First Grow Ever

• Thread starter bmvortex81
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

...you're welcome man and maybe try not to overthink things so much, i think you have a wide latitude with the temps during cure so mostly you want to watch the humidity, once you get below 52% or so they will stop curing and just continue drying, ...and re-hydrating them won't help, once you go below that threshold curing ceases even if you re-hydrate so watch your levels and only burp them every 48 hours or so from now on, ...hell, maybe even just once a week now until you get to the mid 50's.

...and if you go to any local hardware store or Walmart you should be able to find some Ball jars with the 2 piece lids, get the wide mouthed jars and a box of 12 quart jars runs about 10 or 12 bucks or thereabouts so get yourself a rack and then just cure your harvest's under your bed, i don't expect your children spend much time rooting around under your bed, lol.

peace, bozo

bmvortex81

bmvortex81

yeah there not in the room much, i do belive i am overthinking because this is my first grow. once i get this one under my belt hopefully it'll go a lil smoother from here on out. how do i tell when the cure is done? once the RH drops to around that 52%?

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

...here man, here is the first posting in a thread on another forum i'd rather not send you to that covers the topic much more thoroughly than i have, actually it was this thread and a few others where i learned to cure my bud and that was some years ago and at my age memory isn't as reliable as it once was, lol.

anyway, here is that info.

peace, bozo

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This method is particularly effective for folks who are starting out, those looking to maximize quality in a shorter period of time, and folks who's like to produce a connoisseur-quality product each and every time with no guesswork involved.

It's a very simple and effective process:

Cut the product, trim it per your preference, but don't dry it until the stems snap. Take it down while the stems still have some flex, but the product feel dry on the outside. This is a perfect opportunity to drop the dry-feeling flowers onto a screen and collect prime-quality kief that would otherwise get lost in the jar.

Jar the product, along with a Caliber III hygrometer. One can be had on Ebay for ~$20. Having tested a number of hygrometers - digital and analog - this model in particular produced consistent, accurate results. Then, watch the readings:

+70% RH - too wet, needs to sit outside the jar to dry for 12-24 hours, depending.

65-70% RH - the product is almost in the cure zone, if you will. It can be slowly brought to optimum RH by opening the lid for 2-4 hours.

60-65% RH - the stems snap, the product feels a bit sticky, and it is curing.

55-60% RH - at this point it can be stored for an extended period (3 months or more) without worrying about mold. The product will continue to cure.

Below 55% RH - the RH is too low for the curing process to take place. The product starts to feel brittle. Once you've hit this point, nothing will make it better. Adding moisture won't restart the curing process; it will just make the product wet. If you measure a RH below 55% don't panic. Read below:

Obviously, the product need time to sweat in the jar. As such, accurate readings won't be seen for ~24 hours, assuming the flowers are in the optimal cure zone. If you're curing the product for long-term storage, give the flowers 4-5 days for an accurate reading. If the product is sill very wet, a +70% RH reading will show within hours. If you see the RH rising ~1% per hour, keep a close eye on the product, as it's likely too moist.

Some well-worded and executed How-to using this technique from later in the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMtnGrwr
Here's how I did it, doing my first dry/cure after reading this thread.

I cut the plants, and trimmed them. All of the drying was done in 45-55% RH and 70-75f. I hung them up in the cabinet I grew them in, lights off, with the ventilation still going. I had some inner air circulation fans during the grow but I turned them off for the dry. They were hanging up for 3-4 days and the outsides of the buds were feeling dried out, but the stems weren't quite snapping yet.

This is when I stripped the buds off the main stem and put them into jars. The humidity eventually rose to 65-72% so I took the tops off and let them sit. They quickly lowered to the ambient RH, around 55% () I then put the lids back on, and I've been doing this for a couple days now, and they're slowly stabilizing, and I'm extremely confident this will be a great cure. Once they're stable I'll be uploading a screenshot of a spreadsheet I've been tracking the humidity in the jars with, hopefully someone will find it useful/informative.
Another example from Chits:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chits
Just finished reading all the way through. Took a couple weeks. Presently trying this method and results good very good (so far).

Thank you Simon and so many others that made some really good suggestions to go along with it.
thank%20you.gif

Maybe this will help someone, so I'll add my $0.02

Started drying about a week ago. Finally had it down to 68% (not stabil though) in the jars, but was not comfortable with it at that point. Looking for around 62%.
Presently we are into a week+ of damp / rainy weather. Ambient air is high 80 to mid-upper 90% RH. a little high for here, but not unusual.
How to get the jar below ambient was a issue for me. So I came up with a test.
1 gal. glass jar
1 lb. white rice
1 qt. jar of bud
2 paper lunch bags.

