Fogponics. As good or better than Hydro?

• Thread starter Moe.Red
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moshmen

Moshmen

Folks, I'm taking a break. I'll see ya when I see ya. I got enough stress in my life to come here and get another helping, so I'm done for a while. No, not this thread, just in general.

@Moshmen I'll text you this weekend to work out the clone shipping thing. @SweetLeafGrow you know how to reach me if you need help with your PH.

✌️
Everyone needs a break brother and I been burning at both ends ! Break well deserved

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Been a ball buster of a couple of months. Got pretty sick for a minute there and gave up on the stuff I was growing. Thanks to a little automation, at least I didn't kill everything.

Still taking a big step back until I come out the other end of this, but hope to do that soon. Still have several tests ahead in the next 2 weeks, should be more solid and have a plan once that stuff is done.

For now, I just don't have it in me to design on the fly and play with all the cool toys. I've gone back to the old school tried and true RWDC for the stuff I want to finish out. It's easy, reliable, and I don't really have to do much to that system any more. Fits my current needs well.

Once I'm back on my feet fully, I'll do this fog up right again. I really loved watching this process, for some reason it was more "fun" than standard hydro if that makes sense? Ballistic growth. So much so that the roots were so big the plant could not be moved - they would not fit thru the hole up top. So I have some changes to make before I restart this up.

Cheers everyone, and have a happy Thanksgiving if you are in the US. If you aren't, please feel free to eat the bird anyhow 🖕 😘

Moshmen

Moshmen

You too man. Hopefully your case of cheese dick is almost over too and you are back at it.

Did the Durban clones I sent you survive?
I’m back up a little limp but gettin there! lol - nah I didn’t have the heart to tell but since ya asked no they were just to wet when they arrived - no big deal- so I have an even better idea I 🤔 I’ll get with ya later. Hopefully you’ve slowed down just a touch? Life is short stop and smell your flowers

CruelSun

CruelSun

I really loved watching this process, for some reason it was more "fun" than standard hydro if that makes sense? Ballistic growth. So much so that the roots were so big the plant could not be moved - they would not fit thru the hole up top.
@Moe.Red Thank you For this thread and all your efforts here! I hope your situation continues to improve.
@Aqua Man thank you for your contributions to this thread, the subject experiment and all of your efforts here.

I am a gardener and cannabis enthusiast. I have grown cannabis outdoors the past 2 summers here in downstate NY with some success and I have decided to do an indoor hydro grow this winter.

I found this thread while searching for info on the use of nutrient fog in cannabis cultivation. After reading the entire thread I was saddened to see your post of Oct 28. I am glad to see your situation has improved somewhat and hopeful that this worthy experiment may proceed someday.

I will be posting a grow thread of my own to solicit advice on a variety of topics.

Fifteen years ago I did an indoor hydro grow as a project with my teenage son. We grew leaf lettuce and other salad greens. We started with a DWC raft, then a few DWC tubs with net pots hanging from holes in the lid. On several trips to the hydro store, I was awed by their side-by-side display of two DWC grows. One was standard DWC and the other had much lower water volume with the resulting air gap pumped full of nutrient fog. The difference in the growth rates was stark.
I purchased a 6 disk fogger and made a DIY fog box to emulate the hydro store's display. Within a few weeks, the growth rate of our greens exploded exponentially. I tried to lift a net pot out of it's hole and found that the root system had grown into a gigantic cottony mass of roots and root hairs that would no longer fit through the hole.

I want to try to use a similar system in my upcoming cannabis grow.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

@Moe.Red Thank you For this thread and all your efforts here! I hope your situation continues to improve.
@Aqua Man thank you for your contributions to this thread, the subject experiment and all of your efforts here.

I am a gardener and cannabis enthusiast. I have grown cannabis outdoors the past 2 summers here in downstate NY with some success and I have decided to do an indoor hydro grow this winter.

