Grow Room A/C

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hi - I run a sealed room using window mount a/c units and I have just had the worst luck imaginable. On my third unit in a year and this one ain't going to work out either. I ran one that was too weak into the ground, the next two in a row had manufacturer defects (and it's not the kind of thing you can get a technician to come in and look at if you know what I mean). anyhow room is sealed, 8x9x8' running 3000 w with c02. My current window a/c is 12,000 btu's and cools more than enough as my hoods are vented with over 1000cfms moving the air. That a/c can keep the room as cold as I want on low and still have lots in reserve. I'm fed up and ready for a mini- split and thinking about the 12,000btu Soleus mini-split. Will that a. be enough to cool the room in so cal summers (I run the lights at night), b. will the dehumidifier have the capacity to keep the RH in check? Kind of nervous about someone coming in to install that I don't know as well. Is it something I can install myself? I'm really handy but no expert in a/c's. Does this unit need to be "charged"? Found a unit on sale for under $500 http://airconditioner.com/SpecialProduct.php?specialID=2&type=MINI_SPLITS&title=SOLEUS HEAT PUMP 9000BTU $399.99 12000BTU $479.00 and wonder if it is enough for my small room. Thanks so much for your advice.

Stay away from Soleus. It is a POS. If you air cool the lights then 12k should work. 18k if you don't air cool the lights.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I think I'll just place it out side the intake of the tent at the bottom, so it sucks the cold air up and out. It's probably 60 outside, 72 inside, and 78 in the tent right now. I'm running the lights at 75% right now and definitely want to crank them to 100% but definitely need to get the ac in first.

outwest

You said you can't run a window shaker in this room but never explained why? If you want to go sealed room, then of course it won't matter. You also said you live in an arid area. If you have someplace around the house you could put a one or two ton chiller, not necessarily in that room, then you could run cold water lines to Ice Boxes in there, cool the room- plus tent and contents- and not worry about the dehuey effects of traditional AC. You can even cool multiple rooms and hydro systems with one chiller, just route the water to each application.

Also, are the lights in the tent sealed and vented? That can help keep temps down, too- otherwise, I would actively force cool air in the bottom of the tent with a fan and pull it out the top with another one.

Famoustoker

Famoustoker

what brands of split a/c can you recommend?
RAMSOND mine is awsome,Be sure to ask if they come charged, and w/ refridgerant (flush w/ liquid nitrogen) pro with license must do it or it will burn out in a week this all cost money add up before u buy

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Stick with fujitsu or mitsubishi for mini splits,i dont understand the reasoning behind buying cheap units to save a couple c-notes when so much is at risk.As for do it yourself installs same deal,sure you can do it but if you fub it up its gonna cost you dearly,not just a day or two of being hot til the a/c guy can get there like comfort cooling your home,its more like you come home from work and find thousands of dollars in plants and a shitload of work fried to a crisp.I am a cheap bastard and will go a long ways to save a buck but im not going too trip over pennies when it might cause me to lose dollars,If your willing to accept the DIY risks more power to you and good luck.
One last thing,If mini splits/pre-charged lines worked so great that a/c guys werent needed i guarantee that home depot would sell them as a kit but they dont because there are too many issues to deal with.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Stick with fujitsu or mitsubishi for mini splits,i dont understand the reasoning behind buying cheap units to save a couple c-notes when so much is at risk.As for do it yourself installs same deal,sure you can do it but if you fub it up its gonna cost you dearly,not just a day or two of being hot til the a/c guy can get there like comfort cooling your home,its more like you come home from work and find thousands of dollars in plants and a shitload of work fried to a crisp.I am a cheap bastard and will go a long ways to save a buck but im not going too trip over pennies when it might cause me to lose dollars,If your willing to accept the DIY risks more power to you and good luck.
One last thing,If mini splits/pre-charged lines worked so great that a/c guys werent needed i guarantee that home depot would sell them as a kit but they dont because there are too many issues to deal with.

You are preaching for me. Thanks. I don't do grow rooms to make a million. I do them so I know farmers have great units with a professional install. Avoid the cheap ones. You get what you pay for in mini splits.

hoodfarmer

hoodfarmer

hi. sorry to see the old thread got deleted. had some really good info in it. i have a grow room which is situated in a building with no a/c. it also does not have any usable windows to the outside. the entire building is about 1100 sq. ft., with poor insulation. i am running at present 2 600w lites (air cooled) ballast are in the room also. i also have carbon filter and fans for air circulation. the room demensions are about 8x12. since summer is coming up i am thinking of putting a modified window banger in since at this time i cant afford a/c for the entire building. would a 12k to 15k btu ac be enuff to cool the room? (dont have access to 220v rite now) i would not mind if temps stayed in the low to mid 80's during the hottest months. our summers here can be hot and humid. in the future i will be going with mini splits but gotta watch pennies for now.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

hi. sorry to see the old thread got deleted. had some really good info in it. i have a grow room which is situated in a building with no a/c. it also does not have any usable windows to the outside. the entire building is about 1100 sq. ft., with poor insulation. i am running at present 2 600w lites (air cooled) ballast are in the room also. i also have carbon filter and fans for air circulation. the room demensions are about 8x12. since summer is coming up i am thinking of putting a modified window banger in since at this time i cant afford a/c for the entire building. would a 12k to 15k btu ac be enuff to cool the room? (dont have access to 220v rite now) i would not mind if temps stayed in the low to mid 80's during the hottest months. our summers here can be hot and humid. in the future i will be going with mini splits but gotta watch pennies for now.

I would think that would be enough if you install properly. Good luck. I assume you are going to build a window a/c box. If so make sure you size the fan to remove heat from box is 500-600 cfm.

Coin

Coin

Hello,

Would a portable AC unit running in a tent with the exhaust being ducted out the window carry odor?

Thanks

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Hello,

Would a portable AC unit running in a tent with the exhaust being ducted out the window carry odor?

Thanks

My guess is yes as the the portable AC is not meant for odor control, and will exhaust some pretty stinky air.

outwest

jyip

jyip

You are preaching for me. Thanks. I don't do grow rooms to make a million. I do them so I know farmers have great units with a professional install. Avoid the cheap ones. You get what you pay for in mini splits.

hey wats up can john? r you the one w/the 55 or 54 chevy? i fogert if its you or hiboy,,, anyhow, i thought i remmebr ur screen from reeferman or guerillaman
hell if it u,, i was jyippieyahoo or something, short to jyip
pEACE

oh, currently my room is tweaked perfection n doin great n been smokin some kickass sttrains cuz someone i kno has a friend who gros all dif stuf, jack herer, sour patch, bluedream, purple urkle, purple kush,,purple og,

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

hey wats up can john? r you the one w/the 55 or 54 chevy? i fogert if its you or hiboy,,, anyhow, i thought i remmebr ur screen from reeferman or guerillaman
hell if it u,, i was jyippieyahoo or something, short to jyip
pEACE

oh, currently my room is tweaked perfection n doin great n been smokin some kickass sttrains cuz someone i kno has a friend who gros all dif stuf, jack herer, sour patch, bluedream, purple urkle, purple kush,,purple og,

Wish I had that vehicle. But sadly not me.

Coin

Coin

Do you know of anywhere I can purchase some kind of inline carbon filter or of a work around for ac exhaust? Thanks again for the help.

B

BrosephStalin

So I have a 29ft by 8ft6in sealed room with 7k watts in non air cooled adjust-a-wings, a 4burner c02 genny and santa fe dehuey being setup as shown in the picture. Ballasts are mounted in a separate room.
I have a trusted hvac friend installing a 36k btu Mitsubishi mr slim mini split. I was thinking of putting the indoor unit on the top wall in the middle of the row of 6kw. To me that seems it would have the best even coverage of the room.
He thinks it would be better to put it on the far left wall above the dehuey. He thinks it will be powerfull enough to cycle to room without have hot or cold areas in the room better.
He has no experience with grow rooms and this is my first sealed room, so I'm looking for some insight from people who have done this before. Thanks.
Room

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

So I have a 29ft by 8ft6in sealed room with 7k watts in non air cooled adjust-a-wings, a 4burner c02 genny and santa fe dehuey being setup as shown in the picture. Ballasts are mounted in a separate room.
I have a trusted hvac friend installing a 36k btu Mitsubishi mr slim mini split. I was thinking of putting the indoor unit on the top wall in the middle of the row of 6kw. To me that seems it would have the best even coverage of the room.
He thinks it would be better to put it on the far left wall above the dehuey. He thinks it will be powerfull enough to cycle to room without have hot or cold areas in the room better.
He has no experience with grow rooms and this is my first sealed room, so I'm looking for some insight from people who have done this before. Thanks.
View attachment 213663

First off a 36k unit maybe borderline for 7kw and rest of ur equipment. I use 6000 btus/hr per 1 kw of unvented lights. With that said the unit will not cool the room properly no matter where you put it without doing what I am about to tell you. I've done a long room like this before and the grower installed 2 large fans about 6-8 ft from indoor unit to circulate air better within room. Also I would recommend buying and installing the remote thermostat from Mitsubishi. Install it about 3/4 down the room from the indoor unit. But I would definitely install the indoor unit blowing the length of the room with remote stat installed. Good luck.

B

BrosephStalin

Ok thanks a lot, If need be I'll just run 6k. So mount it to blow the length of the room. So does 2 6" high output can-fans mounted on the ceiling pointed towards the opposite wall sound about right to circulate the air? Thanks again man for the help.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Got my Danby portable AC today. Setup was super easy. Keeping the AC at 72 keeps the tent at 77. I'm struggling with my own humidity which sucks. I think I just need to get the humidifier more directly into the tent intake. The AC dropped the RH from 55 to 45. I start flowering on Friday, so it should be ok.

outwest

Top Bottom