Grow #2 - Indoor hydro tent

• Thread starter Nate_in_AK
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

I am really digging this 37 gallon reservoir. I don't see myself ever using 5 gal buckets again.

Updated mug shots:

You could fall in love with an orangutan in there!

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Another update on Blueberry

White is getting huge, but not very tall. She is about ready for some limb support, I'll be cleaning more undercarriage bits that won't get much light and work on getting the netting in place soon. I wonder if I will regret not starting with the netting in place.

The only thing that bothers me is the pH keeps drifting up. PPM has been stable and water level slowly dropping, but pH keeps going down a bit too far and I have to give her a bit of pH UP. (Switching to Silica as soon as it arrives.)

Last edited:
B0ssD0ss

B0ssD0ss

Another update on Blueberry
View attachment 1033503

White is getting huge, but not very tall. She is about ready for some limb support, I'll be cleaning more undercarriage bits that won't get much light and work on getting the netting in place soon. I wonder if I will regret not starting with the netting in place.

View attachment 1033508

The only thing that bothers me is the pH keeps drifting up. PPM has been stable and water level slowly dropping, but pH keeps going down a bit too far and I have to give her a bit of pH UP. (Switching to Silica as soon as it arrives.)

Mind dropping some knowledge on the Silica. That just for DWC? Or good to add in any grow for additional nutrients.

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Mind dropping some knowledge on the Silica. That just for DWC? Or good to add in any grow for additional nutrients.
Good question, I assume it would apply to any growth medium. My understanding is that Silica will raise the pH, while providing some beneficial nutrients that can help strengthen the limbs of the plant.

B0ssD0ss

B0ssD0ss

Good question, I assume it would apply to any growth medium. My understanding is that Silica will raise the pH, while providing some beneficial nutrients that can help strengthen the limbs of the plant.

Not sure I wanna raise my ph. It's actually a little high and have to use ph down to get mine in the right zone. Guess I can always go a little lower and use this to have it raise it a little. I dunno though newbie here. Lol

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Not sure I wanna raise my ph. It's actually a little high and have to use ph down to get mine in the right zone. Guess I can always go a little lower and use this to have it raise it a little. I dunno though newbie here. Lol
My advice would be don't try to incorporate anything unless the need arises.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter

Be very aware too much silica can harm growth, especially during the flowering stages. Remember, its a MICRO element. It's needed in the early stages of development for this stalks, and webbing in leaves, fiberous tissues, once those are developed fully developed, it's only needed in trace amounts.

Think of infants, children, bones and milk. (calcium).
I've read some articles that says it can inhibit in some circumstances, so I would use caution, and when appropriate.

Last edited:
Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Be very aware too much silica can harm growth, especially during the flowering stages. Remember, its a MICRO element. It's needed in the early stages of development for this stalks, and webbing in leaves, fiberous tissues, once those are developed fully developed, it's only needed in trace amounts.

Think of infants, children, bones and milk. (calcium).
I've read some articles that says it can inhibit in some circumstances, so I would use caution, and when appropriate.
So better to use this in the early stages, got it. Thanks.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
That would be my advice nate, some others might not see it that way, it's a great nutrient don't get me wrong, and it helps strengthen the plant, helps immunity, I've just seen some evidence to a downside of too much, especially during flowering.

So that' my concern, (abundance of precaution) because I don't want to inhibit growth whatsoever. The worst thing you can do with that system is create a nute lock of some sort, that's why keeping that transpiration pipeline is so vital to this type of grow, it's the driver behind almost everything, that and the proper mix, at the proper times.

That plants going to get hella big. Just look at how thick she is, that's insane. Just if you notice any changes, run them past Aqua.

Last edited:
CelticCannabis

CelticCannabis

I am new to this whole growing thing but was turned on to Potassium Silicate by Aqua Man who is a wealth of information.
I have added Potassium Silicate to my nutrients in three separate batches and have lowered the ratios each time.
Potassium Silicate will stall the PH drift if you add according to the manufacturers recommended dosage(at least the one I bought). I originally started with 2 ml/ 4 litres of water. I am now down to .25. At this rate, I believe I am getting sufficient PS and the PH ends up at 7.2 starting with RO water at 6.0.
I’m sure you know you have to mix it first and then PH down before you add other nutrients.
Happy growing..!

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Leaving in a few days and my girls will be on their own for several days. Things have been very stable so far with the large res, I'm optimistic they will do well.

Blueberry:

White Widow:

I added a net to help with big limb support on WW. This crazy-bush growing format is rather annoying to manage, I think next time I will start with a screen and attempt to follow the SCROG bible.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter

I only add Silica during the first 5-6 weeks. I stop providing it when i switch to my bloom mix/nutes; around the same time you start lowering your Nitrogen during feeding to help with flowering.

Happy Growing 🍻 🥂 😎

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I am really digging this 37 gallon reservoir. I don't see myself ever using 5 gal buckets again.

Updated mug shots:
View attachment 1033028

View attachment 1033029
You could fall in love with an orangutan in there!

I am with you on the large rez. I run two 40gal and have loved them since day one. The only real problem i have encountered it when the two plants grow at different rates (like my current grow). Then you have to get very creative.

btw; Watch that undergrowth, you want to keep that cleared out and make sure you get good air circulation or that goblin "mold" will eat your lunch.

Peace Out 😁

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Leaving in a few days and my girls will be on their own for several days. Things have been very stable so far with the large res, I'm optimistic they will do well.

Blueberry:
View attachment 1034576

White Widow:
View attachment 1034577

I added a net to help with big limb support on WW. This crazy-bush growing format is rather annoying to manage, I think next time I will start with a screen and attempt to follow the SCROG bible.

Even with SCROG you will need to raise your net as your plant grows if you are using it for support. That could become difficult without breaking shit; so now you have come to where silica comes into play. If you have been adding silica (in small amounts of course) then you probably won't need the support. There should be plenty of strength in the stems/stalk. Besides you don't want to put too much in, you are about to start bending them to tie them down, and you need them to have some flexibility.

As for the SCROG net. When the plants are about 24 inches high (or just as they start their stretch phase) place and secure the net about 8 inches or so below the top and then begin tying the growing branches to the lateral net strings (I use pipe cleaners). The tips will turn up towards the light and continue to grow. A few days later you tie it down again. Do this for as many stems as you can until the stretch is over and\or you run out of room. At that point all of your bud sites will more or less getting the same amount of light exposure and stand up/grow up towards the light. All of those bud sites will be much more compact and even.

If you want, i can send you a link where i had reasonable success with the SCROG. Although it was only a partial success.

Shit is look good Bro! Happy Growing 😎 🍻

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Rez readings: 6.0pH / 1280PPM

I trimmed some lower fluff off Blueberry, she still has little pre-flower pistils hanging around in various places. Weirdo.

I think I may have been a little too rough with the previously damaged limb on White when I stuffed her into the netting:

She'll either recover or die.

This is Sparta.

I added about 1/10th the vendor recommended amount of Silica, given the late stage of development.
PPM ended up higher than I expected. Previously the same amount of nutrients would have raised the PPM by 300 rather than 600. I'm wondering if I'm getting an artificially high reading because I manually stirred the res water around instead of letting it disperse via the churn of the air bubblers. Either way, 1200 isn't crazy high, just a little foolish I hope. Probably more strain for Blueberry since I'm guessing, White can probably handle 1200 fine at her size.

I'm 99% on switching them to flower next week.

99 nugs of Gorilla Glue in my jar, 99 nugs of GG, grind one down, vape that weed brown. 98 nugs of GG in my jar.🎵🎹

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Came home to this:

Res was 5.95/1450. I closed the lid and I'm not touching it.

A little sad that front limb didn't survive, but those are the breaks. (forced laugh goes here).

Blueberry is determined to flower.

That looks sad to me.

I switched my lights to 12/12 and dropped the humidity to 55%, I'll keep working that down to as close to 40% as I can get as they flower.

I'm wondering about nutrient mixture adjustment for the blooming stage. Do I need to do a full change of the res or is that excessive? I'm not changing anything in the res until tomorrow at the soonest.

White Widow is quoted as a 7-9 week flower time. That puts her ready potentially right around Thanksgiving Day, with an early smokable window of New Years Day. This is how I remember things, I would never remember actual dates.

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Image of the day:

Blueberry is starting to show some color in her leaves:

I added 4 gallons to the res, new mixture using bloom nutrient ratios. Turned off the humidifier. Turned the fan to high. Raised the light about 6" to put some space between it and the White Widow.

Someone wake me up when it's time to harvest. 😎

Top Bottom