Grow Room A/C

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dirk d

dirk d

Hi CJ, i need to do something about my AC right away. i have a 14k portable pos delonghi that for some reason doesnt even cool when all my lights are off. I have 2 flower rooms i need to figure out the AC for.

First room is a 15' x 15' room with 8 1/2' ceilings. right now i have 4600w vertical bare bulbs. 7 wall mounted fans. I would like to increase the watts to 6000w. was thinking about a 22k LG mini split for this room.

then i have a connected 10' x 10' room that i have 1800w vertical bare bulb. 6 wall mounted fans. I would like to run around 3k in this room. was thinking about another 22k LG mini split for this room as well. Both rooms are connected by a door that i leave open. thanks.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Yea, we did, I'm getting closer to the decision point (mother nature is forcing it), so I need to pull the trigger on something. I think it will carry less of a load then if it were cooling a server room (which it was designed for). If I'm spending 5-7 hundred on something, it better work as I hope, and get a decent lifespan. . .Thanks for your reply (again!).

outwest

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Here's a link I just found: http://www.sylvane.com/dual-hose-portable-ac.html (promise I'm not shilling for them) which sems to sell the better dual-hose models. Again, even for the ones claiming no negative pressure, I'd be skeptical about it being totally sealed until taking the case apart to look. Also just found an idea on another forum from a guy who uses an inline with speed reducer set to force just enough air to the intake, apparently overcoming the unit's sucking tendency (really not trying to be funny anymore, just easiest way to explain it).

orbad

orbad

I have a 12x12x7 basement with a 4x4 tent with a vented 600w light. I would like to be able to triple this setup.

3 walls abut soil, one is exposed to shaded open air with a 3x3 window in the stairwell. Ceiling is insulated with r-13 with a evap cooled house above.

I would like instal a window unit to cool the room and recirculate air from the tent to the room with a scrubber. How big does it need to be? Are there any window units to stay away from? I'm in the central valley and it gets into the 100's.

Thanks for the help guys.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
OK - this is what I think I've landed on http://www.air-n-water.com/product/ac-12000e.htm

My biggest concern with all of these is humidity. I live in an arid climate, and need to humidify year round. Am I creating problems by making the two devices (ac and humidifier) work against each other?

outwest

silverhaze

silverhaze

Hi - I run a sealed room using window mount a/c units and I have just had the worst luck imaginable. On my third unit in a year and this one ain't going to work out either. I ran one that was too weak into the ground, the next two in a row had manufacturer defects (and it's not the kind of thing you can get a technician to come in and look at if you know what I mean). anyhow room is sealed, 8x9x8' running 3000 w with c02. My current window a/c is 12,000 btu's and cools more than enough as my hoods are vented with over 1000cfms moving the air. That a/c can keep the room as cold as I want on low and still have lots in reserve. I'm fed up and ready for a mini- split and thinking about the 12,000btu Soleus mini-split. Will that a. be enough to cool the room in so cal summers (I run the lights at night), b. will the dehumidifier have the capacity to keep the RH in check? Kind of nervous about someone coming in to install that I don't know as well. Is it something I can install myself? I'm really handy but no expert in a/c's. Does this unit need to be "charged"? Found a unit on sale for under $500 http://airconditioner.com/SpecialPr...US HEAT PUMP 9000BTU $399.99 12000BTU $479.00 and wonder if it is enough for my small room. Thanks so much for your advice.

it is a 13 seer unit... why upgrade to an inefficient mini? spend some extra money and get a higher seer with dc inverter. You'll make up the extra money in efficiency

BigBlueBuds

BigBlueBuds

CJ,
Posted this in cooling design section and was told to come here cause you are the man!

Helping a new set up get going.
The flower room will have:
8 x 1000 watters
4 x 600 watters
Total watts = 10400
Plus 2 or 3 70 pint dehus
And of course C02 burner

Climate= Pacific Northwest

I'm leaning towards a mini/split dual zone unit with 60,000 btu cooling capacity. It's avaliable at thermospace.com..

Please advice, suggestions.
Noise is a concern as well as cost..haha
Thanks!

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

I meant with all of these these is a de-huey built in.
I dunno, that one looks suspect to me, single hose so sucker for sure. That thermospace link has some good deals on dual hose too.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I dunno, that one looks suspect to me, single hose so sucker for sure. That thermospace link has some good deals on dual hose too.

I am fucking lost, don't know shit when it comes to this shit, and there are a million and one options. EC - I'll just tell you about my setup, and maybe you can suggest an AC. I'd be grateful.