In the oven at 250 degrees for 45 min. to a hour with the paper lunch bags and rice. Idea is to dry it out as completely as possible.

Once out of the oven, Place bags and rice in gal. jar (loosely capped) to cool.

Okay, now fairly quickly remove contents from jar. Open 1 bag and add rice. Stand it up in the gal. jar. In other bag pour in the buds and install into bag of rice. Slip a hygrometer between outside bag & glass so you can see it's reading, and seal it all up. May take a bit of persistance to get it right where you want it. But go slow.
While aiming for 62%, when the hygrometer rises to 60% I'll put the bud back into it's cure jar and let stabilize. Repeat if needed. The meter will start out really low (being dry) and will rise as it draws moisture out of the bud. Suggest you try and stay right on top of it because it seems to work faster than I expected.
Starting with 72%, made this routine 2Xs and I'm almost perfectly stable at 63%. I may go 1 more time,, but I'll let it sit a day or so before determining that.
This was a spur of the moment idea. Seemed to work for a smaller grow anyways and I'm sure something could be changed or modified to be even better (easier/faster?). This was really flying-by-the-seat-of-the-pants as they say. (ie; not very scientific)
Anyways, living in the mold capital of the universe, I had to do something and relatively quickly. Seems to be working fine.

Hope it helps someone else.
wave.gif

HTH,
Simon

bmvortex81

bmvortex81

ok all good imma thinking its been in jar bout a week and half now and RH is staying right at 62% but it seems to b gettin like crispy dry is it ok to stay in the jar for a while?

bmvortex81

bmvortex81

all right farmer first grow under my belt, and for startin out in hydro with 9 plants and 4 weeks in switched to dirt because i killed 7 of the 9 plants got a lil under half oz from my 2 cabinet plants, so my result i successfully grew some plants WOOHOO lol im proud of my lil harvest so this grow im uppin the ante a lil bit, started 9 in my hydro again been rocking that for bout a month now and doin great so far (bag seed) but its the same stuff i harvested last time and its nice and smooth and fairly potent :D also have 7 bag seed started in solo cups, been planting in intevals of 2 weeks, then also i got brave and bought some White Widow from nirvana and got some of them started. will get some pics up later tonight of what i got goin for everyone and will keep you all up to date. thank you to ALL forpast and future help i may need!!!!

bmvortex81

bmvortex81

heres mypics thusfar and the one in the clear plastic bowl is baffoling me just plain ol water that i had germed my seeds in and this one i left in tere just keeps growing and growing, no light no air in the water no nothing and its growing i dont get it lol but here they are :D

DSCN1774
DSCN1775
DSCN1776
DSCN1777
DSCN1778
DSCN1779
DSCN1780
DSCN1781
DSCN1782
bmvortex81

bmvortex81

heres my update everything goin well, had a little prob with the leaves gettin a bit crispy on me when i transfered them to my tent but doin well :D

140412 001
140412 002
140412 003
140412 004
140412 005
140412 006
140412 007
140412 008
bmvortex81

bmvortex81

heres my hydro mix on both the soil plants and hydro plants they r bagseed so im waiting in anticipation to sex them. i have 1 female White Widow goin and am germinating another WW roughly 2 weeks from the last WW so i got em spaced. most of my seeds are seperated by 2 weeks in groups of no more then 3 so i should end up gettin a nice spread between them :D Anywho enough rambaling lol heres my hydro babies enjoy

140413 002
bmvortex81

bmvortex81

ok so having a few issues with taking cuttings and keeping them going, been reading and searching and it seems i read the same thing over and over. yet my girls keep dieing on me, the last 2 cutting i took i dipped them in rooting hormone then put them in like a 6 pack lil planter with a dome on it to keep humidity in. well they were in there for like a week and a half, and they were taking off growing really good and need to b moved to something bigger so i took off the dome and transplanted in like a lil quart pot (a lil bigger then a red solo cup) and when i did that i used just straight phed water because i didnt wanna feed em and kill em, but they just died on me in like 3 or 4 days. i have no idea why, can i please get some input back on maybe were i went wrong, im getting ready top top my female white widow and i dont wanna kill her cause i know she is a female cause i bought the beans femminized please help thank you in advance i will get some pics up a lil bit later of my second run, plants are looking good. OH and boy did i learn sumthing on this run, i thought i was gonna b smart and mix up my soil half and half with chicken in a 5 gal bucket (the final transplant for the rst of her life) and holy shit i damn near killed them, apparently the nitrogen was WAYYYYYYY up there or sumthing. i havnt checked the runoff ph, i gotta figure out a way to catch my runoff out of a 5 gal bucket any ideas? thx again muchly!!

bmvortex81

bmvortex81

here is the majority of my plants there is 6 more i have that i cant get pics at the moment and out of them 6 are 2 femminized white widows and 4 of a mixed pack of freebies i had goten with my nirvana order :D will get pics of themin a bit
DSC00985 DSC00987 <----- these are my first attempt at main lineing and i think there are doing good, got a lil bit of brown coloring in them but a lil isnt horribile right? lol i tried to kill my my plants in hydro by over feeding them, but i dumped the tank and threw plain PHed water in hopes they will come back for me, this is my 2nd attempt at hydro, my first failure up above^^^^^ started 9 in the hydro and after 1st res change i killed em all but 2.... ive had this hydro going since march 1st, have changed the res twice thus far and the 3rd time i changed res is when i started killing them. ive heard alot of ppl say hydro is easy but ffs it is not lol unless its just me. i have 3 4ft shop lights in there 2 of them have one 6500k bulb and a 2700k bulb and my 3r light is straight 6500k.i cant believe how much the plants can change by too much nutes or not enough!!! please i will take any advice and constructive critisizm welcomed!!!

DSC00982
DSC00983
DSC00984
DSC00988
DSC00991
DSC00992
DSC00993
Dunge

Dunge

they were in there for like a week and a half, and they were taking off growing really good
Did you see roots?
People brag about how quickly they get roots.
In my world I expect to be tending them for 2-3 weeks until I see roots sticking out of a rapid rooter plug.
Did you perhaps transplant too quickly?

bmvortex81

bmvortex81

well if you say that u tend to them 2-3 weeks then yeah i prolly transplanted to early i would say they were in like a week and i didnt see any roots. i was wondering if it was because they came from inside a dome to being open in a solo cup them being in

burn4me

burn4me

im no expert but if your soil mix is that hot then you should address that issue kinda fast. but idk for sure hopefully some soil people will chime in to help. but i did just go through a fit because i too am new to cloning. i thought i killed em but listened to some simple advice. im want to try and relay that info if it helps. cut the cuts, trim bottom up, hormone compound of your choice, into mix/rapid rooter or what ever you choose, pack it down slightly to get air pockets away from stem area, mist twice daily and i didnt mess with them for 11 days and they all have roots:D im pleased with how it went. and if i wasnt so medicated id remember who these farmers were:bag: i hope you get it sorted out though. good luck and keep it green B4M

bmvortex81

bmvortex81

well the only part of mix thats hot im flushing the 2 5 gal buckets with a gal of fresh water daily and there responding well as far as cuttinngs go im trying another round and trying a few ways and c what i get, i moved my plants to the tent so my cabinet is dedicated to the cuttings and thats it also keeping an eagle eye on them bitches haha will keep updated with pics from the tent they r exploding now im excited and having a blast doing it!!!! next up getting a carbon scrubber and building a stand for my fan, i swiped it from my woood stove lol its 265 cfm so im on the huunt for around a 270 or 280 cfm scrubber or is it i have to get a smaller cfm scrubber? crap i had it looked up dagnammit back to seachin i go hi ho hi ho will keep pics updated hopefully some of ya r interested lol if not then da hell wit ya im having fun ;D

bmvortex81

bmvortex81

update on the 2 5 gal buckets i mix half and half with chicken shit (WARNING DO NOT DO) LMAO but been flushing with straight water and theey are coming back nicley only a lil brown leafs on the one left, and the other is greening right up for me. note on the hydro i did a res change and apparently had way to much in for nute and the next day i look at em they were dying on me, so i changed the res and put in straight phed water and im glad to say they are coming back nicley also. so overall everything lookin good :D

bmvortex81

bmvortex81

well finally got veg tent up and all tapd up good enough for me lmao checp ass ebay tents only reason i got 2 cause i bitched at the sender about first one ripping and they sent me a second for free so cant bitch to bad i guess got a veg tent with a lil macgayver gorilla tape work im golden lmao oh and i had to post up i got my ass kicked by that little ass fan in my pics well let me tell ya 110cfm may seem like not alot but it sliced my finger wide open bad enough were a lil ass bandaid didnt do shit so next best thing electric tape :D next up building a homemade carbon scrubber bwahaha

DSCN2254
DSCN2245
DSCN2247
bmvortex81

bmvortex81

naw im all good unless one i try to touch a fan :nailbiting: or or B i get any kind of knife weather it be a jack knife, a utility knife or even a kitchen knife, ( i have many many cuts from knives on my left hand biggest a 13 cm slice in the fatty part of my thumb that one was a nasty one done by a freshly sharpened jack knife and a hotwheels car note to slef do NOT try to pry the fender off the wheel with a freshly sharpened jack knife, note the fender was bent because my dog used it as a chew toy) so overall no more knives for me lmao instead i use power tools rofl:D

Top Bottom