I found this thread while searching for info on the use of nutrient fog in cannabis cultivation. After reading the entire thread I was saddened to see your post of Oct 28. I am glad to see your situation has improved somewhat and hopeful that this worthy experiment may proceed someday.

I will be posting a grow thread of my own to solicit advice on a variety of topics.

Fifteen years ago I did an indoor hydro grow as a project with my teenage son. We grew leaf lettuce and other salad greens. We started with a DWC raft, then a few DWC tubs with net pots hanging from holes in the lid. On several trips to the hydro store, I was awed by their side-by-side display of two DWC grows. One was standard DWC and the other had much lower water volume with the resulting air gap pumped full of nutrient fog. The difference in the growth rates was stark.
I purchased a 6 disk fogger and made a DIY fog box to emulate the hydro store's display. Within a few weeks, the growth rate of our greens exploded exponentially. I tried to lift a net pot out of it's hole and found that the root system had grown into a gigantic cottony mass of roots and root hairs that would no longer fit through the hole.

I want to try to use a similar system in my upcoming cannabis grow.
Welcome.

I'm not done with Fog, just paused. There are changes I need to make before I start back up. For example, when the plants get bigger, it becomes impossible to lift them up because the roots are too big for the holes I made. This make maintenance virtually impossible - an major oversight on my part. I had to cut the roots off to get them out of the system. 🤬 The small net pots are tipping over as the plants get top heavy, and this results in light leaks into the res and O2 escape. This needs to be resolved. I am wasting a lot of nutes with my lack of recirculation of the source water. I have a clever design on the board to fix that, just need to implement before I restart.

So yeah, once I'm back on my feet fully I will come back and address these issues and start grow #2 in this system and post it up. What I can say is this was turning out to be an amazing grow before I shit the bed with it. This system works. I really like the lighting too, first time using the raging kush 2 for me.

I think I figured out and addressed all the other shortcomings of my design already. Heat, nute PPM / delivery, O2, and ability to measure and control with software has all been sorted out.

CruelSun

CruelSun

For example, when the plants get bigger, it becomes impossible to lift them up because the roots are too big for the holes I made.
I had exactly the same problem but never needed to take the plants out as they are only about a foot tall, They never fell over.

Don't have a solid plan yet for my upcoming grow. Still looking for all the parts to the fogger system I created 15 years ago. Not done cleaning out my basement...
The preliminary plan is to use DWC or RDWC x 4 in 5 gallon buckets with net pot lids and leave a large air gap for fog. Just like I did with the lettuce grow. Should be fun. I do not have facilities to add oxygen but it could be made to happen on a future grow, if it's that beneficial.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I had exactly the same problem but never needed to take the plants out as they are only about a foot tall, They never fell over.

Don't have a solid plan yet for my upcoming grow. Still looking for all the parts to the fogger system I created 15 years ago. Not done cleaning out my basement...
The preliminary plan is to use DWC or RDWC x 4 in 5 gallon buckets with net pot lids and leave a large air gap for fog. Just like I did with the lettuce grow. Should be fun. I do not have facilities to add oxygen but it could be made to happen on a future grow, if it's that beneficial.
If you want to do a hybrid model, you can put your ultrasonics in a float.

Float

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Well growmies, it's been a minute. I'm not back to this yet, but I'm on my way. After seeing the plant @SweetLeafGrow is doing with @Dragonsflame genetics, I got a little inspired. I just placed an order with Jeff to fill my fog tent with 8 feminized

Mac Dragon Bx-1​

Cant wait to get this system started back up. Gonna do some tweaks, run Jack's from start to finish, and overall get jiggy with it. 🕺💃

More to come soon!

JerzeyMike

JerzeyMike

I feel your pain Moe. It is -8 here. My semi insulated, and barely heated garage got cold last night. How much temperature swing due you think it would take to hermi a plant?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I feel your pain Moe. It is -8 here. My semi insulated, and barely heated garage got cold last night. How much temperature swing due you think it would take to hermi a plant?
Good question but hard to answer. Some genetics are predisposed and some are solid.

Temp can stress them for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom