Grow #2 - Indoor hydro tent

• Thread starter Nate_in_AK
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

First day in their new home:

I'm glad I didn't ditch Blueberry, she's a mystery... I cut away some of the older leaves that had dried, and she's got this going on:

That's one confused plant. Taking a step back, it's really sad how just a little over-watering reduced the plant to this state. 😟

My current mindset is to leave them on 18/6 lights and enjoy the show. PPM currently 865.

VannahWhite

VannahWhite

View attachment 1028753

I'm glad I didn't ditch Blueberry, she's a mystery... I cut away some of the older leaves that had dried, and she's got this going on:
View attachment 1028755

That's one confused plant. Taking a step back, it's really sad how just a little over-watering reduced the plant to this state. 😟

My current mindset is to leave them on 18/6 lights and enjoy the show. PPM currently 865.
May I ask what made you move to a bigger res? Also is sad but at least your other baby is doing wonders👍🏻

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

May I ask what made you move to a bigger res? Also is sad but at least your other baby is doing wonders👍🏻
I've got a trip coming up, we will all be out of town for a few days. I don't think the 5 gallon bucket was big enough to leave unattended so long. Larger res should provide better stability of pH/PPM as well, I think/hope.

VannahWhite

VannahWhite

I've got a trip coming up, we will all be out of town for a few days. I don't think the 5 gallon bucket was big enough to leave unattended so long. Larger res should provide better stability of pH/PPM as well, I think/hope.
You had me wondering if that was going to be in my future. Ok. The bigger res makes a lot of sense now. Also question for you. I’m thinking about updating my post, should I update it on the original post or add it in the reply section?
Thanks in advance.

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

You had me wondering if that was going to be in my future. Ok. The bigger res makes a lot of sense now. Also question for you. I’m thinking about updating my post, should I update it on the original post or add it in the reply section?
Thanks in advance.
I always just come to this thread and post updates in the REPLY box at the bottom. I don't think you can edit an existing post after it is like 1 hour old.

Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

View attachment 1028753

View attachment 1028755

those are pistils. Was it an auto flower?

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Just a quick note today: The larger res seems to make a HUGE difference in pH and PPM stability. I've been checking every few hours, and things are just solid. Makes me happy. That is all. Happy Friday!!! 5.8/875PPM

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

I'm kinda tempted to chop the deformed top off Blueberry and let those new little sprouts have a shot at a normal life. Any thoughts? What would happen if I hacked off all the parts that are trying to make mutant flowers and left the normal bits to grow? Can't hurt really, can it?...at least not much.

I'll stew on it a bit and see what kind of feedback I get. Big res continues to please me with environmental stability.

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Say hello to the new Blueberry:

I chopped all the old growth down. I didn't do any research before performing this decapitation, just decided I was obsessing about the stupid plant too much and took action. It will be interesting to see what happens.

White Widow, the uncredited Marvel Avenger super hero:

I add water to raise the PPM to 800. The pH was drifting down and the PPM was drifting up; I'm pretty sure this means she's drinking more than eating. Nothing to complain about.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Also "toxic" levels of Si is usually above 200 ppm. You would really need to be dosing or amending like crazy to reach those numbers. You would also have a world of problems before you ever reached that amount.

As far as an accumulator I have doubts on that since they never really find high levels of Si in tissue cultures or leaf tests.

Yea, I"ve heard lot's of bad things about high levels of si, I would stay away from it personally. I was an advocate before, and I still am to some extent, but it's a "therapeutic range" and needs to be left at that.

It's fine early on, but should be sufficient to give some protection against pest, but beyond trace amounts, I honestly think it should be left alone, ESPECIALLY after flowering. Just too much the chance of interferring with other mineral uptake, later in the game.

I think when the plant has what it wants, it won't take anymore, and then it accumulates.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Dumbass Blueberry auto thinks it's time to flower... anyone disagree?? I don't think I'll buy anymore autoflower seeds, they seem to be fragile as hell.
View attachment 1027390

White Widow of course continues to keep my spirits up.
View attachment 1027391

I can't quite get her desired PPM locked down, it fluctuates a bit, but right around 900 seems to be where she is happy right now.

So, how do I decide when to flip the lights to 12/12 and put her into flower mode?
She's on week 5 of veg right now, if we count from when she sprouted her first tiny leaves.

