First time grower. Please help.

• Thread starter Vivogrower43
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
V

Vivogrower43

Hey, everyone! If this information is already listed in this forum, I apologize. I just want to make sure I'm doing this right to get the best quality possible. I will be growing indoors inside my vivosun. I've got 5 strains, all auto flowering. Gelato, Purple Juice, Godzilla Cookies, Gorilla Glue #4 and Zskittles. I plan to start with GG#4 and Purple Juice. I've done a bunch of research and I may be making it out to be more difficult than it is due to anxiousness but once I germinate my seeds, what soils, nutes, stages at which I should do what, and methods do I need? I get different answers from everywhere I look. I guess I'm just looking for someone to simplify it. Please help. Thanks for any information.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Hey, everyone! If this information is already listed in this forum, I apologize. I just want to make sure I'm doing this right to get the best quality possible. I will be growing indoors inside my vivosun. I've got 5 strains, all auto flowering. Gelato, Purple Juice, Godzilla Cookies, Gorilla Glue #4 and Zskittles. I plan to start with GG#4 and Purple Juice. I've done a bunch of research and I may be making it out to be more difficult than it is due to anxiousness but once I germinate my seeds, what soils, nutes, stages at which I should do what, and methods do I need? I get different answers from everywhere I look. I guess I'm just looking for someone to simplify it. Please help. Thanks for any information.
Germ seeds. Put in soil. Water properly.

V

Vivogrower43

I figured that much. Although, from what im reading, its not THAT simple. What soil is the best type/brand? What nutes are recommended? Ive seen the FoxFarm recommended. That's the main thing I'm having troubles with. I've researched feeding/light schedules so I think I've got that part. Maybe I'm just over complicating it but I've never grown cannabis (or any plant for that matter) so I'm trying to do it right. I'm worried over/under doing things. I appreciate your input.

V

Vivogrower43

For example, I looked at SOHUM living soil that claims you don't have to feed. The claim Is that the soil has everything it needs from seed to harvest. No feeding regimen required

mancorn

mancorn

Not to be rude, but you probably don’t have a clear understanding of what living soil is or any of the concepts of microorganisms and soil food web. (It’s not just about adding slow release fertilizer to dirt.) Like any complex subject you can spend years learning about plant science. People go to collage and get masters and PhD in horticulture. So saying you’ve never done heart surgery but need info on transplanting pig hearts doesn’t make a lot of sense. (Nor will you won’t get much feedback asking such broad based questions.) On the other hand if you have specific questions, this site is a great resource. At this point just use a good quality bagged soil and one of the standard 1 or 2 bottled synthetic fertilizers, while keep everything super simple and hopefully you can harvest some buds

V

Vivogrower43

Not to be rude, but you probably don’t have a clear understanding of what living soil is or any of the concepts of microorganisms and soil food web. (It’s not just about adding slow release fertilizer to dirt.) Like any complex subject you can spend years learning about plant science. People go to collage and get masters and PhD in horticulture. So saying you’ve never done heart surgery but need info on transplanting pig hearts doesn’t make a lot of sense. (Nor will you won’t get much feedback asking such broad based questions.) On the other hand if you have specific questions, this site is a great resource. At this point just use a good quality bagged soil and one of the standard 1 or 2 bottled synthetic fertilizers, while keep everything super simple and hopefully you can harvest some buds
You are 100% correct. That's why I'm on this forum to gather information. I appreciate your input!

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I think you should start reading the section of any book that deals with your chosen grow style. For example, Ed Roesnthal is an old standby, but there are lots available,

You can download that right now and it will fill in so many blanks for you.

Once you have done that your questions will be much more specific. That's what this forum is for.

Cheers and welcome to the farm.

nothing

nothing

I think you'll find, once you initially do it, that its not that difficult. Given the seeds aren't cheap, I don't blame your apprehension. I used to first put the seeds in water for 18 hours, then put them on a plate with a paper towel and keep the seeds on the rim so they don't sit in the water the entire time. That works really well, you just have to be super delicate when you translate the germinated seed with this long white tail. I got brave one day and just started directly sowing them in good quality seed starter. I have the EXACT same germination rate now as I did before. Don't overthink it mate, i promise they'll germinate.

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Here's a practical answer. Your first crop is an experiment in learning limits. Whatever soil or nutes or lights you use, you'll have to learn what to look for in your plants as well as what people recommend. You'll likely overwater, overfeeding and overlight at some point. You'll need to learn a bunch of technical things along the way. In short, some of your best learning will come from mistakes, so plan for them.

Autos are unforgiving of mistakes. They tend not to have time to recover. I'd go with a starter crop the first time.

