Gh 3 Part Coco And Plants Dying Wtf.... Please Help..

• Thread starter Humboldt.Rio
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bicky studs

bicky studs

I'm almost sure that you could have root bound issues. If you are growing in 2 gallon pots. When growing photo period plants you want atleast a 5gal pot and with autos 3 gallon pots. I grow in coco Loco and I let my medium dry and feed every 3 days. I have no problems like this!
:cry:

Enforcer

Enforcer

I'm almost sure that you could have root bound issues. If you are growing in 2 gallon pots. When growing photo period plants you want atleast a 5gal pot and with autos 3 gallon pots. I grow in coco Loco and I let my medium dry and feed every 3 days. I have no problems like this!

In raw coco with frequent feedings, root bound is a good thing. CocoLoco (as I’m sure you know) is NOT raw coco. That stuff is heavily amended and must be treated like soil. Watered every few days and allowed to dry out a bit. I have used CocoLoco before, not the same animal.

However, your advice is absolutely sound if he was growing in CocoLoco.

G

GreatMilenko

In raw coco with frequent feedings, root bound is a good thing. CocoLoco (as I’m sure you know) is NOT raw coco. That stuff is heavily amended and must be treated like soil. Watered every few days and allowed to dry out a bit. I have used CocoLoco before, not the same animal.

How is root bound a good thing? Thought the purpose of using bigger pots was to let the root ball get bigger?

justiceman

justiceman

But this is where I trip out.

Water everyday, but they are wet and heavy from yesterday still. This is where I would normally wait...

I pulled 4 of the worst and their was like 2inches of dead roots. The rest of the pot was just wet.

I can see how high ppm in the 2 gallon would keep the roots from growing. It killed all the roots from the transplant. But the wet.. it seems like it's stopping it too. Or the top layer of Coco is drying out bf the roots establish themselves.

Some wonderful reply's on coco here.

I try to stress that it's not a matter of "over watering" coco. It's a matter of depriving oxygen to the roots. The longer you wait to feed the more oxygen is depleted in the root zone. If you wait long enough(2 or more days on average) you do get more oxygen via drying however that's when one invites EC spikes and pH swings. Dry coco is like chaos. It's unpredictable in every way and causes a myriad of phantoms to show up. Feeding daily pretty much clears any problems one can run into with coco aside from overfeeding.

If roots could get too wet then DWC would never work nor would these Coco Hempy's I just ran work either.

That bottom layer of perlite acted as passive 2" reservoir of nutrient solution that the roots sat in for veg and flower. Normally you would think they would go stagnant and rot but because I fed daily oxygen levels were kept up and the roots never suffocated.
0f0e452e-3bdb-479f-a6b2-517fd8e1c652-jpeg.804279

Here you can see the roots had no problem living in the passive reservoir of perlite.
87b492eb-2cf5-406d-b5a9-0b5a72da4945-jpeg.804282

I have a small coco root health tutorial link for you posted below. I hope that it helps brings some understanding on how coco functions.

COCO ROOT HEALTH

Humboldt.Rio

Humboldt.Rio

good advice enforcer.

if you think its wet enough feed it any way... if you think its too wet ...feed it.... if u think its dry..... u fkd up.

in flower ur 2gal will need more than 1 feed/day!

my veg is flood... 3/day. my flower dtw 7/day.... im using smaller pots tho.

good luck man stick at it! you will love it once u get going
thats what im trying to do. I want multiple feedings per day!

Humboldt.Rio

Humboldt.Rio

First off thanks everyone for posting for help. i really want to get this. I spent the morning cleaning and thinking alot about this.

and this comment is what trips me out. bc this is my old way of thinking. I grew trees for years in 5 gallon coco perilite mix with a 3 part cutting edge and floralicious plus.
would always feed. ph 6 and let dry 2 to 3 days. feed to runoff. repeat

where i started thinking different is when i saw this guy from icmag killing it for yield in coco. and thats where i always lacked. normal pound per thousand.

he was getting like 2.7 per

was like what the fuck am i doing...

now i have 600s and went from 3 gallon to 2 gallon to feed more.

Then i see the roots guys are getting.never ever had that.

soo i changed. to feed every day to runoff once a day to runoff.

feed evertime

so what is happening in my opinion is that the ec rises and the ph drops over a week period. a flush once a week wasnt not helping. ec rises more when i feed again and booom. now i know what a salt build up looks like.

2 days ago when they showed no sign of recovery i bought florakleen and used 1.5ml per gallon. yesterday feed a 4 mico 4 grow 2 bloom ph 6 without using any ph adjustment 520 ppm

today i have new growth and am making a feed now with 442 and calmag since i just flushed with florakleen.

so my question is..... what do i do tomorrow? how do i control my ec if 15 percent runoff isnt enough?

and thats why i dont like the 6/9 micro bloom.it takes my ph to 5.4 and use a shit load of up. a 424 its 6 everytime

we dont have silica here to raise bf anyone says.

Humboldt.Rio

Humboldt.Rio

i would have been so happy if this was true. i didnt have any roots! they died when i transplanted them from the salt build up.

and this is my trouble time. transplant time. I have a habit of killing the root ball from high ec and dry

Humboldt.Rio

Humboldt.Rio

I try to stress that it's not a matter of "over watering" coco. It's a matter of depriving oxygen to the roots. The longer you wait to feed the more oxygen is depleted in the root zone. If you wait long enough(2 or more days on average) you do get more oxygen via drying however that's when one invites EC spikes and pH swings. Dry coco is like chaos. It's unpredictable in every way and causes a myriad of phantoms to show up. Feeding daily pretty much clears any problems one can run into with coco aside from overfeeding.

If roots could get too wet then DWC would never work nor would these Coco Hempy's I just ran work either.

That bottom layer of perlite acted as passive 2" reservoir of nutrient solution that the roots sat in for veg and flower. Normally you would think they would go stagnant and rot but because I fed daily oxygen levels were kept up and the roots never suffocated.

Here you can see the roots had no problem living in the passive reservoir of perlite.

I have a small coco root health tutorial link for you posted below. I hope that it helps brings some understanding on how coco functions.

COCO ROOT HEALTH

Humboldt.Rio

Humboldt.Rio

your tutorial is like my bible....

but how do i control the salt build up if 15 percent runoff each time and once a week 1/4 strength nute feed isnt enough to drop the ec? use florakleen weekly?

that would suck bc i woulld really like to add a bio war nute and root pack. but if im just flushing all the time....

Humboldt.Rio

Humboldt.Rio

this i believe as well.root bound is a good thing!

and maybe that is hurting me. i think its a 100 percent coco like powder not fiber. and it might have some peatmoss. i dont think it does but i cant get the company to answer.

and its like an 70/30 mix of peralite at this point from a privious grow. next time i go 100 percent coco

Humboldt.Rio

Humboldt.Rio

COCO ROOT HEALTH
But justiceman. what how was your 6/9 schedule? always feeding? how did you control the ec rise?

and what did you do for the low ph? 5.4 is my ph with 6/9

bicky studs

bicky studs

But justiceman. what how was your 6/9 schedule? always feeding? how did you control the ec rise?

and what did you do for the low ph? 5.4 is my ph with 6/9
micro adjusting in coco is deadly. by the time u see a problem its already happened.

you need to get a rythem going and stick to it.
once you get whats goin in regular and stable, the ec comming out will be too.

i tried using the nute tables and at first but my ec/ph was not measuring as the table suggests.
it was good for learning wat different nute parts do to ur ec/ph.
but what im doin now is not what the table says. i hit 5.7-5.8 everytime, topping up too.
u get a better feel for mixing as u go, dont sweat it just keep under the recomended dosage. the tables are made for optimal enviroments....

im no pro but have recently switched to coco and am lovin it m8

bicky studs

bicky studs

i would have been so happy if this was true. i didnt have any roots! they died when i transplanted them from the salt build up.

and this is my trouble time. transplant time. I have a habit of killing the root ball from high ec and dry
i dont see why..... heres what i do.....right or wrong:D
i try to get the new medium like the existing..... in the morn i fill new pot with coco and a empty small pot where the plants going, run my feed through till the run off is clear...ish
up pot at night. thats it. roots poking out the bottom of new pot 1-2days

Humboldt.Rio

Humboldt.Rio

also....ro water starts at different ph levels depending on the tap u put through....
so u cant expect exactly the same ph mixing the same amounts....imo
cheers bicky studs

yeah... its kinda nuts. is it ok to always have to ph up? i feel like its a bad thing

my water here sucks and i have to ro so i use it.

i want to just do 6/9 bc of the simplicity

but constantly rising of the ec and lowering of the ph is killing me. i feel like it is always like that. this problem started when i started watering everyday. now im over feeding!! how do i balance it without florakleen all the time?

Top Bottom