First grow! How's my Royal Dwarf auto doing?

• Thread starter Cd993
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Cd993

I always harvest in a few stages, first the top, then middle and the lowest branches last, sometimes they need a week or two longer to finish.

Besides, its better to say the difference between autos and photoperiods, not autos and regulars (autos can also be regular), that way things are more clear...

Thanks for the clarification of terminology, noted! 👍🏻

Hmm yeah as much as I'd like to do it all in one go I'll do it in stages of needed.

In this case, I'll have to rethink my drying setup. Was hoping to dry all at once in my tent, lights off, bottom side fans and upper filter fan on air flow and hang them in there. Though if cutting 'ready' branches off with buds on first, whilst the lower ones ripen up, I'll need to think of how best I can have those in my setup.... suggestions welcome whilst I put some extra thought into this.... 🤔

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
Thanks for the clarification of terminology, noted! 👍🏻

Hmm yeah as much as I'd like to do it all in one go I'll do it in stages of needed.

In this case, I'll have to rethink my drying setup. Was hoping to dry all at once in my tent, lights off, bottom side fans and upper filter fan on air flow and hang them in there. Though if cutting 'ready' branches off with buds on first, whilst the lower ones ripen up, I'll need to think of how best I can have those in my setup.... suggestions welcome whilst I put some extra thought into this.... 🤔
But i'm an outside grower, maybe for you it makes more sense to chop and dry the whole plant.

C

Cd993

But i'm an outside grower, maybe for you it makes more sense to chop and dry the whole plant.

Ah fair point! I'll monitor the upper & lower parts and chop accordingly. Was considering something like this, but figured why spend that much more money when I could just use my own tent already.... at least with that rack, I could have different shelves, but nagh I think I'll *try* do it all in one go, unless some look really ripe vs some really not ready, then I'll have to do some in stages...

C

Cd993

Curious to hear some thoughts on the following, from my research, unsure if the below is valid or not so will be keen from others' experienced perspective:

- Now that I'm getting close to harvest (albeit another week or two) is there advantage to pruning off all can leaves and leaving just flowers/sugar leaves on? I'll be making oil capsules ultimately, so will be keeping sugar leaves on for that extra bit of THC.

- Does time of day matter when harvesting? I read somewhere that harvesting in it's dark cycle, to ensure plant is cut from roots just before lights would be normally on to prevent sugars & starches coming back up the roots?

- Anyone believe in 'shocking' resin production by either keeping the plant in darkness for upto 3 days before harvest and/or giving it ice water to drink??

🤔

C

Cd993

PXL 20230626 082737407

Here we are a week on from when last posted, pistils looking nice and turning amber. Trichomes are becoming cloudy/milky, I reckon maybe harvest maybe in a few days, as I do want the more uplifting vs sedating, so I won't let her ripen too much

PXL 20230626 082801370
PXL 20230626 082831138
PXL 20230626 084013692
PXL 20230626 084429090
C

Cd993

PXL 20230630 090443275

Patience really is key...
Trichomes are now mainly all cloudy with probably like 5% amber, if even that. Buds have really thickened up over the last week. At this rate, which is slower than thought, I'd say another 3-5 days estimate until harvest. But I'll let the plant decide that, not me!

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Hopefully ready in a week or two. But I'm not gonna rush this...

Wonder if you could help me with my query about if top flowers are ripe and if lower ones aren't, does that happen? As I'd like to do dry trimming and dry whole plant at once hanging, if possible
If by a week or two you mean mid-August, then yeah....... ;)

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
View attachment 1999227
Here we are a week on from when last posted, pistils looking nice and turning amber. Trichomes are becoming cloudy/milky, I reckon maybe harvest maybe in a few days, as I do want the more uplifting vs sedating, so I won't let her ripen too much
A perfect example of "Don't go by leaf trichomes". This plant is still in peak/mid-bloom. It has quite some time before it's ready. That being said, it's blooming inna vety healthy way.

C

Cd993

A perfect example of "Don't go by leaf trichomes". This plant is still in peak/mid-bloom. It has quite some time before it's ready. That being said, it's blooming inna vety healthy way.
Yeah I can certainly see how people end up harvesting too early, as it looks ready in many ways. However, the fact that I can see see it changing shape, along with the trichomes inspection, shows its still developing...

So much fun for my first grow!

Smells delicious too haha

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
View attachment 2001176
Patience really is key...
Trichomes are now mainly all cloudy with probably like 5% amber, if even that. Buds have really thickened up over the last week. At this rate, which is slower than thought, I'd say another 3-5 days estimate until harvest. But I'll let the plant decide that, not me!
What happened to all the leaves.....? :(

Do you have some whole plant pics?

It's hard to fully assess the entire situation, but in this pucture it looks like it's still blooming, although maybe at the end of it. However, plants have a habit of blooming in stages, waves. .....just when you think you're looking at the end, a new wave of white hairs start popping through. It may be its final hurrah, but not necessarily. It may surprise you and have more rounds of bloom to go. That's why it isn't a good idea to try to "target date" your harvests. Even if it's a little open-ended, you end up imposing some date on the calendar that you wish you could adhere to.

It's also why it's not a good idea to defoliate down to the buds. Granted, I can't see the whole plant, but if the plant is going to bloom again and again.........and most will......where is it going to get the energy to do so?

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Yeah I can certainly see how people end up harvesting too early, as it looks ready in many ways. However, the fact that I can see see it changing shape, along with the trichomes inspection, shows its still developing...

So much fun for my first grow!

Smells delicious too haha
Forget about first grow.......you done good. ;)

You might want to take notes, along with pictures, so you can go back and review all of these changes. Yes, most new growers pick too early. And, they don't properly cure. The diffetence between an "8" and a "9" is waiting to pick. The difference between a "9" and a "10" is taking that and properly curing.

C

Cd993

What happened to all the leaves.....? :(

Do you have some whole plant pics?

It's hard to fully assess the entire situation, but in this pucture it looks like it's still blooming, although maybe at the end of it. However, plants have a habit of blooming in stages, waves. .....just when you think you're looking at the end, a new wave of white hairs start popping through. It may be its final hurrah, but not necessarily. It may surprise you and have more rounds of bloom to go. That's why it isn't a good idea to try to "target date" your harvests. Even if it's a little open-ended, you end up imposing some date on the calendar that you wish you could adhere to.

It's also why it's not a good idea to defoliate down to the buds. Granted, I can't see the whole plant, but if the plant is going to bloom again and again.........and most will......where is it going to get the energy to do so?
I'm mindful of the huge debate about defoliating the fan leaves, but I decided to trim them all..... She seems to be doing well still and after harvest I may very well start a second one and not chop her so much, to compare! But regardless she appears to be doing well, even with my relatively cheap LED lights, and on track for a good yield. Apparently this strain can get upto 30g and so I'll be curious what her dried weight will be!

Edit: added whole plant pic. She's definitely been butchered haha but so far, so good! From soil to tip = 54cm
PXL 20230630 090429731

C

Cd993

Forget about first grow.......you done good. ;)

You might want to take notes, along with pictures, so you can go back and review all of these changes. Yes, most new growers pick too early. And, they don't properly cure. The diffetence between an "8" and a "9" is waiting to pick. The difference between a "9" and a "10" is taking that and properly curing.
Yeah I'm thinking sometime soon I'll start the next grow, I've learnt alot from this first one and so thank you for the feedback!

I'm definitely not gonna harvest until she's ready and then dry & cure properly. I'm making sure I make this the best possible grow for my desired output 😎

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
Yeah I'm thinking sometime soon I'll start the next grow, I've learnt alot from this first one and so thank you for the feedback!

I'm definitely not gonna harvest until she's ready and then dry & cure properly. I'm making sure I make this the best possible grow for my desired output 😎
Good to hear, the more you learn the less dependent you are on dispos

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
I'm mindful of the huge debate about defoliating the fan leaves, but I decided to trim them all..... She seems to be doing well still and after harvest I may very well start a second one and not chop her so much, to compare! But regardless she appears to be doing well, even with my relatively cheap LED lights, and on track for a good yield. Apparently this strain can get upto 30g and so I'll be curious what her dried weight will be!

Edit: added whole plant pic. She's definitely been butchered haha but so far, so good! From soil to tip = 54cm
View attachment 2001248
Beautiful first plant good job

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
Thanks mate, appreciated!

I'll post another pic in a few days or so when I see some nice changes. Looking out for those trichomes to start transitioning to amber, but not gonna let many change, only the minority, as I'm not after the sedating effect...
Be careful because autos don't always amber out in my experience, I would look for mostly milky around the date your breeder gave you, personally. But maybe a more experienced auto grower would disagree. 🤷‍♂️ you will learn a lot through experience.

C

Cd993

Be careful because autos don't always amber out in my experience, I would look for mostly milky around the date your breeder gave you, personally. But maybe a more experienced auto grower would disagree. 🤷‍♂️ you will learn a lot through experience.
Ah that's useful to know and I'll bear it in mind.

Thr trichomes, both sugar leaves and flowers (if it even matters) both uppers and lowers, all look mainly cloudy now. Handful each of clear and amber and yeah 5% or less of these...

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
For your next grow, go with either King Midget or......President Tiny. ;)

Top Bottom