First Ever Grow, No Til, Documenting Every Learning Step

• Thread starter FutureGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FutureGrower

Also I figured this is technically a forum about me growing, it's probably boring to most so I apologize lol.

I can't remember the day I planted it but it's maybe 5-7 days old and popped out of the soil about 4 days ago. I'm a little worried about the shorter leaves color(I know they have names but I can't remember it lol)

20180108 202839
Ecompost

Ecompost

Thanks buddy!

I have a question for anyone who knows this though, does this mean I should minimally water near the plants and water regularly further away?
if you consider the natural shape of MJ, it bears a resemblance to a Christmas tree. this shape allows water to be constantly carried out and away. When it rains, the hydrophobic leaves ferry the droplets ensuring minimal water accumulates close to the stem. So simply this means do not ever water directly up to or on the stem or at the base of the stem. I usually water my plants based on the canopy drip line. But minimum of 1ft away from the plant stem base.
Hope this helps :)

F

FutureGrower

if you consider the natural shape of MJ, it bears a resemblance to a Christmas tree. this shape allows water to be constantly carried out and away. When it rains, the hydrophobic leaves ferry the droplets ensuring minimal water accumulates close to the stem. So simply this means do not ever water directly up to or on the stem or at the base of the stem. I usually water my plants based on the canopy drip line. But minimum of 1ft away from the plant stem base.

Thanks man, I'm just wondering does this apply to seedlings as Well? I just don't want to dehydrate her lol.

Ecompost

Ecompost

Thanks man, I'm just wondering does this apply to seedlings as Well? I just don't want to dehydrate her lol.
seedlings - so before i plant, i wet the material, which is typically leaf mold/ loam, with some rice hulls. I plant in to pre watered media, then I usually start seeds in modular 4in root plugs, using a wick matt to help keep the plant searching for water and developing its roots. When i pot them up, again in pre watered media, I always water little and often at the edges of the leaf tips, or using a drip tray.

If i am planting outside, i use a selection of plants to help stabilise water locally. Lots of ground cover plants can really help maintain soil moisture, great for areas prone to drought. The warmer air underneath the leaves generated by the soil, causes the colder air to condense. go and lift a ground cover plant up, you will usually see darker soil underneath indicating higher water presence.
I have also been known to use CAM based plants in the bottom of my planting hole, say using a cactus leaf, adding soil over this before putting my plant on top, this again creates good moisture and enables plants to access water where supply might otherwise be an issue.

of course grow with mycos and humic acid, this will help retain more water and delay drought stress potentially giving you time to react.

SweetTooth75

SweetTooth75

Omg this is the nerdiest post ever. I think I'm in love. Following Following Following.

Ecompost

Ecompost

the other thing you can do is use old cola bottles etc, to make a humidifying replicate cover plant, which wont attract bugs of course, but is cheap as hell and can be used to create humid areas next to our plants to relive water stress.

If you cut the top from a 2L bottle, dig a hole in the soil next to your plant, say 1ft or at the edges of the canopy. Put the 2L cut base in the hole and fill with water, now cut the bottom from a 5L bottle, keep the lid on it. Place this over the top of the other, securing it with tent pegs or stones, this just so it doesnt blow away. As the sun rises, the bigger bottle begins to form water droplets, these run down the side and soak in to the soil, making the area around it damp. It lasts quite a few days, weeks even depending on conditions, but just top the water up to keep it working as needed. its a cool very cheap way to mimic cover crops :-)

brazel

brazel

Huh? So what happen to apical dominance and auxin? And regulating sugars and hormones, not to mention different plants around the world, rainy or dry.
I'm not saying I'm right, I'm asking what about these things?

F

FutureGrower

the other thing you can do is use old cola bottles etc, to make a humidifying replicate cover plant, which wont attract bugs of course, but is cheap as hell and can be used to create humid areas next to our plants to relive water stress.

