Grow deux - Critical Kush in rural Thailand

• Thread starter IsanFarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

Some photos from day 54 and the 15th day of flower. I think they might stretch a little more in the next week but the majority of this is over now. Their heights are starting to even out now which is great. It's so much easier to care for these when you're not using a net and have limited space, so in future I think I'll continue to grow this way in this tent but with my next run I think I'm going to buy another light and scale things up. When I have two lights I'm not going to bother with a tent but how many plants I'll grow and whether I'll use a trellis to train the plants with is yet to be decided, I may just continue to grow with 9 plants under each light and no nets depending on the yield when I harvest these.

20231103 095008
20231103 095018
20231103 095026
20231103 095034
20231103 095047
Sunasun

Sunasun

Some photos from day 54 and the 15th day of flower. I think they might stretch a little more in the next week but the majority of this is over now. Their heights are starting to even out now which is great. It's so much easier to care for these ..when you're not using a net and have limited space, so in future I think I'll continue to grow this way in this tent but with my next run I think I'm going to buy another light and scale things up. When I have two lights I'm not going to bother with a tent but how many plants I'll grow and whether I'll use a trellis to train the plants with is yet to be decided, I may just continue to grow with 9 plants under each light and no nets depending on the yield when I harvest these.
If you want to get 30 ounces in there, you'll need to raise your light to the top of the tent and adjust intensity to compensate for the lowered ppfd. But all your plants leaves are shying away from your light, so it may be good to lower that ppfd until you get into flower. Too much light will hinder root development . Good luck.

IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

Day 57 and the 18th day of flower. I've raised the light to 19" from the tallest plant and 26" from the shortest so they're getting between 460 and 580 PPFD with the light at 70%

I reduced the EC to 1 for the last feed but the nutrient burn seems to be getting worse (photos 1 and 2) on some of the plants. Like an idiot I left them for 4 days without water because I thought the soil was moist enough 3 days after watering but on day 4 the soil had almost completely dried out which I think has contributed to making the nutrient burn worse.

Yesterday I defoliated but I also think that I should lollipop these now? If I lollipop them should I also remove the leaves at the top of the canopy ( photos 1 and 5) that are blocking bud sites, or will it be too damaging to the plant to remove leaves from the top of the canopy too?

Please help @Trash_2002 I need some of your expert advice here! My plan is to lollipop ASAP and remove ALL leaves blocking bud sites, even at the top of the canopy, and to reduce the next feed to .9 EC? Am I giving them too much light? I'm using molasses and seaweed in between feeds, maybe I should cut out the seaweed?

20231106 083007
20231106 083028
20231106 083039
20231106 083117
20231106 083127
Trash_2002

Trash_2002

i had something similar this weekend.. it went crazy hot for two days here and they got 1-2 days with very little water in the substrate, vpd went very high and some top burn occured, i will have to start feeding one more day during the week so they don't get too thirst.

What seaweed you using that same old one? that one wasn't for soil drench right? i would leave it out and start watering them more often probly, the plants can take a lot of light if the other inputs are correct and plenty.

Now its more clear that some of the phenos there are hungry, and some deficiency happening on those phenos too, bump fert back to ~1.2EC and water more often, don't let the substrate dry too heavily between feeds/waterings, but still with sensible drybacks always to let the oxigen be replenished in the media.

Btw how's the average RH there during the days?

IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

i had something similar this weekend.. it went crazy hot for two days here and they got 1-2 days with very little water in the substrate, vpd went very high and some top burn occured, i will have to start feeding one more day during the week so they don't get too thirst.

What seaweed you using that same old one? that one wasn't for soil drench right? i would leave it out and start watering them more often probly, the plants can take a lot of light if the other inputs are correct and plenty.

Now its more clear that some of the phenos there are hungry, and some deficiency happening on those phenos too, bump fert back to ~1.2EC and water more often, don't let the substrate dry too heavily between feeds/waterings, but still with sensible drybacks always to let the oxigen be replenished in the media.

Btw how's the average RH there during the days?

