First Grow.

• Thread starter GoldNBoy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

Started my grow in the old dog run. Hard pack clay mixed with horse manure & sand. Fish heads were buried under each plant. Six Sweet Afghani Delicious & Critical Kush from seeds. Six Girl Scout Cookie & Gorilla Glue #4 from clones. Some are as close as two weeks away.
First grow
First grow 2
First grow 3

GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

My first buds showed the 1st of August. I found spider mites 2 weeks in. They took out my corn & potatoes, & wrinkled the leaves on my peppers. But, they had been avoiding the mariweeds. This week they have really moved in on em. Spraying neem oil on the inside leaves, & dusting underneath with "Eight" (a step up from Sevin, claims to kill spider mites.) Maybe they won't make it up to the buds before the harvest begins.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
My first buds showed the 1st of August. I found spider mites 2 weeks in. They took out my corn & potatoes, & wrinkled the leaves on my peppers. But, they had been avoiding the mariweeds. This week they have really moved in on em. Spraying neem oil on the inside leaves, & dusting underneath with "Eight" (a step up from Sevin, claims to kill spider mites.) Maybe they won't make it up to the buds before the harvest begins.
I like to use a mix of isopropyl alcohol and water (1:1 for me, but others will dilute the iso even more with good results they say) applied every three days. I use either a rolling sprayer or one that mounts onto the back of my quadrunner. I do it either early morning or evening so I don't hit other bugs, and get them from the bottom up so they're dripping. I'll do this all the way through harvest and my flowers test clean of any pesticide residues, mold, and so on. It will never build up like neem can, and will never make extracts a problem, and there's no chance of the mites developing resistance, which may be possible with this other product you're using.

If you'd like a link to the tank sprayer I'd be happy. I do wish I got the smaller sprayer but now that we're going to be living on flatter land, it might not be such a tipping problem for me. *If* I ever get to grow that big again. :/

GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

Thanks Seamaiden! I bought alcohol yesterday, but winds have been bad since 6pm-ish. Spider mites are worse than I thought, though. They are attacking the small inner buds now. Oddly enough, they attacked my corn first. They seem to prefer it to my mariweeds.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Can you plant more as a trap plant? I've been told to plant colored corn varieties nearby any purple cannabis strains so that the cabbage moths will go lay eggs on them and not the purple girls. I hear you on the wind, it's going to become my new paradigm. It can be amazing, and it can lay you out. When the w settles down.. will the w settle down?

GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

It's too late to plant more, but next year I plan to use it as a buffer. I kinda hate to, because it uses lots of water. This first grow has been a HUGE learning experience. My main hope for next year is to just be better prepared all the way across the board. New dirt (alkali clay dug out & replaced), better walls (chain link & tarps suck), hail screen, hoop houses (for an earlier start), earlier pest control measures, real genetics (no more seeds from a bag), no more garden parties (the likely source of my Borg contamination, allbeit a good time) and tie them up early & often (CO plains can be very very windy).

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Funny you should mention that. My first experience with spider mites indoors was after my grower son came to visit me. Fortunately, my flower room was so cold they never got a foothold. Plus, I handle everything in a direction, most valuable to least valuable, then I freeze anything that doesn't get washed.

I'm moving to the high desert of SoCal, near Joshua Tree. We daren't utter the 'w' word, lest it blow us away!

GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

Hopefully, next year I'll be moved out of town, at the least. Nosy neighbors can make life difficult, even where it's legal. If the fuzz come to make a plant count, (a popular rumor, as to upcoming events) I have a dank lil volunteer & 2 small clones that could very well land me a nice fine. Also, my roof isn't finished, so it's not completely enclosed.

RastaZombie

RastaZombie

Thanks Seamaiden! I bought alcohol yesterday, but winds have been bad since 6pm-ish. Spider mites are worse than I thought, though. They are attacking the small inner buds now. Oddly enough, they attacked my corn first. They seem to prefer it to my mariweeds.
Greencleaner? Neemoil?

GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

Lots of neem oil in the past few weeks. Just don't want them to taste like it, yet still get a crop. I cut the little volunteer down. Really should have cloned that one. It was a tiny plant in a shady spot, right on the edge of the garden. (I'm pretty sure I was smoking critical kush at the time.) The grasshoppers would slip in and take half a leaf here n there. No light, but it didn't stretch, just lingered around until it came time to bud. It flowered really big for such a small plant (2 foot tall Charlie Brown Christmas tree). It put off three small colas that were covered with trichs. I only cut off the big leaves and the short leaves to the trichs, then hung the branches to dry. But, my scissors gummed up 3\4 through. I look forward to scissor hash, but this was the sweetest I've tasted. Oops.

RastaZombie

RastaZombie

I love the fact that you buried a fish head under each plant, I dont know why but it sound like it was a good idea. what kind of fish head do you prefer we talking salmon or catfish ?
Shark head homie. Go big or go fishing. People in my fam use a mixture of fish. That ive seen with other stuff. Have you ever thougt about growing over a cemetery sheesh. Alllll the nutrients a persons body could need. ;)

RastaZombie

RastaZombie

Lots of neem oil in the past few weeks. Just don't want them to taste like it, yet still get a crop. I cut the little volunteer down. Really should have cloned that one. It was a tiny plant in a shady spot, right on the edge of the garden. (I'm pretty sure I was smoking critical kush at the time.) The grasshoppers would slip in and take half a leaf here n there. No light, but it didn't stretch, just lingered around until it came time to bud. It flowered really big for such a small plant (2 foot tall Charlie Brown Christmas tree). It put off three small colas that were covered with trichs. I only cut off the big leaves and the short leaves to the trichs, then hung the branches to dry. But, my scissors gummed up 3\4 through. I look forward to scissor hash, but this was the sweetest I've tasted. Oops.
No neem tatse you have a point.

GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

I used"wiper". It's a hybrid fish, mix of striped bass & walleye. Had planned to just use carp, but it's a good bonus to get a good kinda fish, that you can eat. And get enough that you can just clean them into a bucket & either freeze it for later or put it straight in the ground. Freeze your fillets & get back to fishing. It worked for the Native Americans.

GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

Still mourning the lil volunteer, or rather lamenting the fact that I didn't clone it first. Oh well. Watered the early girl scout clone for the last time. Trichs are 20 - 25% golden. By Tuesday, it will be hanging upside down. The gorilla glue mother plant (that refuses to die), doesn't have much on it. But, like the lil old lady that peed in the ocean said, "Every little bit counts!".

GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

Seamaiden, I need a longer wand, with a 90* tip.I can't reach the inside of several plants, because they are just too wide. I laid down on my side and sprayed up into them. I just don't feel like the bottom leaves got anything on their underside.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ok, gimme a second here... Northern Tool was where I got my tank sprayer, and then I got the little 5gal rolling electric one from Tractor Supply. If it's windy you're going to need something that's sturdier than the little 5gal for push, etc.

Ok, they've changed totally how they're selling these units. Mine was already with the pump, wand, nozzle, some hose. I added the tank mixer, and always get at least one extra wand/nozzle, because they *will* fail right when you absolutely need 'em. Here comes a list of links:
The tank. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200337116_200337116
The diaphragm pump (yes, you want diaphragm!). http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200578544_200578544
Le wand. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200311942_200311942

You're going to have to get the vinyl tubing yourself, braided is HIGHLY recommended, but depending on how much you need it can get expensive. I added to mine with regular old vinyl tubing and yes, sometimes if it's kept under pressure and gets hot it'll burst, but it's cheap to replace. The braided stuff never does that though. Of course, hose clampage is also needed here. And jeez, they also used to sell the unit with tie downs, so if you use on a quad or something like that you're gonna need those as well. Gees.

Wind is killin' me. Just fing killin' me.
I can't like that, because I've had so much stuff broken from the w.

Latest posts

Top Bottom