First Grow ~ 4x4 1000w MH/HPS

• Thread starter RogueWiz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Plants are bushing up!! Still letting them grow out the mains and pull down the ends so the insides start rising up on the stems. Still figuring out the basics as this is my first grow but I think it's going good for a first time. Any suggestions ?

-Rogue
Watch out for splitting the stalk, if you pull down on its branches too hard. Too much stress on that main split can cause it to crack open.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
defoliate some big fan leaves towards the inside of the plant blocking nodes
Defoliate what? its just a baby let her grow. leaves are solar panels I wouldn't cut until there are too many leaves or after flip when you see it covering buds sites but now when it needs the power absorbing panels I'd leave them.

N

Newber

Defoliate what? its just a baby let her grow. leaves are solar panels I wouldn't cut until there are too many leaves or after flip when you see it covering buds sites but now when it needs the power absorbing panels I'd leave them.
if that was true topping wouldn't be beneficial

RogueWiz

RogueWiz

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to wait on defoliation just for a little bit as PipeCarver said since it is still young , I figure those leaves will still pull in a lot of nutrients even though it isnt receiving light; I've topped it once but keep topping new growth so I dont want too much more or I'll get too bushy I think? I've been very cautious about breaking it with my LST lol I keep moving them as its needed and its taking it surprisingly well , I wonder if all those inner Nodes growth weighs it down a little as well further strengthening the main stalks. They have gotten a bit beefy and I notice the Nodes i believe or like the strong elbow looking parts on the stalk as shown in my photo here getting bigger.

20200426 115327
RogueWiz

RogueWiz

I'm thinking a nice balance between the leaves absorbing nutrients and not too many leaves that its using too much of the nutrients for pointless growth?

RogueWiz

RogueWiz

I also will state once I added that CO2 bag it exploded , might be coincidence , might not ?

-Rogue

RogueWiz

RogueWiz

Roots Boomin, let's give it a few more weeks and maybe time for flip. Developing a nice Structure to her.
20200501 192028
20200501 192023
20200501 192028
20200501 192023

RogueWiz

RogueWiz

Added this bugger in. If temp sways 5° Hot or Cold it juices the outlet. So I hooked a heater to it so I can have my garage open a little giving new air to cycle, and keeping my temps in range. Very cool toy for 20$, and set point parameters are changeable. NOTE; only works up to 10A.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Noticed by who? Unlikely a $100, $500, or even $1000 difference at an apartment would be an issue, as long as the bill is paid. Running 1000w hps, fans, even a/c, my bill is just $123.

Last year this time, doing nothing, it was about $60.

No one is gonna say anything, or care about electric bill unless meter is bypassed

Bigger issue in apartments is smell and noise. Hell, when I was moving in to a spot once, my neighbor had a bag of Promix outside his front door. We all know no one is growing house plants with Promix. Stuff like that gets folks popped, not $200 electric bills

Shit mine was $140/month without doing anything indoor. Damn toddlers and old lady that think lights need to be on in empty rooms, or when the blinds are open and it's a sunny day. *puts dad voice away*

RogueWiz, shoot a PM. Your clones look healthy, I'm in the same region and leafly doesn't say good things about dispos for clones around here.

RogueWiz

RogueWiz

Shit mine was $140/month without doing anything indoor. Damn toddlers and old lady that think lights need to be on in empty rooms, or when the blinds are open and it's a sunny day. *puts dad voice away*

RogueWiz, shoot a PM. Your clones look healthy, I'm in the same region and leafly doesn't say good things about dispos for clones around here.

Archive Portland đź‘Ť all I hear is good from them . Or jump on craigslist and find your local hipster lol they're everywhere.

Losdamost777

Losdamost777

LEDs are the future my friend!! Do yourself a favor n get rid of that old light n upgrade!! Less stretching, thicker filler healthier plants not to mention if you happen to find one with a full spectrum mode you can switch to it will make your plants suuuuuper sticky and resinate like crazy during flowering. Cost less to run also!!

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
LEDs are the future my friend!! Do yourself a favor n get rid of that old light n upgrade!! Less stretching, thicker filler healthier plants not to mention if you happen to find one with a full spectrum mode you can switch to it will make your plants suuuuuper sticky and resinate like crazy during flowering. Cost less to run also!!
HPS is still more efficient 35% than led @ 25% and you'd have a real hard time convincing me that LED's will grow bigger badder buds than HPS will. I like the heat created from the light, I live where I either use the heat from a lamp or I have to add a heater ... savings lost on led lights. If you are restricted in area like in a tent then LED lights are the way to go but open air in a cold basement I need all the heat I can get.

Losdamost777

Losdamost777

This is just one LED nothing special nowhere near 1000 watts and as you can see every last one of my plants are greener, fuller, and stacking like crazy!! Not to mention I have about 7 different strains in this tent!! Just sayin

FB IMG 1588441233804
RogueWiz

RogueWiz

HPS is still more efficient 35% than led @ 25% and you'd have a real hard time convincing me that LED's will grow bigger badder buds than HPS will. I like the heat created from the light, I live where I either use the heat from a lamp or I have to add a heater ... savings lost on led lights. If you are restricted in area like in a tent then LED lights are the way to go but open air in a cold basement I need all the heat I can get.
Agree. I started with the HPS/MH setup because it was easy for me , I had all the tools to run it and I know it will be very effective. LED lights are a very nice option with not having to run a cooling fan, but I know to get the results I'm going to get with my bulbs I would have to spend thousands on a quality board! I pieced my whole system together for 500$, I figure I'll use weed to barter and get a led board i can run for a mother plant in my house; no heat and pulls low amps I can just plug it in and it would probably thrive on, so I can pull clones when I'm flowering. I service many big pot grows and they know no question HPS Is the best for quality weed , but drives costs way up. They're in it for quick turnaround and cost effectiveness. That looks like a nice light losdamost! What are its specs and maybe a few more pics haha! Cost etc.

Last edited:
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Agree. I started with the HPS/MH setup because it was easy for me , I had all the tools to run it and I know it will be very effective. LED lights are a very nice option with not having to run a cooling fan, but I know to get the results I'm going to get with my bulbs I would have to spend thousands on a quality board! I pieced my whole system together for 500$, I figure I'll use weed to barter and get a led board i can run for a mother plant in my house; no heat and pulls low amps I can just plug it in and it would probably thrive on, so I can pull clones when I'm flowering. I service many big pot grows and they know no question HPS Is the best for quality weed , but drives costs way up. They're in it for quick turnaround and cost effectiveness. That looks like a nice light losdamost! What are its specs and maybe a few more pics haha! Cost etc.
My indoor gardening cost for electricity is around $100 -15% tax inc. = $60 for the 1000w hps $40 for fans 4 oscillating fans + 3 bathroom exhaust fans, I use for 1 for intake and 2 for exhaust, my veg room 320 W t5 lights & seed box 110W t5 lights
Flower room
My ballast 1000watt $200Cdn Amazon
My lamp...... 1000W $100 Cdn Amazon
Reflector $80
Panda plastic $100
wood & screws for frames.....$35
Staples to tack panda plastic on the wood frames $10 but hot glue I now find works better
Veg room
$150 Cdn for t5 lights Amazon
panda plastic ....$0
Wood & screws...$0
Staples................$0
Seedling box
Light $50 cdn Amazon
panda plastic.......$0
Wood & screws...$0
staples.................$0
Black out curtains to divide rooms and cover back side of panda plastic $50

4 used fans from Value Village.......4.99 each...- 30% seniors discount....$15 tax.in
3 bathroom fans from value village..7.99 each - 30% discount $17

pic 4 flower room on right veg room on left light box and comp in center double layered black out curtains.

= $750 ish for 3 rooms built with lights and fans tax included.

Last edited:
RogueWiz

RogueWiz

I like to post a few pics every few days to let you know they're still kickin lol. Ladies doing well , bushing up once after defoliation. Also I fed them some compost tea the last few feeds. Now that they're bushing up so well everything's so dense; should I throw a scrog screen up and do another later ? What are you're ideas to separate for even light?

Note: I think the Garanimals like a cooler temp compared to Sundae Driver, only because as I let temps get a little high the Sundae Driver always looks solid, but the Garanimals started showing stress.

-Rogue

20200508 005501
20200507 205220
20200507 205227
20200507 204850

Latest posts

Top Bottom