First Soil Grow - Alien Grenades

• Thread starter alexB45
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
alexB45

alexB45

So we lost power for a few hours. I wish i could have let the smaller plant veg a couple more weeks before the flip, but it just wouldn't have worked. It was never transplanted, so it has/had that as an advantage over the other 2, which lost some roots during transplant some weeks ago. It was really starting to bounce back, 5/6 days after it was topped the first time. I wish I could have topped it again before flip. The good news is, if the younger one is the only female in the bunch, it should stay small enough that I will never have to raise the roof, but I can't imagine I'll get much for yield. I am praying that the pyramid on the right is my female......... but I'd obviously take any one of the 3! NUTES will be floranova and Koolbloom, which I used for my DWC last winter. I'll have to look into how these will translate into a soil grow.

alexB45

alexB45

So they are starting to express their sexual characteristics. the taller one's has pistils popping in one place, but also looks like it has straight sacks in other spots. the one with the really good form, which I was hoping was a girl, is looking more like its a male at this point. The younger plant is showing nothing yet. This is not my final diagnosis, but its not looking great at this point. Forcing premature flower on them could not have helped. We'll see what happens....

alexB45

alexB45

So I killed the two big ones a couple days ago. One was hermie, one was male. The little one is still showing no signs of gender, although its been in 12/12 for 12 days. Here are a couple pics of the one I believed to be the hermie.... That was the only place on the plant that there were pre flowering pistils, all other places were just straight up balls on sticks. I was disappointed, but it is what it is. At least the root systems looked good!

IMG 2672
IMG 2700
IMG 2701
IMG 2703
O

Organicyumyum

That's awesome man, good luck.... 10 years old, and only 4 hours to split?!.... that's pretty amazing. I've maybe tried germinating 20 seeds in my life, never seen one show the tap in <24 appx. I'd like to see what your setup looks like.

As far as the broken/duct taped stem, I'm gonna say there is almost no chance it pulls through, as I broke it almost all the way off, hanging by a thread. I have grafted separated stems to stems before in a plant propagation class, but we made cuts at a slanted angle and I'm nearly certain we dipped in a plant hormone solution to aid the graft. Right now the foliage on that stem is wilting pretty badly, and it looks like I've cost myself some potential future yield, if female, because I was not careful enough.....

best way to save a broken stem is to wrap it carefully with a wet paper towel and hold it in place ( I usually use a wire twist tie to hold it on). I rarely lose a broken one with this technique.

alexB45

alexB45

best way to save a broken stem is to wrap it carefully with a wet paper towel and hold it in place ( I usually use a wire twist tie to hold it on). I rarely lose a broken one with this technique.

That makes sense. I appreciate the tip very much.

alexB45

alexB45

well i think the little one has turned out to be female... pistils popping in various places... one pre flower looking sack that hasnt popped yet though hoping this isnt a hermie situation..... but for the most part.... pistils popping!

alexB45

alexB45

so i might have just made a mistake.... since the little one was in a smaller container than the other ones, and i killed them a week ago and took their containers, i figured it wouldnt hurt to transplant the young one, which I do believe is beginning to start the flowering process.... after doing this, It dawned on me that developing roots was no longer the plants primary focus... was the transplanting stress worth it? the root system looked great, bottom of pot was good and filled out, sides were not as much so. I did this because this plant has had a stressy lookin kinda leaf curl going on, and its likely not from overwatering (i've been keeping them dry if anything)... & no chlorosis or anything like that goin on- I don't believe its a nutes thing, i've been very sparse, but sparse enough to avoid deficit, i think.... could be something entirely different, have to do with light, air circulation.... maybe its the totally dry & cool immediate atmosphere...... lack of humidity.....

alexB45

alexB45

or maybe more CO2 is desired?...., they get fresh air for like 5-10 minutes per 24 hour period, maybe this is not be sufficient... this setup has a very small exhaust fan thats always running, but otherwise no internal air movement....

alexB45

alexB45

everything looks good, except, for one pollen sack. I removed it, will continue to monitor closely. This is likely a losing battle, but might as well try

IMG 2754
IMG 2755
IMG 2757
IMG 2759
IMG 2752
IMG 2764
alexB45

alexB45

only one that I knew of, I removed. I thought I saw two the other day, but I can't locate a 2nd now.

plants pics below from 11/29, three days after 12/12 flip.

thats her/him in the front....

IMG 2768
IMG 2651
IMG 2647
alexB45

alexB45

no more obvious male parts have appeared yet...
this plant has stretched pretty good over 25 days of 12/12.... its been adequately stressed, hence the likely hermie situation.
I can only imagine what these genetics are capable of in a more ideal growing environment (theres not a ton of photos or even good info about AGf2 online)

I have one AG f2 seed left.

IMG 2820
alexB45

alexB45

I extended the roof height. added about 10 inches to the total height of setup. Added places for ventilation front and back up top. Lowered lights to a height of 1.5-2 higher than the previous canopy to lights distance.

IMG 2826
IMG 2827
IMG 2835
IMG 2837
IMG 2838
IMG 2841
usstoner

usstoner

Well man she looks very happy..gonna be a good run..nice work man...very
informative...and I've broken
many branches over the yrs..duct tape works well...

Last edited:
alexB45

alexB45

thanks man. Tonight I added some light to the project. Since she/it was only a couple of weeks old from seed when 12/12 began anyways, and was not trained liked the other two, I might as well still try to make the best of things in the yield department. Clearly the scrog was the way to go, but I removed it because the plant was never trained into it properly. It was 4 inches below the scrog when 12/12 began. I should also mention that I kind of transitioned to CFL lights over the last few weeks. Originally I had more 'daylight' LED lights in there, and currently one of them remains. The CFL's total (23 x 8) 184 actual watts, 12,800 lumens. Also kept one 23w 'daylight' in there, plus, the 3300 or something lumen 90w LED ufo.
Total lumens:
actual watts:
'equivalent' watts:

IMG 2869
IMG 2870
IMG 2873
alexB45

alexB45

I went back and found the earliest photo of specimen #3, on the right in first picture from November 14th
(12 days before 12/12 began)
&
December 26th- 30 days into 12/12

IMG 2892

IMG 2448
alexB45

alexB45

jan 21
55 days of 12/12. I'm thinking maybe up to a week behind....due to very slow start from being so young (appx. 2.5 weeks from seed), and having just been topped.

Photo 3
Close up
Photo 5
Top Bottom