Frankster's Diagnostic Helpline; post your problem child here.

• Thread starter Frankster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Heeey..i got one for you..its my own problem i have with the plants not uptaking water but are taking up the nutrients..its basically started 2 weeks or so ago.

Im at day 39 in flower 4 gal watering once a day.max temp lights on was 27 deg c ..rh between 52% -62% ..lights off temps between 22deg c up to 26deg c but mostly around 23-24.5 rh average 56% .leaf temps 22.5-25.7 feeding 510 ppm at 5.8-60.runoff is under what im giving them between 50 on one to 200 on another.plants looks dark considering and had white tips which are yellow..ive had this every grow hence why i cant feed them more as not taking up equal amounts of water to nutrients..ive backed off the heat a little down to mm 26deg now (extraction fan comes on at 26.3) id say its got to do with this vpd shit or the intensity of the light..i cant lift it up anymore either....light is lumatek zues pro 600w led..
cheers in advance
Yea, knowing more about the light would enlighten us. But spectrum is a huge part of the grow cycle, plus intensity. Ensuring good RH, temps, ventilation.

Water usually slows down some around week 5-6, so that's not unusual in itself, I don't feel. Plants might be finishing up earlier than others, perhaps. That's largely strain dependent. I usually see slowdown a few weeks before harvest, minimum.

I would also look at fluvics/humics, saponin and perhaps even something like 1-Triacontanol, if it was taken to extreme. Water dynamics is a big issue in flowering, and that's why I use microbials, enzymes, acids, secondary metabolites and all of the above to build a wide base upon which water dynamics are maximized.

Keeping our plants healthy, and in play as long as possible really adds that special something, IMO.

Madmax

Madmax

Thanks for replying buddy..im pretty sure canna boost has triacontanol and have been using professors go roots which has humic acid added..im using rapidled far red initiation pucks so they speed up the budding process by a week..the thing is the plants shouldnt b as dark as they are .its week 5 and 5 days but but i dont add the days they wernt budding.so really im up to day 30 and havnt been drinking for 2 weeks easy..so its happened early in flower..still have 4 week of an 8-9 week flower cycle...someone els must b going through this surely.i know theres another guy with same symtoms on leaf tip but his ph out is low and ppm of runoff is high...mines the complete opposite...heres some info on the light.
Screenshot 20211108 203008
Screenshot 20211108 203130

VBSwift

VBSwift

First time grower, first timer problems:
Noticed our girl is starting to have issues. Leaves yellowing, from the bottom up, which makes me believe it’s nutritional. We have had a consistent watering routine, to be honest, it’s when I do a knuckle check and it seems like she might be thirsty. I’m staring to wonder if nutritionally, the soil is fading. Just added worm castings. The soil itself is a 50/50 mushroom/soil blend, and our home compost mixed in.

I added a photos of one of our flowers, we are about 5 weeks into the flowering stage. Wife
e got a little happy with trimming, that’s why it looks so bare.

30583315 D822 47BA B179 351665EC38EC
42E6D1EA D725 4BEA 8394 D2566BA222B8
ED811A87 5C60 4632 A08D 04BAC20C07CC
8DCF431D 88C1 4AF3 BAF5 3A68CB093977
241A3DAB 15F5 435E B482 80DD421E7555
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Thanks for replying buddy..im pretty sure canna boost has triacontanol and have been using professors go roots which has humic acid added..im using rapidled far red initiation pucks so they speed up the budding process by a week..the thing is the plants shouldnt b as dark as they are .its week 5 and 5 days but but i dont add the days they wernt budding.so really im up to day 30 and havnt been drinking for 2 weeks easy..so its happened early in flower..still have 4 week of an 8-9 week flower cycle...someone els must b going through this surely.i know theres another guy with same symtoms on leaf tip but his ph out is low and ppm of runoff is high...mines the complete opposite...heres some info on the light.View attachment 1186502View attachment 1186503
That's a nice light, and you seem to have everything in line, it appears. Perhaps they are running fast and finishing up quick.
Thanks for replying buddy..im pretty sure canna boost has triacontanol and have been using professors go roots which has humic acid added..im using rapidled far red initiation pucks so they speed up the budding process by a week..the thing is the plants shouldnt b as dark as they are .its week 5 and 5 days but but i dont add the days they wernt budding.so really im up to day 30 and havnt been drinking for 2 weeks easy..so its happened early in flower..still have 4 week of an 8-9 week flower cycle...someone els must b going through this surely.i know theres another guy with same symtoms on leaf tip but his ph out is low and ppm of runoff is high...mines the complete opposite...heres some info on the light.View attachment 1186502View attachment 1186503
Yea, just looking at some of your plants there; If I'm looking at this right, I think your just getting over the hump and it's just running that fast, actually. From what I see up there of yours, you look really good. If your getting any changing colors about now; I would continue to let it fade slowly, but not too fast. Also, If your getting really thick in there, you might want to think about thinning a few strategic fans, so you can get good penetration down to that bottom layer, and start hardening it all up top to bottom.

There's a few ways to go about that one. Leave it how it is, and take off the top layer once it ripens, then let the bottom harden. Whatever you do, be careful not to neglect those bottom buds, so they don't turn to larf. When things get really thick; it can be difficult to manage.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
First time grower, first timer problems:
Noticed our girl is starting to have issues. Leaves yellowing, from the bottom up, which makes me believe it’s nutritional. We have had a consistent watering routine, to be honest, it’s when I do a knuckle check and it seems like she might be thirsty. I’m staring to wonder if nutritionally, the soil is fading. Just added worm castings. The soil itself is a 50/50 mushroom/soil blend, and our home compost mixed in.

I added a photos of one of our flowers, we are about 5 weeks into the flowering stage. Wife
e got a little happy with trimming, that’s why it looks so bare.
If you can see it in the bottom worse, and then it's gradually fading up from there, your exactly right. N would be the culprit. It also could be a light issue, perhaps, depending on how much penetration your getting down there.

As your plants/buds thicken, some of the under canopy loses what little light is keeping it green. Depending on density. So that's always something that can occur and might appear as a nutrient issue, but it's more a natural progression of the grow. That said, I do think you've got a slight N issue going on there, but where your at in the grow, is very fragile, so proceed with great caution.

I certainly wouldn't take any extreme action, but the casings are likely enough N. Don't overdo, cause you certainly don't want it to re-veg, that would be very bad. In this situation; next time around, I would recommend something like kelp, instead. IMO, it's a better organic source of what your needing right now. But the casings should be sufficient.

Mag, and sulfur are in play right now also. So keep one in mind; Looks like Mg+ might also be somehow involved in this too.

Last edited:
growsince79

growsince79

My problem is bugs. I thought they were gnats, but now I'm pretty sure it's root aphids. It's weird because I don't see any larve or signs of wingless nymphs. I took a scoop of soil out of a already open but taped shut bag of soil, soaked it, and put it in a ziplock so no new bugs could get in. I know you say ahha the bag had already been open. That's true but the plants I used it on first are infested at the other end of the house. Anyways after 3 days I saw bugs. I caught one and it already has wings. Been researching gnat and RA life cycles and trying to figure out whats up. It's all in this thread.

They're really bad in the flower room. First I used mosquito dunks then pyrethrin to the new ones. I'm not sure I should do anything with the ones close to harvest. The problem could be forever. IDK what do you think. Appreciate your help.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
My problem is bugs. I thought they were gnats, but now I'm pretty sure it's root aphids. It's weird because I don't see any larve or signs of wingless nymphs. I took a scoop of soil out of a already open but taped shut bag of soil, soaked it, and put it in a ziplock so no new bugs could get in. I know you say ahha the bag had already been open. That's true but the plants I used it on first are infested at the other end of the house. Anyways after 3 days I saw bugs. I caught one and it already has wings. Been researching gnat and RA life cycles and trying to figure out whats up. It's all in this thread.

