Frankster's Diagnostic Helpline; post your problem child here.

• Thread starter Frankster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
1st grow.
Sour Diesel Strain
First time on this website
I was at first growing two plants but after my first plant got topped I immediately saw signs my plant was not happy. I have another plant that I still grow but she is showing signs of the earlier plant. The first plant that showed signs of stress I got rid of thinking it was maybe root rot but after going through and looking at the roots, the roots were looking very healthy and very white. The plants are showing signs of stunted growth and curling of leaves (clawing). Only newer growth is showing these signs of stress where on the other hand older leaves seem to be dying off on the bottom part of the plant. There seems to be very little growth and they have been in flower cycle for about two weeks.

- Light cycle before flower cycle was 18/6
- Light cycle is 12/12
- Watering is from a run off barrel off the back of the house and the PH is around 6.2 to 6.9 with cheap testers I have
- Temp is normally around 74-80 degrees Fahrenheit and humidity around 30-40
- 450w Viparspectra LED
- Soil is Fox Farm Potting Soil
- I water when dry but do get attached to plants and sometimes get carried away with how much water they need.
- I have fan in there running at all times
- I also have a Vivo Sun Air Filter
-Vivo Sun grow tent
- Plastic five gallon buckets with drainage holes ( moving to 5 gallon fabric pots after this grow)

Thank you in advance. I found out I really like growing these plants but I am getting discouraged by the results. I am also on a budget so I might not have all the tools I need.

View attachment 1191427View attachment 1191428View attachment 1191432View attachment 1191429View attachment 1191431View attachment 1191430
Extreme Sulfur deficiency, 🤓or possibly some other micro metal deficiency. Such as Iron, or manganese. My first guess is Sulfur. Need to see the plant in full spectrum white light. That might be more helpful.

Epsom (magnesium sulfate) 1 tbsp per L/ spray. I usually say 1tsp per L, but in this case, go liberal. 😁

Last edited:
C

Crazychug

Extreme Sulfur deficiency, 🤓or possibly some other micro metal deficiency. Such as Iron, or manganese. My first guess is Sulfur. Need to see the plant in full spectrum white light. That might be more helpful.

Epsom (magnesium sulfate) 1 tbsp per L/ spray. I usually say 1tsp per L, but in this case, go liberal. 😁
IMG 1788
IMG 1789
IMG 1794
IMG 1790
IMG 1792

IMG 1794
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Yea, mostly a sulfur issue, looks like. Epsom salts; spray.

Agreed; That's the course I would take. Looks like it got stuck in early flower, cause of what happened. I would dial the lights back a tad; maybe increase to 24/7 again; give them the mag/sulfate, and nurse them back to health, then re-flip once there back on solid ground.

There certainly somewhere in the in-between zone, flower set never quite took. I think they are somewhere along a re-veg cycle; or never fully flowered cycle; agreed.

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Some reveggies; of interesting phenotypes. That little one is really special IMO. This group is getting feminized across the board. It's going to be a vegetarian lesbian sexor festival. 😁 Shotgun wedding with far Indica leaning (Gorilla; Blueberry) & Landrace Sativa. (Thai). all directions;>^<

IMG 20211208 052022693

Last edited:
Moshmen

Moshmen

Some reveggies; of interesting phenotypes. That little one is really special IMO. This group is getting feminized across the board. It's going to be a vegetarian lesbian sexor festival. 😁 Shotgun wedding with far Indica leaning (Gorilla; Blueberry) & Landrace Sativa. (Thai). all directions;>^<

View attachment 1195413
I’ll b poppin a couple more of those Thai seeds- have you had a chance to flower here yet? Looks real close to the pheno I lost

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
What’s goin on here?
My guess there would be 2 fold. Calcium deficit; mixed with possibly Mag deficiency. It something that happens to the lower half occasionally. It's well in check now; but seems to be a recurrent issue sometimes early on; with some strains. I think it might be encouraged by cold intolerance, perhaps.

Or it could be encouraged by ratio of some other metal, possibly. (or trace substance); pH. ie. A mild partial phosphate, or potassium excess. It all seems plausible on some level. I've yet to nail it down precisely; as the cause.

But the rust spotting and interveinal chlorosis are very clear examples.

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I’ll b poppin a couple more of those Thai seeds- have you had a chance to flower here yet? Looks real close to the pheno I lost
She's just going into flower now actually. Last few days. Two of them in there, I cut one back before I flipped it, actually, was getting too big.

I think what I'm going to do here is manufacture feminized pollens, collect the rest, and store, or send to anyone (feminized) Then flip it back; reveg and collect more clones. I'd like to use this one for outdoor projects going forward, Should tower above almost anything; if I can get it in the right spot. I firmly believe this plant is capable of 40 foot, and creeper roots; cause it's so very easily cloned.

He say's it's the best thai he's ever had in 15 years; and I honestly believe it. You and I know it's legit as it gets; no question about it's authenticity 🤫 . The pheno is indeed very smelly, even while in veg. It certainly can't be tamed indoors where I'm at, that's impossible. 😂 It's a monster waiting to bust out. It's going to be a true beast in the right spot. 😍

Just needs to make the journey intact; and that's the main challenge with a long flowering strain like this, IMO. Keeping it on the rails twice the time we do with shorter flowering strains. That's why it's being bred to the Gorilla; Old Blueberry and a short flowering mystery OG first. I might touch a little on some of the Purple Punch; Rude boi OG and White Tahoe cookies as well. But only along the bottoms. Need to keep good containment on this; so I don't spoil my other grow being flowered. I'm sure they'll probably be a little crossover, but I'm not too worried.
IMG 20211208 052058189

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter

Would you let the system make you kill your brotherman?
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, dread, no
Would you make the system make you kill your brotherman?
(No, dread, no)
Would you make the system get on top of your head again?
(No, dread, no!)
Well, the biggest man you ever did see was was just a baby
In this life (in this life)

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Hi. This is a plant in a dutch bucket hydro setup. Any ideas? 🤢
@growingyeti agreed; more information is helpful.

Looking off the top of my head; I see extreme mag & sulfur deficiency there. I would foliar spray with 2tsp per L epsom salts (magnesium sulfate). Looks like too high humidity also, and PM (powdery mildew). That can be solved with lactobacillus; Here:

How to Make Lactobacillus​

Materials Needed​

• Rice
  • Water (nonchlorinated)
  • Milk (unpasteurized is best, organic whole milk if raw milk is unavailable)
  • Molasses/brown sugar
  • Mesh strainer
  • Glass Jars
  • Cheesecloth

How to Make a Rice Wash​

1. Fill half of a jar with rice (I use white but any will work) then fill the rest of the way with water.
  2. Let this soak for about 20 minutes and shake a few times. The water should become cloudy.
  3. Next, strain the water into another jar, cover with cheesecloth and a rubber band. This now needs to sit for 4-7 days depending on temps.
We are looking for the rice wash to separate into 3 different layers and have a bit of a sour smell. The top layer is mostly mold, the middle layer is lactobacillus and other bacteria (what we want) and the bottom layer is starches and other byproducts of the process.

Culturing Lactobacillus​

1. Siphon off the middle layer into a new jar or container that is much larger than the original.
  2. This is because we will now mix the middle layer with 10 parts of milk. Using milk ensures the lacto is the dominating bacteria. For example, 1 cup of rice serum needs 10 cups of milk.
  3. Now, this mixture will sit for about a week depending on the temps. I cover with the mason jar lid but I don’t seal it. There can be some bubbling during this process and overflow might occur.
  4. After about a week you’ll notice it has separated into 2 layers. The top will be a large curd consisting of carbohydrates, fats, and protein. The bottom layer will be a yellowish color and this is what we want.
  5. You can either siphon the bottom layer out or scoop out the curds and strain the remaining serum using a fine mesh strainer. The curds are great for animals, soil, or compost piles. (My dogs love them!)
  6. You can stop here and refrigerate the serum in a sealed jar and activate it when needed.
Or, what I prefer is to activate right away and then store.

Activating Your Lactobacillus​

1. Mix at a 1:1 ratio with molasses or brown sugar. I usually use molasses. So 5 cups of serum would be mixed with 5 cups of molasses and then stirred until it is all mixed together.
  2. Seal that and keep it at room temps (should keep for close to a year) or store in the refrigerator for longer life as it slows down the activity of the lactobacillus.
  3. This is further diluted when you want to use it. Typically 1:1000. I like to use 1 part serum to 20 parts clean water, then use 1-2 tbsp per gallon of water. The diluted serum will stay good for weeks even months if kept in the fridge.
This serum is perfect for making organic nutrients more immediately available. For example, if I make a kelp tea I will add 1-2tbsp of LABS per gallon the day before using and let it sit, stirring a couple of times. This will allow the lactobacillus to start breaking down the kelp into a useable form more readily available for uptake.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I would check pH before anything. There are too many issues showing to be just one thing.
Yea, agree to a point. Any one thing ignored long enough will eventually come to a dead standstill. It could very well be one element. It could be locked somehow; it's really difficult to say.

I do think that grow is going to be difficult to revive; salvage. As much as it pains me to say it, sometimes it worth considering bagging it; starting fresh. Try and learn not what to do next time around, seek help earlier. I think it's worth considering in this case.

Those flowers appear locked into a death spiral. Stuff can; and does go downhill fast.

Top Bottom