**First Grow** (PUDC, Sour Power) Pt.2- Spider Farmer SE5000 Journal

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Yeah I think I’m just going to stick with tap water for the rest of the grow...there’s pretty bad nutrient issues going on and even from the start it’s been having magnesium issues, some calcium too. So I talked to the guy that developed Mantis and he said try 50/50 tap/distilled, I did that and they instantly got worse the next day. I reverted back to just tap water and they are curling and tacoing and showing all sorts of deficiencies and nute burn and all sorts of crap. I don’t think I’m going to make it to harvest. I should have used a nutrient line that works with tap water, that more people are familiar with. I’ll do my best to keep them alive but it’s looking grim. Can’t even check the PH because the Mantis buffer doesn’t allow a proper PH test.

I am adding cal/mag to one plant. Maybe that’s causing more issues too...using a little more than half the recommendation.
Don’t get discouraged brotha keep on keepin on! I feel organic soil growing is one of the easiest ways to go but that’s my grow style it may not be yours. I don’t ph I just add water and top dress organic dry amendments. It’s hard to burn your plants and is just way more forgiving I feel.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Don’t get discouraged brotha keep on keepin on! I feel organic soil growing is one of the easiest ways to go but that’s my grow style it may not be yours. I don’t ph I just add water and top dress organic dry amendments. It’s hard to burn your plants and is just way more forgiving I feel.
Thanks man. I wanted to grow organic living soil but read that pests are more likely so did coco with this 1 part nute that apparently you can’t make adjustments with lol. So maybe next grow I’ll do something else...any suggestions for soil and dry amendments? I’ve heard good stuff about earth dust. But for now I’m just praying these 2 make it 4-5 more weeks without dying. I’ll throw some pics up tomorrow. Shoulda never messed with that distilled/tap mix.

S

sshortguy1

Thanks man. I wanted to grow organic living soil but read that pests are more likely so did coco with this 1 part nute that apparently you can’t make adjustments with lol. So maybe next grow I’ll do something else...any suggestions for soil and dry amendments? I’ve heard good stuff about earth dust. But for now I’m just praying these 2 make it 4-5 more weeks without dying. I’ll throw some pics up tomorrow. Shoulda never messed with that distilled/tap mix.the only advice

I can say trial & error in the 90s i used HIDs but used LEDs don't work too well slow growth on my end i took the LEDs out invested in a 600 watt HID kit which was very niice with the exhaust heat exchange out of the room, which was useful,. ever since they are popping up & doing niice REAL NIIIICE, LOVELY, like the 90s with the HIDs , they are not obsolete a lot of growers still use them ass I just found out I was misinformed on these forums of others saying they don't use them anymore we use LEDs now. they are more efficient & cut the costs down , how can a 20 % electric bill drop with a 40 % down growth on your plants using LEDs , which will take another 2 months under LEDs , I had plants ready to flower in the 90s in 8 - 10 weeks, 2 months they are no where near where they should be , I KNOW THIS BY EXPERIENCE HIDs are more of the spectrum where the HIDs providing where the L:EDs are lacking in the plant's growth pattern, that is what I have found in LEDs, using LEDs showed me it takes longer to grow than the HIDs I used the LEDs 3 months into it & they are not too well 2 of my 3 plants are trying to recover lack of light , maybe , but with HIDs you know what size & wattage you will need with LEDs it's as good as finding a needle in a haystack, listen, you pay $700.00 dollars for a grow light to grow twice as slow than HIDs, it's what I found better , maybe those who worked using HIDs will see this , a lot are still using HIDs b/c they said the same as ibeen saying , a lot longer growth period which results in longer growing time , think about the electricity 20 % deduction doesn't balance off the offset of electricity you are still using when the HIDs would of done it's job already will be harvesting instead of waiting 2 more weeks or more

S

sshortguy1

it is but it can be discouraging when you have those that think they're big growers. I can say being on here is like getting info from antartica where you won't get it, I ask a question on lights I got 5 different answers , stick to what you know what you do best & STICK WITH IT REGARDLESS OF ANYONE ELSE, i tried to listen to them but wasted a lot of money and aggravation, you get on here for pointers a pon dexter you will never find

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Thanks man. I wanted to grow organic living soil but read that pests are more likely so did coco with this 1 part nute that apparently you can’t make adjustments with lol. So maybe next grow I’ll do something else...any suggestions for soil and dry amendments? I’ve heard good stuff about earth dust. But for now I’m just praying these 2 make it 4-5 more weeks without dying. I’ll throw some pics up tomorrow. Shoulda never messed with that distilled/tap mix.
Roots organics terp tea line. The grow, bloom, and bloom boost. Top dress the beginning of flower and again with the bloom boost mid flower and maybe add a compost tea here and there but that’s it . If you need any other info let me know.

Krispy420

Krispy420

Roots organics terp tea line. The grow, bloom, and bloom boost. Top dress the beginning of flower and again with the bloom boost mid flower and maybe add a compost tea here and there but that’s it . If you need any other info let me know.
this^ that's gonna be my approach on the next one. I bought the bottled nutes in a pinch on my first outdoor grow and they got me thru but not without problems and it seemed they always wanted to burn my plants even at lower doses. I got some down to earth dry amendments and terp tea for the next run hopefully it will be a bit more of a lazy man's approach plus then I won't have to worry about the salt buildups also. For now I wouldn't over react though I think your plants are lookin great minus a few minor def. Maybe just stick to your original plan with a little extra cal mag? Wish I could help ya more but I don't know a damn thing about coco or the mantis. What I do know is even the most experienced growers get some deficiencies now and then so don't over-react and just stay vigilant with it 👍

Dothraki

Dothraki

Do you guys think I can make it another 4-5 weeks?

5BE20A7C 7635 4C75 9E11 3FD0E6AE5D44

292E386E 93FB 4035 84E4 552EEA4B00B9
54304E15 875B 4323 A1DC DA44972A95C0

growsince79

growsince79

Maybe if they get different food. That Mantis is a proven rip off; at 10x the price of regular nutes- the plant should be perfect.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I use Roots Organic terp tea line. I also use LUSH by roots organic. Roots Organic , in my opinion, makes some of the better nutrients and also sells them at a price comparative to the rest of the industry. None of the specialty grow nutrients are what I would call cheap, but some are a much better buy than others. The Roots Organic line is a solid choice if you want to pursue organic growing.

Another solid choice is Botanicare. They have both a salts line and an organic line. It's easy to use and won't break the bank.

I know others will argue this to some extent, but I believe it's "best practice" to stick with one product line. For example, if you go roots organic nutrients. Only use nutrients from Roots Organic. I've done that right down to the soil. However, with a good quality soil, you should be able use any nutrient line. Just stay with the same brand. Only switch if you're not happy with plant response. I've switched lines mid-grow before. There was some stress but the plants survived. Problems are not an end to your grow necessarily. Think of it as a puzzle that's been put in front of you to solve. With some trial and error, you'll figure it out. So far, you seem to be a very good student. Don't get discouraged. You can do this. Just take the lessons learned and apply it to future grows. If you do that, each one should be better than the last.

Side note: While I'm not fond of FFOF and prefer LUSH, neither has ever given me a pest issue. Pest issues will show up far more often in cheap big box retailer type of soil mixes. A good quality soil mix will give you pretty close to zero pest issues. There's always an exception, but so far in 3 yrs of pretty much continuous runs, zero pest issues in FFOF or LUSH. That's a pretty good track record in my eyes.

Observationist

Observationist

I use Roots Organic terp tea line. I also use LUSH by roots organic. Roots Organic , in my opinion, makes some of the better nutrients and also sells them at a price comparative to the rest of the industry. None of the specialty grow nutrients are what I would call cheap, but some are a much better buy than others. The Roots Organic line is a solid choice if you want to pursue organic growing.