They're really bad in the flower room. First I used mosquito dunks then pyrethrin to the new ones. I'm not sure I should do anything with the ones close to harvest. The problem could be forever. IDK what do you think. Appreciate your help.
Bugs are always a thorny subject; correct identification is key.
This is what I recommend 79; based on what you've shown so far. ie. Short of throwing all your soil and plants out, starting over. 😅 Seriously, though, perhaps you can beat this. You've certainly got the experience to pull it off.

Looks like you've already did the Diatomaceous Earth thing. These things require patience, and multipronged approach. If gnats are involved, the purecrop1 or Glycerin would be helpful also. Ensure good dry cycling; Just stay on top of them, hopefully there not your worst fears. Nematodes work very well against fungus gnats.

Try to get some up close pictures, if possible; so we can identify. If it's truly root aphids; that's a terminal issue, IMO. Or perhaps, try and ride them out, but it's an uphill battle.

If it's fungus gnats; These are probably one of the best solutions, IMO. Cause you can inoculate your soil's, and your covered going forward. Just keep them in play, by recycling some of your substrate. Lowering RH might also work in your favor, and might be worth a try, if feasible. Fans, increased air flow, ect.

Against bugs in general;
High pH glycerin usp, 1tbsp/L say 7.5-8 is ideal, for preventing fungus. I usually add a small tad of potassium hydroxide, or calcium hydroxide. If I want to zap the bugs good, (in veg) I use something like a bit of citric acid, or ascorbic acid (better) then, pH balance back up where I want it with an anions. (ie. KOH) But doing that in soil is problematic. Only advised above the canopy.

Last edited:
growsince79

growsince79

Bugs are always a thorny subject; correct identification is key.
This is what I recommend 79; based on what you've shown so far. ie. Short of throwing all your soil and plants out, starting over. 😅 Seriously, though, perhaps you can beat this.

Looks like you've already did the Diatomaceous Earth thing. These things require patience, and multipronged approach. If gnats are involved, the purecrop1 would be helpful also. Ensure good dry cycling; Just stay on top of them, hopefully there not your worst fears.

Try to get some up close pictures, if possible; so we can identify.
My camera can't get good pics. But based on what I see, they can't be gnats. They have no larve, they just hatch and already have wings. Really tiny bastards. They hardly ever fly, even though they can. They don't hang out on top of the soil like gnats. They go in and out the bottom holes and hardly ever fly. The worst thing is they fuck shit up more than gnats can ever dream of. I'm going to fabric pots now so they can't get in the bottom and using gnatnix on top. And yeah, I'm thinking about tossing everything and bombing the house. Problem is Oklahoma sucks and every time you open the door more bad shit finds a way in.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
My camera can't get good pics. But based on what I see, they can't be gnats. They have no larve, they just hatch and already have wings. Really tiny bastards. They hardly ever fly, even though they can. They don't hang out on top of the soil like gnats. They go in and out the bottom holes and hardly ever fly. The worst thing is they fuck shit up more than gnats can ever dream of. I'm going to fabric pots now so they can't get in the bottom and using gnatnix on top. And yeah, I'm thinking about tossing everything and bombing the house. Problem is Oklahoma sucks and every time you open the door more bad shit finds a way in.
Well going to air pots could eliminate the issue, so can airflow (lots of it) and low RH. If they have no shelter, they got nothing; and the plant loves all of those conditions, for the most part. So that's some of the approach i would be taking, lowering it at least as low as the plant can comfortably tolerate.

I suggest moving those pots out some more, get some better penetration, and perhaps try to get them elevated on something that's giving them air flow underneath, (grate, or milk crate) on the bottoms. Blow air in all those zones, if possible. Blast them fucks, with fresh dry air, lots of it.

I personally keep 4 fans on the floor of my 4x4 grow room. In a giant whirlwind. I've got both 4 and 6 inch. Just don't get all blazed and confused, and put your fingers in them; when your fucking with shit. 🤒 Don't take one for the team.

