GDP 1 month

• Thread starter HoltLucy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HoltLucy

HoltLucy

One of the forum sponsors has a great sale right now.

Be sure and read the watering articles I posted above.

The new method to know when to water is this;

Get one like this:

Poke it into the pot about 1/4 up from the bottom and test the soil for moistness. Water slowly until it shows the water getting to the meter then stop. It's full.
Thank you so much ;)

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

NEW UPDATE!

mancorn

mancorn

No. You should not be feeding in soil. Soil IS food.
You feed in coco, not soil. Soil is natural. The only thing you add other than water is MBE's. (Microbes, Bacteria, Enzymes)
There are specific ways to do this.

You have FF dirt. They changed their formula and it's not that good anymore. It used to be the good stuff but ....
FF needs this added to it;

Recharge

Fish Sh!T
What do you mean don’t feed in soil? Pretty much every farmer in the world grows in dirt with fertilizer. FFOF is primarily peat moss and wood chips (which actually bind up nitrogen and why it’s “aged”), that help hold nutrients and improve aeration and drainage, but has little or no nutrient value at all. FF does have some added nutrients (earthworm castings, bat guano, fish emulsion, and crab meal) - enough nutrients to last a few weeks (maybe a month at most), after which a cannabis plant will develop seriously deficiencies if you don’t add fertilizers. FF specifically says “Use FoxFarm Fertilizers & Liquid Plant Food concentrates in conjunction with our soil mixes.”

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

What do you mean don’t feed in soil? Pretty much every farmer in the world grows in dirt with fertilizer. FFOF is primarily peat moss and wood chips (which actually bind up nitrogen and why it’s “aged”), that help soil hold nutrients and improve aeration and drainage, but has little or no nutrient value at all. FF does have some added nutrients (earthworm castings, bat guano, fish emulsion, and crab meal) - enough nutrients to last a few weeks (maybe a month at most), after which a cannabis plant will develop seriously deficiencies if you don’t add fertilizers. FF specifically says “Use FoxFarm Fertilizers & Liquid Plant Food concentrates in conjunction with our soil mixes.”
And that is why we do not use it anymore. It's not living soil. It's NOT organic.
Organic is when the soil has everything to grow a plant from start to finish with nothing but water. FF is NOT organic, I don't care what sticker they put on the bag.

If you have to feed, you may as well be in coco.

Outside is no different.

mancorn

mancorn

And that is why we do not use it anymore. It's not living soil. It's NOT organic.
Organic is when the soil has everything to grow a plant from start to finish with nothing but water. FF is NOT organic, I don't care what sticker they put on the bag.

Outside is no different.
I’m not sure what any of that has to do with helping the OP. FF says “Garden tip: Designed for containers and ready to use right out of the bag. There’s no need for nitrogen fertilizers at first; instead try FoxFarm Big Bloom® Liquid Plant Food to get things started.” [emphasis mine]. You most certainly do have to feed plants grown in FFOF dirt.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Outside growers start off in living soil but they normally rotate the crop to insure the soil stays living. That is why they need to add fertilizers to it. Its been proven over hundreds of generations that correct crop rotation is the key to maintaining living soil. Commercial outdoor growers don't care because they only use one crop, so they add stuff to the soil. That's not organic.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Outside is no different.
Since topic came about organic living soil, is there a bagged living soil you would recommend? Something easily sourced (Grow Generation, etc) that's not outrageously expensive.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Since topic came about organic living soil, is there a bagged living soil you would recommend? Something easily sourced (Grow Generation, etc) that's not outrageously expensive.
We like Roots Organic LUSH. It's half the price of FF here.
We have not needed to amend it at all. We do add some extra MBE's just because we want to insure it is fully activated.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

We like Roots Organic LUSH. It's half the price of FF here.
We have not needed to amend it at all. We do add some extra MBE's just because we want to insure it is fully activated.
@ComfortablyNumb Thank you for that ... I'll look for it.

@mancorn soil is the source of food of course, but there's also something different about FFOF formulation. It's not performing like it once did. I thought the information was valid regarding "living soil" vs FFOF "organic mix."

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Not sure how we got off on an organic tangent - you said “You should not be feeding in soil. Soil IS food”, and I was pointed out to the OP that she should most certainly be feeding her plants.
Yes, and I disagree because she is in soil, so the thing to do is correctly amend the soil so it works properly, not to pour more of what already exists into it.

mancorn

mancorn

@ComfortablyNumb Thank you for that ... I'll look for it.

@mancorn soil is the source of food of course, but there's also something different about FFOF formulation. It's not performing like it once did. I thought the information was valid regarding "living soil" vs FFOF "organic mix."
I’m not trying to jerk anyone’s chain, but the OP is growing in FFOF dirt, so it’s completely irrelevant that it’s not the best dirt, or great dirt, or living dirt, or there’s better dirt, or if it is or isn’t organic. It’s what HoltLucy is using, so saying “DO NOT FEED THEM ANYTHING. That's the soils job, not yours.” is bad advice.

mancorn

mancorn

Yes, and I disagree because she is in soil, so the thing to do is correctly amend the soil so it works properly, not to pour more of what already exists into it.
This isn’t a discussion about organics vs synthetics. Amending the soil is MOST certainly fertilizing. It doesn’t matter if you use a bottle of FF nutrients or add feather meal, they’re both nutrients.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I’m not trying to jerk anyone’s chain, but the OP is growing in FFOF dirt, so it’s completely irrelevant that it’s not the best dirt, or great dirt, or living dirt, or there’s better dirt, or if it is or isn’t organic. It’s what HoltLucy is using, so saying “DO NOT FEED THEM ANYTHING. That's the soils job, not yours.” is bad advice.
Unless you see that I suggested she correctly amend the soil because it's what she has.

I chose that direction because it's easier in the long run, saves her money, and eases her learning to grow.
Once it's amended, she will not need the rest.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

This isn’t a discussion about organics vs synthetics. Amending the soil is MOST certainly fertilizing. It doesn’t matter if you use a bottle of FF nutrients or add feather meal, they’re both nutrients.
Exactly. But how it's done makes a difference in complexity of the grow. She is a beginner, so I am making it as easy as possible for her.

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

this is my gdp aka grand daddy purple at the beginning of week 4

Top Bottom