Fan Leaves Removal During Flowering

• Thread starter Nukesrt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Over fertilized how?? First grow I used double the amount (recirculating) and had no problems. Tinyyyy bit of tip burn but that’s about it. Second grow I used half the nutrients (drain to waste program) so how exactly was I over fertilizing when I fed them about 700ppm once per week. They were starved if anything.

lights too low? When? Where? Where was the light bleaching and damage showing that??? Where’s the light burn? I had them too high at one point (60cm) and then lowered the (30-40cm). I seriously think you got me confused with someone else

it all worked fine for my first grow. The light that apparently needed upgrading, the over fertilized plants. Etc. My first grow went great with all that stuff. The second grow was absolute shit and I feel it’s because of the major major defoliation that I did. Since when is basic LST responsible for hurting yields when I vegged for 2 months

where were my ph issues? I was at 5.75 to 6 the entire grow? So was I over feeding or under feeding due to my ph issues???

The only major, possibly negative thing I did different between grow 1 (3.5 oz per plant) and grow 2 (2 oz per plant) was major defoliation. Absolutely relevant to what the op is asking 🤷‍♀️

I feel like defoliation and stripping the plant to nothing except a bud site is what caused my shit yields because I didn’t really overly struggle or fail at any other areas. I made a mistake or two and had a problem or two yeah. But the biggest, most significant one, I feel, was defoliation about 200 leaves at once, several times throughout the cycle with no recovery time. I tried asking and getting an answer here but not a single soul knew that very basic and apparently obvious knowledge. Learned that one myself the hard way over a period of 6 months. Awesome.

Gotta love forums and sharing knowledge so mistakes like that don’t happen and basic questions like that can be answered and not just ignored. Awesome communication we got here 👍
With an attitude like that no wonder no one rolled in to help you!
Cool your jets or someone will!!
Just sayin:)

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

There is no question in my mind that doing some defoliation to increase air flow is beneficial. But I do that to keep diseases at bay. I also remove growth from the lower, shaded parts of the plant, just so the plant doesn't waste resources by feeding those popcorn bud growing points.

I have yet to see a side-by-side demonstration of heavy defoliation with no defoliation or defoliation to improve air flow. I would need to see that to be convinced. If light passes through the plant without hitting a green plant part, that light is wasted.

a4twenty

a4twenty

Over fertilized how?? First grow I used double the amount (recirculating) and had no problems. Tinyyyy bit of tip burn but that’s about it. Second grow I used half the nutrients (drain to waste program) so how exactly was I over fertilizing when I fed them about 700ppm once per week. They were starved if anything.

lights too low? When? Where? Where was the light bleaching and damage showing that??? Where’s the light burn? I had them too high at one point (60cm) and then lowered the (30-40cm). I seriously think you got me confused with someone else

it all worked fine for my first grow. The light that apparently needed upgrading, the over fertilized plants. Etc. My first grow went great with all that stuff. The second grow was absolute shit and I feel it’s because of the major major defoliation that I did. Since when is basic LST responsible for hurting yields when I vegged for 2 months

where were my ph issues? I was at 5.75 to 6 the entire grow? So was I over feeding or under feeding due to my ph issues???

The only major, possibly negative thing I did different between grow 1 (3.5 oz per plant) and grow 2 (2 oz per plant) was major defoliation. Absolutely relevant to what the op is asking 🤷‍♀️

I feel like defoliation and stripping the plant to nothing except a bud site is what caused my shit yields because I didn’t really overly struggle or fail at any other areas. I made a mistake or two and had a problem or two yeah. But the biggest, most significant one, I feel, was defoliation about 200 leaves at once, several times throughout the cycle with no recovery time. I tried asking and getting an answer here but not a single soul knew that very basic and apparently obvious knowledge. Learned that one myself the hard way over a period of 6 months. Awesome.

Gotta love forums and sharing knowledge so mistakes like that don’t happen and basic questions like that can be answered and not just ignored. Awesome communication we got here 👍
I'm not even going to read it all, click on your own name then ask it to find all threads by you.

good luck with your next grow

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
I have been defoliationg a huge amount throughout my first grow because I have 6 main plants, 2 extra plants and 2 clone pots, all in a 2x4x6ft tent, so I have had no choice.
Mine are completely lollipopped and tidied up on the inside and the lower half for max airflow and light penetration, it does seem to be a tough strain though.

a4twenty

a4twenty

The only major, possibly negative thing I did different between grow 1 (3.5 oz per plant) and grow 2 (2 oz per plant) was major defoliation. Absolutely relevant to what the op is asking🤷‍♀️

I feel like defoliation and stripping the plant to nothing except a bud site is what caused my shit yields because I didn’t really overly struggle or fail at any other areas. I made a mistake or two and had a problem or two yeah. But the biggest, most significant one, I feel, was defoliation about 200 leaves at once, several times throughout the cycle with no recovery time.

maybe you misread the title, because stripping your plant of hundreds of leaves multiple times without recovery during veg has absolutely nothing to do with removing fan leaves at one strategic time during flowering.

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
not arguing believe me, just want to know the best way and why. theres a lot of people on both sides but not so much thorough explanations.

Grow bro... I'm going to try to throw this thread back on the rails now that the young bucks have paused in trading virtual blows.

This is what defoliation on a mainline or hst looks like. I did it to make sure there was good air circulation under the canopy, and to remove all growth that wouldn't make it up to the actual canopy. It's the same thing you would do with a SOG or SCROG.

There are alot of guys here who would defoliate this plant further. But not me. If you checkout the flower growth, pisitil length, and density of the bud that is forming, this plant needs all of the fan leaves on it that it can get.

First it needs to absorb a lot of light each day to put out that kind of growth. Second those fans are like storage silos for your plant. Your plant needs something, then this is where it gets it from. Third they are your bullshit buffer. If there is a deficiency then it will hit your fans before your buds.

In the beginning, try not to out think the plant's evolution. There is a reason for each part of the plant. Get to know them. Grow out some plants naturally so that you can see what they do without manipulation. Get your basics down (light, media, nutes, ph) and understand them.

Then get to the "voodoo".

A course I follow that works for me to get to know each new strain I grow is this:

Drop 4 to 5 seeds.
When they sprout, label them. Like KQB - 1, KQB - 2, etc.
Veg out for 5 to 8 weeks depending on the strain with no mods.
Right before flower, take 2 clones from each plant.
Strip the bottom 1/3 from each donor plant. They are going to stretch.
Pull the males and their clones.
Select 1 clone from each plant that has rooted.
Veg them.
Flower the donors until they are done.
Smoke test.
Select your best plant. Keep the corresponding clone or decide you dont want to mess with the strain.
If I keep the clone then it becomes a clone momma in perpetual veg so that I can crank out that strain at will.

Those steps will force you to deal with all of the basics until you get comfortable.

Hope this helps.

20201205 073653

20201205 073655

20201205 073800

B

BroScience101

This is the one thing that bums me out most about humans, and specifically being on a growing forum, we always turn on each other instead of focusing on the science.

It doesn't matter if someone's dinky little 1 foot plants, under a dinky led, in a dinky sog, in their dinky tiny coat closet had major defoliation and in their *****OPINION***** worked out for them.

Here's another second grade picture

161009445.png

Flowers or buds do not use sunlight to turn into energy to grow bigger better meds. Those buds are literally only there to make seeds and survive. Nature is about reproducing. That is it. The buck stops there. Birth. Death. Rebirth thru seed or offspring.

Nature is perfect. Literally nothing out of place. Next time you want to do something in your garden, take an hour and just sit outside and stare at the perfection that is nature and ask yourself, would nature do this?

Humans are unnatural and this makes them unbalanced. Stop trying to swim up river, always fighting the current.

And for the record, I pluck VERY FEW fan leaves from the center stem of the plant but would never go any further into "defoliation" territory touching anything on the stems that branch off the main.

B

BroScience101

Before I unwatch this thread , I leave my fellow growers with this quote

"The standard of a civilization is the mean average level of its constructive and destructive thinking. It becomes what it thinks even as one man becomes what he thinks. The world of man is still far from knowing that every thought and action of every man reaches through and affects the thoughts of every other man. Every good thought is like a drop of water added to the ocean's level and every bad thought lowers its level. A war-making, class-dividing, race-hating civilization is not the product of one man, it is the product of all men. No one man may say: I am good, therefore, I did not make it. He lives in it and profits by its conquests or suffers its penalties." -Lao Russell

Stop turning on each other and start lifting one another up.

a4twenty

a4twenty

Stop trying to swim up river, always fighting the current.

i know he's not following the thread anymore but for those that are, this is probably the least scientific thing i have heard in a long time.

without innovation and questioning what we are told or think we know, utilizing the scientific method to push the boundries, where would the human race be?

we dont always have to be followers, try something they say cant be done, go against the norm. this is what seperates the most significant figures in history from the rest.

B

BroScience101

i know he's not following the thread anymore but for those that are, this is probably the least scientific thing i have heard in a long time.

without innovation and questioning what we are told or think we know, utilizing the scientific method to push the boundries, where would the human race be?

we dont always have to be followers, try something they say cant be done, go against the norm. this is what seperates the most significant figures in history from the rest.

Going against the norm is NOT THE SAME as going against NATURE.

Please show the community a single study where defoliation increased yield or thc production. Just one

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Do you defoliate your tomato plants?
Do you defoliate your apple trees?
Do you defoliate your pepper plants?
Do you defoliate your tobacco plants?
No?
Then why do you defoliate your marijuana plant????????

B

BroScience101

I'll put my money where my mouth is and do the leg work for the community

"Four field trials were conducted by applying four defoliation treatments (nondefoliated control, 33, 66, and 100%) at different growth stages ranging from preflowering (R2) to physiological maturity (R9). Crop yield loss increased with increasing level of defoliation. Preflowering stage R3 was the most sensitive. At this stage a 100% defoliation of the leaf surface resulted in 92% yield loss, reducing both the number of seeds per head and 1000‐seed weight. A 100% defoliation at stage R7 (back of head a pale yellow) caused a 50% yield loss, while at stage R9 (physiological maturity) defoliation had no effect on yield."

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter

Please show the community a single study where defoliation increased yield or thc production. Just one

Agreed. I royally screwed up HSC Purple Mountain Majesty, Pineapple Muffin, AND Squirt using some Jamaican Dipshit's Stupid Fucked Up Defoliation Voodoo.

A4 Go look at the pic of that plant I put up. Try to convince me that removing anything from that plant will make the bud bigger, the pistils longer, and that frost more dense. Jesus its covering fan leaves lol!!! So... cut them off? Why?

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
I defoliate because I have lots of plants in a small tent, I need to do it for proper airflow and light penetration, it seems to be working fine for me, but we'll see after harvest.... If there's anything to harvest LOL

B

BroScience101

Soybean defoliation test

"defoliation caused a significant yield reduction (15‐70%) in all cultivars; this yield reduction was greater for Dunbar than the other two cultivars. In both years, yields were directly related to the light interception capacity of soybean canopies after defoliation."

B

BroScience101

Defoliation of grapes

"Fruit set, cluster weight, berry number per cluster, berry size, and cluster compactness were reduced by all defoliation treatments as compared to non-defoliated shoots"

Top Bottom