I have 2 tents. Main tent is a 4x4 with 1200w (600mh/600hps) in growzilla hood. The light is vented with a 6" active air, and the tent has air pull through a scrubber via a second 6" active air. My second tent is for mothers/clones, and I've only got flouros in there. . .not as concerned about that tent. These are both right next to each other, next to a window, against a wall, in one corner of the basement. I'm in an arid climate and use a humidifier to keep things about 50-60% rh pretty consistently.

What do you think El Cerebro. Can you help a clueless farmer? I'll try to give you any other details you need. THANKS.

outwest

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

In your situation I'd just make sure it's a dual hose (don't own one but spt, whytner, and fried rich look solid from the reviews). Some of the ones sold for server rooms say to just dump exhaust into a drop ceiling, maybe that's why those rooms are always hot as hell? Anyway, you could place it in the lung area or inside the flower tent, whichever works better. Main thing is not to suck out all the cool air/co2 and stink out through the exhaust, and the better quality duals should do okay if you don't need absolute smellproof. If you have to scrub the exhaust just oversize the filter cfms from the AC specs (one of my crappy modded portables is 9k and 670cfm from the condenser fan).

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Hmmm. I think I'm a little more confused. :confused: Excuse my absolute ignorance in this arena.

The AC has to be outside the tent. I'm not sure what you mean by lung area. I have the bottom of the tent open and the fan sucks through a filter at the top. In theory there is an upward flow of air.

Thanks again.

outwest

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Yeah lung just means airspace outside your tents since they're sharing it via fan, the space you'll cool. Probably simpler than I'm making it sound.

Oh, and worth noting, the single hose models,will also suck out that humidity you're adding, and use it to feed mold in the heating duct you plan to exhaust into. The ones that brag about evaping the condensate through the exhaust, well those add an extra special jungle touch if not vented directly outside (can usually be bypass modded with a drain hose). Hell, maybe if you added some kind of uv germicide thngy in the catch tank, you could even recycle that into humidity again?

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I think I'll just place it out side the intake of the tent at the bottom, so it sucks the cold air up and out. It's probably 60 outside, 72 inside, and 78 in the tent right now. I'm running the lights at 75% right now and definitely want to crank them to 100% but definitely need to get the ac in first.

outwest

silverhaze

silverhaze

it is a 13 seer unit... why upgrade to an inefficient mini? spend some extra money and get a higher seer with dc inverter. You'll make up the extra money in efficiency

Any suggestions as to what you mean here? I didn't know that unit was inefficient, gets great reviews. Thanks

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

I think I'll just place it out side the intake of the tent at the bottom, so it sucks the cold air up and out. It's probably 60 outside, 72 inside, and 78 in the tent right now. I'm running the lights at 75% right now and definitely want to crank them to 100% but definitely need to get the ac in first.

outwest
Sounds good, you gotta get those ballasts turned up asap bro. When you dim hids you're really losing all the right wavelengths of light, much worse than full power with a smaller bulb. There's a solid article on this in the truth about dimmable ballasts thread.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Sounds good, you gotta get those ballasts turned up asap bro. When you dim hids you're really losing all the right wavelengths of light, much worse than full power with a smaller bulb. There's a solid article on this in the truth about dimmable ballasts thread.

Thanks, EC. I know there are some issues with reducing the wattage, but any problems associated with a dimmed HID can't be as bad as a tent that's too hot. FWIW, my girls have never been so vigorous. I'm running both MH and HPS so maybe that makes up for some of the spectrum lost when dimmed.

outwest

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hi CJ, i need to do something about my AC right away. i have a 14k portable pos delonghi that for some reason doesnt even cool when all my lights are off. I have 2 flower rooms i need to figure out the AC for.

First room is a 15' x 15' room with 8 1/2' ceilings. right now i have 4600w vertical bare bulbs. 7 wall mounted fans. I would like to increase the watts to 6000w. was thinking about a 22k LG mini split for this room.

then i have a connected 10' x 10' room that i have 1800w vertical bare bulb. 6 wall mounted fans. I would like to run around 3k in this room. was thinking about another 22k LG mini split for this room as well. Both rooms are connected by a door that i leave open. thanks.

1st room needs 36k unit. 2nd room should be fine at 22k with 3 kw.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

I have a 12x12x7 basement with a 4x4 tent with a vented 600w light. I would like to be able to triple this setup.

3 walls abut soil, one is exposed to shaded open air with a 3x3 window in the stairwell. Ceiling is insulated with r-13 with a evap cooled house above.

I would like instal a window unit to cool the room and recirculate air from the tent to the room with a scrubber. How big does it need to be? Are there any window units to stay away from? I'm in the central valley and it gets into the 100's.

Thanks for the help guys.

For 1800 watts I would recommend 12k unit or so. If you are super concerned about heat then get a 18k unit.

Top Bottom