to the edge or beyond the edge of the pot/cup, it’s time to transplant.

Since the white widows are bushing to the edge and beyond, it’s probably time to move them up.

Last time I just transplanted into the soil. This time I’ll be adding Mykos when I transplant, and I’ll be going from the solo cup to a 5 gal fabric pot as I’m lazy and don’t want to transplant a 2nd time (plus I don’t have enough 3 gal pots for all of them).

I’m using happy frog soil this time around as well. I’ll also be fashioning a pseudo auto watering system as well this weekend :)

E

elusiveshame

Since most of my Amazon packages arrived tonight, I started building the “auto watering” stations.

I saw a video breaking down the AC Infinity auto watering base, and I figured I could build them much cheaper than $15 a piece.

Here’s a link to them: https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-Self-Watering-Auto-Irrigation-Greenhouses/

DECBC10D DC69 4F2F 952C 4B13B1CBBDBA

Here it is assembled, though missing 1 part - the absorption wicks.

Here’s what it looks like under the pot holder:

9123D150 7DC3 4E02 A64E 2F65B839A86D

Here’s the links to the materials used:

Pot lifters ($12 per 6):

14” pot saucers ($20 per 6): https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B092868LWC

Wick ($7 per 50 ft): https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07CLNGBRL

Pipe was $10 for a 10’ piece, which is enough to make 10 or 11 sets for this project.

Total cost: $50

Breakdown per each setup:
1 lifter: $2
1 saucer: $3.33
1 ft of pipe (actually it’s only 10”, but easy math): $1
Wick (2 pieces at 18” each/3 ft worth): $0.50

Total: $7 each

That’s less than 50% of the AC infinity bases.

The only difference is the AC infinity holds 1 gallon, and these saucers hold a little over a half gallon, and these don’t have the “you’re full” meter.

The wicks won’t arrive until Sunday, so I won’t be able to use these as intended just yet, but this should make watering a lot easier.

Adding this in case anyone was looking for a similar solution at a cheaper price.

E

elusiveshame

Pic from this morning:

787444FA D911 403A 9D0C FA329B425ECF

A white spot developed on my humidifier, so I removed the lid and scrubbed it with a Clorox wipe. Seems like it’s a discoloration. Unsure if PWM would resist a rigorous scrubbing like that or not. I might see what I can do to modify the cover and attach a tube to it.

679CE42C 041A 45AB 899D 954F6CA405A1

I cleaned out the 2x4, gave it a good wash with some disinfectant, and now I’m letting it air out and get to a good temperature and humidity level before moving the auto gorillas over.

That’s not the final placement of the pots, though I’m not sure it’ll look much different due to space.

Because of the size of the tent, I could only fit 3 of the auto watering buckets in there, so I’m not going to bother with them in this tent for the moment.

I moved the humidifier to a more accessible location as well.

Next will be repotting 4 of the 5 solo cups into 5 gal bags, and moving the autos to the other tent.

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
I might’ve missed it but what kind of water are you using for your humidifier?

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
That would be why, if you’re running a mist humidifier you want to use RO or distilled water only. Using tap will get you that white buildup and eventually lead to algae buildup and a dead humidifier spraying bad mist. I get 6 gallon bottles of RO for like $4-6

E

elusiveshame

That would be why, if you’re running a mist humidifier you want to use RO or distilled water only. Using tap will get you that white buildup and eventually lead to algae buildup and a dead humidifier spraying bad mist. I get 6 gallon bottles of RO for like $4-6
Unfortunately I don’t want to spend $5+ daily on water. I’ll just have to clean it weekly/biweekly then to make sure no algae forms.

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
Your humidifier goes through 6 gallons a day? 6 gallons last me around 2 weeks give or take. But I feel ya, you’ve gotta save where you can. I just look at the long game of having to buy another humidifier. There’s too many chemicals in tap that you don’t want misting around

E

elusiveshame

Your humidifier goes through 6 gallons a day? 6 gallons last me around 2 weeks give or take. But I feel ya, you’ve gotta save where you can. I just look at the long game of having to buy another humidifier. There’s too many chemicals in tap that you don’t want misting around
This one doesn’t shut off by itself. I can have it run on a timer, but once it’s off, it’s a manual on.

I have it misting on the highest setting right now, and it goes through about 6 liters in 20-24 hours, so a little over a gallon a day.

I can get a filter for the tap if you think that’ll help. I should get one anyway tbh.

E

elusiveshame

Alright, the 2x4’ has aired out so I moved the strawberry gorilla autos over to that tent:

E7AF00E5 F4A8 45CC BCA5 ECDF164EE4CD

I have the light on 40-60% (I forget the exact increments), and 22” from the canopy currently. I’ll use the Photone app to see where the levels lie in a little bit.

White Widow A was transplanted to a 5 gal pot:
05533A11 9C17 4E92 941D EE58C54DA451

Roots look pretty solid. I sprinkled a tablespoon of Mykos on it and in the hole / fill used to sturdy her in place, gave a light watering and put her in the tent:

7ECA1DF9 AE52 45BD A6B2 3BC92BD54F09

Next will be the other 2 widows and Lucid Dreams. The Silver Alert has probably another few days / week before needing to be transplanted.

E

elusiveshame

The other 2 white widows have been transplanted. I didn’t take pics of the roots as they looked pretty much the same as the first.

B4809C27 5EBF 4340 BABA 81AC62168CE2

I removed the pipes from under the risers as I want to run them through the dishwasher first. I’m also going to rearrange inside of the tent a little bit so I have easy access to everything I need once the plants get bigger.

I’ll do the Lucid Dreams when my soil arrives (supposed to be today). I might just do the silver alert today as well, even though it’s still a bit early for her.

E

elusiveshame

Transplanting finished! Photos are now in their final 5 gal fabric pots in the 4x4, strawberry gorilla autos are in the 2x4, and now I wait 😅

E5C8FAE6 43B3 4D73 84B8 ADBC9B27C8C2

I had to do some reconfiguration as well, especially since the timer outlet was in the back left corner.

I ran another extension cable and surge strip around so now it’s on the front right. I put the 2nd oscillating fan on the lower right side and have 2 stationary ones hanging from the top blowing down.

Now all that’s left for today is cutting 5 more pieces for the risers, wash them, then set them up and tomorrow I can add the drink wicks.

E

elusiveshame

I went to adjust/lst the 2 gorillas and ended up having to remove the red 90 degree clips as the stalks already grew to the size of the channel. I decided to go back to the garden wire since it worked well enough.

Strawberry Gorilla A:
171BE340 6CFE 4F0B A1B5 5522A6BB8199

ABAED1B6 3553 400A B5C1 F944D761E15B

I dug out some of the soil under the lower leaves for right now. I’ll likely snip them in a few days.

Strawberry Gorilla B:
874E0D8F 1CA4 4926 ABC3 F719690DDFCB

545951C9 03DA 4563 8A44 0EAAC29F2F5C

Less training on this one as she’s lagging a day or 2 behind A, so her offshoots aren’t large enough to really do anything with just yet.

Top Bottom