First grow! How's my Royal Dwarf auto doing?

• Thread starter Cd993
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Sound advice!

I'm fairly confident I'll know prime time to harvest. I'll wait until around 70% of pistils have turned brown (or other colours) and that the trichromes around around 50-70% cloudy, and before most are amber. My jewelers loupe is arriving soon so I'll have a good look at them each day when watering and monitor. Probably a week or two away, but indeed I'm in no rush 😎

I want the best from my first born haha
Those parameters are usually on the very early side.......they could be done.....and ultimately it comes down to your taste. On the early side you'll usually get a brighter, yes a bit "greener" product, usually with more of the fruity, perfumy type smells.......which could be perfectly fine. If you wait for just about all of the pistils to turn (for most varieties), and the plant has stopped blooming, it's not pumping out any more new, lighter green calyxes, no more new hairs coming out.......that's pribably going to be the middle of "ripe". Go a little beyond that......start looking at a certain % of trichomes turning amber, the calyxes swelling and maybe darkening.....now you're getting quite ripe. This is when those deeper, funkier/skunky smells come through. The weed might be a little "stonier".

Early on, a bit more curing would be in order. These are all very broad terms/ranges, there are many variables, and ultimately you'll find your time ranges that you like best.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Haha yeah I was fearful she'd mind having such a drastic 'haircut' but these buds seem to be forming nicely! The lowest leaves are becoming lighter green, so perhaps they're on their way out soon.

She's 7 weeks old today and so after 3 more days (that's how much prepped food I have ready) I'll just do flushes each day, so that'll mean she'll have a week or two of flushing out the residual soil nutrients. Harvest time is usually 8-9 weeks apparent for this strain so soon be time! Definitely not gonna rush anything as don't want all this time to be wasted and definitely don't wish to lose potency!
Your in soil not coir ( coco ) as far as I can figure in soil when you stop feeding don’t “flush” add only water every day that’s far to often just water as normal that will be enough the plants aren’t banged up with that much nutes anyway if anything you’ve been light on the food.

2-0 to England back to the football ⚽🙂

C

Cd993

Those parameters are usually on the very early side.......they could be done.....and ultimately it comes down to your taste. On the early side you'll usually get a brighter, yes a bit "greener" product, usually with more of the fruity, perfumy type smells.......which could be perfectly fine. If you wait for just about all of the pistils to turn (for most varieties), and the plant has stopped blooming, it's not pumping out any more new, lighter green calyxes, no more new hairs coming out.......that's pribably going to be the middle of "ripe". Go a little beyond that......start looking at a certain % of trichomes turning amber, the calyxes swelling and maybe darkening.....now you're getting quite ripe. This is when those deeper, funkier/skunky smells come through. The weed might be a little "stonier".

Early on, a bit more curing would be in order. These are all very broad terms/ranges, there are many variables, and ultimately you'll find your time ranges that you like best.
That's really helpful advice, I'll take note of this!

I read about timing being crucial and especially about whether or not it will have that energising vs sedating hit. I'd prefer the former. Makes me recall when I made some oil once and I had it in my slow cooker for like 12 hours which apparently then makes the hit more likely to glue you to the couch than uplift. I appreciate the nature of this strain is far from a predominant sativa, though harvesting when it'll hit most energising would be my goal

C

Cd993

Your in soil not coir ( coco ) as far as I can figure in soil when you stop feeding don’t “flush” add only water every day that’s far to often just water as normal that will be enough the plants aren’t banged up with that much nutes anyway if anything you’ve been light on the food.

2-0 to England back to the football ⚽🙂
Ah this is a great tip, well noticed! I was gonna put it in my shower and run water through it, as I have stones at the bottom of the pot with holes in, to let excess drain out. But in light of this advice I'll perhaps just water it as usual without feeding.

As I'm making oil capsules from this taste isn't a huge factor for me. Though potency is. So I'm looking forward to the curing process which will further develop and mature it. Exciting times!

Go England 😎🎉

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
That's really helpful advice, I'll take note of this!

I read about timing being crucial and especially about whether or not it will have that energising vs sedating hit. I'd prefer the former. Makes me recall when I made some oil once and I had it in my slow cooker for like 12 hours which apparently then makes the hit more likely to glue you to the couch than uplift. I appreciate the nature of this strain is far from a predominant sativa, though harvesting when it'll hit most energising would be my goal
Yes, something about different firms of THC, CBD matters, other cannabinoids, terpenes......all of which is available for us to read and learn. Some things matter more than others. A pure sativa vs a pure indica will matter far more than how you try to use a magnifying glass to count the % of trichomes every hour........ripe is a range, pretty much get that range....(most people do pick a little too early, especially beginners), and the rest is what you like.

C

Cd993

Yes, something about different firms of THC, CBD matters, other cannabinoids, terpenes......all of which is available for us to read and learn. Some things matter more than others. A pure sativa vs a pure indica will matter far more than how you try to use a magnifying glass to count the % of trichomes every hour........ripe is a range, pretty much get that range....(most people do pick a little too early, especially beginners), and the rest is what you like.
I'm gonna resist harvesting early as I definitely don't wish to ruin all my hard work!