Another solid choice is Botanicare. They have both a salts line and an organic line. It's easy to use and won't break the bank.

I know others will argue this to some extent, but I believe it's "best practice" to stick with one product line. For example, if you go roots organic nutrients. Only use nutrients from Roots Organic. I've done that right down to the soil. However, with a good quality soil, you should be able use any nutrient line. Just stay with the same brand. Only switch if you're not happy with plant response. I've switched lines mid-grow before. There was some stress but the plants survived. Problems are not an end to your grow necessarily. Think of it as a puzzle that's been put in front of you to solve. With some trial and error, you'll figure it out. So far, you seem to be a very good student. Don't get discouraged. You can do this. Just take the lessons learned and apply it to future grows. If you do that, each one should be better than the last.

Side note: While I'm not fond of FFOF and prefer LUSH, neither has ever given me a pest issue. Pest issues will show up far more often in cheap big box retailer type of soil mixes. A good quality soil mix will give you pretty close to zero pest issues. There's always an exception, but so far in 3 yrs of pretty much continuous runs, zero pest issues in FFOF or LUSH. That's a pretty good track record in my eyes.
I don’t grow organically

But this stuff, I swear by it, great nitrogen boost and mycos and bacteria

add it to my coco and perlite

used FFOF first grow

Dothraki

Dothraki

Do you guys think it’s possible my plant is overwatered and too intense light that could lead to these issues? My reading is around 800 PPFD at the tallest flower and I water when the pot is fairly light.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Do you guys think it’s possible my plant is overwatered and too intense light that could lead to these issues? My reading is around 800 PPFD at the tallest flower and I water when the pot is fairly light.
It's possible, but don't over-think it. Instead, but a moisture meter. They cost about $10 or less.

Observationist

Observationist

if its overwatered then you can increase temps and lower RH but increased temps can cause foxtail

wish i could help more

all i can think to say so far is PH/Nute issue but think everyone here is already thinking that

give it more light and itll use those nutes if its too much (is what id think)

back the light off and let it dry first.

just throwing shit out

growsince79

growsince79

800ppfd is good for a healthy plant. That plant looks starving, I'd dial back the light anytime they look like that. I don't do coco, they say its hard to over water.

growsince79

growsince79

Oh well there's your problem. If you're treating coco like soil(waiting for it to get light), you might want to study up on coco.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Oh well there's your problem. If you're treating coco like soil(waiting for it to get light), you might want to study up on coco.
I don’t wait until it’s completely light, just where it feels like it needs more water. In veg I was waiting for them to get too light and they were too dry.

Dothraki

Dothraki

800ppfd is good for a healthy plant. That plant looks starving, I'd dial back the light anytime they look like that. I don't do coco, they say its hard to over water.
I guess Mantis is better used when bottom fed with coco. Is there any downside to switching up watering methods mid flower? I don’t even know how to bottom feed so I’m going to go start reading about it.

growsince79

growsince79

I guess Mantis is better used when bottom fed with coco. Is there any downside to switching up watering methods mid flower? I don’t even know how to bottom feed so I’m going to go start reading about it.
Who said that? Same guy that tricked you in to buying it?

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
I don’t wait until it’s completely light, just where it feels like it needs more water. In veg I was waiting for them to get too light and they were too dry.
The majority of problems you have seen are resulting from improper watering practices. How many time do you need to be told about coco watering needs?

you should have started with fox farm or peat based. Coco not for rookies.

Dothraki

Dothraki

The majority of problems you have seen are resulting from improper watering practices. How many time do you need to be told about coco watering needs?

you should have started with fox farm or peat based. Coco not for rookies.
You don’t seem very confident. My watering practices in coco are exactly what they should be. Sorry to inform you that you don’t need to be a genius to pour water into coco. I would argue that coco is much easier than soil. You have more control ...unless you’re using Mantis, then you have no control apparently. So with that said, do you have any useful input to offer or just need to feel superior and bark at people?

Top Bottom