First Grow

• Thread starter Cannabizz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cannabizz

Cannabizz

Cannabizz beautiful and still spiked
Yours buds look like a matterhorn

Lmao that matterhorn had me LOL'ing when I looked up what a matterhorn was on google. Thanks!!! The bottom pic that is spiky, do you think that those are going to swell up and get denser? That's the only one that grew like that, it is a different strain after all (bagseed?) The tops of those are putting out new growths and hairs so I am wondering if it is going to fill out that middle lanky section or something I could of done differently? Thx!

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Lmao that matterhorn had me LOL'ing when I looked up what a matterhorn was on google. Thanks!!! The bottom pic that is spiky, do you think that those are going to swell up and get denser? That's the only one that grew like that, it is a different strain after all (bagseed?) The tops of those are putting out new growths and hairs so I am wondering if it is going to fill out that middle lanky section or something I could of done differently? Thx!
I had to go back and look again. I remember them being thinner but wow. Interesting. I would think they'll continue to fill out, most do. Doubtful it will look like the others but so what. Will be fun to watch for sure.

Cannabizz

Cannabizz

Little volcanoes was my thought. Very nice.

Thanks Plumber, what kind of snake is in your profile pic? I have a carpet python. I just measured her and she is 116" inches long. Need to get her a rat to eat this week, she's hungry. :D

Also, at what point should I start removing fan leaves in the grow. I've been removing those that have yellowed but does anyone defoliate as the flowering process begins? How much longer on the frosty ones. They have trichomes that are cloudy for the most part. Should I try harvesting one bud or plant when all trichomes are cloudy, milky. Another when they are all amber? And maybe a 50/50 between cloudy and amber?

Thks

Last edited:
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Thanks Plumber, what kind of snake is in your profile pic? I have a carpet python. I just measured her and she is 116" inches long. Need to get her a rat to eat this week, she's hungry. :D

Also, at what point should I start removing fan leaves in the grow. I've been removing those that have yellowed but does anyone defoliate as the flowering process begins? How much longer on the frosty ones. They have trichomes that are cloudy for the most part. Should I try harvesting one bud or plant when all trichomes are cloudy, milky. Another when they are all amber? And maybe a 50/50 between cloudy and milky?

Thks
Young adult King Snake. I seem to be attracting them this year.

I don't remove many leaves, just any that are shadowing flowers and then not many. The leaves are basically storage houses for the plants. During flowering they pull a lot of nutrients from them. The lower leaves start to yellow working up as they are used. It seem to work better then trying to feed them. Come chop day they all come off except some sugar leaves. Easier to clip them after some drying. But that's just me. Many others do it differently and I've seen bare plants. Try different things and see what works. That's half the fun of doing this.

GDub51

GDub51

I would attribute this to Urban Canna-Legend. The notion that stress helps potency comes from the 70s, and has evolved to the point that ANY stress is good for the plant, although I feel that plants grow best when left to themselves without undue stressing. I haven't noticed any difference in stressed plants, but maybe I just never noticed it. UV light stress has shown some promise, but for the most part, plants are like people and do better without constant stress.
Of course, this is only my opinion.
The only thing I found useful about training for outdoor has been topping and LSTing. I have traditionally put two plants in one planter, topped and LST'd them into a spiral, tying the lead stalk down as it chased itself around like a dog chasing its tail. SEE EXAMPLES The top picture shows the LST start in the one closest to the camera. The second shot is what those two plants turned out to be; a low COMPACT BUSH. But just staking and tying them has proven to yield the same while the staking did the wind protection. So I don't bother anymore. I only thin out interior branches now and let mother nature go to town. I've switched to 36" tall containers in a lighter color. The black gets too hot here in the desert sun and the roots seem to like growing down rather than out. It's only natural don't you know?! I've also gone all natural this year. No lights, no artificial nutes, just mycorrhizae tea, Fox Farm and the SoCal sun!

IMG 1875 1
IMG 1922
Cannabizz

Cannabizz

The only thing I found useful about training for outdoor has been topping and LSTing.

Those are awesome plants. I love the last pic, that one looks really strong, healthy and thick growth. I would love to use the sun but this state is still illegal so need to find a good guerrilla spot in the future.

Cannabizz

Cannabizz

The flowers seem to be getting denser this week. It's easy to see on the "V" plant the flowers climbing the stalk... But on the other plant, will the smaller popcorn buds reach the top? Or will they remain small isolated flowers and not cover the whole stalk? I think they are just going to stay popcorn flowers and not cover that stalk like the "V" plant.

IMG 2813
IMG 2812
IMG 2811
IMG 2810
IMG 2809
IMG 2808
IMG 2807
IMG 2806
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I held the microscope up to the phone lens and hoped for the best
I grabbed my kids old scope out of the garage yesterday. Doesn't work well so looked on Amazon and may have to order one. Great pics.

Cannabizz

Cannabizz

I grabbed my kids old scope out of the garage yesterday. Doesn't work well so looked on Amazon and may have to order one. Great pics.

Hey Plumber,

I picked up this one for $7.95 US off eBay. It has 30x and 60x magnification. Each magnifier has it's own LED light which are super bright! It came with a case and a spare battery. It is kind of small so takes a little bit to get used to , overall it does the job and wasn't too expensive.

dreamgreen

dreamgreen

Lookin good, i’d wait at least another couple weeks to harvest. Calyxes will all swell up and hairs will all turn brown and recede into them. Use the scope every day to make sure you don’t get more than 30% amber trichomes on the calyxes (not the sugar leaves).

Cannabizz

Cannabizz

Lookin good, i’d wait at least another couple weeks to harvest. Calyxes will all swell up and hairs will all turn brown and recede into them. Use the scope every day to make sure you don’t get more than 30% amber trichomes on the calyxes (not the sugar leaves).

Thanks bro, I'll check the calyxes tomorrow.

Cannabizz

Cannabizz

Lookin good, i’d wait at least another couple weeks to harvest.

Do you think I should take the top buds off in like a week so that the smaller, lower buds could get more energy to fatten up or just leave it and do it all at the same time. Want to also test out different trichome level like cloudy vs brown. Also want one that is got red pistils and mostly darker trichs. What should I do, you think?

dreamgreen

dreamgreen

Do you think I should take the top buds off in like a week so that the smaller, lower buds could get more energy to fatten up or just leave it and do it all at the same time. Want to also test out different trichome level like cloudy vs brown. Also want one that is got red pistils and mostly darker trichs. What should I do, you think?
You definitely can harvest the top buds first, if they mature before the lower ones. I always end up just cutting everything at once though. If you want to experiment with different trich colors/maturity, might as well leave some lower ones to mature longer. Should be a fun experiment.

Cannabizz

Cannabizz

I want to try different stages of trichome color so I cut this. It's been drying for the past few days. It still kinda smells like grass. Does that go away or does it mean it still has nutrients and needs more flush for rest of plant? In terms of trich color, it's a mix of cloudy/clear. This was one of the smaller flowers. I tried a bit in the bong. It dried out substantially. From 1.4 at time of cut to a 0.3 in 3 days. I was going to go for 7 days hanging but could I put it in jar and cure it now or should I wait til 7 days? The stone is like uppy, it makes me want to move around, dance, listen to music, zone out. Can't wait to see what the other stages are like.

IMG E2962
IMG E2964
Last edited:
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I want to try different stages of trichome color so I cut this. It's been drying for the past few days. It still kinda smells like grass. Does that go away or does it mean it still has nutrients and needs more flush for rest of plant? In terms of trich color, it's a mix of cloudy/clear. This was one of the smaller flowers. I tried a bit in the bong. It dried out substantially. From 1.4 at time of cut to a 0.3 in 3 days. I was going to go for 7 days hanging but could I put it in jar and cure it now or should I wait til 7 days? The stone is like uppy, it makes me want to move around, dance, listen to music, zone out. Can't wait to see what the other stages are like.
Jar it if not too wet although it's only one bud so shouldn't have mold problems.

Proper drying, i.e. kept about 70F in 50-60 RH. Usually takes 10+ days and gets rid of grass smell.

Cannabizz

Cannabizz

Jar it if not too wet although it's only one bud so shouldn't have mold problems.

Proper drying, i.e. kept about 70F in 50-60 RH. Usually takes 10+ days and gets rid of grass smell.

It dried up really quick. I hung it up for a few days. Thanks for the help. Do you use those humidity packets to keep the RH stable in the jars?

Cannabizz

Cannabizz

It dried up really quick. I hung it up for a few days. Thanks for the help. Do you use those humidity packets to keep the RH stable in the jars?

Have you ever read about the 777 rule. I think it is 70 degrees at 70% RH for 7 days. I read about that in another post the other day. So the drying does just that but the curing process is like aging wine? The longer the cure, the better the flower will smell and taste right?

Top Bottom