Yes I'm using the same seaweed because someone told me that all liquid seaweed is more or less the same, but I will stop using it now just to be sure.

I was watering every 3 days but for some reason I decided to wait 4 days in between the last two which was a mistake and I won't be doing that again because the substrate got dangerously dry.

I find it very hard to determine whether the condition of the leaves is due to nutrient excess or nutrient deficiency because the symptoms can be very similar, but I trust you when you say it is a deficiency in this case and I will feed at 1.2 next time.

What about lollipopping? Shall I do this now and if so shall I also remove leaves at the top of the canopy that are blocking bud sites? Oh yeah, the RH where I am in North Eastern Thailand is very high at the moment and it's above 70% everyday so my dehumidifier is on 24/7 to bring the RH in the room down to where I want it at around 55%

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Yes I'm using the same seaweed because someone told me that all liquid seaweed is more or less the same, but I will stop using it now just to be sure.

I was watering every 3 days but for some reason I decided to wait 4 days in between the last two which was a mistake and I won't be doing that again because the substrate got dangerously dry.

I find it very hard to determine whether the condition of the leaves is due to nutrient excess or nutrient deficiency because the symptoms can be very similar, but I trust you when you say it is a deficiency in this case and I will feed at 1.2 next time.

What about lollipopping? Shall I do this now and if so shall I also remove leaves at the top of the canopy that are blocking bud sites? Oh yeah, the RH where I am in North Eastern Thailand is very high at the moment and it's above 70% everyday so my dehumidifier is on 24/7 to bring the RH in the room down to where I want it at around 55%
RH 55-60% for leds plants do like it more for sure :-) only go 50% RH and lower temperatures last two weeks or so of flowering.
1.2EC is pretty ok for those size plants week 5 you can bump it to 1.5EC, but water more often so there's more leaching and also more water content in the media on average.

i'm away from my plants every weekend, the grow its on another location and not where i live, this weekend it got crazy sunny and hot, even tho the temperatures were ok in the grow, substrate dried too much too fast and RH went to 40-45% they don't like that at all with leds, got in the grow today to see some water/overfert stress not really droopy but some fried leaves margins because of too high EC in the dried media and lack of water with high light intensity.

Since going crazy with light intensity as a test The plants are drinking like beasties, this round gonna have to do feeding/"watering" every other day here, but the extra "watering" day needed will be with only magnesium sulfate.

So it will be mon - feed, wed - 0.4EC Mag sulfate "watering", friday - feed, to have a better equilibrium of media EC and water content overall, and im planning in bumping even higher the lights intensity end of this week (start of week 5 flowering) atm is 750ppfd and end of this week will be 900ppfd, so they gonna really need the extra watering day.

Last edited:
IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

I'm away from my plants every weekend, the grow its on another location and not where i live, this weekend it got crazy sunny and hot, even tho the temperatures were ok in the grow, substrate dried too much too fast and RH went to 40-45% they don't like that at all with leds, got in the grow today to see some water/overfert stress not really droopy but some fried leaves margins because of too high EC in the dried media and lack of water with high light intensity.

Wow I assumed your grow was in the same place you live and considering it isn't and you're not even there for two days a week I'm more impressed with what you have achieved. I know I am listening to the right advice!

im planning in bumping even higher the lights intensity end of this week (start of week 5 flowering) atm is 750ppfd and end of this week will be 900ppfd, so they gonna really need the extra watering day.

Yes, I am also planning to increase the light intensity to those sort of levels as I progress into the later stages of flower. What about lollipping my plants Trash? Friday will be three weeks in flower so I think I ought to do this in the next few days? And what about the fan leaves at the top of the canopy (see photos) that are blocking bud sites? Shall I remove them too? Or will it be too damaging to the plants to remove so many of the leaves?

20231107 075751
20231107 075801
Trash_2002

Trash_2002

yep some lollipoping is good, defoliation i'm not sure since they are recovering and aren't that dense, if you do it do it very lightly selective defoliation.

IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

yep some lollipoping is good, defoliation i'm not sure since they are recovering and aren't that dense, if you do it do it very lightly selective defoliation.

Oh fuck. Before you got back to me I made the decision to lollipop them and I've taken off 90% of the leaves so all that's left now are the flowers. They look so bare now. I'll take some photos and post them tomorrow but I get the feeling I've gone way overboard with this and I've fucked these plants up now!

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Oh fuck. Before you got back to me I made the decision to lollipop them and I've taken off 90% of the leaves so all that's left now are the flowers. They look so bare now. I'll take some photos and post them tomorrow but I get the feeling I've gone way overboard with this and I've fucked these plants up now!
oh nooooo they gonna die in misery! LOL JKJK
relax and watch them grow! they will be ready before you travel;

Otto Bonn

Otto Bonn

Nah, I think you're fine, as a rule I don't take fans from the top colas. At times you have one of those long stem fans up there that I'll take but I prefer to let the top fans provide for the bud through maturation. Trash knows his shit, I've picked up a few tips along the way from him. He's got you

Sunasun

Sunasun

Post a picture

IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

Day 59 / 20th day of flower

Do you think I went a little OTT with the lollipopping @Trash_2002 ? Critical Kush is supposed to be a high yielder but I'm a little disappointed with the bud structure so far. There's lots of bud sites but they're not very fat as it stands. Or do things look about right after 20 days of flower? There's still about 4 and a half weeks of flower to go, do you think they'll fatten up nicely by then?

20231108 134217
20231108 134225
20231108 134232
20231108 134242
20231108 134249
20231108 134254
20231108 134300
20231108 134311
Trash_2002

Trash_2002

they look ok, some phenos are droopy, this is what you have to discover if its environment related or watering frequency/feedings related.

for 20 days they look decent they will still bulk up a lot for sure, they could be better if everything was dialed in, you gonna learn to master the craft with time, research and experience, for a second grow the important thing is that you are getting your medicine and having fun along the way :-)

IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

they look ok, some phenos are droopy, this is what you have to discover if its environment related or watering frequency/feedings related.

for 20 days they look decent they will still bulk up a lot for sure, they could be better if everything was dialed in, you gonna learn to master the craft with time, research and experience, for a second grow the important thing is that you are getting your medicine and having fun along the way :-)

Yes you're right and as with everything, I will get better with experience. The irony here is that I harvested 10 ounces of quality weed from 3 plants with my first grow, and as it stands it looks like I'm going to harvest less from 9 plants with my second grow! I think that was just beginner's luck. The important thing is that I am enjoying this new hobby and I am willing to learn.

If I'm honest I haven't been devoting enough time to this grow because I have so much going on in my life at the moment (setting up a farm, trying to grow a business) and I'm also trying to adjust to a completely different way of life because up until the beginning of the year I'd lived in cities all my life. I will get there in the end though.

I'm going to start my next run at the beginning of next year after we have a holiday, and it's going to be the Royal Cheese strain. I've got 10 seeds but I'm yet to decide how many I will grow. I'm putting my plans to buy more equipment and scale things up on hold for the time being because I don't want to do that until I have done at least one more grow and have more experience. I am going to be patient and don't want to run before I can walk if you know what I mean?

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Yes you're right and as with everything, I will get better with experience. The irony here is that I harvested 10 ounces of quality weed from 3 plants with my first grow, and as it stands it looks like I'm going to harvest less from 9 plants with my second grow! I think that was just beginner's luck. The important thing is that I am enjoying this new hobby and I am willing to learn.

If I'm honest I haven't been devoting enough time to this grow because I have so much going on in my life at the moment (setting up a farm, trying to grow a business) and I'm also trying to adjust to a completely different way of life because up until the beginning of the year I'd lived in cities all my life. I will get there in the end though.

I'm going to start my next run at the beginning of next year after we have a holiday, and it's going to be the Royal Cheese strain. I've got 10 seeds but I'm yet to decide how many I will grow. I'm putting my plans to buy more equipment and scale things up on hold for the time being because I don't want to do that until I have done at least one more grow and have more experience. I am going to be patient and don't want to run before I can walk if you know what I mean?
Yep and another thing is starting cloning the best phenotypes to keep them around for as long as you want.
The ones with the best terpenes, the stronger most vigorous or the best yielders, or a equilibrium of everything is even better imo :-)
That's when your game gonna change a lot; cause you will have experience to how each phenotype responds, what they like environment and feedings wise, what's their structure, how much they stretch in flower etc etc etc.;

And if you find something truly amazing, you can keep it pretty much forever with a little bit of work.

rasterman

rasterman

In my first grow I used prepackaged nutes and followed the program and my yield was really good. Since then I've been doing my own thing and learning. So after 3 years this month, I'm finally getting back to consistently doing as well as those first harvests.

IsanFarmer

IsanFarmer

Yep and another thing is starting cloning the best phenotypes to keep them around for as long as you want.
The ones with the best terpenes, the stronger most vigorous or the best yielders, or a equilibrium of everything is even better imo :-)
That's when your game gonna change a lot; cause you will have experience to how each phenotype responds, what they like environment and feedings wise, what's their structure, how much they stretch in flower etc etc etc.;

And if you find something truly amazing, you can keep it pretty much forever with a little bit of work.

I've only got one 3x4 metre room to grow in which is probably just about big enough to partition so that I have a flowering area, but it would make things a bit crowded. The main problem with keeping mother plants for me is not being able to go anywhere om holiday because you need to be around to care for your plants all the time. I'm yet to find someone that lives nearby that I could trust to take care of them when I'm not around. This is only a hobby and I don't want it to prevent me from having holidays!

I've been using Dutch Pro nutrients Trash but for some reason they instruct you to set the EC before (see photo) you add all of the other nutrients? Yesterday I mixed up A and B with CalMag to give me the 1.2 EC I required, but after I'd added Explode the EC was 1.27. What do you think about this method? It seems to be a very unorthodox way of doing things?

In my first grow I used prepackaged nutes and followed the program and my yield was really good. Since then I've been doing my own thing and learning. So after 3 years this month, I'm finally getting back to consistently doing as well as those first harvests.

Yes there's no substitute for teaching yourself through experience and I think it's going to take me at least two years before I start to get the hang of things. What sort of a setup do you have and how many plants do you grow at a time? What sort of yields are you getting now?

Dutch Pro
rasterman

rasterman

I've only got one 3x4 metre room to grow in which is probably just about big enough to partition so that I have a flowering area, but it would make things a bit crowded. The main problem with keeping mother plants for me is not being able to go anywhere om holiday because you need to be around to care for your plants all the time. I'm yet to find someone that lives nearby that I could trust to take care of them when I'm not around. This is only a hobby and I don't want it to prevent me from having holidays!

I've been using Dutch Pro nutrients Trash but for some reason they instruct you to set the EC before (see photo) you add all of the other nutrients? Yesterday I mixed up A and B with CalMag to give me the 1.2 EC I required, but after I'd added Explode the EC was 1.27. What do you think about this method? It seems to be a very unorthodox way of doing things?

Yes there's no substitute for teaching yourself through experience and I think it's going to take me at least two years before I start to get the hang of things. What sort of a setup do you have and how many plants do you grow at a time? What sort of yields are you getting now?
I've got a 4x4 crammed full of #5s in various stages of flower. One plant's in a #7. I've got about 850 watts mixed COB LEDs.

Yields vary. Usually 2-3 oz/plant, sometimes a little more or even less, but that's a lot of harvests. I'm moving to Home Depot buckets though, because I realized they have the same footprint in the tent but hold a lot more living soil (five actual gallons). I think that'll put my yields where I want them.

Then I have a separate veg area with a cheapish 250W LED and a 315W CMH. Parked there, are the next ladies-in-waiting and clones of everything in the 4x4 along with other clones. Also an auto breeding project. Space is crazy-limited, so I rotate plants around like a scientist on the ISS.

Top Bottom