First Grow.

• Thread starter GoldNBoy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

I bought a 275 gallon caged tank and a circulation pump for next year. Nuting will be easier and more precise. I plan to try to get a 35 gallon electric sprayer at auction next week. I know that it works, but a wand extension and circulation pump would be nice. Thanks Sea!

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Thanks Seamaiden! I bought alcohol yesterday, but winds have been bad since 6pm-ish. Spider mites are worse than I thought, though. They are attacking the small inner buds now. Oddly enough, they attacked my corn first. They seem to prefer it to my mariweeds.
I used a product called greencleaner for spider mites recommended by @gravekat303 and it seems to have worked so far. It can be used up to the last few days before harvest and it is made of soybean oil so no pesticides to soak into your flowers.

RastaZombie

RastaZombie

I used a product called greencleaner for spider mites recommended by @gravekat303 and it seems to have worked so far. It can be used up to the last few days before harvest and it is made of soybean oil so no pesticides to soak into your flowers.
Shit works. I had a misicule problem with a a few plants turning into Mary janes face after a spider man nut fest and next few days they were gone with the Green Cleaner. Plants stay looking good and healthy.

RastaZombie

RastaZombie

I like to use a mix of isopropyl alcohol and water (1:1 for me, but others will dilute the iso even more with good results they say) applied every three days. I use either a rolling sprayer or one that mounts onto the back of my quadrunner. I do it either early morning or evening so I don't hit other bugs, and get them from the bottom up so they're dripping. I'll do this all the way through harvest and my flowers test clean of any pesticide residues, mold, and so on. It will never build up like neem can, and will never make extracts a problem, and there's no chance of the mites developing resistance, which may be possible with this other product you're using.

If you'd like a link to the tank sprayer I'd be happy. I do wish I got the smaller sprayer but now that we're going to be living on flatter land, it might not be such a tipping problem for me. *If* I ever get to grow that big again. :/
Would you suggest that inconjunction to Green Cleaner and Neem. Or would that be a possible overkill even with proper measurment etc. I was contemplating this all night.

GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

At this point, I want to do all 3 myself. I mixed the alcohol 1:5 & it killed on contact. The "Eight" powder by Bonide, ( Permethrin .125%) did not... Even when mixed with Dawn dish soap & water. Ran out of neem last nite. It would seem that the Borg are sensitive to the more pungent oils, neem, peppermint, clove etc. Makes sense that a soybean oil would be a safe way to kill them.

GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

So, I ran out of good buds in February, last year. A few of my friends grow & I helped trim. By the end of harvest, I had accumulated almost a pound. But, the rest of the year, I've been smoking a volunteer plant that was given to me. It had come up in the SW corner of an abandoned grow. It had very little light and a semi-welcome squatter had plucked all the leaves a month before we cut it down. What should have been a dank super skunk, ended up... well mostly bunk. But, if I ground it up & added just a little scissor hash, I'm good. No one else wants it, but it works.
Today, I had my first (mostly) dry popcorns from the Gorilla Glue #4 mother plant. I took over 100 clones from her 2 weeks into bud. Bought an off brand pkg of starter pellets and all 50 died. Took 12 more clones for a friend, and they are doing great. I put my 40 under an LED shop light. I did not get any above ground growth, but they rooted well. I moved them to cups, and discarded 5 more. Additional curly Q fluorescent bulb and my old purplish bathroom fluorescent, for leaf growth. (I should mention that I'm on a super tight budget & like to repurpose any chance I get.) My total watts used: 75. Total lumens produced: 4500. Where am I on the light spectrum? I'm gonna guess somewhere near 500???
...WOW! I'm cooked like a cake off 3 puffs! I better get off here, and get something done... Like wandering around the garden like I'm lost.

Last edited:
RastaZombie

RastaZombie

Plant was so lonely and "abandonded" but yo ass knew the exact geological location and angle of her to the tilt.lol
How do you clone or take cutting now. I cant personally suggest anything but the pros im sure can help.
I have sprayed rx clone 1 week prior twice a week. Take my cutting dip it in rx cloning gel for abou 10 mins or so let those enzymes do their job.then place in cloner eith cloning solution by RX and a tiny bit of root excel and literlly 2 drops of kelp. Thats worked for me. Have you tried to take any cuttings since?

GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

No, I should have enough GG4 to give away to several friends with indoor setups. There are about ten of us who have been helping each other out, sharing knowledge and resources. Circumstances have left several friends with poor results. The idea was to get a couple good strains started, and make clones for all of us. Then we revegged & flipped the mothers. Early storms and a biblical grasshopper plague left us cutting more clones in the 3rd week. I ended up with 4 of the GG4 and 2 Girl Scouts. 2 of the GG4s & 1 GS were just trying to die in the propagator, so I put them in the ground... in mid-July.
By now, the mothers were done. The GG4 outproduced the GSC by 2 to 1, and the quality was better. So, when the fuzz showed up to tell me there had been complaints about the illegal grows around town, I decided I needed to make sure I had a legal plant count. I had to make a decision between giant mystery from the bag seed plants or a smaller guaranteed dank plant. I chose to sacrifice the small dank plant for the good of the "clan". Joke's on me... GG4 is a tough strain. She didn't die, rather came back strong. I took several more branches, just for something to smoke until harvest. Where the top cola was cut off, three more took its place. Oh the irony! One of the giant seeds, a LST sativa dominant, is 12 feet wide, 10 feet deep, and has reached 7 feet tall & been tied down, on lots of tops four separate times. Well, it's a stringy plant and looks nothing like Green Crack pics I've seen. On top of that, there aren't many trichs, either. Yet, the hairs are turning orange, & it's losing leaves. It could easily be 1\2 hemp, in this valley. But, the bag it came from was bright & uplifting, in the dead of winter.
...so, I guess the question is, do I cut it instead? Make it into brownies & pretend they're good?
Did I mention the Sweet Afghan Delicious is outproducing everything? Giant colas, and a chance to "monster" clone it. I gotta try it first.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Shit works. I had a misicule problem with a a few plants turning into Mary janes face after a spider man nut fest and next few days they were gone with the Green Cleaner. Plants stay looking good and healthy.
As long as you dont mix it too strong and spray it on at night or let the plants dry before putting back under light. I made the mistake of spraying under t5 and burned my plants, it was a strong mix too.

GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

Cloning is new to me, and I know I was doing a few things wrong. Took cuts that were 3 nodes, but include small buds. I scraped the bottom, cut them at a 45* angle and removed any large leaves. I dipped them in clonex gel, and poked them into peat pellets soaked in distilled water. I put them under a dome, and keep them moist. Then they stay warm for two weeks, with minimal light. Dome comes off by day ten. Repot into solo cups when root begins to show, and turn up the lights.

GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

I am going to take some clones from the SAD this morning. It came from seed, and the "clan" agrees that it is the biggest, & heaviest trichs forming. I'm kinda honored in a way... The rest of the clan has been growing for years, and my rookie garden may produce most of next year's strains. One of us became a mmj provider, and he usually buys about ten new strains from seed. We try them and each of us pick any new ones we want to try next year. I took late Oct seeds that were supposed to be either self pollinated, or crossed with Holy Grail. Out of 8 budding females, only 2 match the mother plant.
Just don't like those averages, and hope to keep the SAD & GG4 strains going for next year.

GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

Each of us have our own garden for our own reasons. I am trying to learn from all of our mistakes.
#1 garden belongs to a Vietnam Vet mmj provider. Best outdoor setup. Greenhouses with 12' hail screen roof. Started with 99 bought seed plants, cut back to 50 due to legal hassles. Neighbor 1 mile away planted hemp. Result: 50 big seedy plants & grounds for a lawsuit.
#2 garden. Vietnam Vet. Recreational grow in an old dog kennel (7th yr). 6 GG4 clones, 6 GSC clones planted in the ground June 15, and 6 bought seeds in rock wools in ground July 15. Possible shade tree issue, didn't tie up plants until after breakage from wind. Result: 6 & 7 foot monsters fighting for light, and decent seed plants to boot... Over his count, but he's gonna have a lot.
#3 garden. Indoor guy, youngest of us @ 30, walled in his wife's flower garden & went 12 GG4 clones planted in the ground June 15. grasshoppers & shade tree issue. Result: completely disgruntled grower. Won't even look at his garden. Just turns the water on every few days. Plants are tiny & half covered in spider mites.
#4 garden 55ish mechanic. Personal mmj grow. 7th yr garden. 6 & 6 clones planted in the ground June 15. Grasshoppers & shade tree issue, along with stretch from extra tall walls. Result: lost at least 1\2 his yield to grasshoppers in a tightly enclosed garden.
#5 garden. First year guy, retired speedboat guy. Started on his own, from seed? Doesn't allow visitors to his blacked out garden. He used black fabric for his upper walls, plus shade tree issue. Result: have to guess it's stretchy, but he managed to seal out the grasshoppers.
#6 garden. First year guy, nerve issues (MS or Parkinson's type thing). Two seeds from garden #1 in 25 gallon containers & ten mixed clones planted in the ground June 15. Only built one 8' north wall, and rest was 30". Grasshoppers took over. Replaced over half by mid July, and 3 more the next week. Messy divorce, and he had to camp out until she could find a new place. 3 weeks away, came back to grasshoppers, stunted plants & a big male... and a hemp field two miles away. Result: 8 live plants, 2\3 yield loss, at least.
#7 garden. First year guy. Works out of state. Garden only had two walls, & grasshoppers mowed everything we planted for him in June. Mid July we managed to get 3 bought seeds in the ground. Result: 3 little bonsai trees budding nicely.
#8 garden. 40 yr old bachelor still living with his mom. Garden is an old chicken coup. Waited for him to call to either ask for help preping his garden, or say he was ready for plants. Never called. Finally, we planted 12 mixed clones in the ground July 15 for him. Apparently, methamphetamine has him by the short & curlies. The shunning has already begun. He was left out of the bulk purchases like neem oil & kool bloom. None of us will go over there. He only shows up to sell things he"found". Complains that the late start has cost him plant size and yields. More likely, he was tweeking in his shop, while grasshoppers ate dehydrated plants. Result: no one cares... But, 5 little popcorn bonsais will likely be stolen by his new "friends", or he'll sell it for meth.
#9 garden. Aspergers sufferer, been growing since before it was legal, 5th year garden. 9 GG4 & 3 GSC clones planted in the ground July 15, plus one volunteer. Never tied up his plants, suffered some breakage. Stopped spraying when plants started to bud, and now has the trifecta: spider mites, thrips & aphids. Result: 12 beautiful plants covered in bugs.
#10 garden. Mine, soon to be 40, with slipped very next to a neck fracture, hiatal hernia, early emphysema, shattered kidney, ruptured disc L4\5, & a bic sized nerve sheath tumor coming out of the S2 hole in my hip. First year guy. Dog run, tarp for walls, 1\2 covered. Started seeds from garden #1, planted in the ground may 1. Some tried to bud, some died, some just survived. I pulled males, fought grasshoppers and heat. Put in a GG4 & a GSC clone in the ground June 15, then 2 GG4& one GSC clone in the ground July 15, plus a Green Crack bag seed and 3 volunteers... this put me way over my limit. I cut down 3 big seed plants, 2 volunteers & tried to clone the smallest GG4 to death. I'm still @ 14, need to be @12.
***Each guy has their own garden, & free will to go about it their own way. We share sprayers, tractors, tillers, fertilizer, pest control, building material, labor, knowledge and of course hardship & woes. At the end of the year, each guy has their own bounty. But, each guy has at least a little more, because we worked together.

Fishmaster42

Fishmaster42

one of the best things i ever did was go to Dip and Grow from using clonex for years. the Dip and Grow clones seem to just make better plants. the stuff is cheap bottle last a long time. MY GG cut was always the one no one could get clones from hard to clone. I got a heat mat just for her clones and have had fair success. 40 % of them now with the Dip and Grow. give it a try. Fish

GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

Thanks Fish! I'll try that next time. Garden #7 is coming over to help me decide my next move. He will take 12 of the GG4 clones for his indoor this winter. He has a nice warmer. I will probably give the other clones some outdoor time.

RastaZombie

RastaZombie

I got some green crack the other day and was kind of pissed it looked blasted no thc at all tasted like crap but i did start to clean the hell out of everything around me for several hours. i got super motivated. Fish
Maybe it was blasted green blasted with crack.

RastaZombie

RastaZombie

That heavy Sativa lady, the Green Crack? Don't go by trichomes! Some of the craziest stoniest weed I've ever smoked had very little trichome cover.
A little late but only because the results came in.
Your Iso water 1:1 worked like a charm for me. No wilt or tilt, she stood heavy set built,so thank you very much as i bow with me kilt.

GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

Good lookin out, Sea! Iso & water 1:4 also worked, but I need to do the rest of the garden, now. Garden #7 talked me out of cutting it (Green Crack) down, on volume & the fact that I had just sprayed it with neem oil. ***By the way, the Green Crack & the Sweet Afghan Delicious have little or no mites, & haven't been treated differently. They are at least a lil bit more resistant to the Borg.

GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

I went in for my kidney checkup yesterday. STILL have blood in my urine! Over a year & 9 months ago, I was up against a wall, when a horse kicked me. It Shattered my kidney, and I had to be flight-for-life'd. Now days, I deal with cysts and stones. I dread the vibration of a car ride that's more than a few minutes, (and I live an hour from anywhere).

Top Bottom