If you cut the top from a 2L bottle, dig a hole in the soil next to your plant, say 1ft or at the edges of the canopy. Put the 2L cut base in the hole and fill with water, now cut the bottom from a 5L bottle, keep the lid on it. Place this over the top of the other, securing it with tent pegs or stones, this just so it doesnt blow away. As the sun rises, the bigger bottle begins to form water droplets, these run down the side and soak in to the soil, making the area around it damp. It lasts quite a few days, weeks even depending on conditions, but just top the water up to keep it working as needed. its a cool very cheap way to mimic cover crops :)

This idea is epic man! The city I live in has 3 nurseries none of them are open in winter so this will help me til they open thank you!

Edit: incase anyone was wondering I really do want to slap myself for using the word epic lol!

F

FutureGrower

Huh? So what happen to apical dominance and auxin? And regulating sugars and hormones, not to mention different plants around the world, rainy or dry.
I'm not saying I'm right, I'm asking what about these things?

I'm probably wrong but I believe he was just referring to marijuana plants

brazel

brazel

I'm probably wrong but I believe he was just referring to marijuana plants
No worries bro,
Apical dominance is the reason it grows Iike a Christmas tree shape. Auxin is a hormone the plant produces, its in the stems and tips it controls growth between branches you could say. Apical like the tip of a branch, dominance like it is the leader.. guess you can say.
So the highest branch is apical dominance, as long as auxin is greater than cytokinin. If you bend that branch lower than other branches you break apical dominance. That is how scrog works.
More auxin than cytokinin branches grow more cytokinin than auxin roots grow.
Auxin will regulate sugars on lower branches to help keep control of apical dominance.

F

FutureGrower

If you cut the top from a 2L bottle, dig a hole in the soil next to your plant, say 1ft or at the edges of the canopy. Put the 2L cut base in the hole and fill with water, now cut the bottom from a 5L bottle, keep the lid on it. Place this over the top of the other, securing it with tent pegs or stones, this just so it doesnt blow away. As the sun rises, the bigger bottle begins to form water droplets, these run down the side and soak in to the soil, making the area around it damp. It lasts quite a few days, weeks even depending on conditions, but just top the water up to keep it working as needed. its a cool very cheap way to mimic cover crops :)

I have 2 questions actually... this should work indoor with my lec right?

Also couldn't I do 3-4 smaller ones throughout my pot?

F

FutureGrower

No worries bro,
Apical dominance is the reason it grows Iike a Christmas tree shape. Auxin is a hormone the plant produces, its in the stems and tips it controls growth between branches you could say. Apical like the tip of a branch, dominance like it is the leader.. guess you can say.
So the highest branch is apical dominance, as long as auxin is greater than cytokinin. If you bend that branch lower than other branches you break apical dominance. That is how scrog works.
More auxin than cytokinin branches grow more cytokinin than auxin roots grow.
Auxin will regulate sugars on lower branches to help keep control of apical dominance.

Thanks man! I'll be reading more when I get home lol

Organikz

Organikz

@Ecompost and @brazel are both correct. Im sure there are multiple reasons. However in a natural enviro where cannabis planys are constantly fed pgrs via microbes in the soil this apical dominance is broken and translocated through all the shoots including laterals. We all know our shit but we all skin the cat a little differently.

F

FutureGrower

this neat little clip shows why cutting at the base and not removing the roots, why no till farming helps tomorrows crops

I also found this awhile back but I thought it had a lot of cool information being shown in video form. Pretty long for most people to watch but great for someone that doesn't know much about living soil (aka me lol)

F

FutureGrower

Also I thought I should give you guys an update. I fed the soil for the first time since planting (probably 2 weeks since I placed anything in the soil other than water) I fed her a light coating of kelp.

She generally starts praying about 5 hours into light and falls down about a hour before the lights go out.

I've kept humidity decent but at times I've left the door open for a hour by accident and it's dropped very low. I just crank up the humidifier to full blast for the night and it evens it out though.

Room temps have been between 67 and 77

I'm a little bit worried about my smart pot though since it has either rock dust or mold over a good portion of it.

In a couple days I'll probably do a coconut water and after that I'll probably throw some mbp down lightly.
20180115 093412

Top Bottom