Going organic in coco

• Thread starter Andy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Andy

Andy

Hi all - I've grown with non-organic nutrients/additives for a long time & am wondering about the possibility of increasing taste/quality by introducing organic nutrients/additives into my system. My questions are:

1: Can you go 100% organic in coco?

2: If so, will it reduce yields?

3: If it would reduce yields compared to non-organic, what would be a happy medium in order to avoid that?

4: Will using organics in coco increase the taste and general quality of the weed?

Cheers :)

THCMonster

THCMonster

Polish 20200220 171909310
Polish 20200220 171650675
Polish 20200220 172043071

These were grown 100% organic in COCO! So i would definitely say Yes! You can!

But theres rules:

#1) you cant amend the coco with ANY organic material (wormcastings, bat guano, kelp meal... etc)

#2) You have to use only liquid base fertilizers

#3) You have to make sure you formulate a very effective PK booster!

#4) You will have to formulate the nutrients yourself! (This is the only tricky part about it!)

Screenshot 20200202 1127322
Screenshot 20200204 1620182

Screenshot 20200204 1626082

Polish 20200303 183803383

bunkerking

bunkerking

View attachment 948167View attachment 948168View attachment 948169

These were grown 100% organic in COCO! So i would definitely say Yes! You can!

But theres rules:

#1) you cant amend the coco with ANY organic material (wormcastings, bat guano, kelp meal... etc)

#2) You have to use only liquid base fertilizers

#3) You have to make sure you formulate a very effective PK booster!

#4) You will have to formulate the nutrients yourself! (This is the only tricky part about it!)

View attachment 948172View attachment 948171
View attachment 948170

View attachment 948173

What are you using for nutes then? I'm all ears.

THCMonster

THCMonster

What are you using for nutes then? I'm all ears.

Well when i first switched to organics im not gonna lie it took me a second to dial it in! I fucked up bad because i amended my coco with things like earthworm castings and bat guano and stuff like that.

When i switch to liquid based i switched to a company called organically done! It worked half way decent.

But if you want something super effective you have to learn to do premium teas!

If you want to go true organics i would go Roots organic grow and bloom, roots organic trinity!

Get you some wormcastings and humus soil. And do a brew! But learn to do a perpetual brew!

Also if you have any one you know that has a fish tank ask them for some water when they do water changes or ask them for their filters to the fish tank! (Trust me makes a massive difference)

If you want to make it simple just do:

Roots organic grow
Roots organic bloom
Root organic trinity
Down to earth micronutrient (liquid)
Buried treasure bat guano (liquid)
Potash (liquid)
Kelp extract (liquid)
SLF 100 (enzymes)
Any mychorrhizae product

Veg:

Roots organic grow
Roots organic trinity
Down to earth micro
SLF 100
Mychorrhizae

Bloom:

Roots organic bloom
Roots organic trinity
Down to earth micro
SLF 100
Kelp Extract
Mychorrhizae

PK BOOSTER:
Buried Treasure
Potash

All these products are either CDFA(California standard organic) or OMRI listed.

To answer your question to what I use.

I ferment all my own nutrients using KNF (Korean Natural Farming)

And more advanced fermentation techniques.

I also use fish water everytime mix my nutrients and feed my plants. (I have freshwater fish tanks)

Andy

Andy

Wow, thanks for your really comprehensive answer! It looks to be quite a bit to get into. Am I right in saying it'd be impossible to feed from a tank + drippers with this setup or you'd bet blockages and the organic buildup would go bad after a while?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
If you are looking for soda can sized colas. Gotta go salts. It's not like you are smoking chemicals.

I failed horribly bad at organic and coco. Its doable but not if you want west coast nugs ;)

Lol, your name isnt Chris is it?

My buddy also flopped when he tried to go full organic in coco. I'm running coco now but using botanicare pbp which is organic based. Also amending with mycos and I'll likely start using fulvic/humic and enzymes again this round. That's about as close to organic as I'll get I think lol.

bunkerking

bunkerking

Lol, your name isnt Chris is it?

My buddy also flopped when he tried to go full organic in coco. I'm running coco now but using botanicare pbp which is organic based. Also amending with mycos and I'll likely start using fulvic/humic and enzymes again this round. That's about as close to organic as I'll get I think lol.

Nah, different person here.

Be mindful that recent studies show humic acids lower thc and terp levels across the entire plant. But they make it more even across the entire plant. Top nugs will be very similar to bottom ones. Level wise.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I would say middle ground would be coco and pure blend pro. Fully soluble but made with natural ingredients including worm castings and seaweed extract. Probably need their cal mag plus with the coco.

Im doing promix hp and pbp grow only now.

THCMonster

THCMonster

Wow, thanks for your really comprehensive answer! It looks to be quite a bit to get into. Am I right in saying it'd be impossible to feed from a tank + drippers with this setup or you'd bet blockages and the organic buildup would go bad after a while?

Are you talking about feeding straight from a fish tank? Cause if so i have already tried it with clones, so far so good
20200227 155353
20200227 155700
20200227 155528
20200208 182827

But those are just clones, what I have found because i tested a bigger plant under my 315cmh and it started becoming very light green.

The downside with fish tanks is that they dont provide enough nitrates for a continuously growing plant, especially ones that grow as fast as cannabis, they will deplete the nitrates faster then what can be replenished in the fish tank.

But if you are in the market to try using fish water to feed I would recommend what I do which is (and this method was taught to me by a professional aquaponics grower):

Get a 35-55gal fish tank and get a rez thats half or equal to the tank size.

For example i have a 55gal fish tank in my basement, and next to that i have a 55gal drum barrel, i have an over flow valve that go from my tank into the drum barrel and a 396gph water pump that goes back to the tank, anytime i need water i pull water from the drum barrel.

Once i get close to flower i feed 1gal to each plant everyday, and i run 24 plants. Which means i deplete the 55gal barrel in 2 days.

I take the 55gal barrel out of circulation, add all my nutrients to the drum barrel, feed my plants for 2 days, wash the barrel out, fill it back up with water, and add it back into the circulation system with my fish tank!

Been doing this for over a year now and the results are amazing!

Fish water has basically every microbial you could imagine, and mine even has fungus because i dont clean the tank, so their is sometimes a build up of fungus on the drift wood i have in it.

If you ever want to give it a try just shoot me a private msg and ill show you how my setup is and how it all works.

Good luck to you if you try organics though! I dont do it because i can claim my stuff as "organic". That term to me is just misleading.

I do it because i use to spend $1500-$2000 per harvest in nutrients, but now for $500 i can make enough 5gal buckets worth of nutrients to do 4-5 harvests!

Where i live that would be like saving 2lbs worth of product every year in nutrients!

Latest posts

Top Bottom