Grow Journal - A Noobie Diary.

• Thread starter iTurniGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Kind words lol. Would you also flower now?, I need to try do something about the humidity don't I¿

I'm worried about the light at the sides of the plants since the lux is so low. The centre two are okay though..
Yeah I would flip, the sooner the better.

iTurniGrow

iTurniGrow

So instead of buying poles I've opted for going for something like this to hold up the lights

🤔

I'll just tie it on each end of the tent
I think it'll do quite nicely instead of buying 2 new poles

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Th amount of these I've bought already... top customer lol.

Yea, I've discovered you can use 2 of them to target the light a bit more perfectly, especially with my bigger panels.

Vesti Bule

Vesti Bule

Th amount of these I've bought already... top customer lol.

Once again, your plants look amazing, and for new growers you and your friends are intuiting good advice from bad and making pretty much all the right choices. Really well done!

Yes, flower soon for sure, and definitely move the lights around into more of the "four cornered" pattern you indicate which will give you a really nice spread (I love the QB's for this reason - people do get good yields from COBs and other LED configurations but I don't think they're at all comparable from a coverage and penetration standpoint).

At this stage it might make sense to arrange the plants as you imagine them during flower (spread them out a bit, in other words), and take stock of how little space you have between them to work with. You might be surprised how little wiggle room there is even as they are now, and imagine them doubling in size from here - meaning, even 12/12 now will result in a two-week(ish) stretch that might make for a slightly cramped tent.

Will you defoliate? Lots of different opinions on this, and I'm sure @Aqua Man and @Frankster (among others) can provide more sage wisdom than I can, but here is my two cents: I would remove all of the fan leaves now. This will give a better sense of the "bones" of the plants, will allow for some training (if you are doing any) by getting a lot of biomass out of the way, and in a week's time there will be practically no evidence that you ever pruned anything. What will happen, at least in my experience, is that the plants will grow out from that point with a much higher proportion of branches and nodes than if left entirely to themselves - it almost seems to invert the fan leaf to branch ratio. In any event, you'll need to do at least some removal of fans in the interest of good airflow.

In any event, really great work, and your grow is a pleasure to watch!

iTurniGrow

iTurniGrow

Thank you @Vesti Bule
Lights were out when I seen them but sorting lights tomorrow into position once that ropes arrives from Amazon. Couldn't find bars at all so gotta make bars outta rope ;p

Yeah I'll wait n see everyone's opinion on th defoliate side ^^ they've become a little uneven because of the lights now

I'll switch to flower tomorrow once I've sorted th lights, do I just go 12/12 ?
RH is still high but the fan is on all the time, both of them, so airflow is decent..

Snapchat 876529563
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Thank you @Vesti Bule
Lights were out when I seen them but sorting lights tomorrow into position once that ropes arrives from Amazon. Couldn't find bars at all so gotta make bars outta rope ;p

Yeah I'll wait n see everyone's opinion on th defoliate side ^^ they've become a little uneven because of the lights now

I'll switch to flower tomorrow once I've sorted th lights, do I just go 12/12 ?
RH is still high but the fan is on all the time, both of them, so airflow is decent..

There certainly thick and lush, and if I remember correctly there photoperiods. I run autos, so I don't do much defoliation personally, I'm kinda against it in many respects, the reading I do show it doesn't help the overall yield but that's debatable. (I'm interested in what Aqua has to say on this subject).

That said, it can help in (some) situations where photoperids have grown too large for the light footprint that they reside. The better option of course, is increasing the size of the light footprint, but that's not always an option.

All of the science based literature I read points to reduced product, and more (spindly, leafy) buds from removing foliage, but again that's just my opinion.

