First grow!!! Any advice appreciated

• Thread starter Gdawwwg
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gdawwwg

Gdawwwg

Hey I'm in UK too! 🤫 I'm doing a my first Coco grow atm. Your grow sounds cool. Thought of everything. Happy Growing!
Not been a great start.

First 4 clones died.
I think because I didn't top feed enough roots didn't develop and just didn't grow

So I bought 4 more. Because the idea of top feeding didn't work I raised the water level so it sat in the net pot constantly giving water supply to the roots.

They went bad after a few days but I stuck it out. Eventually 2 of them developed decent enough roots despite yellowing and drooping and virtually no growth at all. So I lowered the water level below the net pot and within a week or 2 they recovered.

I'm 99% certain the water level was my problem. I had my clones started in soil. I have looked into it and roots develop different in soil. So I think it made the plant think it was being overfed or. Drowning because the roots hadn't developed enough but were constantly soaked in water. As soon as roots burst through the bottom and I lowered the water level there was a massive difference. Regained colour and growth.

So in future I will stick with top feeding until roots are developed enough and reaching out the bottom of the net pot and access the water on there own rather than drown them

Now I have slight issues with root rot I think. Slight browning of roots in colour and I noticed a couple of droopy leaves. Not too bad but I think it's still quite early. So that's the next step to hoepfull overcome.

I will get it right eventually lol

growboy420

growboy420

So im setting up my first grow in the uk btw 🇬🇧

Iv done a fair bit of reserach. And just about to order all i need to get setup. Heres what im starting with.

. Mars hydro 1.2x1.2x2m
With sp3000. 6inch inline duct fan carbon filter combo
. Iws oxypot single x4
. 2 oscilating 6inch fans
. 8 outlet air pump
. GH hydro flora grow nutes
. Hydroguard not available so thinking great white
. Digital thermometer
. Ph tester
. Ph up and down
. Humidifier & demudifier
. Scrog net
Not sure which ph pen or thermometer or ec readers to get. Alot on the market. Something budget and accurate would be ideal. Any suggestions??

Have i missed anything off??? Please let me know.

The plan 🙏🏽
So i wanna put 4 plants in dwc. Single oxypots. 5 gallon buckets. With 2 airstone in each bucket. I was gunna use tap water(still need to test it to check ppm) but i have read that is not always great. Im hoping where i am its not too much of a problem. Use GH nutes because they seem a popular choice. And great white instead of hydroguard to keep roots healthy..iv seen the basics to run a smooth dwc grow.
. Keep water temps down
. Humidity and tent temps
. Ph 5.5-6.5
.change wateer once a week.
. Topping and lollipoping

Probably sick of nubes like me posting by now. But its worth a shot. Any advice or help is appreciated. Just want my first grow to go as smooth as possible. Feel free to take the piss i have thick skin 😁
anaerobic composted soil in buckets....
tap water 6.8 to 7.2 and CalMag..
CFLs 6500 with aquarium UV bulbs...small fan blowing on them from day one until they finish.
..I don't grow in coir or hydro..I don't over do it with lights...12000 to 19000 lux at leaves is fine.

growboy420

growboy420

Iv done a fair bit of reserach. And just about to order all i need to get setup. Heres what im starting with.

. Mars hydro 1.2x1.2x2m
. Iws oxypot single x4
. 8 outlet air pump
. Digital thermometer
. Ph tester
. Ph up and down
. Scrog net
Not sure which ph pen or thermometer or ec readers to get. Alot on the market. Something budget and accurate would be ideal. Any suggestions??

The plan 🙏🏽
So i wanna put 4 plants in dwc. Single oxypots. 5 gallon buckets. With 2 airstone in each bucket. I was gunna use tap water(still need to test it to check ppm) but i have read that is not always great. Im hoping where i am its not too much of a problem. Use GH nutes because they seem a popular choice. And great white instead of hydroguard to keep roots healthy..iv seen the basics to run a smooth dwc grow.
. Keep water temps down
. Ph 5.5-6.5

Probably sick of nubes like me posting by now. But its worth a shot. Any advice or help is appreciated. Just want my first grow to go as smooth as possible. Feel free to take the piss i have thick skin 😁
Is it legal to grow weed in UK now?..

Gdawwwg

Gdawwwg

Is it legal to grow weed in UK now?..
Unfortunately not
A lot of research. Vids or websites I looked at were mainly American based. So things like hydro guard which seem essential in dwc are not available and can't seem to find an alternative.
I use orca benefitial bacteria which is rated by some. But overall when I see people talk about preventing or curing root rot, hydro guard gets a mention

MyGrowYo

MyGrowYo

Unfortunately not
A lot of research. Vids or websites I looked at were mainly American based. So things like hydro guard which seem essential in dwc are not available and can't seem to find an alternative.
I use orca benefitial bacteria which is rated by some. But overall when I see people talk about preventing or curing root rot, hydro guard gets a mention
Hydroguard is just Bacillus amyloliquefaciens, google that with uk and you get quite a few results.

Gdawwwg

Gdawwwg

Any UK growers know of anything that works???
I only see products for root rot that will kill beneficial as I'm. Using orca I wanted something more like hydroguard or Southern ag but both are unavailable in UK.

I have pythoff which I add to res but it kills bennies.

Would pythoff in res. And top feed orca work maybe?

sambapati

sambapati

I only see products for root rot that will kill beneficial as I'm. Using orca I wanted something more like hydroguard or Southern ag but both are unavailable in UK.

Am familiar with the refrain you are singing about cant get stuff you want that is specialized. I face that same problem -- iĺegal and dont want items shipped here. My solution was to keep it all really simple: special soil, compost, perlite and amendments that are available. Splurged on airpots and a good ph meter -- 2 Mars Hydros. Most of my plants are outside but they all started inside. Given you cant go to thw hydro store -- why not start with a soil grow -- be successful and then try more advanced methods. best, a former colonist

20220104 182617
20220104 182307
20211228 110655
20211228 110627
20211228 110614
ShyDotty

ShyDotty

Ok

I bought Cannazyme it dissolves any root rot. But I'm in coco. I'm not 💯 sure but I thought it didnt kill the bennies as it's an enzyme. I add a bit weekly after the nutes. Hope that's right 🤣

ShyDotty

ShyDotty

Ok
I have had about 10 grows now and have made many of the noobie mistakes. It looks like you are planning out so hopefully things go well from the start. It took me a couple of grows before I started getting decent yields.

Personally, I have come to like wick systems with soil. They are easy, cheap, and give good yields.

One of the big noob mistakes is getting a cheap ph and ec pen. I did. Most of us make that mistake. Cheap ph pens can cause you to ruin a grow when you make corrections that werent needed. You want a bluelab ph pen. they are about 3-4X what cheap one costs. I dont recall seeing PAR meter on your list. Without a PAR meter you are only guessing at your light levels.

The other noob mistake is obsessing over your plants, molesting them a dozen times a day and making too many changes too quickly. Keep a grow diary and document feeding, watering, changes to the light, additives, temp etc. When (not if) you have a problem you can look at the diary to see recent changes. Knowing the history irs really the only way to diagnose issues. Here is a news flash: pretty much every problem you run into results in yellow leaves and brown splotches. without the diary, it is hard to tie the problem down.

The worst you can do is make quick decisions and treat the plant before you are sure. Always take your time when you think a plant is sick and look back in your diary to look for significant events.

If you can, use bug bomb in the loft before you start. You want to keep as many pests out as you can.

Good luck
I bought the cheap PH/EC pens. Your totally right, 'buy cheap buy twice'
I have an EC truncheon, now saving up for the blue lab ph pen. The one I have atm I calibrate weekly.

Gdawwwg

Gdawwwg

Ok

I bought Cannazyme it dissolves any root rot. But I'm in coco. I'm not 💯 sure but I thought it didnt kill the bennies as it's an enzyme. I add a bit weekly after the nutes. Hope that's right 🤣
Doesn't sound too bad. Not sure if it would cure the rot but sounds like it keeps on top of it and doesn't allow dead roots to build up.

Iv seen some, plantacillin(not sure if suitable for dwc) botanicare liquid karma,regenaroot.

Just not sure with so many options. Ideally something that will run with beneficial as I'm. Not in sterile...

I just don't wanna buy all different stuff and it don't work lol.

Clyde4210

Clyde4210

. Mars hydro 1.2x1.2x2m
. Iws oxypot single x4
. 8 outlet air pump
. Digital thermometer
. Ph tester
. Ph up and down
. Scrog net

The plan 🙏🏽
. Keep water temps down
. Ph 5.5-6.5

Do not go cheap on meters. Budget friendly I think is APERA INSTRUMENTS AI209 Value Series PH20 Waterproof pH Tester Kit, ±0.1 pH Accuracy or go with Blue Lab.

Gdawwwg

Gdawwwg

Do not go cheap on meters. Budget friendly I think is APERA INSTRUMENTS AI209 Value Series PH20 Waterproof pH Tester Kit, ±0.1 pH Accuracy or go with Blue Lab.
Made that mistake already. Fucked them. Off altogether now and just use a test kit. It's longer but I find it reliable and don't have to worry about replacing or calibrating so I just find it easier

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Do you have enough air-rock in your res? If there is not enough O2 in there, you will get root rot.

Clyde4210

Clyde4210

Made that mistake already. Fucked them. Off altogether now and just use a test kit. It's longer but I find it reliable and don't have to worry about replacing or calibrating so I just find it easier
I'm using a test kit now that's not accurate but it's close enough. Been doing that almost 2 weeks now. I haven't had any issues and why not if it works for you. I think it's the most accurate way of testing but it's quicker and easier with a meter.

Clyde4210

Clyde4210

Sorry I didn't mean to post that in this thread, I'll delete it. If I figure out how, I reported it. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I'm on first grow too.

Gdawwwg

Gdawwwg

Sorry I didn't mean to post that in this thread, I'll delete it. If I figure out how, I reported it. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I'm on first grow too.
It's kool man don't worry this is my 3rd time trying now all failed. This has gone down hill thinking of trying soil because iv been doing dwc for like 6-8weeks and all failures

IMG 20220116 214427
IMG 20220116 214435
IMG 20220116 214443
Top Bottom