First time grower. What you guys think?

• Thread starter Rolandomota
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hidd3nGr0w

Hidd3nGr0w

Just putting this out there, does your water run off get wicked back up into the plant, or does it stay in the tray you are collecting it in? Example, if I water the plant to run off and there is 1/4 inch water in the collection tray and I come back a hour later and its gone, that was a dry plant. If I do the same thing and the water is still there after an hour, and up to 24hrs later, its over watered and I need to pour out the run off.
Why are you watering to run off? I do it to expand the plants roots. By saturating the soil and allowing it to dry I am forcing the plant to seek water, expanding the root zone and I only do it every other week. Water to run off, let it dry 4-5 days and then small watering around the outside edges of the pot till I am ready to do it again. Watering like that through veg and flower weeks 2, 4, and 6.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
@CosmoGrows Your plant has indica leaning traits like compact bushy growth with big fan leaves. When you water your changing the root pressure and transpiration rates so those big leaves can get heavy until the plant balances it all back out. You can get a cheap pet store thermometer for about $5 just to check the water temp. I'm not gonna say its needed by any means but doesn't hurt

See this is what i thought/heard, okay thanks aqua!

Just putting this out there, does your water run off get wicked back up into the plant, or does it stay in the tray you are collecting it in? Example, if I water the plant to run off and there is 1/4 inch water in the collection tray and I come back a hour later and its gone, that was a dry plant. If I do the same thing and the water is still there after an hour, and up to 24hrs later, its over watered and I need to pour out the run off.
Why are you watering to run off? I do it to expand the plants roots. By saturating the soil and allowing it to dry I am forcing the plant to seek water, expanding the root zone and I only do it every other week. Water to run off, let it dry 4-5 days and then small watering around the outside edges of the pot till I am ready to do it again. Watering like that through veg and flower weeks 2, 4, and 6.

I remove the run off, i dont allow the plant to drink it, heard i shouldnt?

Because im pretty sure everyone on this forum has told me to water to run off. I planned to switch things up next time though,when i was watering this pot, it felt nice and heavy, and i felt good about where it was watered at. but i had no run off, so i watered more. i think when i watered more, because i had no run off, trying to obtain runoff, i overwatered the plant maybe just a little. I dont know though, its been quite the game. Next time im going to stop when get that gut feeling im good, like last time.But who knows.

Heres the timeline:
20 mins after water
20191118 233827

hour after water
20191119 012735 1

3 hours later, looks healthier
Screenshot 20191119 022926 1

Just now, roughly 8-10 hours after watering, ugh, this watering thing is so damn hard. Lol.

20191119 131719

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
Next time i water, i am only going to water until the pot is saturated. No run off. Im going to see how that works.

Rolandomota

Rolandomota

Next time i water, i am only going to water until the pot is saturated. No run off. Im going to see how that works.
Just what I do when I water is when the soil is dry I squeeze my pot a lil so the soil kinda cracks for better lack of correct word. You know just fluff the pots then I water the center then work my way out o water enough to where the bottom of the pot get a lil damp. The I wait a lil fluff pots again then I water till I get good run off. I water in my tub on a rack. Once I get good run off I allow them to drip enough to get the pots back in my tent with out dripping everywhere on the way. That's just me tho.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
Now, the plant is in a two gallon pot, and should probably still be in a one gallon. does the fact i have it in a bigger pot than it prbably should be effect my watering? the plant seems like its drinking faster too. dried this time in like 3-4 days. compared to the week it was. Also, have humidity and temp dialed in a little bit better, figured the air was drying it out more efficiently. Idk. maybe im just stoned and thinking.

Also wondering if adding perlite for more drainage would help me.

Just what I do when I water is when the soil is dry I squeeze my pot a lil so the soil kinda cracks for better lack of correct word. You know just fluff the pots then I water the center then work my way out o water enough to where the bottom of the pot get a lil damp. The I wait a lil fluff pots again then I water till I get good run off. I water in my tub on a rack. Once I get good run off I allow them to drip enough to get the pots back in my tent with out dripping everywhere on the way. That's just me tho.

do you get any droop at all afterward?

Rolandomota

Rolandomota

Now, the plant is in a two gallon pot, and should probably still be in a one gallon. does the fact i have it in a bigger pot than it prbably should be effect my watering? the plant seems like its drinking faster too. dried this time in like 3-4 days. compared to the week it was. Also, have humidity and temp dialed in a little bit better, figured the air was drying it out more efficiently. Idk. maybe im just stoned and thinking.

Also wondering if adding perlite for more drainage would help me.

do you get any droop at all afterward?
I've never really paid much attention to the but I'm thinking I've gotten a lil I'll be able to check here in a few days. Mine are in a 2 gallon pot also. I was told to let them dry out really good and maybe give it a day that way roots will grow and move to seek out water. So that's what I do now. When I water I'll keep a eye on it bud.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Have you been feeding them recently? If not start with 1/2 tsp of grow big and big bloom into 1 gal of water. Then measure the ppm.

Feed, water, feed, water.

I have not used these nutes but going by a mix of gut feeling and manufactures recommendations. Maybe some who has used these can tell you a better way but that's how I would start out after 1 fees and water cycle should be able to see how they are taking it.

How of ten are you watering now?

Rolandomota

Rolandomota

Have you been feeding them recently? If not start with 1/2 tsp of grow big and big bloom into 1 gal of water. Then measure the ppm.

Feed, water, feed, water.

I have not used these nutes but going by a mix of gut feeling and manufactures recommendations. Maybe some who has used these can tell you a better way but that's how I would start out after 1 fees and water cycle should be able to see how they are taking it.

How of ten are you watering now?
So last time my wife watred and then when I transplanted I just used plain old water. So they have not had any feeding for a good lil while.
Also my plants are 5.5 weeks old since they were planted till now. So how does one figure out how long they are seedlings and how long I have been in veg?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So last time my wife watred and then when I transplanted I just used plain old water. So they have not had any feeding for a good lil while.
Also my plants are 5.5 weeks old since they were planted till now. So how does one figure out how long they are seedlings and how long I have been in veg?
That's not important in my view. But to answer I view seedlings and clones about 10-14 days. Then veg and after flip to 12/12 it flower. So you have been vegging about 3.5 weeks.

Rolandomota

Rolandomota

That's not important in my view. But to answer I view seedlings and clones about 10-14 days. Then veg and after flip to 12/12 it flower. So you have been vegging about 3.5 weeks.
Ok cool cool yeah I always wanted to know that info. Thanks for the response.now bbn I just wait to see who uses fox farm stuff for food lmao. What do you use bud.

Top Bottom