I do however routinely, remove some of the extra along the bottoms and I don't think it hurts to strategically remove a bit of leaves that might hinder light penetration, but I would go light, if anything. If you do so, do it before/during the flip. I certainly remove some of the under parts (early leaves) and any of the small limbs that are essentially unproductive, (snip them off) and shunt that energy into the main colas. It also helps improve air flow down there, below the canopy, which I think is very important. (less chance of mold, or infections). Usually I put some tanglefoot on the stumps at that time, and do a preventive treatment for mold/mites, if nothing more than some Dr Bonners pure castile soap (1Tbsp), and (1tsp) of canola or olive oil, in a liter of water, and spray. Using an atomizer is much more effective than a standard spray bottle, and it helps get the undersides much easier.

Since you don't have the dehumid, don't worry, your going to be in early flower for the next month, so it's not a big deal at this point. Just keep good air flow, and don't allow that tent to become a moist mess, or allow the air to stagnate whatsoever, good air flow is always critical at this stage. But it's something to think about before too long, I've done it both ways. Dehumid is certainly worthwhile considering, especially in the last month when trichomes really need that dryer air to thrive.

Turning the plants as recommended earlier is a great way of getting uniformity, I also use this technique, I think it might help add some bud sites if done correctly, as the fringes never get as much light as the center. Certainly reconfiguring them is your best option, as it sounds like they need to be spread out a bit more. (Lights I mean), and the 4x footprint looks like it's more appropriate IMO (vs a straight line of lights)

If your available, I would turn them every 12 hours or so by 90 to 180 degrees to ensure even light dispersal. Doing that seemed to really help my plants this time around, especially in tight quarters. I've always done it, but did it diligently this time around, and the results speak for themselves. You can even move one plant to another spot, and trade them into random positions, although if something looks unhealthy, I would not recommend doing this, because it could speed the spread of any problems around the tent, (fungus, bugs) but you look really healthy there, I don't see that being an issue.

Last edited:
iTurniGrow

iTurniGrow

There certainly thick and lush, and if I remember correctly there photoperiods. I run autos, so I don't do much defoliation personally, I'm kinda against it in many respects, the reading I do show it doesn't help the overall yield but that's debatable. (I'm interested in what Aqua has to say on this subject).

That said, it can help in (some) situations where photoperids have grown too large for the light footprint that they reside. The better option of course, is increasing the size of the light footprint, but that's not always an option.

All of the science based literature I read points to reduced product, and more (spindly, leafy) buds from removing foliage, but again that's just my opinion.

I do however routinely, remove some of the extra along the bottoms and I don't think it hurts to strategically remove a bit of leaves that might hinder light penetration, but I would go light, if anything. If you do so, do it before/during the flip. I certainly remove some of the under parts (early leaves) and any of the small limbs that are essentially unproductive, (snip them off) and shunt that energy into the main colas. It also helps improve air flow down there, below the canopy, which I think is very important. (less chance of mold, or infections). Usually I put some tanglefoot on the stumps at that time, and do a preventive treatment for mold/mites, if nothing more than some Dr Bonners pure castile soap (1Tbsp), and (1tsp) of canola or olive oil, in a liter of water, and spray. Using an atomizer is much more effective than a standard spray bottle, and it helps get the undersides much easier.

Since you don't have the dehumid, don't worry, your going to be in early flower for the next month, so it's not a big deal at this point. Just keep good air flow, and don't allow that tent to become a moist mess, or allow the air to stagnate whatsoever, good air flow is always critical at this stage. But it's something to think about before too long, I've done it both ways. Dehumid is certainly worthwhile considering, especially in the last month when trichomes really need that dryer air to thrive.

Turning the plants as recommended earlier is a great way of getting uniformity, I also use this technique, I think it might help add some bud sites if done correctly, as the fringes never get as much light as the center. Certainly reconfiguring them is your best option, as it sounds like they need to be spread out a bit more. (Lights I mean), and the 4x footprint looks like it's more appropriate IMO (vs a straight line of lights)

If your available, I would turn them every 12 hours or so by 90 to 180 degrees to ensure even light dispersal. Doing that seemed to really help my plants this time around, especially in tight quarters. I've always done it, but did it diligently this time around, and the results speak for themselves. You can even move one plant to another spot, and trade them into random positions, although if something looks unhealthy, I would not recommend doing this, because it could speed the spread of any problems around the tent, (fungus, bugs) but you look really healthy there, I don't see that being an issue.

Yeah they're not autos =p If we're removing on th bottom we'll definitely go light for sure
Snip them off is just the same as pulling them off ?
I'll try save up for a dehumibidifer, the airflow is always on constant and I hear thats th best way to have it, less chance of mold etc.
I'll turn them every time I can then :)
Tonight I'll have the lights in position, haven't seen them today, hopefully they haven't stretched too much at the sides lol
So all I need to do is change the lights to 12 - 12?
Thinking 9am on till 9pm then back off until 9 am.

iTurniGrow

iTurniGrow

Okay they got a slight trim.
Lights have been changed to go off tomorrow at 9 am and come back on 9pm.

Slight issue.. if its meant to be completely 2009292% dark what do people do for the sides of the tent as pictured

Lights were moved only the back two are getting slightly less light

Snapchat 1778562915
Snapchat 702634142
Snapchat 2030972312
Snapchat 2123210517
Snapchat 284202490
Snapchat 1706087702
Snapchat 260280310
Snapchat 1023609846
Snapchat 1513714763
Snapchat 91346058
BigFrostyNugs

BigFrostyNugs

Slight issue.. if its meant to be completely 2009292% dark what do people do for the sides of the tent as pictured

We are getting close now

Vesti Bule

Vesti Bule

There's usually a flap to cover the viewing windows that secures with a zipper or more likely velcro. In the pic, it looks like that flap is rolled up next to the opening (pic's not super clear).

BigFrostyNugs

BigFrostyNugs

Slowly but surely, letsgooo XD
OK guys we are looking for some more advice as we have just flipped to flower. We need to feed them again in a couple days how much should we increase the ppm? last feed was 600ppm should we still feed the biogrow for the next feed and when do we start using bio bloom?

any tips/info that you guys can give for the Flowering stage would be great we just don't want to mess this part up lol

iTurniGrow

iTurniGrow

There's usually a flap to cover the viewing windows that secures with a zipper or more likely velcro. In the pic, it looks like that flap is rolled up next to the opening (pic's not super clear).

Thats where the air flow goes in? I can't cover it or there will be no air going in? =p
So I was slightly confused on how people dealt with it lol.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thats where the air flow goes in? I can't cover it or there will be no air going in? =p
Take a cardboard box tape it to tent so it covers the vent. Then cut a hole on the backside by the wall where there is no light. That way it can still draw air in no problem and the light is eliminated.

iTurniGrow

iTurniGrow

Take a cardboard box tape it to tent so it covers the vent. Then cut a hole on the backside by the wall where there is no light. That way it can still draw air in no problem and the light is eliminated.

Okay so your idea lik the first one covering it n taped
The holes on th inside of th tent yeah? 1 or 2 for th hole?

EDIT; I think I picked it up completely wrong, so th cardboard is going on th inside of th tent..? 😨

Also my friend has his own wee idea of creating it at an angle n covering th side also pictured

Top marks for paint

Xd1
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter

Yea, either fashion a box filter as Aqua describes, and/or use the room as a filter for the light (I don't know if the room is used for other things as well) But you've got to get it completely dark in there, while maintaining the air flow, be creative. Possibly some flexible duct might help mitigate that as well.

Good job with the trim btw, and don't worry about the stretch, you could benefit from some stretching there, those girls are tight as hell. There going to explode after this.

iTurniGrow

iTurniGrow

Yea, either fashion a box filter as Aqua describes, and/or use the room as a filter for the light (I don't know if the room is used for other things as well) But you've got to get it completely dark in there, while maintaining the air flow, be creative. Possibly some flexible duct might help mitigate that as well.

Good job with the trim btw, and don't worry about the stretch, you could benefit from some stretching there, those girls are tight as hell. There going to explode after this.

The room isn't used for anything else so just the light that comes in the window.. maybe just cover that n we're good then:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom