First Grow

• Thread starter Cannabizz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

That would be interesting to find out if they are more potent.
I can't say one way or the other and 2 yrs ago I had a hermie and it smoked just as good as it's siblings. The caps I made out of it were real good. I had expected it not to be as good as its siblings from what i had heard but in my opinion it was. Now the virgins from that grow were a little better than the seeded buds but it all made me happy😁

Are you going to produce any seeds? You should if you can. Never know what you might have and free seeds are free seeds.

Cannabizz

Cannabizz

Are you going to produce any seeds? You should if you can. Never know what you might have and free seeds are free seeds.

I was wondering that myself. In order for the seeds to form, I would need to let a cola form a sac and release the pollen onto the female flower, right? I would love free seeds. :D

Cannabizz

Cannabizz

Too awesome not to share. I've been waiting years to finally get an opportunity to grow my own bud! I'm lighting this joint for all growers to have an awesome season! :D

IMG 1918
IMG 1933
IMG 1932
IMG 1925
IMG 1923
IMG 1901
IMG 1913
IMG 1912
IMG 1907
IMG 1891
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
My biggest disappointment when I first started growing, was that the "huge" bud that I was so happy and proud about dried up to a small airy bud. It was still tasty but didn't get me more than a gram or two. It was a start and I still remember the taste (I still grow the same strain) when I first tried it. With a little experience, I was soon making a huge difference's in quality and quantity... so enjoy your 1st bud and savor the taste... you won't have another chance to grow your 1st bud!

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

My biggest disappointment when I first started growing, was that the "huge" bud that I was so happy and proud about dried up to a small airy bud. It was still tasty but didn't get me more than a gram or two. It was a start and I still remember the taste (I still grow the same strain) when I first tried it. With a little experience, I was soon making a huge difference's in quality and quantity... so enjoy your 1st bud and savor the taste... you won't have another chance to grow your 1st bud!
We look back and laugh now but then we were rockin' it. Let's make sure this next generation doesn't make the same mistakes we did.

Oh hell, who am I kidding? They'll make the very same mistakes we made just like those before us, and warned us, we'd make the same mistakes they made.

Life is awesome and there's nothing like learning from experience.🤣

Cannabizz

Cannabizz

It's a psychedelic experience! :D I just watered one that was dry. Brought to sink and filled it up. The water runoff was brown, I read that is good to drain the buildup. I'll do the same for the others when they dry out. They flowers are starting to grow upwards and are skinny. They have products that can make the buds swell? I've got organic unsulphured blackstrapp molasses on the way. I know that is good food for the microbes in the soil. Does it really affect the flavoring of the flowers? I was just going to use like a teaspoon of the molasses for a gal. of water, is that an okay dosage for the first time? Tks

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
It's a psychedelic experience! :D They have products that can make the buds swell? I've got organic unsulphured blackstrapp molasses on the way. I know that is good food for the microbes in the soil. Does it really affect the flavoring of the flowers?
The molasses is a bit mis-understood. There is a type of soil that is referred to as living soil. This special concoction has a ton of different things in it to encourage the establishment and growth of a special group of soil microbes. The molasses is actually for the benefit of the microbes and doesn't affect the plant directly. The soil is harder to grow and maintain than plants, so I would save it for a future grow... keep the 1st one simple. There ARE some different products, called PGRs (Plant Growth Regulators), which are sort of like plant hormones, but they are fairly advanced, can be dangerous, and can ruin your product. Another improvement for a possible future grow?
You have a ways to go before you should consider taking on these advance methods. It's not necessary to do any of those things to have a great grow. Seriously, all you need is a STRONG light (#1), Good Growing medium, a decent sized container (5 gal bucket), and generic fertilizer. This will allow you to grow 10' plants indoors in 3 months if you have the room and the strong lighting (I recommend a 1000 Watt Metal Halide/HPS or an equivalent LED system, around 600 wall watts). You can grow buds and colas as long as your arm. Growing can be simple or it can be as complicated as you wish to make it. You can have excellent results for a minimal investment, if you plan on growing enough to cover your needs. If you are just growing it as a hobby and size isn't an issue, then the smaller LED systems might be better. Keep up the great work! Each grow will teach you a little more, and soon it will be 2nd nature!

Cannabizz

Cannabizz

The molasses is a bit mis-understood. There is a type of soil that is referred to as living soil. This special concoction has a ton of different things in it to encourage the establishment and growth of a special group of soil microbes. The molasses is actually for the benefit of the microbes and doesn't affect the plant directly. The soil is harder to grow and maintain than plants, so I would save it for a future grow... keep the 1st one simple. There ARE some different products, called PGRs (Plant Growth Regulators), which are sort of like plant hormones, but they are fairly advanced, can be dangerous, and can ruin your product. Another improvement for a possible future grow?
You have a ways to go before you should consider taking on these advance methods. It's not necessary to do any of those things to have a great grow. Seriously, all you need is a STRONG light (#1), Good Growing medium, a decent sized container (5 gal bucket), and generic fertilizer. This will allow you to grow 10' plants indoors in 3 months if you have the room and the strong lighting (I recommend a 1000 Watt Metal Halide/HPS or an equivalent LED system, around 600 wall watts). You can grow buds and colas as long as your arm. Growing can be simple or it can be as complicated as you wish to make it. You can have excellent results for a minimal investment, if you plan on growing enough to cover your needs. If you are just growing it as a hobby and size isn't an issue, then the smaller LED systems might be better. Keep up the great work! Each grow will teach you a little more, and soon it will be 2nd nature!

Thanks Jimster. Thank you for the info on the molasses. Maybe I will use it next time to establish healthy living soil if I use any compost. I'll save it so I don't run into any issues on this time considering the time and energy put in thus far.

I'm using a 400W setup at the moment. I don't have the biggest space right now. The space i'm using now is about 5 ft tall, 2-3 ft deep and 3 ft long.

Thanks for your help!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Thanks Jimster. Thank you for the info on the molasses. Maybe I will use it next time to establish healthy living soil if I use any compost. I'll save it so I don't run into any issues on this time considering the time and energy put in thus far.

I'm using a 400W setup at the moment. I don't have the biggest space right now. The space i'm using now is about 5 ft tall, 2-3 ft deep and 3 ft long.

Thanks for your help!
That sounds like a nice little grow room. Do you have the walls painted white or lined with mylar? This can help a TON and is a cheap project... the mylar is available as a space blanket for $1 delivered. 400 watts is a good bit for the size of a room that you have if it is a true 400 watt system. On a side note... after you take your harvest, leave a few small buds on the plant, and then turn the lights back to either 24/0 or 18/6 (or in between) until your plant re-vegges. You will get new branches every spot that you left a tiny bud and it will grow in like a shrub, eliminating the need for heavy training/splitting.

Cannabizz

Cannabizz

That sounds like a nice little grow room. Do you have the walls painted white or lined with mylar? This can help a TON and is a cheap project... the mylar is available as a space blanket for $1 delivered. 400 watts is a good bit for the size of a room that you have if it is a true 400 watt system. On a side note... after you take your harvest, leave a few small buds on the plant, and then turn the lights back to either 24/0 or 18/6 (or in between) until your plant re-vegges. You will get new branches every spot that you left a tiny bud and it will grow in like a shrub, eliminating the need for heavy training/splitting.

This is the ballast. It's from 2009 so it is old in terms of technology. Sun System #10 Econo Gro 400 HPS

The hood is a sun system double ended reflector. I need to get an air cooled system in place because it is getting hot in there.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
This is the ballast. It's from 2009 so it is old in terms of technology. Sun System #10 Econo Gro 400 HPS

The hood is a sun system double ended reflector. I need to get an air cooled system in place because it is getting hot in there.
The 2 ballasts that I am using are 35+ year old magnetic behemoths. I have certainly got my money's worth out of them! My reflectors are white enamel, like the kind you see inonl buildings and stuff, with the bulb hanging downward, from the base. It iis very old school, but gives me a ton of light from the sides of the bulbs, which works great for taller Sativa strains... if you have the height. My plants sometimes grow above the level of the bulbs, turning the leaves nearly upside down. I prefer MH/HPS, but that's probably because I'm so familiar with it and I'm too old of a dog to learn new tricks.

Cannabizz

Cannabizz

The 2 ballasts that I am using are 35+ year old magnetic behemoths. I have certainly got my money's worth out of them! My reflectors are white enamel, like the kind you see inonl buildings and stuff, with the bulb hanging downward, from the base. It iis very old school, but gives me a ton of light from the sides of the bulbs, which works great for taller Sativa strains... if you have the height. My plants sometimes grow above the level of the bulbs, turning the leaves nearly upside down. I prefer MH/HPS, but that's probably because I'm so familiar with it and I'm too old of a dog to learn new tricks.

The inside of the enclosure is painted white as well, I forgot to mention. That's great that you have been able to use them for so long.

Cannabizz

Cannabizz

Here is an update. I want to give plain water from here on out. I noticed I burned the tips on some of the sugar leaves. Not good :( Any thoughts on just water from here on out?

IMG 2735
IMG 2734
IMG 2733
IMG 2732
IMG 2731
IMG 2730
IMG 2729
IMG 2728
IMG 2727
IMG 2725
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Here is an update. I want to give plain water from here on out. I noticed I burned the tips on some of the sugar leaves. Not good :( Any thoughts on just water from here on out?
I add a handful of wood ash and instead of feeding every week with manure tea, every two weeks and tap water as needed.

Top Bottom