• Thread starter elusiveshame
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

elusiveshame

Morning pic:
F6E325BC 02D9 47E3 9049 75C78ACD31DF

3B35B2BB DB2F 4C7F AFBC 419AF4502C8C

They’re continuing to climb up. The canopy isn’t as even as I would have liked, but I don’t think it’s so bad for a first timer.

I’ll likely do one last defoliation in about 2 weeks as that’ll be the 20-21 day mark, then I’ll just let it ride.

E

elusiveshame

Today’s pics:
096501DF 2473 41AD 8581 0A467B168AC6

C9C80C67 ABC3 49DD BE7D CA0A6794BE10

EA260B8B 686F 4D3A 8E9E A8B8CC7E86C3

Since I can’t really lift the pots too much to tell if they need water, I’ve been using a soil tester. The plant on the bottom needs a feeding (shows dry as deep as it goes), and the top plant is dry about 3” down, but then reads “normal”. I’m going to wait a few more hours and test again, then I’ll do a feeding on both, and just use less on the top plant.

Beyond that, they’re looking and smelling just fine 😎

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Today’s pics:
View attachment 1300924
View attachment 1300925
View attachment 1300926

Since I can’t really lift the pots too much to tell if they need water, I’ve been using a soil tester. The plant on the bottom needs a feeding (shows dry as deep as it goes), and the top plant is dry about 3” down, but then reads “normal”. I’m going to wait a few more hours and test again, then I’ll do a feeding on both, and just use less on the top plant.

Beyond that, they’re looking and smelling just fine 😎
I want to call BS....with a smiley face...lol don't tell me you can't really lift the pots.....yes you can...unless of course I missed something and you're disabled is so I apologize. What I'm getting at is you just need to lift enough to see if its light or heavy, I can one handed reach in and lift 3 - 5 gallon pots .....not off the ground but enough to feel the weight, if its light of water I can almost lift them straight up, if not they don't need it yet.....Even in a scrog it just has to be lifted an inch to know if its light or not.....

If in doubt look at your records and see when you last fed / watered...if they get it every 3 - 4 days and you're on one of those days then giver what she needs and take note.

1/2 feeds are not a great idea, feed them both at the same time but saturate the soil on both then let dry get the food to all of the roots not just on top, top wet bottom dry???😃

😃😃

E

elusiveshame

I want to call BS....with a smiley face...lol don't tell me you can't really lift the pots.....yes you can...unless of course I missed something and you're disabled is so I apologize. What I'm getting at is you just need to lift enough to see if its light or heavy, I can one handed reach in and lift 3 - 5 gallon pots .....not off the ground but enough to feel the weight, if its light of water I can almost lift them straight up, if not they don't need it yet.....Even in a scrog it just has to be lifted an inch to know if its light or not.....

If in doubt look at your records and see when you last fed / watered...if they get it every 3 - 4 days and you're on one of those days then giver what she needs and take note.

1/2 feeds are not a great idea, feed them both at the same time but saturate the soil on both then let dry get the food to all of the roots not just on top, top wet bottom dry???😃

😃😃

I mean I can physically lift them, but I don’t want to cause any issues with the nets :p if it won’t do any harm, I’ll keep doing that as well.

And it’s been typically every 3 days that I feed them, so I’m right in that schedule. What I meant by “partial” was to saturate the soil fully but just anticipate using less water since there appears to be a little moisture towards the bottom.

I’ll do a lift test and reassess :)

O

omega_mu

Anyone having doubts on lights and where they should be height wise and dimmer wise. I see alot of threads on lights and is it too mych ir too little. Spend the 30 to 40 bucks for a uni-t Bluetooth lux meter and get the free ppfd app. Migro shows you real data on YouTube. No need to have to guess or have doubt. One of the cheapest thing you can do and get real benefit.

E

elusiveshame

Decided to wait until this morning to feed the girls. I probably could have done it yesterday, but by the time I was able to, it was 5 mins before lights out. And both pots had a little bit of weight to them, so I don’t think it was a big deal.

Here’s after the feeding:
89CCEBDA 125B 43B7 8AC3 BCC7BD79B8B1

I have to go in and tuck some leaves and such, but they’re growing nicely it seems :)

E

elusiveshame

This mornings progress pic:
21E3A17D B23A 48A5 B582 40CF6B29C021

They’ve breached the 2nd net 😁

I’ve picked the 2 branches that I’m going to pollinate after next weekend (2 of the smaller flower sites that aren’t getting a whole lot of light, but are still growing). When I do it, I’m going to just shut the tent down during daytime for a few minutes to apply the pollen then cover the sites with a paper lunch bag for a day. Once they’re covered, I’ll turn everything back on. This will help prevent the spread of the pollen. I’ll also do a light mist of water on the rest of the canopy just in case.

E

elusiveshame

If anyone has been wondering about the male plant, wonder no more :)

He’s doing well outside in the greenhouse (and outside on the deck on these unseasonably warm and sunny days):

96119200 39D7 4A67 A256 4A9723384827

3C2CC691 6E94 416B BFA1 DBB98DC99B99

I decided today to try some of those Kyle Kushman super crop techniques (the chiropractic massage + the 90 degree bend).

I did the “chiropractic crunch” on one stalk, and did the 90 degree bend on another.

I think I did it right, but if I didn’t, it’s the male plant so I don’t mind losing a few branches (or the whole plant).

Heres the result of it:

5860C70C 322A 4918 86B0 8BEE916EE7AC
9D7EB89E 0593 4DA2 B975 1EE380284828

I’ll report back on how it looks over the next few days.

E

elusiveshame

Today’s pics (after feeding):
98816F2C B69E 4DF9 9AB8 9D62C5C9DD5C

10432EEF 8FBF 4DAA 8260 6BBA37A7E52D

BDB8BAE8 CC30 4130 9AD2 227E7BB6D809

Next Monday/Tuesday will be day 21 of flower, so I think I’m going to trim all of the growth under the first net, and some of the upper fan leaves that are blocking light to some of the lower flowers. I’d do it now, but I’m somewhat concerned about stressing them to hermie at this point.

Thoughts on trimming at this point?

E

elusiveshame

For the male plant - both the super crop branch and chiropractic’d branch seem to be healing just fine, but might be somewhat slower than normal due to it being kind of cold out now (dropped to the mid 40’s today). Both flowers look good, and the 90 degree bend is still there, with the flower angling upward again. The slow healing could also be due to it being in flower and not veg as well.

I think I have enough confidence to try it on my next grow, at least a little bit anyway.

It’s amazing how much more growth the male plant has compared to the females, even with it being cold out. The sun makes so much more of a difference, even at the end of the year.

E

elusiveshame

Just pollinated 2 flowers (one on each plant).

I used a qtip to apply the pollen and then covered them up. One with a sandwich bag that I cut the corners off of, and one with an old rx paper bag, also with the corners cut off.

I turned off the fans on the inside of the tent (exhaust is still going). I’ll turn them back on this evening, and in the morning, I’ll turn the fans off again, remove the bags, and spray the pollinated sites before turning the fans back on again.

I put the pollen on the 2 lowest tops, so I hope that reduces any risk of potential airborne pollen.

0DE02505 2CBA 43AF A5EA 5E7BC3F9E5D2
E

elusiveshame

Today’s pic:
C65CF7AD 2243 4704 B9E6 FBED744C3A4E

I turned the fans off, removed the bags over the flowers with pollen, and gave everything a light spray.

I didn’t see any of the pistols change to amber/brown, so idk if the pollination took.

Since the temps are dropping into the 20F’s now, the male plant is hurting in the greenhouse and likely won’t make it to collect any pollen. Not the end of the world, though, and let’s me know that all outdoor grows in the greenhouse should be done by the first week of November.

Aside from all of that, all im doing is adjusting the tops as they grow through the netting this week. This weekend / next Monday I’ll do a final defoliation and just keep up on the feedings.

E

elusiveshame

So I was just inspecting the pollinated flowers, and I did see some ends of the pistols turn and start to die off. I think pollination has been a success! 😁

I also just adjusted some of the tops in the 2nd netting, and let me just say, that 2nd net is really helping to train/support/tuck leaves out of the way.

Also, I’m starting to wonder if the bottom plant in the pic is a sativa/indica hybrid. The leaves seem a decent amount thinner than the top plant, but doesn’t seem nearly as thin for a sativa dominant. Any idea?

Buzzy12

Buzzy12

Supporter
Almost every strain available is a hybrid at this point unless you're growing a landrace strain. It's hard to say a strain is a 60/40 vs 80/20, etc... There's definitely Sativa genetics in there with how narrow those leaves are. Bud structure is another indicator of Indica vs Sativa genetics. Indica strains tend to be denser, more compact and Sativa strains tend to be fluffier, more elongated. Phenotypes are another factor to consider. Some seeds of the same strain can exhibit more traits for one vs the other. Without having at least some sense of what you're growing it's hard to say.

E

elusiveshame

This mornings pic:
CB6EC790 4886 4EFF B7A1 518F916A4948

Quite a few tops are now through the second netting, and aside from some leaf tucking and top training where applicable, nothing else has changed.

The lights have been on 100% for the last week and I’m not seeing any light stress. The lights are also pretty high up, maybe another inch or so from being maxed out. There’s still a 22-26” distance from the canopy to the light, so I think that’s all good and doesn’t need any further adjustment.

The lower plant felt light, so I used my soil tester and was “dry+” throughout in the few test spots I put it in. The top plant still has some weight and is reading “normal” once the probe goes halfway down.

I fed the bottom plant just a few minutes ago - about a gallon, and I have another gallon ready to go for the top plant. I’ll test it again throughout the day, and if I have to wait until tomorrow, no biggie.

I did change around my humidity sensor and humidity settings a smidge. The outlet that’s controlled by the humidity sensor is now about halfway up the tent, and kicks on between 45% and 51%. I had it at 48% to 55%, but with the colder temps coming in, and having to have my pellet stove going, the humidity in the basement drops to less than 30%.

I was able to raise it to 34% before I went to bed using a few damp towels in front of the stoves blower and another small humidifier halfway across the basement.

The reason I adjusted the sensor and settings is so that I wouldn’t run out of water in my tent humidifier while I’m sleeping as it was just constantly running trying to reach 55% that it likely won’t hit during the winter.

That’s all for now :)

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

This mornings pic:
View attachment 1303287

Quite a few tops are now through the second netting, and aside from some leaf tucking and top training where applicable, nothing else has changed.

The lights have been on 100% for the last week and I’m not seeing any light stress. The lights are also pretty high up, maybe another inch or so from being maxed out. There’s still a 22-26” distance from the canopy to the light, so I think that’s all good and doesn’t need any further adjustment.

The lower plant felt light, so I used my soil tester and was “dry+” throughout in the few test spots I put it in. The top plant still has some weight and is reading “normal” once the probe goes halfway down.

I fed the bottom plant just a few minutes ago - about a gallon, and I have another gallon ready to go for the top plant. I’ll test it again throughout the day, and if I have to wait until tomorrow, no biggie.

I did change around my humidity sensor and humidity settings a smidge. The outlet that’s controlled by the humidity sensor is now about halfway up the tent, and kicks on between 45% and 51%. I had it at 48% to 55%, but with the colder temps coming in, and having to have my pellet stove going, the humidity in the basement drops to less than 30%.

I was able to raise it to 34% before I went to bed using a few damp towels in front of the stoves blower and another small humidifier halfway across the basement.

The reason I adjusted the sensor and settings is so that I wouldn’t run out of water in my tent humidifier while I’m sleeping as it was just constantly running trying to reach 55% that it likely won’t hit during the winter.

That’s all for now :)

Healthy looking plants, keep it up!

E

elusiveshame

Almost every strain available is a hybrid at this point unless you're growing a landrace strain. It's hard to say a strain is a 60/40 vs 80/20, etc... There's definitely Sativa genetics in there with how narrow those leaves are. Bud structure is another indicator of Indica vs Sativa genetics. Indica strains tend to be denser, more compact and Sativa strains tend to be fluffier, more elongated. Phenotypes are another factor to consider. Some seeds of the same strain can exhibit more traits for one vs the other. Without having at least some sense of what you're growing it's hard to say.

Oh for sure. I know I'll never know what % of indica vs sativa there is, but I was pleasantly surprised to see narrower leaves. And yeah, I have no idea what strains or genetics these seeds came from since it was bag seed that my dealer gave me. I didn't know that about the bud structure!

Healthy looking plants, keep it up!

Thanks! I'm surprised how well they're doing considering this is my first time :)

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Oh for sure. I know I'll never know what % of indica vs sativa there is, but I was pleasantly surprised to see narrower leaves. And yeah, I have no idea what strains or genetics these seeds came from since it was bag seed that my dealer gave me. I didn't know that about the bud structure!

Thanks! I'm surprised how well they're doing considering this is my first time :)

Got yourself a green thumb for sure, many growers don't have plants like this after years of practice. If you can make it to week 5 of flower with lush green vegetation you'll be smooth sailing to the end 🤙

Top Bottom