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Something cool to do if you want......every 2 or 3 days take another few pictures, post them here in your thread, and tell us what you see that's different, as it matures and ripens. I'll bet that each time you'll say "I'm glad I didn't pick it the last time.". Each time you'll see, smell.....new improvements. And it will shape your perception of when a plant is really ready, mature, and ripe.

C

Cd993

Something cool to do if you want......every 2 or 3 days take another few pictures, post them here in your thread, and tell us what you see that's different, as it matures and ripens. I'll bet that each time you'll say "I'm glad I didn't pick it the last time.". Each time you'll see, smell.....new improvements. And it will shape your perception of when a plant is really ready, mature, and ripe.
That's a great idea! I'll post back here on Thursday, or when I see some changes and see what you guys think.

My goal is to harvest at peak THC levels for that energetic hit, so will aim for when trichromes are mostly cloudy.

All your knowledge and tips I've learnt from even just in this first day has been so useful. Kudos to you all 😎

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Great sutff, all good fun and yeah I'm happy with my first grow!

As for more light, see the attached pic of my setup. My light is this one.

I'm mindful the air filter is large and due to the size of my tent I had to have it vertical, to the side of the lights though may affect some reflection. Overall I'm happy with it. I could mayyybe adjust to have above the setup but that made the tent bulge out as its only 40x40cm.

I like some of the light techs to look at that light it’s got some banana claims like “ Our full spectrum LED growth lamps can replace the traditional 600 watt HPS/MH “ no way not on this earth its as good as a 600w hps/mh I doubt it’s even as good as a 125w hps/mh I’ve ran hps and metal hailde lights and nah just nah how they can claim that I dunno. It’s probably only pushing out less than 100w. Witchever way I’d definitely say you need a stronger light if you want a better yeild all the best bud 🙂
Not bashing your light btw hope it doesn’t come across as such just saying that’s your limiting factor

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
She survived!!! That alone is a great first grow! Welcome friend ✌

C

Cd993

I like some of the light techs to look at that light it’s got some banana claims like “ Our full spectrum LED growth lamps can replace the traditional 600 watt HPS/MH “ no way not on this earth its as good as a 600w hps/mh I doubt it’s even as good as a 125w hps/mh I’ve ran hps and metal hailde lights and nah just nah how they can claim that I dunno. It’s probably only pushing out less than 100w. Witchever way I’d definitely say you need a stronger light if you want a better yeild all the best bud 🙂
Not bashing your light btw hope it doesn’t come across as such just saying that’s your limiting factor
No worries at all, I get you!
Yeah the lights may be questionable and I do think that it's probably just 100w equivalent. It suited my budget at the time and so far is doing my trick for just 1 small plant. I am curious of final yield though even a relatively small one is going to make me lotssss of 1ml capsules, which being my ultimate aim.

Very exciting!

LittleRoundTopFlowers

LittleRoundTopFlowers

This is a useful observation, I appreciate you taking the it time to mention. I'll be sure not to rush harvest, I really don't mind waiting and will perhaps even touch base with you guys here to show how it's doing.

Thanks again all! A very friendly and welcoming community here 😎
Agreed. But that being said, she looks really good!

Id also agree with what someone posted earlier that feminized or even regular seeds (if you're patient enough to sex em and separate, blah, blah) are WAY more forgiving. I still run autos sometimes, but I nearly always bump into some small problem.

So with that being said, I agree that you should be patient with the chop, but with autos also keep a close eye, cause they can herm if you leave them too long. But you got the jewelers loupe so just check em daily and you're gravy.

Happy Growing

C

Cd993

Agreed. But that being said, she looks really good!

Id also agree with what someone posted earlier that feminized or even regular seeds (if you're patient enough to sex em and separate, blah, blah) are WAY more forgiving. I still run autos sometimes, but I nearly always bump into some small problem.

So with that being said, I agree that you should be patient with the chop, but with autos also keep a close eye, cause they can herm if you leave them too long. But you got the jewelers loupe so just check em daily and you're gravy.

Happy Growing

Interesting to hear of the difference between autos & regulars...

Separately one thing I'm curious of is in if the upper buds look ready but the lower ones don't appear ripe by that point. I think I'm going to dry trim, so ideally I'd like to chop entire plant at the base and hang, though is it the case that some buds may be ready to harvest before others? Or once all are ready then only then do I chop?

C

Cd993

It look good especially for your 1st. Congrats!
Hopefully ready in a week or two. But I'm not gonna rush this...

Wonder if you could help me with my query about if top flowers are ripe and if lower ones aren't, does that happen? As I'd like to do dry trimming and dry whole plant at once hanging, if possible

GoldenDragondnw

GoldenDragondnw

Supporter
I'm a novice but I would wait to harvest I did mine too soon but it still smoked well but it could've gone another 2 weeks.

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
Interesting to hear of the difference between autos & regulars...

Separately one thing I'm curious of is in if the upper buds look ready but the lower ones don't appear ripe by that point. I think I'm going to dry trim, so ideally I'd like to chop entire plant at the base and hang, though is it the case that some buds may be ready to harvest before others? Or once all are ready then only then do I chop?

I usually harvest in a few stages, first the top, then middle and the lowest branches last, sometimes they need a week or two longer to finish.

Interesting to hear of the difference between autos & regulars..
Besides, its better to say the difference between autos and photoperiods, not autos and regulars (autos can also be regular), that way things are more clear...

Last edited:
Top Bottom