First grow! How's my Royal Dwarf auto doing?

• Thread starter Cd993
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Cd993

Hey guys, been enjoying my first grow and having lots of fun enjoying seeing my first baby grow up so quick!

This is a Royal Dwarf auto.

I had pruned some fan leaves, leaving some on so hopefully I haven't taken too many off. I only did this a week or so ago and she seems to doing well still.

I had removed a few underdeveloped bud sites towards the bottom, to help her focus and send more energy to the other good ones. Do you think I should remove any more from near the bottom or shall I just leave as is? I've been using BioBizz fertiliser Try Pack, with Bio Grow, Top Max and Biobloom. I'll flush soon I guess, waiting out for the pistals to go brown and I've ordered a jewellers magnifying glass to inspect trichs.

Can't wait to chop, will hang her in my grow tent and dry for 10-14 days (waiting for stems to be 'snap dry'), cut the buds off and then cure in a glass mason jar with a mini temperature/humidity device inside, burping each day for 2-4 weeks.

Any other tips to make this grow the best success it could be?

First grow hows my royal dwarf auto doing
First grow hows my royal dwarf auto doing 2
First grow hows my royal dwarf auto doing 3
Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Imo you took to much of it sry to say tbh you didn’t need to take anything off it wasn’t bushy and would be getting plenty air flow.
Imo it’s not your fault I think folks need to reevaluate the reason behind defoliation and only do it when it’s Necessary and would be beneficial instead of saying defoliate everything. It’s not helping new growers. I might get flack from the must defoliation crew however I honestly think it’s got out of hand because of bad information. There are reasons why you would defoliate however there are also very good reasons not to.

Cleaning up the bottom or lollipoping is fine.

The plants stretched quite a bit it looks like it would benefit from more light.

Btw don’t even if you ignore everything else don’t take anything off while the plants stretching ( roughly during the first two weeks ) wait until the third week if you plan to take any more off

All the best bud 😋

C

Cd993

Imo you took to much of it sry to say tbh you didn’t need to take anything off it wasn’t bushy and would be getting plenty air flow.
Imo it’s not your fault I think folks need to reevaluate the reason behind defoliation and only do it when it’s Necessary and would be beneficial instead of saying defoliate everything. It’s not helping new growers. I might get flack from the must defoliation crew however I honestly think it’s got out of hand because of bad information. There are reasons why you would defoliate however there are also very good reasons not to.

Cleaning up the bottom or lollipoping is fine.

The plants stretched quite a bit it looks like it would benefit from more light.

Btw don’t even if you ignore everything else don’t take anything off while the plants stretching ( roughly during the first two weeks ) wait until the third week if you plan to take any more off

All the best bud 😋
Thanks mate, I appreciate the response!
'Fortunately' I didn't remove until a couple weeks ago, so that'd be around the 5 week mark (she's 7 weeks old today). The buds all seem to doing nice and yeah some of the lower bud sites were looking rather underdeveloped, which I hear means it's beneficial to remove.

I'll certainly reconsider such practice on my next grow. Hoping to get a decent yield still for this one!

Based off my pics, is there anything further I could do or is she looking good to you? I'm gonna give her 3 more days of feed and after that I'll flush water each day until harvest. Wondering if by chopping off any lower buds will that ultimately lead to more bud overall by the upper ones.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Tbh bud the main thing that will boost the yield would be more light. Yes taking the lower buds of can help however you’ve a very limited window with autos I don’t think taking anything of will boost your end yield at this point. Photo periods are way more forgiving and allow you to train more and unless you’ve everything dialed it to perfection will yield more autos you get one chance if you kwim make a single mistake and the yield suffers. For your first grow and a auto at that you haven’t done badly 👍😋

C

Cd993

Tbh bud the main thing that will boost the yield would be more light. Yes taking the lower buds of can help however you’ve a very limited window with autos I don’t think taking anything of will boost your end yield at this point. Photo periods are way more forgiving and allow you to train more and unless you’ve everything dialed it to perfection will yield more autos you get one chance if you kwim make a single mistake and the yield suffers. For your first grow and a auto at that you haven’t done badly 👍😋
Great sutff, all good fun and yeah I'm happy with my first grow!

As for more light, see the attached pic of my setup. My light is this one.

I'm mindful the air filter is large and due to the size of my tent I had to have it vertical, to the side of the lights though may affect some reflection. Overall I'm happy with it. I could mayyybe adjust to have above the setup but that made the tent bulge out as its only 40x40cm.

PXL 20230612 140522240MP
Last edited:
E

Edinburg

Looks good, to keep it from stretching so much you can lower your light a bit, but nice job.

C

Cd993

Looks good, to keep it from stretching so much you can lower your light a bit, but nice job.
Thanks, it's been a really enjoyable process, it's currently about 15cm away from the light and isn't growing taller I don't think. (I've posted a pic of my setup but that is currently invisible here due to being 'moderated').

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Whenever you're ready to harvest......wait another week or more. ;) . I'm totally with everyone on the not defoliating. Unless certain leaves are truly more in the way than productive, or old, very low........leaves are the places where the energy is made to grow more flowers.

Royal Dwarf Auto?? Is that the name of the variety? Seems contradictory.......

I can picture the party......

"Hey everyone, I grew a new variety for us!"

"Yaaaay!!! What's it called!?"

"Royal..."

"Oooooh!!!!"

"Dwarf...."

"..........whaaa?"

"Auto!"

"...........Booooooo!!!!!"

I'm just kidding with ya. ;)

Pilted

Pilted

Looks good, does look defoliated fairly heavy, I am not for or against heavy or light defoliation, I am still in the process of doing both so I can see it for myself. Maybe next one do very little defoliation and see which one you like more. For the first grow you are killing it, great job, I do agree with the light being closer to help with stretch, and light management is one of the biggest things that needs to be done properly during flower. Maybe read up a little more on light distance and get that tuned in a little better. But you are not far off and doing very well.

C

Cd993

Whenever you're ready to harvest......wait another week or more. ;) . I'm totally with everyone on the not defoliating. Unless certain leaves are truly more in the way than productive, or old, very low........leaves are the places where the energy is made to grow more flowers.

Royal Dwarf Auto?? Is that the name of the variety? Seems contradictory.......

I can picture the party......

"Hey everyone, I grew a new variety for us!"

"Yaaaay!!! What's it called!?"

"Royal..."

"Oooooh!!!!"

"Dwarf...."

"..........whaaa?"

"Auto!"

"...........Booooooo!!!!!"

I'm just kidding with ya. ;)
Hahaha if I get the yield in hoping for, it should be a great party!

It's still actually a bigger plant than what I thought it may be, but tiny I guess in comparison to it's fellow plants! 😂

I had chopped a fair few off but no toooo many I hope. Left a few fan leaves on but I'll not be so harsh next time....

C

Cd993

Looks good, does look defoliated fairly heavy, I am not for or against heavy or light defoliation, I am still in the process of doing both so I can see it for myself. Maybe next one do very little defoliation and see which one you like more. For the first grow you are killing it, great job, I do agree with the light being closer to help with stretch, and light management is one of the biggest things that needs to be done properly during flower. Maybe read up a little more on light distance and get that tuned in a little better. But you are not far off and doing very well.
Ah mate thanks for the feedback! I really am enjoying it. Checking it daily, taking care of it etc. Even making a couple of grow boxes and then ultimately investing in the proper grow tent. Wish I got a slightly wider one, but this is doing great for my stealth grow. The charcoal filter is excellent at its job and it wasn't even an expensive one!

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
Hi, I would never cut fan leaves off an auto and even less when its your first grow.

The more leaves you have, the better chance on getting a decent size auto with decent production.

Like said above, only yellow and dying leaves from the bottom when they are about to drop off anyway.

Plant is looking good, really well done for a first grow !

C

Cd993

Hi, I would never cut fan leaves off an auto and even less when its your first grow.

The more leaves you have, the better chance on getting a decent size auto with decent production.

Like said above, only yellow and dying leaves from the bottom when they are about to drop off anyway.

Plant is looking good, really well done for a first grow !
Haha yeah I was fearful she'd mind having such a drastic 'haircut' but these buds seem to be forming nicely! The lowest leaves are becoming lighter green, so perhaps they're on their way out soon.

She's 7 weeks old today and so after 3 more days (that's how much prepped food I have ready) I'll just do flushes each day, so that'll mean she'll have a week or two of flushing out the residual soil nutrients. Harvest time is usually 8-9 weeks apparent for this strain so soon be time! Definitely not gonna rush anything as don't want all this time to be wasted and definitely don't wish to lose potency!

Pilted

Pilted

Haha yeah I was fearful she'd mind having such a drastic 'haircut' but these buds seem to be forming nicely! The lowest leaves are becoming lighter green, so perhaps they're on their way out soon.

She's 7 weeks old today and so after 3 more days (that's how much prepped food I have ready) I'll just do flushes each day, so that'll mean she'll have a week or two of flushing out the residual soil nutrients. Harvest time is usually 8-9 weeks apparent for this strain so soon be time! Definitely not gonna rush anything as don't want all this time to be wasted and definitely don't wish to lose potency!
Don't rely on the time line of the strain, make sure you know how to tell if the bud is rip. The timeline they give are usually never right. If you harvest before it's rip you will lose a lot of potency.

Pilted

Pilted

Don't rely on the time line of the strain, make sure you know how to tell if the bud is rip. The timeline they give are usually never right. If you harvest before it's rip you will lose a lot of potency.
Ripe*

C

Cd993

Sound advice!

I'm fairly confident I'll know prime time to harvest. I'll wait until around 70% of pistils have turned brown (or other colours) and that the trichromes around around 50-70% cloudy, and before most are amber. My jewelers loupe is arriving soon so I'll have a good look at them each day when watering and monitor. Probably a week or two away, but indeed I'm in no rush 😎

I want the best from my first born haha

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Hahaha if I get the yield in hoping for, it should be a great party!

It's still actually a bigger plant than what I thought it may be, but tiny I guess in comparison to it's fellow plants! 😂

I had chopped a fair few off but no toooo many I hope. Left a few fan leaves on but I'll not be so harsh next time....
What's Royal about it? Does it have a flavor profile? Or is it just snooty? ;). Ok now I have to look it up......

C

Cd993

What's Royal about it? Does it have a flavor profile? Or is it just snooty? ;). Ok now I have to look it up......
I've yet to try this strain, though my research reveals it's a nice uplifting hit, with pain relief elements too (a factor for me), a relatively quick grower aswell as being the smallest growing plant I could find for my stealth setup.

My experience is a pleasure so far!

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter

I think you need 3 or probably 4 more weeks.
That second picture clearly shows she still has a long way to go.

Most autos take about 10-12 weeks to finish, indeed as commented above many seedbanks seem to exagerrate a bit about how quick their autos are.

C

Cd993

I think you need 3 or probably 4 more weeks.
That second picture clearly shows she still has a long way to go.

Most autos take about 10-12 weeks to finish, indeed as commented above many seedbanks seem to exagerrate a bit about how quick their autos are.
This is a useful observation, I appreciate you taking the it time to mention. I'll be sure not to rush harvest, I really don't mind waiting and will perhaps even touch base with you guys here to show how it's doing.

Thanks again all! A very friendly and welcoming community here 😎

Top Bottom