I had intended to switch to 12/12 when Blueberry started flowering, but that was back when I thought Blueberry was going to grow into a real plant.

Yes, I think autos have a much higher propensity for getting a bad specimen. I've got a couple from people. I got these from Crop King. (and I've had it happen with other vendors)

Both of these plants were planted on the same day. Both have similar lineage, but from different vins and parents (they are siblings) How screwed is that??? $230 for BAD GENETICS. (and probably some good ones), so I'm happy, but disappointed in the non response I encountered on multiple occasions. I will NOT be doing that with customers, If i begin to sell seeds, I will back them up.

I just think it's the nature of the genetics for now, especially as there very young and unstable. I think as time goes on, that will begin to improve. Just means that if you doing them, you need to plan ahead a plant a few "extra" so you can weed out any of the runts, and make sure your getting them from good sourcing.

IMG 20200913 205530

Last edited:
Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Yes, I think autos have a much higher propensity for getting a bad specimen. I've got a couple from people. I got these from Crop King. (and I've had it happen with other vendors)

Both of these plants were planted on the same day. Both have similar lineage, but from different vins and parents (they are siblings) How screwed is that??? $230 for BAD GENETICS. (and probably some good ones), so I'm happy, but disappointed in the non response I encountered on multiple occasions. I will NOT be doing that with customers, If i begin to sell seeds, I will back them up.

I just think it's the nature of the genetics for now, especially as there very young and unstable. I think as time goes on, that will begin to improve. Just means that if you doing them, you need to plan ahead a plant a few "extra" so you can weed out any of the runts, and make sure your getting them from good sourcing.
This is crazy. Thanks for sharing the contrasting plants.

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Blueberry seems to have taken the beheading well:

PPM is reading down significantly at 650, pH dropped again to 5.5 - added some more pH up. Reminder to self to order some silica treatment to use in place of standard pH up. I looked back at yesterday's post and see I wrote it wrong. I added water yesterday to bring the PPM __down__ to 800 (from 875).

The downside to the giant reservoir is that the water level doesn't move as much, making it harder to judge volume uptake. She looks healthy as ever so I'm going to actively not worry about it for now. All suggestions welcome.

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

I'll take "Stupid Plants" for 200, Alex:

Blueberry brand new healthy sprouts pop up, and 2 days later they think it's time to flower. 😡🤬

I accidentally injured a branch on WW while removing some old leaves from the underside. A little green tape to the rescue.

+1 for the "leave the damn thing alone and stop touching it" crowd. Me and my oafish mitts cause more harm than good some days.

Reservoir looking good, pH drift slowing down, PPM stable @ 675ish and a small but measurable drop in the water line.

I'm bummed about Blueberry jumping right back into flower mode, but figured it was likely. I think I'll give WW a few days to recover from the arm twisting I gave her and flip the lights into 12/12 mode.

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Checking in. pH drift slowed, water level dropping, things are alarmingly OK.
Blue:

Did some light undercarriage defoliation on White:

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Blueberry still showing some very small flowering pistils, I have idea what this girl is doing...

Everything else moving along well. White is starting to generate a lovely faint aroma, so I switched to the carbon filter on my tent exhaust.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Blueberry still showing some very small flowering pistils, I have idea what this girl is doing...
View attachment 1031979

Everything else moving along well. White is starting to generate a lovely faint aroma, so I switched to the carbon filter on my tent exhaust.

It's actually progressed beyond that "deformed" stage, it's looking like a viable plant now. My purple haze from Crop King did this exact same thing also (more than one seed) so, it's got to be a genetic weakness, I suspect.

I think it's a genetic weakness (perhaps too much ruderalis genes, and not enough of the photo-period ones)

IMG 20200917 134254
Last edited:
Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

I realized today that I never ordered netting for limb support. Ordered along with some silica enhanced stuff: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N2WQNWW

White is going to need some limb support soon!!

Here's blue today:

Added a little pH up, we were down to 5.67. Broken limb on WW not as stable as I would like yet. Blue's development has me considering waiting another week or so before I switch the lights. It would be nice to get something from Blueberry after all this work. Other than possible over-crowding, is there any significant risk to letting WW veg a little longer?

Happy Friday, Ents!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom