• Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I've also been seeing people starting to use UV light to kill/ward off spider mites so i did some checking. From a reliable source:

"UV treatments had a negligible effect on survival of adult female spider mites, but killed more than 99% of larvae and nymphs, and 100% of eggs, both in a laboratory strain and a wild-type strain collected shortly before the experiments were conducted."

So you should be able to get a handle on them by just killing the eggs and babies. Males generally live about 7 days, females about 11 days.
Did it say which kind of UV light? UVA, UVB, or UVC?

sshz

sshz

I've seen both UV-B and UV-C mentioned as the UV to use......... but not UV-A. @Aqua Man posted a report in July in another thread.

I'm assuming both are somewhat effective at this point...............

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah I remember that convo... the key to uvb i would think is getting the UVB to reflect back up onto the bottom sides of the leaves where the mites tend to be. So maybe daily done by hand with a small source and lots of ppe.... under canopy uvb with short duration busts.... or reflective material over the pots, maybe like cardboard cut out for the stalk and some tinfoil taped or glued down.

sshz

sshz

Also, the mites will not migrate upward towards the light, preferring to stay lower on the plant where they'll do less damage to the plants.

sshz

sshz

Hey Sshz are you going to upgrade to those Spider Farmer 7000's anytime soon. They are getting 3.57 pounds per light if my calculations are correct.

Spider Farmer customer service contacted me last week and asked me if I'd be interested in having one to test against the Gavita........ I thought about it over night and mentioned it to the wife and SHE SHOT IT DOWN. It would have been nice to have but she made some good points and I told them no, not now. But I've left the door open for down the road possibly.

Even though I've been more than happy with the Gavita's, I still want to improve on things before moving forward with something else. 100 oz a crop is about my max every 3 months or so, more product would just sit around. Most of you probably will take issue, but I'm really happy with what I got. New things are going to continue to come out in the coming months and years, I don't want to be chasing after the newest and best time and again.

Madmax

Madmax

Gavitas not avail here...whats happening is they are coming up on evilbay for these ridiculous prices.ive tried to get a sunsystem light from growers choice posted to here and was close to 900 bucks. lol.

Heynow

Heynow

I've seen both UV-B and UV-C mentioned as the UV to use......... but not UV-A. @Aqua Man posted a report in July in another thread.

I'm assuming both are somewhat effective at this point...............
Great read. Interesting addition to ipm

Cohi

Cohi

Sshz:

Curious if you ended up keeping the Gavita controllers and adapters in play, or are you just running full power and adjusting light height on this run?

im on a 2nd run of gelato mint, but this is the first time I’m using the 1700e lights (with controller) and there’s a bit of a learning curve here with the new lights. I’m playing around with the Korona light app to help set power levels/ppfd. But haven’t compared it to a fancy meter for any accuracy. Not much posted by folks running these lights yet so I really appreciate you sharing your experiences and knowledge. Your last thread helped me immensely.

Kylesidious

Kylesidious

Sshz:

Curious if you ended up keeping the Gavita controllers and adapters in play, or are you just running full power and adjusting light height on this run?

im on a 2nd run of gelato mint, but this is the first time I’m using the 1700e lights (with controller) and there’s a bit of a learning curve here with the new lights. I’m playing around with the Korona light app to help set power levels/ppfd. But haven’t compared it to a fancy meter for any accuracy. Not much posted by folks running these lights yet so I really appreciate you sharing your experiences and knowledge. Your last thread helped me immensely.
How are you liking the Gavita? Have you used any less expensive LED options to compare to?

Cohi

Cohi

How are you liking the Gavita? Have you used any less expensive LED options to compare to?
I’d been running two 4x8 tents pretty continuous, each with 6 600w galaxyhydro blurple lights for a few years. I ditched the tents and just converted the entire room about a month ago. His far, I like the gavitas a lot more and being out of the confines of a tent makes it a lot easier to work.

sshz

sshz

First off, yes, I love the lights. Not one complaint other than me hitting my head on them 10X a day. I would buy them again in a minute, and wish I had done it sooner. I've made my money back many times over in just 2 grows.

I still own the Master Controller and adapters, they are just sitting 4 feet away from me. They enjoy watching TV as much as I do. I have not hooked them up because I do not see any value in using them. Maybe one day when I'm bored shitless, I'll hook it all up..........

I would think the dimming function is their main selling point, as you can dim and save some electricity instead of adjusting the lights. The electricity is pretty cheap in my state at about 7 cents per kWh, very cheap. I think there is also a on/off timer, temperature probes you keep at plant level, and some other functions but I'm home all the time and in the room constantly. To me they are just a toy, and surely not necessary. I have them up on Ebay, we'll see.

I just got a notice, my UV-B lights will be here on Tues....... I'm excited about getting them mounted before the room becomes unmanageable..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom