**First Grow** (PUDC, Sour Power) Pt.2- Spider Farmer SE5000 Journal

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Observationist

Observationist

growing in coco has been a bit different for me than soil.

when they get established and start to take off, demanding more, especially with smaller pots
Correct. Supposedly if the PPM or PH is too high in the tap water, the guy that developed it said mixing with half distilled water seems to help. My tap water is 8.4 or more according to those aquarium strips. And looked like PPM was 300 which were both the highest readings on the chart so who knows maybe higher than that. Mantis says it maintains a PH between 5.2 and 6.2
ok that’s cool, I’m not familiar with that product yet

Dothraki

Dothraki

growing in coco has been a bit different for me than soil.

when they get established and start to take off, demanding more, especially with smaller pots

ok that’s cool, I’m not familiar with that product yet
So, with the whole cal/mag thing...I was under the impression it wasn’t needed as much in the flowering stage and that you don’t want to give extra Nitrogen. I wonder if I got the wrong cal/mag for flower because it’s a 2-0-0. There was one that was 0-0-0...and something else I forget.

growsince79

growsince79

So, with the whole cal/mag thing...I was under the impression it wasn’t needed as much in the flowering stage and that you don’t want to give extra Nitrogen. I wonder if I got the wrong cal/mag for flower because it’s a 2-0-0. There was one that was 0-0-0...and something else I forget.
If they get enough early on, you might be able to stop mid flower. Your plant is starving and a little N probably won't hurt.

Dothraki

Dothraki

If they get enough early on, you might be able to stop mid flower. Your plant is starving and a little N probably won't hurt.
Oh crap lol...mid flower is like this week. So I’m going to try feeding more often, I’m not sure if that’s how it works...if there’s still moisture and they don’t really need to be watered will watering anyway give them more nutes or just change the volume of water?

Observationist

Observationist

Oh crap lol...mid flower is like this week. So I’m going to try feeding more often, I’m not sure if that’s how it works...if there’s still moisture and they don’t really need to be watered will watering anyway give them more nutes or just change the volume of water?
let it dry a little

But yea, you don’t want extra nitrogen, but it’s still needed a little, the ratio just shifts to more PK

Dothraki

Dothraki

let it dry a little

But yea, you don’t want extra nitrogen, but it’s still needed a little, the ratio just shifts to more PK
Ok thanks, I’ll have to grab a different cal/mag. Anything else to watch out for aside from nitrogen or are they all pretty much the same but some have more N?

Observationist

Observationist

Ok thanks, I’ll have to grab a different cal/mag. Anything else to watch out for aside from nitrogen or are they all pretty much the same but some have more N?
Morning, Dothraki

I’m not too familiar with calmag products since I use tap water and epsom salt, it’s apparently enough for me in veg, not sure if I’ll need more calcium for flower or not, probably

but the 1-0-0 or 2-0-0, I don’t think would be “too much extra nitrogen”

and for the love of god IPM is so Important even if you don’t have any pest, preventative measures.

I need to get something for pest, a little treatment here and there

Last edited:
Dothraki

Dothraki

Morning, Dothraki

I’m not too familiar with calmag products since I use tap water and epsom salt, it’s apparently enough for me in veg, not sure if I’ll need more calcium for flower or not, probably

but the 1-0-0 or 2-0-0, I don’t think would be “too much extra nitrogen”

and for the love of god IPM is so Important even if you don’t have any pest, preventative measures.

I need to get something for pest, a little treatment here and there
What’s IPM?

Dothraki

Dothraki

What’s IPM?
Wait nevermind...I googled it lol. Yeah I try to keep the tent as clean as possible without standing water, removing runoff, swapping trays etc. Maybe I should start pulling older leaves off that look funky...but then I think “if the plant is pulling nutrients from those leaves and I remove them would the plant pull it from the next leaves up”?

Observationist

Observationist

Wait nevermind...I googled it lol. Yeah I try to keep the tent as clean as possible without standing water, removing runoff, swapping trays etc. Maybe I should start pulling older leaves off that look funky...but then I think “if the plant is pulling nutrients from those leaves and I remove them would the plant pull it from the next leaves up”?
probably, but then just give it a little more nutes

usually pull leafs that dieing, sick, or are not photosynthesizing fully, theyll fall off either way naturally, but it justs a helping hand and speeds the process up.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
I would also suggest a weekly Foliar regime. I know your thinking behind it bc I was the same way and then suddenly I had a spider mite issue. After failing attempts at killing them off completely I torched all the mature clones and started over from seed of another strain. It’s super frustrating and they creep me the fuck out looking like little ticks.

So save yourself the trouble and give yourself some piece of mind with an IPM treatment. I use a product called pure crop 1. It’s all organic made of different essential oils with a surfactant to break surface tension on the leaves. It’s better to prevent than to try to exterminate an infestation. You won’t even know their there until it’s too late.

Dothraki

Dothraki

probably, but then just give it a little more nutes

usually pull leafs that dieing, sick, or are not photosynthesizing fully, theyll fall off either way naturally, but it justs a helping hand and speeds the process up.
I would also suggest a weekly Foliar regime. I know your thinking behind it bc I was the same way and then suddenly I had a spider mite issue. After failing attempts at killing them off completely I torched all the mature clones and started over from seed of another strain. It’s super frustrating and they creep me the fuck out looking like little ticks.

So save yourself the trouble and give yourself some piece of mind with an IPM treatment. I use a product called pure crop 1. It’s all organic made of different essential oils with a surfactant to break surface tension on the leaves. It’s better to prevent than to try to exterminate an infestation. You won’t even know their there until it’s too late.
What about just removing the bad or sick fan blades. So for instance some leaves are green but with 1 or 2 blades showing rust spots or crisping edges, while the other blades on the same leaf still look good. Some of the bad ones are also on the giant main fan leaves, water leaves I think is what people call them. I’m hesitant to pull those entire leaves off because they are huge with big thick stems.

Observationist

Observationist

What about just removing the bad or sick fan blades. So for instance some leaves are green but with 1 or 2 blades showing rust spots or crisping edges, while the other blades on the same leaf still look good. Some of the bad ones are also on the giant main fan leaves, water leaves I think is what people call them. I’m hesitant to pull those entire leaves off because they are huge with big thick stems.
eh up to you, maybe leave them for a little and see if they get worse, then pick a blade off, see if those blades do it, def a deficiency/lockout/ph issue then perhaps

Dothraki

Dothraki

eh up to you, maybe leave them for a little and see if they get worse, then pick a blade off, see if those blades do it, def a deficiency/lockout/ph issue then perhaps
So...I had planned on experimenting with stuff like this...but since I lost 2 plants to Hermie traits, one to being a straight up dude, kept one Hermie that might still end up with seeds, and have 1 plant I’m counting on making to harvest but isn’t the healthiest right now...there will be no experimenting lol. I think if this grow goes south and I harvest nothing, I will turn my entire basement into a grow room out of spite. At least then if there’s problems maybe 1 out of 20 plants will make it. Ya know, raising my odds haha.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

As a leaf matures and begins to die, mobile nutes are pulled from that leaf and moved through the plant where it needs it. I leave them on until they are close to falling off on their own and then I'll remove them.

As you go through the flowering stage, leaves will fade and eventually show fall colors before they finally fall off. Don't let this natural shedding process fool you into thinking your plant has problems just because of this. Your plants are leaving early flower and heading towards mid flower. Stretching has slowed, maybe even stopped and your buds are just beginning to stack. Fading now is most likely premature. Nitrogen needs do diminish, but the plant still uses it. Your plants looks like its in need of nitrogen. When I run into that, I'll use my grow nutes at around 1/4-1/3 strength along with my flower nutes. (You're only after a small boost of N right now.) You may have to continue with small boosts of N for a few weeks until you reach late flower.

Here's a chart that might help:

Nutrient needs by weeks

Dothraki

Dothraki

As a leaf matures and begins to die, mobile nutes are pulled from that leaf and moved through the plant where it needs it. I leave them on until they are close to falling off on their own and then I'll remove them.

As you go through the flowering stage, leaves will fade and eventually show fall colors before they finally fall off. Don't let this natural shedding process fool you into thinking your plant has problems just because of this. Your plants are leaving early flower and heading towards mid flower. Stretching has slowed, maybe even stopped and your buds are just beginning to stack. Fading now is most likely premature. Nitrogen needs do diminish, but the plant still uses it. Your plants looks like its in need of nitrogen. When I run into that, I'll use my grow nutes at around 1/4-1/3 strength along with my flower nutes. (You're only after a small boost of N right now.) You may have to continue with small boosts of N for a few weeks until you reach late flower.

Here's a chart that might help:

View attachment 1207905
Hell yes! This is great and very helpful info! I stopped with the distilled water mix and gave some cal/mag that has N last night and today. There is some singeing on the tips of bud leaves and sugar leaves though...not sure if thats from the light or my feeding with tap/distilled.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Hell yes! This is great and very helpful info! I stopped with the distilled water mix and gave some cal/mag that has N last night and today. There is some singeing on the tips of bud leaves and sugar leaves though...not sure if thats from the light or my feeding with tap/distilled.
If it's minor, don't be too concerned. Just back off a hair on nutes. You'll be fine.

Dothraki

Dothraki

If it's minor, don't be too concerned. Just back off a hair on nutes. You'll be fine.
I wish I could...unfortunately with Mantis I think it needs to be the same amount to get the PH right lol. But I will say this...the other plant has responded great with Mantis. So maybe the LG is just a little more finicky. Or just prefers a different environment.

There was/is some what appears to be cal and mag deficiency in all of them though.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I wish I could...unfortunately with Mantis I think it needs to be the same amount to get the PH right lol. But I will say this...the other plant has responded great with Mantis. So maybe the LG is just a little more finicky. Or just prefers a different environment.

There was/is some what appears to be cal and mag deficiency in all of them though.
It's kind of a trade-off using filtered water. If you're removing minerals to lower your ppm, you're trying to get to a baseline where essentially what you add to the water is what the plant gets. If you choose to continue using filtered water, you'll always need to add cal/mag ... or make sure there's an adequate source available in your grow medium. Coco has no nutes of its own. It's pretty much inert and non-reactive and that is the appeal to those who use it. Any nutes that come premixed in a bag of coco is put there by the manufacturer and will at some point need to be replaced. Use the chart I posted yesterday as a reference and compare it with Mantis to be sure its fully providing what your plants need. Stay on the look out for K issues. When you're fighting to stabilize cal/mag issues, sometimes the uptake of K is disrupted.

Dothraki

Dothraki

It's kind of a trade-off using filtered water. If you're removing minerals to lower your ppm, you're trying to get to a baseline where essentially what you add to the water is what the plant gets. If you choose to continue using filtered water, you'll always need to add cal/mag ... or make sure there's an adequate source available in your grow medium. Coco has no nutes of its own. It's pretty much inert and non-reactive and that is the appeal to those who use it. Any nutes that come premixed in a bag of coco is put there by the manufacturer and will at some point need to be replaced. Use the chart I posted yesterday as a reference and compare it with Mantis to be sure its fully providing what your plants need. Stay on the look out for K issues. When you're fighting to stabilize cal/mag issues, sometimes the uptake of K is disrupted.
Yeah I think I’m just going to stick with tap water for the rest of the grow...there’s pretty bad nutrient issues going on and even from the start it’s been having magnesium issues, some calcium too. So I talked to the guy that developed Mantis and he said try 50/50 tap/distilled, I did that and they instantly got worse the next day. I reverted back to just tap water and they are curling and tacoing and showing all sorts of deficiencies and nute burn and all sorts of crap. I don’t think I’m going to make it to harvest. I should have used a nutrient line that works with tap water, that more people are familiar with. I’ll do my best to keep them alive but it’s looking grim. Can’t even check the PH because the Mantis buffer doesn’t allow a proper PH test.

I am adding cal/mag to one plant. Maybe that’s causing more issues too...using a little more than half the recommendation.

Top Bottom