Grateful Dead 50th Anniversary Chicago 3 Night Run

• Thread starter pRiMo303
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
UCMETOO

UCMETOO

Once you've been so close that you can actually talk about the quality of the music and how it was played, and had enough perspective to 'watch it evolve' on a daily basis it leaves a high water mark. I won't shit on any rookies 'DEAD SHOW FANTASY' because even a little of what was good goes a long way, its kind of like when you watch someone inexperienced say 'thats the strongest weed ever' and they think your gonna agree,.......

One bong hit serves no purpose for me. To say i have a high threshold would be accurate,.....and was hard to impress musically even more to the point. I would have loved to see a few of theses shows this summer, but the 'one time-all time' setup never satisfies and this has too many hands in the cash drawer to have much SOUL.

UCMETOO

UCMETOO

Don't judge what you have no idea about, having never been there or done that....
Too bad you never saw a show, you would think different.
Our group, born and raised in Palo alto. Got on bus early 70s.
We were there for the music, which is what it was for us all about.
The good olddays we would never sell out for big bucks to see the show.
everyone was one big family and there were no fears at the shows.
We took care of each other and there was a whole lot of love.
Sadly all that isgone these days, it's 10 buck beers, parking lot parties, folks at show feel entitled to barge in front of you up front.
People selling this and that, not real.
would not go to this if you paid me...
I hope those that go really have a good time. I am content with the fond memories of how things used to be.
saw and felt a lot, tried and true....
Here's a night that entered my soul..Was there, will never forget...If this don't move you nothing will....

And so you can imagine my horror at the thought of hearing that as the last encore, as a sing-a-long, in the heat of july inside a concrete venue amongst 50,000 wanna be's.

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

Being 13 as well when Jerry died, I was a late bloomer and had really hoped to make this show..at least one night. After mail order and online being a failure, I gave up. I was on point, bright and early for both..oh well. I did hear though (have yet to confirm) that they announced Merriweather and a Cali show, with Warren Haynes sitting in with The Boys. Which is how it should've been anyway. My homie who's a little older seems to think they're gonna do the venues that they were banned from under a different name..which would include Red Rocks, jus sayin :) And whoever that knuckle head was bad mouthing Jerry needs to be taken out back of the tool shed.

UCMETOO

UCMETOO

As always i'm going to be seeing PHIL a ton this summer,....."reunion/cash grab" is all about what they are calling the performers, not what kind or how well the music is played. Phil and friends will kill at Locken, and yes the shows in MWP and the Bay Area (LEVI STADIUM) are configurations that just lack a player or two. I have no interest in seeing BOBBIE with MICKEY and BILLY plus a bunch of guys they never played or practiced with regardless of who the "famous" guitar lead is......YUCK! Put PHIL in there and kick Kimock's child support ducking ass to the curb and i'm all over it. Just my hard earned opinion but PHIL LESH for the Win,....the rest of them are just for the ca$h, ( i would not care about the money issue if they were playing at a high level, but they are not and have not, BOB included, for some time ) people bitching about SHAPIRO's greed are missing the real issue. THOSE GUYS DO NOT DO IT FOR FREE BECAUSE THEY DON'T LIKE EACH OTHER MUCH.

I have a hard time pretending thy are family to each other anymore, especially when they act like they are doing each other a big favor playing the music they created together, i never say "jerry would ________" but i thing he just might be pretty sad about where the bus is parked today.

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

Scamp is hilarious custy central been several times. How about chalice tho..

These shows are awesome and people with any pre concieved anything but a fun time should reconsider. Its about the feel. Shakedown will be shaking

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

There are on off rumors Martin Scorsese will be onsite to supervise filming for the documentary he is working on as producer. :)

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

*Louie the Falafel Guy* just phoned in and just offered lifetime free falafel for a ticket! And he is legit as can be :)

dieseldawg2480

dieseldawg2480

Im grew up in chi I was lucky enough to catch one of the last shows in chi 95' What a experience.. I ended up scoring tix So if any farmers would like to get together and burn a few. Im so ready for some summer fun..

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
This sucks.. Looks like I'll never have a chance to see the dead live..

Will trade orange sunshine for tickets :) lol

But really
Oh my, you sure bring back the memories @Shamus Good ole orange barrle susnshine, windowpanes, Owsley acid. Used to get shit out the Haight that would melt concrete....LOL.......... Those were the days!!!!

Last edited:
chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Oh my, you sure bring back the memories @Shamus Good ole orange barrle susnshine, windowpanes, Owsley acid. Used to get shit out the Haight that would melt concrete....LOL.......... Those were the days!!!!
Yes those were the days and I was lucky enough to be on the bus riding it from the from the heartland, Palo alto CA., way before the trip got too long and strange. A lot of the birds that were singing have flown.
The way things evolved, most fans forgot, it's about the music, not the parking lot activities , not about the 10 dollar beers, not all about getting fucked up it was about the music, the sweet sweet music. There was music everywhere back in the day, lots of kick ass bands besides the Dead..
Went to many shows SOBER!! and the music was the high....
IMO it's a shame the price of tickets, the fans at the shows like Further have no manners. barge in front of you, everybodys using cell phones for this or that, folks talking during songs, Selling extra tickets for insane prices, we would give them away. Gone are the good old days.
But it is what it is and the music will never stop. For those who wish to go have fun, my memories and love of the good old days will not fade away..
This video say it all, was at Winterland that night, notice how perfect they correlate folks no longer with us with the music..
Fare the well JERRY and others no longer with us, that folks is what fare thee well should be all about...