IMG 20211108 213233460
Last edited:
Treecutter

Treecutter

Yeah sounds much like me, to be fair or was a genuine pain in the ass with the Mars Hydro needing half hour fiddling every three days when they just decided one or more boards would not come on. But changing lights right near the end of flower, such a simple mistake to forget which powerboard is which. My next grow will incorporate all the things I've learned this grow and the setup will be so much more foolproof (meproof hehe). Thanks for the reassurance, I have been constantly surprised at how much they will take. I'm sure as @Frankster says a one off is not great but preferable to long term stress. She'll get her 12 hours now and we'll just get back on track. Just another chance to learn. Hopefully the class is not expensive. Goddamn student debt...
I pulled the female jacks on my Mars hydro boards and soldered the wires directly to the board because of this issue. Solder joints on the jacks were coming apart.

growsince79

growsince79

Oh I forgot to ask. Is there a third possibility- its not gnats or RRA

Madmax

Madmax

That's a nice light, and you seem to have everything in line, it appears. Perhaps they are running fast and finishing up quick.

Yea, just looking at some of your plants there; If I'm looking at this right, I think your just getting over the hump and it's just running that fast, actually. From what I see up there of yours, you look really good. If your getting any changing colors about now; I would continue to let it fade slowly, but not too fast. Also, If your getting really thick in there, you might want to think about thinning a few strategic fans, so you can get good penetration down to that bottom layer, and start hardening it all up top to bottom.

There's a few ways to go about that one. Leave it how it is, and take off the top layer once it ripens, then let the bottom harden. Whatever you do, be careful not to neglect those bottom buds, so they don't turn to larf. When things get really thick; it can be difficult to manage.
Your spoton with the fans on one especially the punchline shes pretty thick and how i bent the top 2 branches out it shaded the others below.ive taken quite abit off ..shes just that thick .i might have to take more off...thanks for the help Frankster 👍

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Your spoton with the fans on one especially the punchline shes pretty thick and how i bent the top 2 branches out it shaded the others below.ive taken quite abit off ..shes just that thick .i might have to take more off...thanks for the help Frankster 👍
@Madmax

So much is just technique, and collaboration bro. Exploring, expanding the possibilities.. simple humility, with no real ego involved. brutal honesty about one self acumen..

Looking at our issues with humility; and a willingness to attempt something different sometimes. Staying with what works; and being consistent. But letting go of bad habits. I see so many people growing such fantastic weed in so many extremely different diverse ways, under many different constraints. Plus, I see the occasional fallibility of others I've come to admire. Were all always one step away from disaster, really. lol. 🙄 It lurks everywhere.

People who've been growing for awhile; or having some success at it tend to reach a plateau, (old farts, like me anyhow) then we all end up somewhere around here; in the middle; making some good hauls, and doing what works for us well. Or Playing it safe....We paint ourselves into a corner, so to speak. Each within there own grow style.

So learning new
, and towing the line is kind of at odds with one another to some extent. The really innovative growers IMO, push there boundaries. aspire to learn something new. There's simply so many things to learn. A few lifetimes worth, probably.

Last edited:
BionicKroniK

BionicKroniK

Okaaay Frankie...Here's one of our problem child below...🧐🤪😂
*Note: Every node has a weird looking leaf. 🤔🙃

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Okaaay Frankie...Here's one of our problem child below...🧐🤪😂
*Note: Every node has a weird looking leaf. 🤔🙃

View attachment 1186826

Looks like a bigger bug, perhaps caterpillar damage. If a bug even caused that damage.

More likely than not, It could be a genetic defect, a scar on a single leaf that occurred early in growth then grew out funny.
Difficult to say, I think some of these isolates such as GDP do carry some genetic defects in there various lines over time; especially in some of there purest forms, perhaps.

Just an educated guess on my part; But it's deep old school Cali roots lead me to believe some have sacrificed vigor, to maintain purity over time. It never was a particularly prolific strain, in my eyes. More of a specialty; or reserve. A curiosity, but a really good one IMO. A delicacy, grown for it's very unique quality, and very interesting taste.

I've worked with some So. Cali GDP, and it's phenomenal stuff. But it was lacking in vigor. So I tried to do what I do. Crossed it. Still got some of the original seeds though, I think. That guy was cool AF, never even got his name. Those were my first seeds off the forums, and that plant was certainly legit.

Some character was lost, no doubt. That said, I really do like how it turned out.
IMG 20211105 154630962

IMG 20211103 023954
Last edited:
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Looks like a bigger bug, perhaps caterpillar damage. If a bug even caused that damage.

More likely than not, It could be a genetic defect, a scar on a single leaf that occurred early in growth then grew out funny.
Difficult to say, I think some of these isolates such as GDP do carry some genetic defects in there various lines over time; especially in some of there purest forms, perhaps.

Just an educated guess on my part; But it's deep old school Cali roots lead me to believe some have sacrificed vigor, to maintain purity over time. It never was a particularly prolific strain, in my eyes. More of a specialty; or reserve. A curiosity, but a really good one IMO. A delicacy, grown for it's very unique quality.

I've worked with some So. Cali GDP, and it's phenomenal stuff. But it was lacking in vigor. So I tried to do what I do. Crossed it.

But certainly a lot of character was lost. That said, I really do like how it turned out.
Yeah, I pretty much figured it was genetic. ILGM genetics.

BionicKroniK

BionicKroniK

Just an educated guess on my part; But it's deep old school Cali roots lead me to believe some have sacrificed vigor, to maintain purity over time. It never was a particularly prolific strain, in my eyes. More of a specialty; or reserve. A curiosity, but a really good one IMO. A delicacy, grown for it's very unique quality, and very interesting taste.

I've worked with some So. Cali GDP, and it's phenomenal stuff. But it was lacking in vigor. So I tried to do what I do. Crossed it. Still got some of the original seeds though, I think. That guy was cool AF, never even got his name. Those were my first seeds off the forums.

But certainly a lot of character was lost. That said, I really do like how it turned out.
View attachment 1186841

Yep, definitely some weird genetics defect thingy going on...Smh

I really like the GDP affects and a good Chocolope too, but we haven't been able to come across some good genetic ones...Do you have another strains that compares and/or even better than the GDP and Chocolope? This seems like a silly question for a Pakalolo Connoisseur...Duh, me. 🙃 😄

*Edit/Added: Our son wanted me to shop at Attitude Seeds and pick something out for my birthday gift, which I haven't done yet...SO many choices and what I wanted, they didn't have. 🤔

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Yep, definitely some weird genetics defect thingy going on...Smh

I really like the GDP affects and a good Chocolope too, but we haven't been able to come across some good genetic ones...Do you have another strains that compares and/or even better than the GDP and Chocolope? This seems like a silly question for a Pakalolo Connoisseur...Duh, me. 🙃 😄

*Edit/Added: Our son wanted me to shop at Attitude Seeds and pick something out for my birthday gift, which I haven't done yet...SO many choices and what I wanted, they didn't have. 🤔

Well it's certainly not the same thing, but it's made from it. That, and GG#4, and now I think I might have bred in some of the blueberry on one of them. I've got a few different pheno's of it, actually. I've isolated at least 2 that are pretty interesting.

I certainly don't mind sharing some of them. I've got tons of the seeds that these were made from. Actually popped a few more.
IMG 20211109 005657252

IMG 20211109 005744255
BionicKroniK

BionicKroniK

Well it's certainly not the same thing, but it's made from it. That, and GG#4, and now I think I might have bred in some of the blueberry on one of them. I've got a few different pheno's of it, actually. I've isolated at least 2 that are pretty interesting.

I certainly don't mind sharing some of them. I've got tons of the seeds that these were made from. Actually popped a few more.
View attachment 1186846,
Sweeeeeet...Nice job, looks yummy...Mahalo for all your help @Frankster! 👍🤜🤛

K FARM Fam, time for la la land...Goodnight and Sweet Dreams! 🥴🚬 😴

Latest posts

Top Bottom