Grow Room A/C

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
KtidyFarms

KtidyFarms

Or low charge, and by the big bulge (filter drier) just before entering the trane unit that its probally a straight a/c.

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

@CannabisJohn when would you recommend a commercially made (not homegrown) swamp cooler over an air conditioner? For example in southwest CO, AZ, etc most homes use swamp coolers because the weather is predictably dry. But pretty everywhere else I know uses AC. At what predictably "low and high" temperatures/humidity do swamp coolers become more efficient money wise in a grow room? The unit is just treating the grow rooms not the home. Thx

Last edited:
CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

@CannabisJohn when would you recommend a commercially made (not homegrown) swamp cooler over an air conditioner? For example in southwest CO, AZ, etc most homes use swamp coolers because the weather is predictably dry. But pretty everywhere else I know uses AC. At what predictably "low and high" temperatures/humidity do swamp coolers become more efficient money wise in a grow room? The unit is just treating the grow rooms not the home. Thx

I'm sure some growers have used them in really dry climates in reasonable weather. But in hot weather no way because swamp coolers wouldn't remove enough sensible heat (heat u can measure with a thermometer). Plus it would have room humidity all over the place. If any one is using a swamp cooler with great success, please speak up. I say a swamp cooler may help maintain humidity especially in veg.

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

Evap coolers work awesome as sumplemental cooling or RH booster. Not both and Not a replacement for an AC in most setups.

If its a sealed room once your RH is to a certain point it's cooling ability is greatly hindered. But can raise your RH better than a humidifier.

If its an intake/exhaust setup. It will curb 5-10 degrees but the RH will stay low.

blazer

blazer

Yeah would agree with CJ don't think would be able to cool room full of lights as a swamp cooler removes no heat, just dumps large amounts of moist air across your body simulating sweat and wind hitting you cool Ing your body some, but walls and objects still retain heat, Evaporative(swamp) cooler push large amounts of air and bring in 100% outside air so if you got somebody with a male in the area or bugs or spores can be brought in easily
Temps would have to be under 95f and humidy really under 30% anything more and they drastically reduce efficiency

Also with a swamper you would need to keep that air moving also so all that air pumped in would also have to be let out also and a swamper will push double the amount of air as central A/C so a big exhaust where you could have odor issues escaping
Unit would run constantly while lights On,wouldn't cycle off like central A/C and they use a lot of water also, high maintenance also!

Last edited:
WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

The enviro controller turns my swampy on and off according to the RH. It's not a down draft style and my room is sealed so it just cycles my CO2 enriched air until my target RH is reached. It does use a shit ton of water and its gotta be RO water or else it will deposit minerals all over your grow room.

blazer

blazer

For cooling it wouldn't shut off though wouldn't imagine the RO would Not be a issue used in homes with some nasty hard water and no Mineral deposits but will blow mineral build up from inside the cooler if that's what you mean but shouldn't be no deposits that stick to objects just debris type and rust sometimes Nothing drastic though usually just dust on first start up of year and some through out season nothing crazy, damn swampers sorry I work on swampers a lot and they are maintenance hogs compared to central A/C And don't actually remove heat they give you a cooling affect of sorts! Keep the bearings oiled a squeaky bearing can be heard through the neighborhood lol

Last edited:
blazer

blazer

The enviro controller turns my swampy on and off according to the RH. It's not a down draft style and my room is sealed so it just cycles my CO2 enriched air until my target RH is reached. It does use a shit ton of water and its gotta be RO water or else it will deposit minerals all over your grow room.
I take your swamper is being used as humidifier? Unit is in room just recycling its own air not pulling outside air if it's a sealed room, they work great in this configuration really think you could do with Out the RO imo

mojavegreen

mojavegreen

Ha ha, you guys funny. My swampy works great!
1st rule of swampy cooling is exhausting. Now most folks home use a blower in the swamp, forcing air into home/area creating positive pressure. One must have adequate ventilation to allow the air to escape. Swamped need access to lots of dry air to be effective. Windows open, popup vents in ceiling, screen doors etc.
I wanted negative pressure to govern in my grow room so I gutted my swamp cooler of the motor and squirrel cage. All that's left are pads, rez and pump to keep pads moist. It is now a passive intake. I use carbon prefilter material in conjunction with aspen cooler pads for filtering air. I installed 14" canfan on top of 5' carbon filter, which exhausts through the ceiling of veg room. This draws cool moist air through the swampy into veg/lung room. That air is circulated in/out of bloom room via 2 10" can fans.
I have 980cf grow room divided into a 7x7 bloom, 13x7 veg/clone/rez room. 1200w in bloom, 600w in veg room.
July/August? Lol, i don't bloom that time of year. That's deep cleaning time for next season. Here in the mojave, despite swamp cooling, I still have to humidify room to keep my desired rh.
Swampy fed ro waste water.

blazer

blazer

Sweet set up @mojavegreen what kind temps you achieving in peak temps, with the exhaust you constantly pulling out humidity also love seeing making what you got work, but a mini split would be so much more efficient imo

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

I take your swamper is being used as humidifier? Unit is in room just recycling its own air not pulling outside air if it's a sealed room, they work great in this configuration really think you could do with Out the RO imo
Yup. Just a super cheap way to pump cool moist air around my hot dry room.

I'd love to stop using RO. This is the only thing I use it for. I started off using regular water and had mineral dust everywhere, not cool. My room sits at 70% RH.

blazer

blazer

Yup. Just a super cheap way to pump cool moist air around my hot dry room.

I'd love to stop using RO. This is the only thing I use it for. I started off using regular water and had mineral dust everywhere, not cool. My room sits at 70% RH.
Maybe mix half and half on the RO & tap may help so not so much demand on the RO If haven't already tried, not sure what type of pads you are using may change out more often f needed to help with dust or just keep using your RO you no how it is I gotta overthink it, I just no my baby RO System doesent keep with demand at certain times!

mojavegreen

mojavegreen

Sweet set up @mojavegreen what kind temps you achieving in peak temps, with the exhaust you constantly pulling out humidity also love seeing making what you got work, but a mini split would be so much more efficient imo
I can keep grow about 15 degrees below ambient. When the desert starts hitting 100, (bout mid June) I shut down flower till September.
If you can find me mini split that will cool my room on 250 watts (14" cancan=200 watts+50 watts for swamp water pump) I'll buy it!
PS
I run bloom at night, swamp keeps up no problem with cool night air.

Last edited:
blazer

blazer

Yeah I hear yeah but a swamper runs constant while lights on along with pump and fans a inverter mini split will cycle and have a much shorter run time and in July August you won't skip a beat a lot less moving parts to worry about but like I said love the set up and engineering!

blazer

blazer

Just depends on ambient conditions on if they work or how efficient they work is the problem with Evaporative cooling that's the issue If conditions are not rite it don't work such as over 100 or high humidity levels outside so many variables so for some it may work for others not an option if it works for you run with it just giving some knowledge so this may help others who question what type of system to use in there set up Swampers can have there place for sure just got be aware of environment when going to use one, such as during our rainy season when the humidity comes around June over here and the swampers go to shit and don't cool properly as where a refrigerated unit will not skip a beat just stuff to be aware of when choosing a cooling system

Top Bottom