Last edited:
MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

Two new shows are announced for Santa Clara
First night tix available on new online platform (not ticketmaster)
Second show mail order only

GratefulDead-SantaClara-ADMAT-v2-480.jpg

More Info
Santa Clara
Chicago
Dear Heads,

Although none of us knew it when we walked off the stage at Soldier Field on July 9, 1995, the Grateful Dead's long strange trip ended in Chicago that night. As you are aware, twenty years later, we’re returning to Chicago to properly say Fare Thee Well.

But every good ending must start with a beginning. For us, it all began fifty years ago when we grabbed a bunch of instruments off the walls of a music store in Palo Alto California and began banging away on them in the back room, at night after the store had closed for the day.

Since we made the decision to go back to Chicago to say our final goodbye, it has become clear to us that we first need to return to our beginnings, where we first said hello — to each other and to all of you.

And so it is that we have decided to plug in for two additional shows on June 27 and 28 at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, California — just a dozen miles south of where Dana Morgan’s Music Store once stood. At Levi’s — as at Soldier Field — we will have the pleasure of being joined by Trey Anastasio, Bruce Hornsby and Jeff Chimenti.

Ours wasn’t just a long, strange trip — it was a VERY long, VERY strange trip. We weren’t sure what it was going to be like to put a punctuation mark on the end of it. None of us anticipated the overwhelming outpouring of love and interest following our initial announcement of the shows at Soldier Field, and we were blown away by the response.

We have tried to do the right thing wherever we could for the Chicago shows by honoring the roots of where we came from, while dealing with the realities of the current times. But that’s hardly comforting when you’re shit outta luck for tickets and your only option is inflated prices on secondary ticketing websites. That would piss us off too.

From the moment these shows were first talked about, we have been thinking about what we could do to honor the roots of our Deadhead experience, even in the face of changing technologies. (Remember: Ticketmaster didn’t even go online until we got out of the game.) These shows were always intended as an expression of our gratitude, to both the music and the fans, so it’s important that we get things as right as we can.

We have always been proud of our in-house mail order ticketing process, and the phenomenal way our fans have built a tradition out of turning a standard envelope into a frame-worthy piece of art. Some 60,000 mail order tickets were issued for the Soldier Field shows by the good folks at Grateful Dead Ticket Sales — yet we were still crushed to see how many of your beautifully designed envelopes did not get tickets.

For shows of this magnitude, it’s impossible to eliminate every scalper. However, we offer you this: Working with our partners, we are using an online ticketing platform for the Levi’s shows that will help ensure that the tickets for these shows will get into the right hands, the hands of our true fans. We believe that this process is the best way to give each of you an equal opportunity to obtain tickets at the most affordable possible prices. We are are proud to announce that 65,000 tickets per night will be available via the "online mail order" for the Levi’s shows. For the nuts and bolts, go to Dead50.net.

We will not be adding any more Fare Thee Well shows. The three Chicago shows will still be our final stand. We decided to add these two Santa Clara shows to enable more of our fans to celebrate with us one more time. But this is it.

We love you guys more than words can tell, and hope to see you in the Bay Area or Chicago. If you can’t make it to the shows, we are working on ways for you to still experience our Fare Thee Well, from wherever you might be. Stay tuned for those details.

Gratefully yours,

Billy, Bobby, Mickey & Phil

CHICAGO – The Windy City will still be the final stop on a long strange trip but the surviving members of the Grateful Dead said Friday they would add two additional shows in California prior to their last dance here.

The additional dates are set for June 27 and 28 at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif. The "Fare Thee Well: Celebrating 50 Years of Grateful Dead" celebration will wrap up at Soldier Field July 3-5. (Soldier Field was where lead guitarist and singer Jerry Garcia played his last concert before his death in 1995.)

"Since we made the decision to go back to Chicago to say our final goodbye, it has become clear to us that we first need to return to our beginnings, where we first said hello -- to each other and to all of you," wrote Bill Kreutzmann, Bob Weir, Mickey Hartand Phil Lesh in an open letter to fans.

Grateful Dead to reunite, with Phish's Anastasio

The move was prompted at least in part by the unprecedented demand for tickets. The 210,000 tickets available for the Chicago sets were gone almost before they even went on sale, leaving many long-time fans disappointed.

Peter Shapiro, who is promoting the tour, had previously stressed there were no plans for any additional dates. On Friday, he told USA TODAY that considering "the demand for the Chicago shows, the band wanted more people to see them in their hometown."

The letter from the band stressed that "We will not be adding any more Fare Thee Well shows. The three Chicago shows will still be our final stand. We decided to add these two Santa Clara shows to enable more of our fans to celebrate with us one more time. But this is it."

Shamus

Shamus

i have a friend who several years ago, was trying to put xtal into liquid.. and spilled about 100-180 mg's on a table.. then him and one other proceeded to lick the table profusely.

the table was clean after that..

bitches dosin shit at 100ug these days.. 275 or go home

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

i have a friend who several years ago, was trying to put xtal into liquid.. and spilled about 100-180 mg's on a table.. then him and one other proceeded to lick the table profusely.

the table was clean after that..

bitches dosin shit at 100ug these days.. 275 or go home

...one man gathers what another man spills... Hope you score your tix Shamus

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

Any Denver peeps doing meet-up at the movies Monday? Me and my woman gonna hit Sushi Has before, if anyone wants to grub, sake, and sesh.

Latest posts

Top Bottom