And take notes.

V

Vivogrower43

I think you'll find, once you initially do it, that its not that difficult. Given the seeds aren't cheap, I don't blame your apprehension. I used to first put the seeds in water for 18 hours, then put them on a plate with a paper towel and keep the seeds on the rim so they don't sit in the water the entire time. That works really well, you just have to be super delicate when you translate the germinated seed with this long white tail. I got brave one day and just started directly sowing them in good quality seed starter. I have the EXACT same germination rate now as I did before. Don't overthink it mate, i promise they'll germinate.
I appreciate your comment. I'm more stressing everything after germination but I'm just gonna go for it! It'll be what it'll be. I'll learn as I go!

V

Vivogrower43

Here's a practical answer. Your first crop is an experiment in learning limits. Whatever soil or nutes or lights you use, you'll have to learn what to look for in your plants as well as what people recommend. You'll likely overwater, overfeeding and overlight at some point. You'll need to learn a bunch of technical things along the way. In short, some of your best learning will come from mistakes, so plan for them.

Autos are unforgiving of mistakes. They tend not to have time to recover. I'd go with a starter crop the first time.

And take notes.
Thank you for this. I'm just gonna go for it and see what happens. I'll follow what I've already found and just see how it goes!

freezeland2

freezeland2

For example, I looked at SOHUM living soil that claims you don't have to feed. The claim Is that the soil has everything it needs from seed to harvest. No feeding regimen required
SOHUM is good stuff. It’s what I use.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Just don’t plant seeds directly in it. You can use cyclops method to start seeds in a pot full of SOHUM. Cyclops is basically making a depression in the soil with a solo cup. Fill the depression with starter mix and plant into that. The roots will grow in to the SOHUM when the seedling get bigger and the roots spread.

V

Vivogrower43

I ended up going with FF Ocean forest and their nute trio bc I just wasn't sure and that seemed to be the best option from a general concensus standpoint. As I stated above, I get different answers everywhere I look but that seemed to be the be favorite. I've never grown anything except helping my dad grow your average garden variety. I'll learn more as I go, through trial and error but I was trying to avoid the error part. Does SOHUM stand firm on their claims and do you have to re feed the soil or does it last the entire cycle of the plant?

freezeland2

freezeland2

I ended up going with FF Ocean forest and their nute trio bc I just wasn't sure and that seemed to be the best option from a general concensus standpoint. As I stated above, I get different answers everywhere I look but that seemed to be the be favorite. I've never grown anything except helping my dad grow your average garden variety. I'll learn more as I go, through trial and error but I was trying to avoid the error part. Does SOHUM stand firm on their claims and do you have to re feed the soil or does it last the entire cycle of the plant?
Big enough final pot and it will last entire grow. And yes it’s water only. Amend it to recycle it.

V

Vivogrower43

Just don’t plant seeds directly in it. You can use cyclops method to start seeds in a pot full of SOHUM. Cyclops is basically making a depression in the soil with a solo cup. Fill the depression with starter mix and plant into that. The roots will grow in to the SOHUM when the seedling get bigger and the roots spread.
I'll give you my products and plan that I've got at this point. I got some rapid rooter plant starters that I'm going to germinate in. I will then plant that directly into my FF soil in a 5 gallon fabric pot inside my VIVOSUN tent. I've got the FF nute trio, a myocardial supplement for the roots and some Cal-Mag just in case. I've got ph meters and plan to use the nutes at 1/4-1/2 the recommended dose after about 2-3 weeks. I'm still trying to figure out how I know when my plants change stages to adjust my nutes properly. I'll give you any info you need on my set up to help me out more. I really appreciate it.

Maxwax

Maxwax

I figured that much. Although, from what im reading, its not THAT simple. What soil is the best type/brand? What nutes are recommended? Ive seen the FoxFarm recommended. That's the main thing I'm having troubles with. I've researched feeding/light schedules so I think I've got that part. Maybe I'm just over complicating it but I've never grown cannabis (or any plant for that matter) so I'm trying to do it right. I'm worried over/under doing things. I appreciate your input.
Use the KISS method for your first grow.

Maxwax

Maxwax

Thats your first mistake. Had you read a few threads here youd see FF Ocean Forest is NOT for first timers. If you can switch to FF Happy Frog or a more basic soil youll be better off.

V

Vivogrower43

Actually. Add in proper light and Its just that simple. Use the KISS method for your first grow.
I've got the light that came with my kit. It's the VIVOSUN VS1000. I plan to run it at 12/12. If you have other suggestions, please feel free to share. I appreciate your comment

Top Bottom